JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

:ph34r: Total Depravity is the fallen state of man as a result of Original Sin.

By their nature, people are not inclined to love God completely as God wants them to. They prefer to serve their own interests instead of their neighbours and reject the rule of God. They are bad, through and through. Only God can change this by saving us.

There may be a very little tiny amount of God's goodness still in us, but even when we want to do good kind acts, there is usually an ulterior motive behind it which serves our own purposes, and doesn't come from any goodness in our hearts at all.

Modern man tends to believe that man is basically good because he is only comparing himself with other men. Only God is Good, so when comparison is made with Him, we fall far short.

:(

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Jeremiah 17:9; Matthew 15:18-20; Romans 7:24) What is the doctrine of "total depravity"?

that man is sinful without God.

Put it in your own words. Does it mean that none of God's original goodness shows through? Then what does it mean?

God created man

God's seed is within.

in the stillness we find it

let it take root and grow

Why does modern man tend to believe that man is basically good?

I don't know

The doctrine of total depraverty teaches that every thing about man is bad. It means, that man's intentions, actions and ways are evil. This stems from Jeremiah's pronouncement that man's heart is desperatly wicket. It is also re- echored by Christ as He declared that out of the heart comes all the evil thoughts that lead to the acts such as murder, adultery etc.

Nevertheless, man is made in God's image and is loved by Him.

Modern man teaches that man is good just to make people feel right. While it is true that some aspects of man can still be good, most or all about him are evill outside the Lord. We need to stick to the right teaching found in the Bible about man and turn our selves to God for total cleansing and control.

Q4. (Jeremiah 17:9; Matthew 15:18-20; Romans 7:24) What is the doctrine of "total depravity"? Put it in your own words. Does it mean that none of God's original goodness shows through? Then what does it mean? Why does modern man tend to believe that man is basically good? How does this differ from what the Bible teaches?

The doctrine of "totla depravity " is the doctrine that teaches there is on good in humanity of the human heart.

no part of our thinking or actions is good we are basically evil inside and out.

The only part of God's goodness that shows thru is that we were originally made in god's image and likeness so

yes some good does show thru at times.

We as modern humans wish to think that basically man is good with evil mixed in . but it iis not true our nature

is bascally evil and we underestimate the evil ness of the flesh.

The bible deaches that we are basically sinfull and evil and need redeaming saveing.

The doctrine of " total depravity" is that man is naturally deceitful,wicked, and corrupt; and is in a constant rebellious state against God.

God's original goodness may show through, but that goodness has been corrupted by sin. Altho fallen, man still has a remnant of God's image in him.

The reason modern man believes that he is basically good is because he only considers his own concepts of good and evil rather than God's standards.

This differs from what the Bible teaches because the Bible teaches that man's flesh is totally corrupt and that nothing good lives in the heart of man.

Q4. (Jeremiah 17:9; Matthew 15:18-20; Romans 7:24) What is the doctrine of "total depravity"? Put it in your own words. Does it mean that none of God's original goodness shows through? Then what does it mean? Why does modern man tend to believe that man is basically good? How does this differ from what the Bible teaches?

I struggle with knowing my sinfulness and unworthiness before God. I find it frightening and awesome that despite the ugliness of myself He finds me special, worthy and valuable. Jesus Blood gives me back the identity and relationship that Adam destroyed. God sees me as the original perfect being He created me to be.

I always thought I was an ok sort of person, but recent events have shown me just how devious and 'self-full' I really am.

People need to know that they are ok, decent and really not that bad. Telling them they are sinful, attacks their identity and they need to know their true identity in God.

I find it hard to find the balance between glorying in my sinfulness and telling myself I am not really that bad.

Doctrine of "total depravity" is fallen mankind, when Adam fell we all fell. Yes, some of God's original goodness shows through, but even our good deeds are done for the wrong reasons. We like to think we're basically good because we just can't admit to ourselves how bad off we really are. The bible says we are wretched.

