JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Doxology

Q3. (1 Timothy 1:17) What do we learn about God from this doxology?

God is King of ages, ruler of the universe. God is immortal, imperishable. God is invisible, unseen.

God is the God of Israel, Yahweh, the one true God; The God that Christ Jesus reconciled us to, the God Christ taught us how to pray to, the God that Jesus rent the veil to, that we may go into His throne room. The God that loved us, He sent His Son.

What do we learn about praise?

Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, to God who sits upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. Let us never cease to offer up to God the sacrifice of praise, for His mercy and grace sent to us. I have learned - my praise should never cease to be.

Have you ever tried speaking out a doxology in your personal prayer or praise time?

Praise to God is always on my lips and in my heart.

What effect does a doxology have on the speaker?

If I speak the doxology from my heart, the effect should be seen, living a life of praise, honor, and glory to God.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 Timothy 1:17) What do we learn about God from this doxology? What do we learn about praise? Have you ever tried speaking out a doxology in your personal prayer or praise time? What effect does a doxology have on the speaker?

We learn that God is Supreme, all wise, ever present, none has seen, and the one and only true God. We learn that through our trials and tribulations we need to continue to praise and worship the Almighty. We need to praise him when we have a mountain top experience and when we are in our valley experiences. We must keep our focus on Jesus and with the help of the Holy Spirit we can make it. We'll also be able to discern between good doctrine and false doctrine. Wolves in sheep clothing.

The effect of speaking a doxology in prayer or in worship for me fills my spirit and makes me more humble, makes me distinctly aware of God's greatness, and enhances my praise and my worship. I am lifting up God. I am lookig toward the hills where my help comes from, knowing that my help comes from the Lord.

Q3. (1 Timothy 1:17) What do we learn about God from this doxology? What do we learn about praise? Have you ever tried speaking out a doxology in your personal prayer or praise time? What effect does a doxology have on the speaker?

I wonder why we decide that "King" means the Father. I'm not being disrepectful, I'm just wondering.

The verses immediately preceding speaks of Jesus Christ coming into the world to save sinners, of Him demonstrating His perfect patience and of His granted eternal life to those who "believe in Him". It's all about Christ.

So why the switch in the next verse?

I read all these names and think they apply equally to the Son --

King -- yes, He rules. God the Father has given that to Him -- He will reign on the throne of David forever and ever. He is the Prince of peace, and the One who comes in power and might to set up His kingdom.

He is my Lord now, but one day "every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord to the glory of God the Father" (phil. 2)

"My Kingdom is not of this world" (spoken to Pilate) But Jesus does have a Kingdom. He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

He is eternal -- "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

He is the same yesterday today and forever.

He is immortal -- the only Begotten of the Father. If you've seen Me you've seen the Father. He is the true Light, that coming into the world, illumines every man.

He is invisible. Though we do not see Him we love Him -- and one day we will see Him face to face. That will be wondrous to me. And though He is now invisible, He has graciously left us His Spirit to teach us and guide us into all Truth.

He is the only God -- "I and My Father are One."

"... and the government will be upon His shoulders. And He shall be called Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, on the throne of David and over His Kingdom." (Is. 9:6-7)

No wonder we fall flat on our faces as did Isaiah and John on Patmos -- we serve an infinitely glorious God, revealed in His Son and worthy of all praise and adoration.

Amen and Amen

For us to be saved, we have to believe "Jesus is the Son of God."

We believe there is one God, Psalm 10: 16 The Lord is King forever and ever. He is the Lord of heaven and earth, the God of Israel.

In Genesis 24:2 Abraham had his servant swear (take an oath by the Lord, the God of heaven and the God of the earth. The oaths were to be taken = Deut. 6:13 You shall fear the Lord your God and serve Him, and shall take oaths in his name.

Paul, when he was in Athen's, he could not speak of the Son of God, for they did not belive in One God, so he taught them, the unknown god they made an idol for, was God, the only true God,

Acts 17:23-24 The one whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you: God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is lord of heaven and earth.

Christ himself gave praise Luke 10:19 I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth. All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father. (God reveals Himself only through Jesus. To know God, one must know His Son, Jesus)

Jesus teaches us what the greatest commandment in the law is,

Deu 6:4-5 Listen, Israel! The LORD our God is the only true God! So love the LORD your God with all your heart, soul, and strength. -

Mat 22:37 Jesus answered: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind.

Mat 22:38 This is the first and most important commandment.

For us to be saved by, we must believe that Jesus is the Son of God: The God Christ tells us, we are to love with all our hearts.

In Revelation 4:8-9 we read, And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. and when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,

Rev 4:11 Rev 5:2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?

