JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Offering Our Members to God

Q2. (Romans 6:13) In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day? Why is it that we can sin unconsciously? How can we begin to offer our members deliberately to God? What changes will it take in our daily life to do this?

We all in the past have seen what offering our ' bodies' to the world brought into our lives, no happiness or contenment will ever be found in the world.

But when we give to our Lord all that we have, each talent, each gift all that we have. He never fails to use what we bring, He never fails to let us see His wonderful graceful hand at work.

Nothing in my hand I bring simply to thy cross I cling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Romans 6:13) In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day? Why is it that we can sin unconsciously? How can we begin to offer our members deliberately to God? What changes will it take in our daily life to do this?

The members of my body are my hands, feet, mind, thoughts, emotions etc. I can sin in my thoughts, my emotions - how I react to people, my words etc.

If I take time to pray before I speak or respond, I can offer myself to God. If I do it 'off my own bat' I will sin.

Because I am being changed to God's glory, my old sin self still appears and I can slip into old sin patterns.

I NEED TO CONSCIOUSLY PRACTICE LIVING IN GOD'S PRESENCE SO THAT I DO HIS WILL AUTOMATICALLY EVEN IN TIMES WHEN I CANNOT PRAY FIRST.

• 2 months later...

This is such an empowering passage of scripture. Not only are we no longer slaves to sin, but we can make decisions about how to present ourselves to God. These decisions can involve where we go, what we watch, who we spend time with, even what we heap on our plates. Sometimes sin does just seem to "happen," but mostly it is well within our control to take ourselves out of harmful situations. If computer **** is a problem, get rid of the computer. Or make sure your spouse is the only one who has the password. If materialism is the problem, don't go to the mall in the first place. Stay away from people who encourage you to gossip. Surround yourself with what is good, pure, and lovely.

• 1 month later...

This verse focuses on the individual parts of the body such as the hands or mouth. Believers are not to present the parts of their bodies as a means of sinning. Do not use your hands to steal or your tongue to lie. B elievers should present themselves to God and the parts of their bodies as instruments of righteousness.

• 1 month later...

I just began seeing a few years ago how God has given me gifts that I use in my job, and I use them all day long. This has helped me to be more patient and tolerant and to see the value in what I do. Of course, other times, I follow my vices and give in to sin. Daily time with God's work has helped me to be more deliberate in using my "members" to work for God.

Throughout every single day, we are continually taking decisions, some conscious, some less conscious about what we do, what we say, what we think, how we act etc. Decisions on any of these can at any point lead to us committing a sin or acting righteously. However, I think that what Paul is driving at in verses 13 and 14 is more a state of existence, a state of being rather than individual decisions and events, although within that overall state of being, these individual decisions are important and will reflect our underlying state. We have been buried with Christ, and have risen again to a new life in Him, with Christ as our head. As such, our entire being, our entire existence, which necessarily involves our whole bodies and minds, should be centred on Christ. He must be in everything we do from the minute we wake up to the minute we go to sleep and in that way, I believe that we are offering the members of our body to Christ and not to sin. The individual actions and events will, undoubtedly with lapses fall into line behind this commitment.

There is a book called "The Practice of the Presence of God" written by Brother Lawrence in 17th century France. Through his life, Brother Lawrence developed a close relationship with God such that God was always a part of what he was doing, and he conversed with God not just at specific prayer times or in church, but constantly in every situation he found himself in. Having God beside you constantly puts a lot of pressure on you (even Brother Lawrence confessed that it was not easy) but I think it brings us into the state which Paul is suggesting we should be in in these verses; constantly offering ourselves to God.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Dr. Ralph,

One of the way I offer the members of my body to God is to think the thoughts that focus on good and not evil things. Therefore, I choose not to steal, not to curse, not to go places where I shouldn't, such as to bars, or to see things that I shouldn't. It all starts within the heart. If we keep a clean heart and praise God with our inner most being, we are beginning to do what He wants us to do.

• 1 month later...

Daily the temptation to "offer the members off your body" to sin comes by way of yielding to temptation and not submitting to the laws and commands of God. Sometimes unconsciously we yield to sin when we do not practice being led by the Spirit of God. In fact, when we allow ourselves to be led by the Spirit of God we are on the path to deliberately offer our members to God. When we commit our life to prayer and fasting the power of the Spirit enables us to walk in the will of God as we offer our members to God.

• 1 month later...

