JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Christ Died for the Ungodly

Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)? According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst? How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

It is important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly and the sinners" as otherwise Christ's death on the cross would be in vain. His death on the cross was to redeem us sinners. His death has brought us back to God. We were separated from God because of the original sin( Adam's fall). As a result we can now have eternal life.

Christ died for us at our worst and this means that no one can be too sinful to be saved. No sin can be so bad that we cannot come to him with repentance. Jesus is willing and will only be too happy to forgive our sins because he loves us. It is satan who tries to confuse us by telling that we are too sinful and that God will not forgive us. God is waiting with open arms to forgive and love us in spite of our sins. Let not the devil deceive us.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By embrasing that Christ died for the unGodly and the sinners, we embrase the love God has for us and how important we are to God. We also embrase God's righteous power. This is a gift that God gave to us and not ever understanding or embrasing this, how can you ever have eternal life? We were born into a world of sin so we were born in our worst but because Jesus died for us, we can be reborn and be in our best. We will never be too bad for God's forgivenness because he loves us. That was proven when he sent his son to die for us.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)? According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst? How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

I believe it is important to embrace this truth because it shows us that we were not as good as we may have thought. We were all ungodly, all enemies of God when Christ died for us. Our very nature was set against Him when He died.

Christ died for us when we were at our very worse. We were vile and dirty, yet He died for us. All of our good works (righteousness) was like a soiled piece of cloth yet He died for us.

This confirms that satan is a liar. Christ died for us all; the thief, liar, murderer. There is no one to bad to forgive or no one too good who doesn't need it. It does not matter what you have done Christ died so that you may be forgiven. All we need to do is accept that forgiveness and ignore the devil's lies.

When we, as people, received atonement, we received hope, not only by the justification of faith from Christ, but the presence of the holy ghost.

Christ died for us at the worst of our sin, and the best for our salvation.

Because when Jesus died we, as people, were given absolute certainty, and we can now come directly into the presence of God. Jesus is now not only the redeemer, but the advocate to sin as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Christ died for us when we were at our very worst. We must embrace this truth, otherwise we can never move past our sin towards repentance and forgiveness. Also we must embrace how long and how wide ( infinite )God's love is for us, that He sacrificed His only Son. We learn to love. We love because He first loved us.

We must recognize that ALL are sinner and all fall short of the glory of God. yet, despite our sin we are loved by God and forgiven. Part of becoming a Christian is this admission, we must humble ourselves before our Lord and Savior. We must admit to God and OURSELVES, we are retched sinners saved only by the grace of God. ALL have sinned, God saved us by sending his son to die a horrible death when we were at our very worst..how AMAZING! Bittersweet, that our Lord should suffer in such a horrible way for our sins, in doing so, we have been reconciled with God through the blood of Jesus. When we ask the Lord earnestly for forgiveness, this sin of ours is thrown to the bottom of the ocean floor, it is not forgotten but it IS Stamped "FORGIVEN" . Through Jesus' horrendous death our sins have been washed away.The devil has no power to forgive, he has no power at all.

*** Let every soul be subject unto higher powers. For there is NO power but of God: the powers THAT BE are ordained of God. (- 1769 Oxford King James Bible "Authorized Version")

The devil has NO POWER! God's power is sovereign and all encompassing.

• 1 month later...

The act of dying in the place of someone is surely the ultimate act of love. Such a one cannot hold anything from me if he gave his most valuable possession-his life. This is assuring in that whatever I ask of him, he will not hold back;He is for me not against me. He loved me to the highest degree even before I knew and acknowledged him. How much more now that I'm his follower and acknowledge him everyday?

With this revelation,the devil argument that am too bad to forgive, has no weight at all.

• 5 months later...

This truth helps us to deny the devil's suggestion that we had to be a whole lot better than we were at conversion, and that we aren't really saved now as our standing before God then was abysmal. We are shown that Christ died for the ungodly, yes you and me, who had been up to all sorts of tricks. There is no sinner on earth, for which the Blood of Jesus cannot avail and claim as God's own. So if the devil tries to persuade us differently, he is exposed as a liar.

• 4 weeks later...

We have to cling to God so closely. Satan is out to destroy, he is the father of lies and he is powerful. Praise Jesus, God is allpowerful. I like psalm 91 and the analogy about Gods wings. We are like scurrying chicks where we have to be in the darkness because outside the lights of the world will blind us to the beauty of Christ and the path that leads to righteousness. Christ died when we were at our worst. Such undeserved grace. If we belong to Him, He will love us more

• 2 months later...

