JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1 Timothy 1:12-14) Why does Paul comment on his own life after a paragraph on the law (1:8-11)? Why does he share this with Timothy and the church that will read the letter? How might sharing this help get the church back on center?

Since payl had been imprisoned and received God's mercy; he was letting oythers know that it was not to late to turn around,God will grant them mercy. This will encourage them to get it together and serve God.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Paul made these comments on his own life to show how his life changed after Jesus showed mercy to him. This change came about by Paul being taught true doctrine, and believing the true doctrine, as opposed to the untruths of the false teachers. Once the proper center is shown to be true, the church can then concentrate on the true purpose of the church instead of all the controversy and upheaval caused by false doctrine.

Q2. (1 Timothy 1:12-14) Why does Paul comment on his own life after a paragraph on the law (1:8-11)?

Paul, a Pharisee, studied the law - before he knew Christ, the law was a bondage to him, for even though he who was under the law he found himself a blasphemer, a persecutor: But, now that he has found Christ, God's mercy sent to us, Paul no longers finds the law to be so, it is no longer a means of servitude, instead, it is a means of loving God. It is a means to restrain us from walking the road of sin.

Why does he share this with Timothy and the church that will read the letter?

Timothy is under the authority, authorship of Paul, to teach the people the truth. Paul spoke of his own experience, established in truth, and it is the calling from God, that the church's foundation be on solid doctrine.

How might sharing this help get the church back on center?

Paul knew the scriptures as he studied God's word found in Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Jer 31:32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith Jehovah.

Jer 31:33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith Jehovah: I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people: God's law is to be established on LOVE. :rolleyes:

Q2. (1 Timothy 1:12-14) Why does Paul comment on his own life after a paragraph on the law (1:8-11)? Why does he share this with Timothy and the church that will read the letter? How might sharing this help get the church back on center?

Paul commented on his own life after the paragraph on the law because he wanted to teach what the true gospel does in the life of an individual. When the truth of the gospel is taught and you testify of it power to save and keep you saved you begin to trust God to do the same in you.

Q2. (1 Timothy 1:12-14) Why does Paul comment on his own life

after a paragraph on the law (1:8-11)? Because he lived his life based on the tradition of the law and not the truth and the truth made him free to be obedient in the law because of His love of Christ Jesus.

Why does he share this with Timothy and the church that will read the letter? So that they will understand how the truth can make them free too because he is living proof of the transformation that will come.

How might sharing this help get the church back on center? Well it may make them look at themselves and where they might be, locked in the system of lies that are contradictory to the truth.

Paul is using himself as an example of God's grace, to help Timothy and the church understand how grace works. This is clear in verses 15-17, where he states that Christ came into the world to save sinners, of whom he, Paul was the worst.

Sharing this might help the church get back on track of focussing on salvation rather than geneologies and legal hairsplitting, and other relatively beside the point pastimes.

Paul what the church to know that he went through the same thing and he want them to know that God saved him and the same could happen for them. Sometimes when people can see an example of someone being saved from sin it is more believable and they feel that someone else has gone through the same thing.

Paul shared that before he trusted in Christ as Savior, he was a blasphmer(speaking against God); a persecutor(pursuing christians like a hunter pursuing his prey);an insolent man(a violent person acting out of personal pride); but he obtained mercy. If Paul could find mercy after the terrible things he did against Christ, then God surely offers salvation with "open arms" to all people.

Grace is God's underserved, unearned freely given favor. This was encouragement to Timothy and the church. If this happen for Paul then it is available to all. Tiomothy and the church could have the same favor and so can we.

Than God for His grace and mercy. Something to shout about!

Paul states the meaning of the law, and that is good if one uses it properly, but he also demonstrates that the law is made for the unrighteous, by giving his life example, he shows that he lived under the law for he was a blasphemer, persecutor, and a violent man. And therefore shows timothy and the church, that was through Jesus

Paul was reminding us that he was a sinner at one time and was yet given a second chance by God to teach His word.

He shared this with Timothy and the church to show that if you want forgiveness, God will forgive you and show you the way and the right way to teach the Word.

It might help the people to realize that what they are doing is wrong, and go back to the Book and follow the true word, not something made up.