Rev 5:3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.

Rev 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

Rev 5:7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.

This is why I believe the King is God the Father.

In the Love of Christ I send this.

:rolleyes:

Q3. (1 Timothy 1:17) What do we learn about God from this doxology? God is eternal, invisible, immortal and the only God.

Praise involves reverence, it includes glory which is recogntion of status or performance and Amen refers to truth.

Have you ever tried speaking out a doxology in your personal prayer or praise time? What effect does a doxology have on the speaker? It makes one more aware of God's glory and how are privileged to praise Him. :)

I wonder why we decide that "King" means the Father. I'm not being disrepectful, I'm just wondering.

The verses immediately preceding speaks of Jesus Christ coming into the world to save sinners, of Him demonstrating His perfect patience and of His granted eternal life to those who "believe in Him". It's all about Christ.

I read all these names and think they apply equally to the Son --

I agree. I think regarding Jesus Messiah as King is appropriate.

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying,

"All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth."

Matthew 28:18

We learn Time to come ("Eternal"), Corruption and death ("Immortal"), Seen and unseen ("Invisible"), The only God, Reverence, recognition ("Glory"), A strong expression of faith "Amen".

Yes, Meny times, daily.

Enrich with God blessing, "Oh bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me, bless His Holy Name,"Amen".

We learn that God is eternal, immortal, invisible, the only true God.

Once realizing who God is, praise erupts naturally!!

Rarely do I pray using the doxologies themselves, but use portions in praise. Often I remember songs people have written using the words of the Bible. I remember this one especially, so I sing it!

The speaker is raised up into the heights with Jesus--out of the mucks & things of earth that try to entrap us! Praise Him!

We learn that Paul called God the King eternal. God is truly eternal. He is immortal and invisible. This draws attention to the exalted nature of God, and the discription only points to His uniqueness. God should be praised above all. This put in prespective the true nature of God in Paul's heart.

LET EVERYTHING THAT HAS BREATH PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Q3. (1 Timothy 1:17) What do we learn about God from this doxology?

He is King, of now and of eternity, incorruptible and immortal, invisible, the ONLY God.

Because He is God, we are to honor and glorify Him forever and ever (to the ages of ages) amp.

Have you ever tried speaking out a doxology in your personal prayer or praise time?

This is one of the joys I've been learning after asking Him to teach me to and how to worship Him. He inhabits the praises of His people...He is always near, but His presence is manifested in worship.

What effect does a doxology have on the speaker?

It magnifies and elevates Him to His rightful place in my heart and mind...He is God. He is on the royal throne. He is worthy of all praise and honor and glory, His is the wealth, the dominion and the power. I'm His humble creature who brings Him joy as I worship Him...it brings us into intimate union and relationship, because I was created to love and worship Him. It reminds me that He is in control...I'm not, nor do I have to be, nor want to be. It reminds me that whatever issues or problems or trials I'm going through, are "covered"...and all is well. He sees it all, knows it all, and is Sovereign. Worship fills me as I fulfill my purpose. (Even the rocks will cry out if I don't....)

That He is worthy to be praised, He is mighty in battle, He is everyone and everything I will ever need as long as I live and beyond. He is the great I Am. It was my own praise to Him. When reading it from scripture and listening to what you are actually saying you become emotional realizing How blessed you really are to have a God of greatness love you so much He saved you by giving His only Son as payment for our many sins and to save our souls.

That God is eternal, immortal, invisible and the only God

That God likes to be praised, worshiped.

It shows that the speaker likes to praise the Lord.

I agree with your points hausemouse. Jesus, as the embodiment of God has the same attributes as God the Father. I see this as falling into the paradox of the three in one. Jesus is fully man and fully God. So if God is Eternal, Immortal, Invisible, and the only God, so is Jesus (and the Holy Spirit for that matter). My theology might be al ittle bit off, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me, but I've always seen the difference between the three as basically their roles. Jesus came to earth and now He's the mediator between us and God. Jesus left the Holy Spirit to fill us and guide us (John has a whole list of things He does, but I'm too lazy to look it up) now that Jesus is back in heaven.

I think that in the Bible when the Father is referred to, it's always God the Father, because Jesus is The Son. I see these particular verses as being a sponteneous, emotional praise of thankgiving by Paul. While everything else in his letters are very thought through and logically laid out, every once in awhile he's overcome with emotion and spits out a word of thanksgiving like this one. At least that's why I assume he's talking about God the Father versus Jesus.

As forthe questions, the descriptors that paul uses gives us more of the awesome attributes of God. He's eternal, will be around forever both backwards and forwards in time. He's Immortal, can never die. He's Invisible, present but not seen except in the results of His presence. He's the only God, the only one worthy to be worshipped.