The bible says anyone that calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. It does not matter to the Lord what yours sins are, but it does matter to him whether or not you want to be saved. From the utmost Jesus saves is what the song says. The word says God did not come to condemn us but to call all men unto repentance. Does this mean I can continue in sin because I know God will save me even in the midst of my sins, No, I must confess my sins and then God is just and faithful to forgive and cleanse me from all unrighteousness. The word also says come to me all you who are burdened and heavy laden and I will give you rest. The word lets us know that we can cast away all those lies Satan fills our heads about being too sinful to come to Jesus. Even though your sins be red as scarlet, Jesus is able to make them white as snow.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly"? Because without embracing this truth we will forever be putting forth our human effort to appease God's wrath whether it be great effort or even a little in the back of our mind. I picture embracing in this context as holding on for dear life as in when you are drowning and someone throws you a life preserver. Accepting our own ungodliness and utter total depravity is essential to accepting total forgiveness.

• 2 months later...

It’s important to embrace the truth; it proves Gods love for us and his grace.  Christ died at the perfect time, the time that God had set. In our opinion it was definitely our worst time. This is Gods proof to us that no matter how or where we are in our sins we have already been forgiven.

• 2 weeks later...

It is imperative that we realize that Christ died for the ungodly, which is me.  If you are holding on to any hope of being good enough to go to heaven then you can not be saved.  We must come to realize that we are completely ungodly, completely unable to save ourselves, and that He is completely able. 

We must realize that in being ungodly, we have no means to save ourselves.  He does it all.  He gives all who are saved the faith to be saved.  The only thing we bring to salvation is the ability to chose.  Even though we are ungodly, God has given to us the ability to chose or reject His Son. 

Jesus said we must come to Him as a little child.  A child has nothing of value to give, except their love, trust and obedience.  As the ungodly, we have nothing of value to give in exchange for salvation.  He gave it all in sacrifice, and He gives it all in the ages to come.  It is all of Christ.  He has the preeminence. 

Ephesians 2:7  That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus

• 4 weeks later...

God so loved us that He took the initiative to reconcile us to Himself. We can take no credit. We are at His mercy. God gets all the praise and adoration for loving us. We have assurance against the lies of satan in that no one was or will be good enough, there is nothing we can do to earn salvation. Christ alone has chosen to redeem us.

• 10 months later...

It is most important that non-believers come to realize that before the throne of God they are sinners, spiritually dead and enemies of God. Realizing that they are sinners they should come to the Lord and understand that God the Father had sent His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ to die for us, to be a sacrifice for our salvation, that he had died for us while we where yet in sin to reconcile us back to God.

Christ had died for us even when we were sinners at our worst in life. He was willing to give up His life for us so we could come to know the true and loving creator, God the Father.

by understanding and coming into our relationship with God through the perfect sacrifice of Christ, we learn about the true God and His Word. We learn that Satan has deceived the whole world by his lies and deciptions. We learn that we were not too bad as sinners, that Christ excepted us as we were. We are now assured that the lord has loved us from the beginning of time and we are justified and made righteous by faith in Him.         

• 6 months later...

Because it shows the unconditional love that God has for us and even more so continue to have for us after we accept Him the Lord of our life.  Because it’s part of accepting Him as our Lord; we need to accept the fact that we have just been given a second chance and God’s sacrifice of His only Son deserves every bit of our life.

Christ died for us at our worse.  It gives us assurance of the fact that the Cross happened and the Holy Spirit that we have been given to give us the confidence and faith in God and the knowledge we gain to use against the Devil’s lies. 

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that  "Christ died for the ungodly"(5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)? According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst? How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

"Christ died for the ungodly" is vitally important to us for Christ died because of our sin and for we sinners. We all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.(Romans 3.23) we must emphasize this point for one often  hears "I am not good enough for (church,God, etc.) or only saints go to church!. These do not understand that christianity is for those who have sinned and continued. That is the promise that we get but it is just too good to be true to  believe. As Jesus died for us we are in effect covered with His robe of righteousness and it appears as if we have never sinned at all. Even John Newton, a slaver, was saved!1

• 4 months later...

If He hadn't died for the ungodly, then I would have no hope of salvation. None of us could ever attain to being good enough. GOD is perfect and holy and we can never measure up no matter how much we try. I love that He died for me at my worst. It gives me assurance that I can't get any worse than that and loose my salvation. No matter how many times I fall and fail, I know GOD will and already has forgiven me. It's any amazing truth that I constantly have to cling to and not listen to the biggest liar.

