JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Rejoicing in Our Sufferings

Hi, Pastor Ralph,

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because we know that they teach us to learn to be patient. I have also learned more about God during these times. He never has left me, and He has always helped me through the situations. Trials also have taught me that He is patient with me, too, and for that I'm very thankful.

Perseverance is important to our lives because we cannot afford to give up. The Apostle Paul tells us not to give up the good fight. We must keep living our lives for Jesus, not only for ourselves but to help others to want to be saved and live for God, too. Perseverance also helps us build character. We are not quitters. We must not give up when trials and problems confront us. It's during those times of temptation that we need to pray for God to strengthen us and guide us into what He wants us to do. He will, too.

Tried character is something that happens when I have successfully gone through trials. Every time I experience a trial or problem, I immediately pray about it, and I never stop until the situation is over. For example, with a "tried character" I have learned more about God. He has promised that He would never leave nor forsake me, so I have learned to believe Him. I also know now that as soon as I face a trial or problem, I need to pray and trust God in all things. I already know that God has made good plans for me. The outcome is good! I agree with David A on Dec. 6 who wrote that it shows others that God is with me.

This is a good question because I know more about faith than hope. Thinking about that, I find that interesting. However, I will try to answer it. It is important to have hope because we look forward to going to heaven and being with Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage <i>why</i> should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

According to this passage we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because God uses our suffering and tribulations as a classroom to develop his character in us, specifically:Perseverance, Character and Hope.

Perseverance is importance to our lives because with it we have the capacity to hold out or bear up in the face of difficulty. It promote patience, endurance, fortitude, and steadfastness in us. Perseverance is a kind of long-suffering endurance, the long view, that under-girds our hope for eternal life with our God.

A tried character is importance to our lives because it is the result of being tested in circumstances and faithfully aligning with the character that is a distinguishing trait of Jesus' disciples.

Finally, hope is importance to our lives because it enables us to know why we are who we are and we know where we are going. Our hope is our looking forward to a future glory when we are at last at home with our God.

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage <i>why</i> should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

We should rejoice in our sufferings, because when we suffer, we as Christians turn to God

• 2 weeks later...

We are to be glad in the struggles of this life, because they are making us spiritually better people; God is using these struggles to conform us into the Image of His Son. Also, we know that the sufferings of this life doesn't compare to the glory of the one to come after we die or at Christ's return. Although hope is listed last in this question, it is essential for establishing perseverance and tried character. It is the hope of the life and the glory to come that enables us to be tried by the circustances of this life (which builds character, and integrity) and come out victorious (persevere)over the trials.

• 2 weeks later...

Because suffering and tribulations made us strong. endurance give us character and that give us hope and that hope will never disappoint us.

Because suffering and tribulations made us strong. endurance give us character and that give us hope and that hope will never disappoint us.

• 1 month later...

We can rejoice in our sufferings first by believing that our future destiny is sure and wonderful. This assurance comes by faith, and the Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are indeed children of God! Knowing this truth allows us to endure trials and suffering in this world because we know that this life is short and transitory compared to eternity which we will live with Christ. There is purpose in the Christian life as we are moving forward and toward a great future.

But what about the present? We know that our past has been forgiven, and we know our future destiny is secure. God calls us to walk in faith every day. Trials, temptation, and suffering should drive us closer to the Lord. Experience along the road of life with God in the valleys as well as on the mountaintops of our experience develops our relationship with Him. We see how God strengthens us and enables us to persevere through things that we never thought we could; and we know we could not have had it not been for the Holy Spirit of God. These are the experiences that produce Christ-like character and a stronger dependence on the power of God, where we truly see that this hope does not put us to shame (Romans 5:4).

Question 2 Answer.

We should rejoice because this builds up character, a strong Christian character.

Perserverance. Once again this will determin wether we are quitters or winners. I firmly believe that God would never give us more than we could endure. So we have to perservere to the end, this will build up Godly character in us.

Tried Character is built up through persevering through the troubles and temptations of life. How we respond to situations and events, is all character building, doing it God's way is making us more Christ like.

Hope is something we need in our lives, it is trusting (hoping) for by Faith that we will be awarded the desires of our heart by God. All things are possible with faith, faith the size of a mustard seed can move a mountain.

• 2 weeks later...

We should rejoice in sufferings, because we are being tested and tried, and it is refining our character, making us more like Jesus. In suffering, we learn to persevere, or overcome, and in perseverance we develop character; we gain experience and become better at dealing with hardships; the suffering makes us stronger; also, our hope of the glory we will share with God causes us to persevere.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage <i>why</i> should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations?

ANS - Because there is a Godly benefit in experiencing suffering if we receive it in the right spirit - the 3 attributes or blessings are listed - perseverance (or patience), character, and hope

One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

ANS. - Perseverance produces the fruit of patience, one of the fruits of the spirit; Tried character is what a true disciple really has; Hope - we know where we are going, and is the fulfillment of His promises

• 2 weeks later...

Paul is encouraging us to rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because they help us develop endurance, strength of character, and hope of salvation.