When I read this doxology, I can't help but imagine Paul in a house (in my head it's always a log cabin with a fire in the fireplace) dictating to his secretary and all of sudden, he jumps up and gives this doxology with great exuberance. at the end of it, he almost collapses in a heap on his bed, giddy but nearly exhausted. Praise has to come first and foremost from the heart. It's got to acknowledge the awesomeness of God. I think those are the first things I notice about praise in these verses. It should get your heart pumping and get you excited. It should also make you look forward to the things that God is about to do.

"Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen" (NIV) From this praise of Paul's we learn that there is only one God and he is everlasting and is worthy of our praise.

Any time I thank the LORD for food, clothing, safety, health, friendships and even for today it is a form of a doxology. I realize through prayer and thanksgiving that all things come from God and giving thanks I acknowlege that he is our King. Through prayer and thanksgiving I also acknowlege His saving grace which gives me hope eternal. Yesterday I stated that I didn't know if the church would ever get back on center because of all the different rules the present day churches have. My praise to God sustains my hope and courage to be the best Christ centered witness I can.

Jesus stated that the best doxolgy we can offer is through our life. He stated that doing something as simple as giving a glass of water to someone thirsty or offering a hand of frienship in his name is noted by our Father in heaven. Does it make me feel good to do good? Yes it does. Not because I am good but because God is good and I am being obedient to God.

Darrell

We learn how far God is beyond the limited human thought realm, how it is impossible for us to contain him in a box of our making - beyond the confines of His creation of time, greater by far than the mind of corrupted mankind, too extraordinary for our eyes to see or envision, whose wisdom is far greater than human comprehension can contain or challenge. All the sufferings of this life are are worth every bit just to have the opportunity to know Him, even in our limited way.

Praise should errupt out of our every consideration of our gracious Father. To know Him is to be constantly astounded with joy which turns into praise.

Yes, I love the doxologies and should use them far more. Also I understand that we can create our own doxologies, and just like Paul, break out into praise of Almighty God at any time or stage in our own lives where we are giving consideration to some facet of His provision for us. They open my eyes to the magnitude of our God, to His great glory and the magnificence of His grace and love for His children (me). They lift my spirit far beyond the corrupt mentality of humanity, out and into the infinite, limitless realms of the Kingdom of Heaven. I want to live there forever.

He is the only one true god. He is holy holy holy and righteous. Loving, caring, forgiving and merciful.

When i pray i give all the glory and thanks to God. I know all thinks come from him and through him and that everything is for our good.

God is forever, unseen, The Only One. God is to get all the honor and glory. I do not have any of these doxologies memorized, although I do include portions of these words in my personal prayer. I think that speaking out a doxology reminds me that without God, I am nothing. Also, that I should give God thanks for everything and honor Him in all I do. For me, it is very humbling. I will try and commit some of these doxologies to memory. It is always comforting to be able to quote scripture.

We learn here that God is eternal ( always was and always will be), that He is immortal, invisible, the one and only TRUE God.

What we learn about praise is that God likes for us to spend time praising Him and thanking Him for who He is and what He does. We are giving Him recognition for being a God of Love, we show reverence and respect to Him. He gave His only begotten Son to us as an atonement for our sins, by praising Him we are thanking Him for what He has done for us. He is here with us and we are in His presence when we are praising Him.

The speaker finds spiritual devotion as he speaks. It reminds Him of what God has done for Him which strenghtens his faith as he helps and encourages others.

Q1, What do we learn....He is King eternal,immortal,invicible,the only GOD

Q2,What do we learn about praise?........praise is an outcome expression of our gratitude to what God has done to "US" as sinners

Q3, Have you tried....... YES!!!

Q4, What effect.......... it reminds the speaker of God's grace and mercy towards him/her and his faithfullness to those who love him

1. That He is our King of Kings and Lord of Lords. 2. You can't help but speak out a doxology when you pray or praise Him. When we are truly praying through the Spirit and by the Spirit we can't help but pray and praise Him. When we read in Revelations of how the angels call Him Jesus, they are bowed before the throne. They are praising Him and calling Him Holy, Lamb of God, who is and was and will forever be. When we speak this out it is because the Holy Spirit is causing us to see it through our spirit and it becomes our doxology.

We learn that God is King, eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God. In praise we are to give Him glory, honor, and reverence. I have not tried it, but I will now. I think the effect of a doxology on a speaker would be a life changing experience.

That God is invisible, that he has always been and always will be, he is the Alpha and Omega and that he is the only True God and should be shown honor and glory forever and ever.