The way we offer our bodies is based on the decisions we make. Do we give in to temptations or do we not give in. If we give in what do we do? We think things, say things, do things that we know is wrong and against God

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=806

• 4 weeks later...

We can use our facial expression to look evil or to smile.

We can use our tongue to call names or to say something nice.

We can use our hands to hit or to help.

We can use our eyes to watch TV or to read the Bible.

etc.

We can sin unconsciously when the lady of the shop forgets to scan something and we walk away with it. When we notice it at home we have to go back to the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 6:13) In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day?

ANS - Living a life of obedience means yielding every part of our body in whatever we do through the day - either to the Lord, or the enemy.

Why is it that we can sin unconsciously?

ANS - Allowing compromise in our lives to slip in will make us less acute to the spirit of the Lord working in our lives.

How can we begin to offer our members deliberately to God?

ANS - Make conscious decisions each day to serve him, be obedient to Him, and to do His will always.

What changes will it take in our daily life to do this?

ANS - Allowing the Holy Spirit to put His finger on that area of my life that needs to be brought into conformity with His will.

• 2 weeks later...

In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day?

Everyday we choose which path to follow, we can offer ourselves up to God in good attitude and actions, thoughts or such....but also we can make that choice to sin and then it is also our choice. We are no longer prisoners of this so we can yield ourselves to God.

If we let that old self take over we can fall into sin...but we also have thepowwer to live an upright life for Christ.

We can offer up ourselves with deliberate purpose to God by the way we live our daily lives. We can have a good spirit, a kind heart, not be yielding to temper or wrong doings.

I think if we yield ourselves to Christ we will want to live a different lifestyle, we will no longer just think of ourselves, but will be sharing, caring , and giving. We will want to spread the Word, share our love of Jesus.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2a)In the choice of words that I say,things that I do for family,collegues etc, I show whether I am serving Christ or the enemy.b)We sin unconsciously as the temptation to sin is still present when we are saved. c)Our bondage to sin has been broken, as now under grace & have the victory over sin. :) d)We need a renewed mindset by reading the bible and applying it everyday with a whole hearted obedience to Christ

• 2 weeks later...

Hebrews 10:2- For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

The Bible says that once we are purged,or cleansed,or atoned

Answer;We still continue to Sin,because our body and soul is still not saved.We are three part Being( 1Thessalonians 5:23- And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly ; and I pray God your whole spirit and G2532 soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ)and when we accept Jesus Christ as our personal saviour,it is OUR SPIRIT PART that is automatically saved,sealed into righteousness with God.Our Body and Soul,though still not yet saved,can be dominated by our born again Spirit,if we continue to renew our mind and understand who we are in Christ,understanding our true nature with God.

It is our Spirit that was dead,the one that we inherit in the first Adam.WE ARE SPIRITUALLY DEAD,when we are Physically Born in this world,and that is the Reason why Jesus has sid that we need to be born again,to see the Kingdom of God in John 3:3-Jesus answered and said unto him , Verily , verily , I say unto thee , Except a man be born again , he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Spiritually Dead means eternal Separation from God.

It is through our Spirit that we maintained Close relationship with God,because GOD IS SPIRIT(jOHN 4:23-24- 23 But the hour cometh , and now is , when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth : for the Father seeketh such to worship him . 24 God is a Spirit : and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth

So if our Spirit is dead,we cant have a Personal Relationship with God,and this is How Jesus remove the Barrier between Man and God,the three letter word that we inherit from Adam...SIN.

Jesus remove this Barrier,suffering and shedding Blood in the cross,in our behalf to reunite,reconcile us again to the Father...AND THAT IS WHY WE NEED TO BE BORN AGAIN...TO RECEIVE THE FREE GIFT OF SALVATION,TO MAKE OUR SPIRIT,COME ALIVE IN UNION WITH CHIRST JESUS.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I try to take control of my life, I offer myself up to sin. When I let go, I offer myself up to God. We sin unconsciously because we live in a fallen world. I need to sacrifice my desires daily to Christ to offer my members to God. I need to continually relinquish control and pray to allow the Holy Spirit to guide me throughout the day.

• 5 weeks later...

- We offer our bodies daily as instruments of sin or of righteousness by yielding, submitting, or allowing.

- We can sin unconsciously because we are human and want to please our flesh and are not walking in the spirit.

We need to be God conscious and resist the devil and he will flee.