1. Paul uses his own conversion as a witness and a testimony to show how the real truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ has come to reveal the true meaning of God's grace and mercy. That he, Paul once a know killer of Jews who preached Jesus Christ and a message that brought the truth "we are all saved by grace least any man should boast." This truth, this grace and this message of mercy brought conviction to the heart and it angered him so. It angered him so that he wanted to wipe it out and the one who believed it and spread it.

2. The truth of the true gospel will always reveal the hearts of all who hear it. This is why Paul always insisted on the truth of God's word be preached. This is why it was important for him to always remind not only Timothy of this truth but to the church as well. If false teachings were being disbursed among the memebers than the power of the gospel was being watered down to where it was only a tale. He knew he must keep the truth coming in at Timothy to keep him on track so Timothy could keep the church on track.

3. In all to whom an assignment has been given such as starting a church, taking over a church, it is the responsibility of those to who Jesus has given the assignment to, that no matter who comes and goes they must preached and teach the written word of God. Preach it line upon line and precept upon precept. It is vitial that the work of God and the cross of Jesus Christ be stable and unmoveable for success to come and for the name above all names stay written over the door post. It is a hard thing to fall into the hands of God with false teachings and false witnesses.

It is truth and only the truth of the gospel that will set people free and it is truth and only truth that will bring salvation a true conversion as it did to Paul.

It was the truth of Jesus Christ and his work on the cross that gave sight to the blind eyes of Paul. It brought love for the Jews instead of hate. It brought forgiveness of all his sins.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 1:12-14

I think Paul commented on his own life to make the point that we ALL have sinned. And by being upfront in admitting to the earlier false beliefs and wrong actions of his own past, Paul neutralizes having the sins of his past being used against him.

But Paul also uses his own life to bring glory to God for His grace and mercy. As others have commented, Paul was appealing to those who were engaging in false teaching: I acted wrongly, but God's grace redeemed me and God's grace can redeem you, too.

Here is a lesson for the church; many insist that zeal and earnestness and sincerity are the important things with God. But Paul's example shows that zeal is not enough. In fact, if a man is wrong, his zeal only makes the wrong more intense. The more zeal he has, the more damage he does!

Hank - good point!

I like that Paul is giving the glory to Our Lord and Saviour. Usually Paul places this in the very beginning of his letters, but this time he placed it after he cites part of the law stating that the law is not made for a righteous man but for lawless or unrighteous man (v9). He is telling Timothy and us that God's grace surpasses all when we seek his forgiveness - why - because as Paul stated, he was one of the unrighteous and he did things that where not godly. Yet God's grace came upon him and he was redeemed by that grace. And not only redemmed, but used by God for a purpose that tells others of God's glory and grace. God's uconditional love made known in the sharing of the Gospel of Christ.

Jesus came to save that which was lost - those who were not righteous in God's sight - which is all of us. Romans tells us"that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (3:23).

God's grace is poured out for all, but Paul is reminded us that God's grace is to us as we realize our sins, our disobedience and our need for his saving grace. The passage tells us who God is, why he cares so deeply for us, and why we too can live in his grace - because of Christ Jesus our Lord. This is a tribute to our God who extends his mercy and grace to us, and Paul's disclosure of his past only ignites the fire that shows us the grace of God to forgive us our sins.

The words Paul used was designed to get their attention. He wanted them know that grace and mercy was unmerited. God's mercy and God's grace is given. The law had its place and purpose. He followed the law but was changed on the Damascus Road as he sought out those of "The Way." Jesus was the truth and the way. Through Him, alone, are we redeemed. Ths lets those of us, and I include myself, know that we need but repent and ask forgiveness for the things we have done through Jesus Christ. We will be received as was the prodigal son.

Paul was a pharisee who thought he was the perfect example of living by the law and Torah, taking vengeance on those who followed Christ with 'righteous' murder. The law was everything, until Jesus bailed him up and love took over and changed him forever. Now he hated his own former ignorance, arrogance and unbelief, but praised God mightily that He, being patient with Paul, had showed him the truth, the reality of Jesus Christ and the law of love that is above every human law. He then began to understand that law is necessary to keep people from criminal behaviour of the worst kind, but the actions of love can never be described by law, but directed only by the Spirit of God within a person. Where love rules, law is overwritten. The law is a cup full of obedience, but love is an ocean of grace.

He shares all this with Timothy and the churches who will read the letter because he is an example of God' patience and transforming power that is available to every believer. He wants them to understand the hugeness of God's grace and patience - to begin to know that element of God. He wants them to stand in absolute awe of the God who transforms, saves, recreates, transfers life, rebuilds with patience and love, consistently, and in terror of abusing the grace that is offered them.