Q3 We have to believe Christ died while we were still sinners otherwise we think that our salvation and God's love is something to be earned We must rely fully upon His grace for salvation and cleansing.

Christ died while we were at our very worst and completely separated from him by sin. However Satan's lies will be "You're never going to be good enough " and in that regard he is correct. But the good news is that we know this yet we are not defeated by it. We must remain faithful and strong in Christ and choose to believe Him rather than Satab

Q3 We have to believe Christ died while we were still sinners otherwise we think that our salvation and God's love is something to be earned We must rely fully upon His grace for salvation and cleansing.

Christ died while we were at our very worst and completely separated from him by sin. However Satan's lies will be "You're never going to be good enough " and in that regard he is correct. But the good news is that we know this yet we are not defeated by it. We must remain faithful and strong in Christ and choose to believe Him rather than Satab

• 4 months later...

Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), ... It is an affirmation to the fact that we are saved, not because of what we have done, but because of what Christ has done for each and everyone of us.  If we can grasp the truth that He died for us while we were considered to be 'ungodly' then we can know that He truly lives for us once we become 'godly'. 

that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)? It is affirmation that we are no longer considered to be 'sinners' once we are saved.  Now that He lives, we now live as the 'righteous'. 

According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst?  At our worst.  Without salvation, forgiveness, righteousness, godliness, etc.  we are at our very worst.  Does not matter how we feel about ourselves, whether good or bad, it is about what He says about us that becomes the truth.  Without Him, we are helpless (to save ourselves and make ourselves right) and hopeless human beings.

How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?      We can rest assure that what God says about us is truth and what the devils tries to tell us about ourselves does not matter.      God says we have been made righteous with Him if we have chosen salvation through Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 1:30)

If we did not embrace the truth that Jesus died for the ungodly, His death would have no meaning and Satan would reign supreme.

The fact that He died for the ungodly and forgave us of all our sins (though we don't deserve it) provides us with the " hope" that we all be given the opportunity to "walk alongside Him" on His return. 

If I did not accept this truth I would have listened to the lies of Satan when I had sinned (which is often) and would not have enjoyed the peace that only Gods forgiveness can give.

Satan's love is directed to himself (egotistic love), whereas God's love is (universal) and is showered on every one of us, good or bad.

• 2 months later...

A. Rom. 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

In case that I think of myself as being just "too sinful" that God will not except me, Paul addresses that "fear" in (Rom. 5:6, 8).

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (5:8).

"The bloody, scarred cross is proof of God's love for you/me" (Lesson).

B. Christ died for us while we were at our worst.

Isa. 53:6 "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."

"He didn't die for us because we were either righteous or even relatively good.  Rather we are 'sinners' pure and simple - sinners who are lost.  We had missed the mark - even the best of us" (Lesson).

C. "There is no sin you/me can commit that the Son of God did not atone for on the cross" (Lesson).

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

• 1 year later...

We were all powerless, helpless and morally weak as sinners at our worst but Christ yet gave His life for our salvation (for the ungodly).  There is nothing good and righteous about us that would endear us to God but He took the initiative to save us and bring us back to Him (restore the original relationship that was lost when Adam sinned).  God's love is more than adequate and nothing we can do can prevent Him from reaching out to us in love to redeem us.  The cross is proof of His love as by the process of time the plan of salvation unfolded.  We were unable to save ourselves or do things to make us acceptable to God.  Forgiveness is offered by God for all who come to Him.  It was at the karios time that He sent Jesus to procure our salvation.  It was His sacrifice that made us righteous and offered us new life to live in God's presence.  He loved us first.  We, in term, should love Him most.

• 6 months later...

Q3. (Romans 5:6, ? Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)? According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst? How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=794

It is important we embrace that truth because it is such a popular misconception that it was the other way around. If that were the case, none of us would have a chance of entering God’s Kingdom because as Jesus put it  "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick ". Mat 9:12, Mark 2:17, and Luke 5:31. In other words, or as put in other words by Jesus, he came to save the sinners. Nobody, but nobody, on their own apart from Christ is good enough to enter the Kingdom of God. It was people like you and me that He came to redeem.

Romans 5:8 tells me that Christ died for us at our worst. This is at a time when we had no salvation what-so-ever and very few were even giving thought to seeking it, in fact rebellion best explains our state at that time.

This gives us a real assurance because if Jesus died for us while we were still sinners and all we had to do was accept that that fact and let everything fall in place the way Christ brings about change in us on an individual basis, and that means no matter what we may have done. Even a person sentenced to death and might well end up executed as a result is never too bad to receive Jesus’s forgiveness.

• 1 month later...