JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. The Identity of the 'I' in Romans 7

Romans 7.

'Is Paul referring to himself or others? What is your opinion? (We won't all agree here, but we'll learn what the issues are by taking and arguing for a position - - lovingly).

:wub: I think that Paul is referring to all Christians, himself included. We are not spiritual all the time, - even our Pastors have 'off days' when they feel they cannot do right for doing wrong, and they too have to repent and be washed clean again.

God does take us from glory to glory, giving us the victory over flaws in our characters, but it is only God In Us That Is Good, and only with the Grace of God can we do the Good Things we want to do instead of the sinful things we don't want to do.

At times I have had to repeat Paul's words when my intentions have been good, but the results have not been good.

B):wub:

Love Greta

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Romans 7:14-25) Christians disagree about who is the "I" in Romans 7. Is Paul referring to himself or others? What is your opinion? (We won't all agree here, but we'll learn what the issues are by taking and arguing for a position -- lovingly).

as Christians we do our best to live in Christ, but our best is not always good enough.

I suspect that Paul is referring to himself at times of weakness. I believe that Paul was unmarried and may have had difficulty controlling sexual energy at times, but I am simply making an educated guess.

Q5. (Romans 7:14-25) Christians disagree about who is the "I" in Romans 7. Is Paul referring to himself or others? What is your opinion? (We won't all agree here, but we'll learn what the issues are by taking and arguing for a position -- lovingly).

I believe he is referring to himself knowing that we will all have the same struggles and benefit from his words.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

I would say that the I is adam or all souls of men. Paul at this time was a mature believer and is aware of the

fact that only thru giving self over to the Holy Spirits controll can we live a good christian life and do what is

good and godly. If it were only for the Jews I feel he would have made that more plain. It is teaching so it does

not seem to be an auto biography of his early days of conversion.

I always thought Paul was talking about himself after his conversion. Recent events have led me to become sharply aware of my flesh self - 2 years old, kicking and screaming for it's own way, and my spirit self, mature and ready to sell out for God.

In this battle these words have become living words of flame for me. For as long as I draw breath on this earth I will always battle the way Paul is battling. Sometimes I will be victorious, sometimes I won't, but this much I know, I will stick in there and battle until I go home to Jesus. He won the war, i am just finishing off a few already won battles.

Yes we can walk in victory, but we are inherently sinful and as Paul said it will never be easy to do what is right because it is against human nature.

Every battle fought won or lost for Jesus produces more fruit and Christlikeness in our lives and marks us as His own.

I think Paul is referring to himself. He is acknowledging the condition of all of humanity and the war that rages, even in the born again Christian, between the old nature and new man. I'm a born again Christian and I love and follow Jesus Christ, yet I still struggle with some elements of the world. Their are things I want to do in certain situations and don't for Christ and don't want to do, but do anyway.

Paul was a great follower of Christ, but he wasn't Christ. He was an honest man who tells the truth about the struggle we all are engaged.

The bottom line in Romans 7 is the truth Paul states in verses 24 and 25: "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God - through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

• 2 weeks later...
It would appear that the "I" that Paul is referring to is himself. Whether it is or not, this "I" can definitely relate. Since I can relate and place myself as the "I", I thank God for something else that Paul said. "I die daily!" So I go back to Romans 6:11. I have to reckon or account myself as dead to sin but alive to God. I thank God for the death process. The more of me that dies. the more clear and precise His reflection in me is seen. The more of me that lives, the more His relfection in me to the world is distorted. Hence, "deadmanwalking".

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that the "I" refers to all of us. Look, I know that Iam saved by grace through faith, and that The Spirit dwells in me. At the same time, I know that I am in a constant battle with my human side. My human side wants to be comfortable. It wants to look good. It wants to be pampered and well thought of. "I" wants to rule. But my spiritual side wants to do God's will. It wants to obey God. It wants to be in God's presence.

For example, sometimes when I'm praying, I'll become distracted by other things. Or, I'll get drousy. Because I know that satan doesn't want me to pray, I shake it off, and keep talking, or I ask God to help me with this problem. We have to remember that it is not flesh that we are at war with. Ours is a spiritual battle.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that he is talking about himself, but writing it in a way that I could also see the

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether Paul is talking personally or universally but I can relate to what he is saying. The flesh is so weak. It is hard to keep up with all that I need to do for Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

Christians disagree about who is the "I" in Romans 7. Is Paul referring to himself or others? What is your opinion? (We won't all agree here, but we'll learn what the issues are by taking and arguing for a position -- lovingly).