The doctrine of "total depravity" states in essence that man was born into sin and is sinful by nature. Humanity is a flawed race and what goodness he does, he does with a selfish motive.

The goodness that man does display is a trace of the original goodness of man before the fall.

Modern man doesn't want to deal with, or acknowledge sin and is in rebellion against God. The Bible teaches that humanity is sinful and is alienated from God because of that sin. Man needs a savior because he can not save himself. Jesus Christ is that saviour.

• 4 weeks later...

The doctrine of total depravity describes my activities if uninhibited by the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life. I have been through a period where, lacking the wisdom that is higher than the intelligence of mankind, I committed some horrible sins and stood in grave danger of taking them quite a bit further. Praise the Lord He drew me back to Himself just in time. That period He has turned to good because I now can discern where something is going (in the wrong direction) very quickly, and head it off. I still find myself with thoughts that disgust me (on second thoughts) and know that my carnal nature is still fighting for life. I'll be fighting with this during all my life on earth, but praise Jesus, He has provided the means of rising above my carnal nature in major measure. This is because my love for Him prefers to co-operate with the Holy Spirit, and my heart longs for this. He has renewed my thinking patterns, and is still continuously renewing them.

I am made in the image of God, and that shows through even in unregenerate man. There will be kindnesses etc that reflect our origins as created by God.

However it is always tainted by a heart that is geared to looking after itself and no-one else, and doing what it wants to do under any convenient guise. or system of rationalisation. The tainted heart is always subverting the wonderful creation of God to a lower order of existence, one that falls far short of God's intention, to one lived only on the level of the intelligent animal.

Modern man sees some good in himself - the part that reflects God's image. There is not one man who wishes to think poorly of himself, and so, like Adam, he prefers to operate on that information, and not on the fact that he doesn't come up to scratch, and is performing way below the standard of what God had prepared for him. That scenario is all too much to bear, and besides, it makes demands on him that will not seem rational, and that he will find it difficult to manage - demands for heroic behaviour on a constant, unrelenting basis. He likes to "think positively" about himself and his role in society. He prefers so-called "freedom" to operate in the lazy manners suggested by satan, not realising that those very things remove his freedom, and empower the development of evil within him.

The Bible teaches that "Out of the mouth come the issues of the heart", that what we say is the real indication of what we are. As it is extremely difficult for man to bridle his tongue, his heart will actually, eventually, show on the outside. If he can bridle his tongue then he's as good as made it in the control of all his body. It's the best indicator of the work of the Holy Spirit within the renewed man. God can renew a right spirit within a man who loves Him. It's the new love and mutual trust relationship that has to be developed.

• 2 weeks later...

Total depravity is our natural ability to be bad. We, as humans, want to believe that we have good in us. But The Word says that there is none righteous, no not one. We are all sinners. After we are saved, we are sinners, saved by grace.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Jeremiah 17:9; Matthew 15:18-20; Romans 7:24) What is the doctrine of "total depravity"? Put it in your own words. Does it mean that none of God's original goodness shows through? Then what does it mean?

Total depravity is evil. Every person has the potential to be good, but he is born a sinner. It has nothing to do with God

• 2 weeks later...

I think total depravity is when man becomes godless. He goes so far into sin that He is not in the character of godliness any more. Man was basically good in the begining and then came the fall. Now we are mortal and want to follow the **** of the flesh.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the doctrine of "total depravity"?

We are vile sinners and can do nothing righteous. Isaiah 64:6

Put it in your own words. Does it mean that none of God's original goodness shows through?

We know what is right but we are powerless to do what is right on our own.

Then what does it mean?

We are sinners bound for hell if we do not except Christ as our savior.

Why does modern man tend to believe that man is basically good?

The modern seeker friendly gosipel, God is all loving and he would not send anyone to hell. This appeals to modern man because he can live as he likes and still go to heaven to meet a teddy bread type God that is all loving. Everyone wants to go to heaven they just don't want to meet a Hloy and righteous God when they get there.

