JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Being Led by the Spirit

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit? What would it look like to watch a person do this?

It means to be forgiven. To watch this happen to a person would be to see the change in their lives that forgiveness brings about. We would see their happiness and joy.

What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? What does this look like in actual practice?

It means to surrender our lives to God. To live in His Will for us. When we fail and have sin in our lives, we will go to God and ask for forgiveness.

How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together?

When we are led by the Spirit, we leave our sin behind.

How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us?

Without the Spirit, none of this would be possible. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit? What would it look like to watch a person do this? What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? What does this look like in actual practice? How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together? How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us?

to put to death the deeds of the flesh takes the power of the Holy Spirit. He frees us from sin. It would look like He was enjoying going to church and looking forward to a heavenly eternal kingdom and fellowshipping with the Saints here on earth. To be led by the Spirit is to worship, read your word, pray, witness and fellowship with the Saints. We can only do this through the Holy Spirit.

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit? What would it look like to watch a person do this? What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? What does this look like in actual practice? How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together? How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us?

Paul says " Take up your cross daily" The cross is a execution device to kill the flesh. Our days are controlled by the flesh or by the Spirit. For the Spirit to be in control of our lives the flesh must be killed ( put into submission). We do this through prayer and repentance. To do this is a step in living a Christ like life

When I think of putting to death the flesh, I envision catching myself with an angry or defeated thought and reminding myself that it is not of God. Jesus sent us the Spirit so we could have the strength to overcome our flesh. Walking in the Spirit is walking in these fruits; love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self control. When we choose to have the faith that, with the help of the Spirit, we can overcome sin, we will allow love and peace to overcome our anger negative thoughts, lusts, etc.

• 4 months later...

Rededication of my life to Christ at times seems a daily, weekly or monthly act. Accepting Christ was the "taking off" of the old self to end or put to death the deeds of the body by the Spirit. Dr. Wilson expressed it aptly when he said Walking with, following, being led, submitting and obeying all involve the absence of resistence to Christ.

We can strike out for new ground, but only with the Spirit as our guide. We cannot strike out on our own. Allowing leads to trust. :rolleyes:

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14)

• What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit? It means to put to death our sins.
  • What would it look like to watch a person do this? We would see the person practicing spiritual disciplines such as prayer, studying Scripture and striving to draw close to the Lord.
  • What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? To be led by the Spirit means to follow the teaching of Scripture
  • What does this look like in actual practice? In practice, this would be one striving to live a life like Jesus
  • How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together? We put to death our sinful nature as we are led by the Spirit.
  • How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us? The Spirit of God is always available as we are willing to accept and follow His leading.icon4.gif

• 1 month later...

When we have accepted Christ the Holy Spirit comes and resides in us because we ask Him to. The Spirit helps us acknowledge our shame and we become gangrenous. If we could see this I think it would be like watching all the old bones and tissue disappear and one get all new. You would likely have a glow about you,on the other hand you can see someone change their ways, all is dead or dying, this is a wonderful thing to see, Christ at work! In your daily activity, your coming and going, your speech, your actions how you conduct yourself is actual practice. Being led by the Spirit is listening to your heart, your conscience, doing what is pleasing to God, knowing the difference between the Spirit and your own agenda and will. When you surrender to Christ you are putting away all the old ways and the Spirit moves in to lead you. I beive it is 100% of me and nothing less of 100% of the Holy Spirit, because God said we could not out give Him. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit?

It is easy for a redeemed sinner to recall the place from which he/she has been plucked, the life that we had in the world has been left there, the old man and his habits have been put to death and now I am under new eternal ownership.

What would it look ike to watch a person do this.

I can relate this change in my life and I am aware of the extreme change that salvation has made to me, I no longer thrist after the things of this world but to all things concerning my Saviour and Lord Jesus.

Its also of benefit to us when others see the change wrought in us through the Holy Spirit

Reading. praying having daily fellowship with my Father, concern for lost souls and spreading the Gospel.

Redeemed. how I love to proclaim it

Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb

Redeemed through His infinite mercy

His child and forever I am

Redeemed, redeemed

Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb

Redeemed redeemed

His child and forever I am

• 1 month later...

Rom 8:13 For if you live according to your human nature, you are going to die; but if by the Spirit you put to death your sinful actions, you will live.