The more people understand about God, the more devoted they will become as they realise what He is offering to us. A little fear of abusing the privilege of living in grace doesn't go amiss either. Paul refers to his own insolence so that people might vigorously avoid that arrogance of unbelief, or wrong belief.

Paul comment on his own life after a paragraph on the law to show how he only went strickly by the law at one point in his life , he was the worest of sinners, by thinking that his actions was right when he was persecuting and blaspheming casuing injury to God people, but he was doing it because he was ignorant in his unbelife. Paul then became aware of the deeper truths and found the True Gospel, peace, grace and mercy of Jesus Christ .

Paul is sharing this with Timothy and the churchs that will read the letter so that doing Timothy time, along with our time and all the churchs that read the letter would come to understand that false teachers is very much real and can cause broken relationship with God.

By this Paul is letting us know that he is sharing help for the church to get back on the right track. By showing relationship with God, and how Paul ungodly, disobedient and profame knowledge was not based on sound doctrine and the true Gospel, but through his Damascus road experience he had come to know the knowledge of the true Gospel of his relationship with the law vs. his relationship with God grace and mercy and the peace of God.

He had been a strict follower of the law--even to the point of missing God.

As when we witness, our experience & who we were before shows the power of God in changing our lives.

Sharing this brings the focus back on Jesus Christ & why He died and his love, grace & mercy.

When I was learning to preach, my pastor told me that I needed to show the congregation that I really beleived what I was saying because of how it's impacted my life. I think that's why you use illustrations of yourself and close family friends when teaching anything, not only is telling a story more interesting than giving a list of facts, but it shows that you really believe what you're saying.

Everything that Paul did was to bring people closer to Christ.

This was a church that had people in high positions starting to lead back to teachings of the law and endless geneologies. By telling his story, the story of a man that lived that life to the extreme and then learned hte truth, he's pulling htem back to where they need to be.

Paul comments on his own life because they probably knew that he was a Jew of Jews. He was trained in the LAW and followed it to a tee. Acts 22:3 "I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city. Under Gamaliel I was thoroughly trained in the law of our fathers and was just as zealous for God as any of you are today." (NIV) He also held in high esteem those who also followed the law. Acts 22:20 "And when the blood of your martyr Stephen was shed, I stood there giving my approval and guarding the clothes of those who were killing him."(NIV) Paul could also get testemony to his zeal for the law from people in high places. Acts 22:5 "As also the high priest and all the Council can testify."(NIV) I think Paul was reminding them of the difference between laws which were set in stone and a hard heart verses the spirit of the law which is tempered with love and grace.

The church has become so divided with so many different laws to chose from, I don't know if it will get back on center till the LORD comes again. But if it is to come close, judgement of others based solely upon position other than that in Christ, must stop.

Darrell

What I got from that is that Paul did not want his Jewish brothers to think that just because they had the law they understood the truth. It is not by the law which was given to lawless men but by grace and mercy given by God through Christ Jesus that one can see and understand the truth of the gospel. This grace and mercy is free to all even a blasphemer, persecutor and a violent man.

To show even though he knew the law he was deceived in his thinking, until Jesus poured out his mercy on him. He shared with them to show them the right track to follow. That even himself had to change his thinking and become a deciple of the lord. It isn't the law but the grace and mercy of God that saves.

Let's first take a look at the words Grace and mercy:

GRACE - being given something that we don't deserve.

MERCY - not getting what we do deserve.

Paul tells of his own life after a paragraph on the law, because this was Paul's life in the beginning. Paul lived according to the law of the Old Testament. He was out torturing and killing Christians because they believed in faith in Christ and his atonement to set them free from sin. Paul wants the people to know what a sinner he was before he meet Christ that day on the road. Many people have the impression that what they have done is to bad to be forgiven and Paul wanted them to know that God will forgive you no matter what you have done if you repent and ask for forgiveness and accept Christ.

He shared this with Timothy and the church to bring encouragement to the ones that were feeling God would never accept them. It was also encouraging to the whole of the congregation that it truly was by Grace and Jesus shed blood that we could become a part of the family of God.

This sharing that Paul did helped the church to get back on track of what the church was about: to worship in unity, to fellowship and lift up other believers, and most important of all to show who Christ was and spread the good news.