Just read the greatest sermon in moder time by Johnathan Edwards "Sinners in the hand of a angry God"

• 2 weeks later...

To me, 'total depravity' means denying selfish wants of our own and putting others (and their needs) before ourselves. Many times, we have good intentions to give, or help, others. When we have the money, we can always think of things 'we really need' first. When we plan to help another, even just fellowship, something will come up that seems to take precedence over our previous engagement. These things are examples of giving into the 'flesh.' Total depravity will never surrender the spirit of giving, helping or fellowship. Total depravity is seeking the will of God and submitting to it according to His teachings. This part of ourselves is the Spirit He freely gives to all of us. It is our choice whether we will follow the spirit, or follow our sinful nature. I believe that so many people of today mistake His spirit for their own because they do not want to admit that they need a savior. People are inherently evil and this thought leads to the conclusion that we need to submit our will to the Creator. People resist because they do not want to give up their sin; they want to be their own god.

• 1 month later...

Trying to get back on track again;catching up on my lessons and hope to finish.

To this question of "total depravity",means to be corupt and very hard to take on good qualities,because of sin.Any goodness that shows through our sunfulness is by the grace of God.Modern man does tend to believe most people are basically good,but being good and obeying the law or doing good things is not going to save Gods people.Gods people must repent of their sins ,believing Jesus Christ.Christians need to ask forgiveness,every day of our life.We can do nothing by ourselves or for others,not enless we walk with Jesus everyday and let Him lead us.

• 4 weeks later...

Jer 17:9 The heart is a twisted thing, not to be searched out by man: who is able to have knowledge of it?

Mat 15:18 But the things which come out of the mouth come from the heart; and they make a man unclean.

Mat 15:19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, the taking of life, broken faith between the married, unclean desires of the flesh, taking of property, false witness, bitter words:

Mat 15:20 These are the things which make a man unclean; but to take food with unwashed hands does not make a man unclean.

Rom 7:24 How unhappy am I! who will make me free from the body of this death?

The doctrine of "total depravity" is that man is basically sinful with nothing good in him. We still have the goodness that God gave us but our flesh sinful nature fights with this and on our own will win. Man hates to admit that is whole self is sinful, wrong. We want to think that we are basically good and kind...but the bible teaches us the exact opposite and that all that we desire is wicked...

the total depravity is that man has no good in him.

some times god can show.

man believe he is good becasue humans did not like being call bad.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Jeremiah 17:9; Matthew 15:18-20; Romans 7:24) What is the doctrine of "total depravity"? Put it in your own words.

Man is flawed.

Does it mean that none of God's original goodness shows through?

No, there is good in man which is the remnant of God in which he was formed.

Then what does it mean? Why does modern man tend to believe that man is basically good?

Many self-help books and modern American individuality point to the "self" as the source of the solution. Man is basically good here, he just needs to find that inner self and goodness by himself.

How does this differ from what the Bible teaches?

Those who believe that obedience to the Law can save them from eternal punishment underestimate the inherent rebellious nature of man against God or underestimate the "flesh". The Law cannot save you.

In every aspect man is flawed. Even the good that a person may intend may come from mixed motives, etc. This is the doctrine of "total depravity".

Man in his present fallen state is not basically good, the Scripture teaches. He is deceitful and conniving. Yes, there is good in him -- the remnant of God's image in which he was formed. But the good is corrupted. No part of man is any longer perfectly good. All is a mixture of good and evil. And certainly man's "flesh" is corrupt: "I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature (flesh, sarx)" (7:18).