Perseverance enables us to have patience or endurance in navigating trials, developing spiritually, and working with others in building the Kingdom of God on this planet. Endurance enables us to develop spiritual understanding and wisdom. Endurance enables us to develop and take on the mind of Christ. Bottom line: without perseverance we cannot develop a Christ likeness.

It takes time and patience to develop a tried character. Tried meaning you have been tested, have lived, and grown spiritually.

Perseverance in living out the Christian faith/walk/way is living out our hope and expectation of eternal life in Jesus Christ like Abraham. Everything takes time, God's time. So we must have perseverance, character, and hope.

According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations?

Our sufferings and tibulations will bring forth a good and kind character. The things that we go through in our lives bring us closer to knowing the will of the living Christ.

One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Perseverance-when we learn to persevere we will keep going on with a steady path to learn the will of God. We will be long suffering and patien...it sounds like to me that we are developing the character of Christ.

Tried Character-when we develop a tried character we have come form being that baby Christain to the one who knows deep within who he or she is.....they may have sufferd deeply but it has only made them more deeply set in their belief and walk with the Lord.

Hope-this is the joy of knowing that I am saved in Christ Jesus and am heaven bound.....it is not a false hope, but a genuine knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Perseverance makes us better equipped to live a Christ-centered life, a life of love, giving, and righteousness. A tried character makes us be more like Jesus, who suffered the ultimate sacrifice. And, hope keeps us moving upward when all the world seems to be sinking.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason we should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations is because it will build character. It will bring us closer to God and we will rely on God more.

The importance to our lives of perseverance is that we will continue to do something that doesn

• 3 weeks later...

2a) God uses sufferings to develop his character in us, specifically we gain perseverance, tried character and hope of the glory of God by our sufferings. :)B)Perseverance is the capacity to hold out or bear up in the face of difficulty,long suffering endurance endurance, fortitude, the long view that undergirds our hope. In spite of our troubles, God produces in us the fruit of the Spirit of patience or long-suffereing. Tried character[/u] refers to going through a test.As we walk in the Sprit through trying times, God works in that tried character trait. Hope , this is a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ..into an inheritance that can never perish,spoil or fade.. kept in heaven for you.1 Peter 1:3-4 ,to be in the presence of God in all his glory in heaven. :D Our hope enables us to know why we are who we are and we know where are going. This firm hope doesn

God wants us to be like His Son Jesus.One of the things to achieve that is difficulties.We then rely on God and depend on Him He is then able to make changes in our life and spirit.

• 1 month later...

Because sufferings and tribulations works in us perseverance, builds character and gives us a hope.

Perseverance: Builds patience, we should never give up as Jesus is there to help us.

Character: Builds character to be more like Jesus

Hope: Makes us not ashamed as we hope for coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because they allow us to be strong and persevere, which in-turn gives us character and with character we have hope because of God's eternal love and power. If we truly believe and trust in God, He will bring us through all trials and tribulations. We must stand firm in our faith and rest in Him and we will be victorious.

• 2 weeks later...

We should rejoice in our sufferings because, as Pastor Ralph said, our sufferings are like a school for us in which we learn things that will help us in our walk with God and the purpose he has identified in our lives. The things we learn through sufferings and tribulations are perseverance, character, and hope. When I'm asked to think about why perseverance is important to our Christ-filled life, I think about going to the gym. I hate to go to the gym, and that's why my membership is an almost wasted expense each month. However, over the summer, when I had more time, I tried to go to a class with a friend of mine. The first time I went to the class, I felt like I couldn't even get done with the very first workout. I really wanted to give up and not go back the second time, but when I did go back the second time, I found it was easier, and easier, and easier as I continued to take the class. I think this is what perseverance gives us, the ability to keep going as things get harder and harder. If we don't go through something hard, we definitely can't make it through something three times harder down the road. We have to develop perseverance to be successful.

Character seems to be that element that we develop after going through the suffering that develops perseverance. Perseverance is the thing that keeps us going, character is the element of character or trait that we have when we have perseverance; it's the experience that makes us wiser, confident, and knowledgeable enough to work with new Christians or help others who have gone through similar kinds of suffering. It teaches us what traits are positive, and because a lot of suffering is the result of our own negative traits, it helps us realize which things we should abandon.

Hope is what puts it all in perspective. When we have the hope of salvation and the glory of God, we know what we are to do and where our life should be focused. We have the assurance and knowledge of the fact that our lives are designed to be lived the way he wants us to live.

• 2 weeks later...

We should rejoice because God is giving us an opportunity to become more like Him when we develop these traits. Our goal is to be with God forever and we have assurance that we will through our faith in the sacrifice that Jesus did for us on Calvary. But these things, patience, experience and hope helps us to become more like Christ. And the hope that we have, the expectation of being with God forever keeps us going, keeps us persevering, and we can rejoice when we past these tests and trials becuse we know we are pleasing God and that is what God wants from us. Heb. 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.(NIV)

Our sufferings keep us humbled or re-humble us. When we are in crisis we turn to our Creator, and God wants to keep us turned to him at all times. It is through these times that we begin to live by the Word and re evaluate living through worldly ways. We also grow in character through our suffering, learning to appreciate circumstances for what they are, as well as for the people involved. We learn by each other and through each other.