Rom 8:14 Those who are led by God's Spirit are God's children.

To put to death the deeds of the body is to get rid of the "old" sinful nature and take upon the new Christ-like nature that the Holy Spirit gives to us. Physically you would not see a change in the person but spiritually you would see the new person emerging. The fruits of the Spirit would be seen in this persons life. We need to be led by the Spirit. To have Him guide us in every aspect of our lives...we can only follow one master and it should be the Holy Spirit we are following....in some ways this is a 50/50 experience...we can only do it by the the power of the Holy Spirit but we do have to listen and follow...make a choice which is something that God leaves up to us.

to "put to death" the deeds of the body is to stop being sinful but more god like

i think it would look like a man or woman reading the bible more and praying more to.

what it means to be "led" by the spirit is that the holy spirit is in your lfe.

it would look like a godly man or woman

you can not have sin and be close to god.

i think it is 50/50

1. It means to put terrible deeds to sin, but everybody need to read their bibles to make good deeds to God.

2. It would be horrified or terrible to a person to do these evil things.

3. Led means to show you, for example God told us to show or lead us to Christ.

4. I thought that it could like Godly person.

5.If you combined "putting to death" and "led" by the spirit, It means to show the way to get ride of sin.

6.I think of the spirits are kind of 50/50.

Rom 8:13 For if you live according to your human nature, you are going to die; but if by the Spirit you put to death your sinful actions, you will live.

Rom 8:14 Those who are led by God's Spirit are God's children.

To mortify or put to death means to kill all of the bad sins an to act like a christian..

It would be cool to see that cause they would be acting like a christian and be praying a lot and doing the bible.

To be led by the spirit means to let god lead your life.

Him speaking to us through prayer

to be close to god you have to kill our sins

About 90% is us and 10% is god cause we let him do things and we do it

• 2 months later...

As many people have said, putting to death the deeds of the body and walking in the Spirit require action on both our part and the Spirit's part. It's hard to really divide the two, since the Spirit resides within us. There is an ebb and flow, not a distinct, "Ok, Spirit, I'll take this one," and, "Spirit, could you do this for me?" The one who wants to give up a sin such as anger, however, needs to rely on the Spirit's help. Through the Spirit's wisdom, he or she will make practical choices to help put the deeds of the flesh to death and walk in the Spirit. For example, I can get really irritable with my kids when we are in a hurry. So I can make sure I make good choices to prevent situations where hurry and resulting anger can occur.

• 1 month later...

I see this when I see a coworker dealing with a particularly difficult client and being polite and helpful nonetheless. I would like to see it more when I get impatient with the kids, and poetmom mentions a strategy that I try to employ-don't set myself up for failure! When we "consult" with God for our daily activities, we will more often be led by the Spirit.

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit? It means to bring a total cessation to sin, which we are only able to do with the guidance and leadership of the Spirit.

What would it look like to watch a person do this? It is a combination of our own self discipline and the guidance of the Spirit. Of course, to defeat sin involves an element of determination to defeat it on our own part. This is where the self discipline comes in. However, it would be impossible for us to achieve on our own, and that is where the Spirit comes in.

What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? What does this look like in actual practice? How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together? How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us It involves giving ourselves over completely to Christ and allowing Him to take control. As we develop as Christians, this becomes easier as we learn, through experience, to hear what God is saying to us, and to trust in what He is telling us. As to how much is the Spirit and how much is us in this process, without the Spirit, it would be impossible for us to achieve. However, we have to be willing to be led.

• 3 months later...

To "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body means self-denial and harsh physical discipline; some who does this would be an ascetic, living on very little and fasting, perhaps avoiding the distractions of the world by living as a hermit, and practicing abstinence. Yet sometimes, some one may "mortify" the deeds of their body while living a relatively normal life. The key is whether or not the mind is detached from the desires of the flesh, whether one is tempted. One may be a harsh ascetic on the outside, but may still harbour lusty thoughts and cravings for good food. It all depends on one's attitude, whether one is "led by the Spirit" or not. To be "led" by the Spirit means to live the life of the Spirit; in practice it means to think only beautiful thoughts, pray constantly, to be pure in body and mind, and to hold the Spirit constantly as one's focus. These two are not contradictory, but rather complementary or synonymous. The flesh and the Spirit are at war with each other; either we serve the one or the other, there is no middle ground. The Spirit leads us only if we willingly follow It and do not rebel. So this first step, the will, or choice, depends on us, on whether we will stand the temptations of the flesh. And once we decide with all our being to serve the Spirit, the Spirit takes over and leads us on the beautiful and joyful life of the Spirit. Nothing will ever be the same.