Modern man wants to be in control and feel that he is basically good. He often doesn't want to depend of Jesus for salvation. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

What comes forth from ones mouth is from the heart, it is deceitful, impure, distasteful if one is depraved. If one is depraved then one has rejected God. In Romans 1 vs 28 " And even as they did not like to retain God in thier knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting,"and so I beleive NO His goodness does not show through. It means that one has chosen to walk their own way with out God and with out Him you get none of His blessings, instead you will feel His wrath. I think that mankind has their own scale on good and bad. If one helps the weak or poor or gives to the church trie to live by the commandments then mankind is basically good, but we miss the most important part, JESUS! The bible tells us over and over that we are from a sinful nature and we all fall short of Christ. If we reject Christ then we reject God, 1st John 2 vs 23 says,"No one who denies the Son has the Father, who ever acknowledges the Son has the Father." When walking with Christ then what comes from the heart is good, kind words and love His goodness shines thru. :rolleyes:

Total depravity, is something sinful man understands. Full of sin,murder and strife. So very distant from God, gathering with like minded people who support the depravity and its habits.

One can look through history and the events of modern day and clearly see not only depravity at work but also its evil results.

How deep is its pit, how horrible are its demands, man in his sinful state has so removed himself from God and sunk into a deep pit. Corrie Ten Boom stated ' that no matter how deep the pit, Jesus Christ our Saviour is deeper still'.

I find it so fantastic that our loving God did not give up on us, He did not leave us in the pit, rather, through His love and grace, provided for us our means of escape. Calvary, oh! the mighty gulf that God did span.

Thank you Lord for saving me.

• 1 month later...

The Doctrine of total depravity means that in and of myself there is no good thing. I am capable of some good, even without knowing Jesus. However God looks at the heart and sees that the motives are not pure, righteous or holy.

Pride tells me I am an ok person. I don't need a Saviour, I can do it on my own. The Bible teaches that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and The Life. Without Him, I can do no good thing. Jesus living in me is my righteousness, my Holiness, my wisdom and my salvation. Unless He is living in me, I do not have any of that.

• 1 month later...

Our wretchedness stems from the fact that we have fallen so short of God's expectations for human kind. We have learned to pat ourselves on the back to the point that we can live a life of complete greed and selfishness then feel awesome about ourselves after putting a dollar in the Salvation Army bucket! We often have no idea to what extent our wretchedness spills over into our smallest deeds. One may ask what this point of view can possibly do to help self-esteem. Actually, a lot. The fact that God would die for us should make us feel extremely loved, important, and valuable. After making the decision to follow Jesus, we should walk with our heads held high, for we have been adopted into God's kingdom! We are no longer slaves to this wretchedness.

• 2 months later...

It means that we're all sinners.

Ofcourse, Gods goodness can show through.

But only if it is compatible with our own wishes.

Modern man thinks that something is good if it feels right (for himself) - not because somebody else says so.

We are guided by the flesh and not by the Spirit.

We want to feel good right now and don't care that much for a heavenly reward wich we can't see.

Even though, the Bible tells us we're sinners.

This means that we are even though if we ourselves think that we're not.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Jeremiah 17:9; Matthew 15:18-20; Romans 7:24) What is the doctrine of "total depravity"? Put it in your own words. Does it mean that none of God's original goodness shows through? Then what does it mean? It means that man is now by nature and by habit corrupted and that although there remains a vestige of goodness of itself that is not sufficient for the corruption to be overcome. The corruption can only be overcome through Christ working in us. Its a bit like a rotten fruit. There might be a few good bits left in it, but you wouldn't want to take a bite out of it and barring a miracle, the fruit is going to rot.

Why does modern man tend to believe that man is basically good? How does this differ from what the Bible teaches? I am not sure that this is confined to modern man, but you do hear it a lot now. "I'm good, I've never done anyone any harm or done anything really bad. I'm OK, I don't need God to help me." In my experience, this is very common, but is very deluded. Man naturally likes to think of himself as being self reliant and to be told that we simply cannot save ourselves is not what we want to hear. The Bible teaches us that we are corrupt and that the only way to stem that tide of corruption which ultimately, like the rotting fruit will lead to death, is through Christ.