- We can begin to offer our members deliberately to God by choosing to yield, submit and allow our members to be instruments of righteousness.

- We need to change our daily habits by submitting ourselves to God and resisting the devil. We need to spend time in the Word of God, pray, stay in fellowship with Him, fall in love with Jesus over and over again.

• 4 weeks later...

When we offer the members of our body to sin we can use our hands, our words, our heart to commit sins or to obey the wrong thing that our mind is telling us to do using members of our body to do so--steal, putting our hands and heart in places where they should not be, lying, gossiping etc. When we offer our body to God we can use our hands to do good for others physically, give words of praise to God, encouragement etc. from our heart. Sometime just giving a smile makes all the difference to another. We can sin unconsciously easily because we are still human and we are not being alert at all times and we have lapses when we serve sin. We can sin and not know that we have sinned also. We can begin by offering our members to God by rightful living as stated in some examples above. To do this we must submit ourselves to God and His authority, to pray and ask Him to to help us have the discipline to submit to the Holy Spirit when it convicts us to do or not to do something. We must study God's Holy Word to learn more about Him thereby drawing closer to Him and becoming imitators of Jesus.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Romans 6:13) In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day?

Wow! Let me count the ways! As far as I'm concerned it's mainly about heart and mind attitudes. I'm a law abiding person who doesn't drink, smoke, do narcotics, or in any way abuse my body . . . which is the temple of the Holy Spirit after all. I don't speed (much) when I drive and I basically obey the road rules and the law in general. I don't consciously go around hurting anyone and I open doors for people.

I'm a quiet man who keeps to himself. That's how serial killers start out too, isn't it? "Neighbors described the suspect as a quiet man who kept to himself" . . .

So really the only sins I commit are in having the wrong attitude to people and to God. If I harbor hatred or resentment to anyone I'm allowing sin to rule in my mind and heart. Then there is the sin of pride. Am I humble enough? Is anyone?

That's where the battle is won or lost: The heart and mind. Every time I look at a woman in a lustful way I am committing adultery. Every time I call my brother a worthless fool I'm in danger of going to hell. Every time I get angry with someone without good cause I'm murdering them (I'm a mur-diddley-urderer!) Jesus made those rules.

The way to offering ourselves to God lies in continually maintaining a loving attitude to others, friends or foes. That's very difficult to do.

We could be so used to doing something that's wrong that we don't even remember that it's wrong. Then there are the sins of "omission" where we don't do the good we ought to for whatever selfish reason we could put forward. Most sins of omission are the result of personal greed or selfishness.

By daily enthroning Him as the Being in charge of our lives, our hearts and our minds.

If my own example is anything to go by, we'll require a paradigm shift in our belief system, and our unshaken belief in our lives now being bonded with Christ and lived in Him and through Him.

• 2 weeks later...

In all our daily choices, I can chose to do this. For instance if I'm offended I can choose to remain angry and offer my mind to sin or to forgive and offer the same mind instead to God.

I think I sin unconsciously when I begin to live unconsciously. Whenever my connection with God is weak in especially in times of stress, anxiety, or when I get too busy to spend time with God, I find that I fall quite easily to sin.

How can we begin to offer our members deliberately to God? What changes will it take in our daily life to do this?

Spending time with God consistently, putting God first no matter what.

By thinking about my actions and consciously deciding to choose God's way.

Listening for the direction of the Holy Spirit and obeying promptly.

• 3 weeks later...

. (Romans 6:13) In what ways do you

• 2 months later...

I have prayed many times for God to change my heart and change my earthly desires of passion and pride, to extinguish them from my mind and heart. God is so wise in how He walks with me. We must keep our eyes on Him and our minds. Then it is not as difficult, then it becomes possible by giving it to Him. He won all I have, all I am, on the cross

• 1 month later...

We offer our members to sin by partaking in circles such as those of gossips or bashing. whenever we allow our minds to story to negative or unclean thoughts or as to avenging a wrong.

To God we we offer our member when we assist other people, pray, honor God and apply his teachings to our daily lives.

Sinning unconsciously can happen at any time. Perhaps a cashier under-charges and instead of pointing this out our first instinct is to just keep the difference. A situation may result out of anger and an individual is flipped-off because of road-rage; or their boss causes them extra work.

Offer to God by praying diligently and live the way that He expects.

Be aware of our actions at all times, stopping when we begin to falter. Focus and restart...apologize for any wrongs.