• 1 month later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=819

Rom 8:13-14 MKJV For if you live according to the flesh, you shall die. But if you through the Spirit mortify the deeds of the body, you shall live. (14) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Putting to death means getting rid of, killing, denying the old sinful nature of the body. I don't think it would be too bad to watch as they would have to pray, seek repentance and forgiveness.

To be led by the Spirit would mean to have the Holy Spirit in you and gently pointing one in the right direction, letting the Holy Spirit be your guide and counsellor. It would be some one living a righteous life and living according to Gods will.

We have to put to death the old sinful nature before God can operate in our lives. We would be able to discern between right and wrong.

This would depend on how open we are to God and the Holy Spirit. :)

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit?

It means that we stop doing the things that are sinful as the Spirit reveal them to us.

What would it look like to watch a person do this?

To watch a person do this you'd see them pursuing righteousness; no longer would they allow the former ways of sin to rule over them but instead they allow the Spirit of God to led them.

What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit?

To be "led" by the Spirit means allowing Him to direct us in everything that we do.

What does this look like in actual practice?

Releasing the desires for the things of the flesh; those things that once held us in habitual sin, and submitting to the Holy Spirit to follow God's word and way for righteous living.

They fit together because when you are being led by the Spirit you put to death the sinful nature.

We must relinquish our will to God and then the Holy Spirit is free to do His will in us.

• 2 weeks later...

To 'mortify' means that we completely eliminate the deeds of the body.

This means that if our flesh wants us to do something, we have to resist if it's not according to God's will.

To be led by the Spirit means that we think about what the Bible says and then we obey that.

The guidance of the Spirit is the only way we can resist sin.

I don't know the ratio.

To me, it doesn't make sense to guess.

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit?

ANS - By the power of the Spirit, and by daily walking with him, we put to death those sinful acts that have kept us captive over the years.

ANS - This person becomes a new person with a different heart, attitudes, desires, and purpose in life. I've truly lived this experience, previously being bound by ***********, but then after recommitting my life to Christ and committing myself to a long (going on 3+ years now) renewal process my my tells me I am truly a different person than I was 3 years ago. I am not the same person she knew back then.

What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? What does this look like in actual practice?

ANS - WE must daily make the decision to grow in Him and yield to Him. As we do the Holy Spirit works within us.

How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together? How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us?

ANS - It's a simultaneous process and Christian lifestyle. In our inner heart we must decide. We must make a willful decision to be His disciple and follow in his footsteps. As we do we allow His spirit to lead us and to do his work within us.

• 2 weeks later...

What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit?

This is to put to death those desires and deeds of our flesh....we follow a new path to a Christ-like manner of living so put to death our old ways.

I think it would be to see a person wholly submitted and committed to the will of God, one not in rebellion but in peaceful loveing kindness.

What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit?

To be led is to follow with free will, we are not drug along as an unwilling participant but go with joy to follow our new life.

What does this look like in actual practice?

We put aside our desires and follow the love and peace of Christ Jesus through our comforter....we submit and become more like Him.

We put to death our old self and follow the Spirit as much for guidnace as to know the love and joy of being one with Christ.

God does not take us hostage, we go to follow the Spirit of our free will and because we want to grow more like our savior.

• 3 weeks later...

5a)To put to death the misdeeds of our body we need to repent of our sins,&submit to God. B) It would be like changing from the inside out, putting off old self & putting on new self,renewing the attitudes of our minds. B) C)Means learning to listen to the Spirit, opening our heart & mind to His leading,letting him have full control. D)Hear his voice through prayer, study, trusting, building relationship. E)Both are brought about by the Spirit, when we choose to obey,& not satisfy our own desires.It fit

• 4 weeks later...

Answer;

1.What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit?

It means to recognize your NEW IDENTITY IN CHRIST,focused on it,and Live through it,and in so doing you will mortify or put to death the deeds of the body,WITHOUT YOU KNOWING IT.It means you don