A few facts that I know are:

Paul was a murderer before he came to Christ

Paul ask God to remove the thorn in his flesh. God said no live with it. We don't know what this was in Paul's life that he wanted removed. Just maybe it was something in the mind like ****, that plegged him every hour of his life. If this was true he could be writing about himself.

I know I only grow in Christ in my trials, and this may have been true for Paul also.

It is not about what we struggle with, it is how we grow in Christ that matters.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that Paul is referring to himself and struggles he has personally experienced with sin. Because all the written word is there for our edification, many times we can read a passage and relate to it on a very personal level. I have (more times than I care to remember) read Paul's words on my knees to God because I have felt the exact same way he describes; I couldn't have said it better myself.

• 1 month later...

I would say that Paul is refering to himself,when he says "I". But, "I" look at it this way,that Paul is teaching us,and when he refers to himself ,I can put those shoes on my feet ,because I being a Christian,if I struggle with sin, in my own strength I would be heading the wrong direction.I am sure I would find myself sinning in ways that would not be attractive to my ownself. There is know way I would succeed in life without the teachings of Gods word.The word is Gods truth and the power of His spirit will never lead you in the wrong direction.

• 4 weeks later...

i think it is everyone not just one person

• 2 months later...

The "wretched man" is typical of anyone who is regenerated but not liberated; that is, someone who has been born again but has not found the path to walk in the power of the Spirit. Anyone who loves the law and has been born again or brought to faith by the Spirit, but not indwelt by the Spirit.

Paul is not confessing that he continually practiced sin in his daily life, but that the threat of practicing it was always with him. He always had to be on guard against it to keep it from breaking out. And, at times, it did indeed break out, reminding him not only of its presence, but also its strength. There is no doubt Paul was a mature Christian. Therefore, this serves as a reminder to us that, no matter how spiritually mature we become, human nature will still always be with us. ;)

• 1 month later...

I think the I is himself but also refering to mankind also.

Paul was referining to himself in the initial stages but as he continues the reference point changes to include us.

The closer our walk with the Lord the clearer and more repugnant our sins become to us.

• 1 month later...

I have always assumed Paul is talking about himself. No matter how victorious our walk with God is, how Spirit filled it is, we are still sinners and will sin.

Some very strong christians I know have strongholds that they struggle with and despair of ever being free of sin.

I just see Paul in this passage as being conscious of himself as a sinner yet knowing victory will come through Jesus.

Like so many christians I see myself in this passage, however this is the first time I have been truly able to understand it.

• 1 month later...

I believe he is speaking from the point of view of a non-Christian. The experience he is describing in these verses is nothing short of slavery to sin, which would contradict what he just outlined in chapter 6. Of course, the present tense is what has really made this confusing! But I think he is giving an illustration and using the present tense to bring it to life, as many speakers and writers of today do.

• 2 months later...

I think he is referring to himself, but in general to all humanity. And even after we are followers of Christ, there are times we battle with sin, and don't do what we want to do. I sometimes think of my sins in "degrees"-this one isn't as bad as that one...in the end, if I'm not doing what God wants, I have sinned.

I think Paul is referring to himself both before and after his change, and also to all humankind. We all have times when following God is more difficult, just as we have times when we follow easily and have the peace that comes with that.

I think that Paul is talking here as a work in progress, like all Christians. Throughout our lives, with the help and guidance of the Holy Spirit, we are striving to be more like Christ and less like ourselves, that is less like our old sinful man. We aspire to be more like Christ as we follow the Christian path, but we cannot do this ourselves because of the inherent weakness of our flesh and to that extent are constantly a work in progress. We frequently fail and fall back into the trap of our old sinful selves. Paul was no different, and his frustration at this comes out very clearly in this passage which I can really relate to. I therefore think that he is talking about himself, but is making the point to serve as a lesson for the Romans to whom the letter is addressed and to all of us reading the letter now.

• 4 weeks later...

What a challenging question!! The "I" Paul is writing about is referring to those who have not decided to yield themselves totally to doing God's will. At one time, it was Paul, so therefore, he is quite capable of writing based on experience. All of us can identify with the "I" in verses 14-25 before we decided to let God have our lives completely. What insightful verses!!