JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Exhortation

Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him?

For the same reason we must be reminded, our doctrine must be on solid ground, or, the door would be opened to those ministers who bring questions, bringing doubt.

We know the law is good, when man uses it lawfully, with circumcised hearts of love. - Timothy knew the holy scriptures, being a good Jewish young man, who loved God; God's word would make one wise unto salvation through Faith, which is in the Messiah, Jesus.

In practical terms, what does "fight the good fight" really mean?

For me it means - "staying in faith" - I must put on the WHOLE armour of God.

Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Why does Paul tell Timothy to "hold on to faith and a good conscience"?

1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

With the help of the Holy Spirit -- 2Cor4:2 we renounce dishonesty, no longer walking in craftiness, nor do we handle the word of God deceitfull; but we manifest the truth, having a good conscience in the sight of God

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, (God's likeness, statue, representation, resemblance) should shine unto them.

What temptation is Paul trying to counter in his prot

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that each one of us would take this to heart. Fight the Good Fight. Stand for righteousness and truth. Hold fast to the gospel message and do not allow any other message to distract us from our purpose.

Paul says that "If anyone else -- even an angel -- should come to you with another gospel, let him be accursed. (Gal. 1:9)

Our stand for the gospel can be a spiritual battle, and I think this exhortation has great application in today's culture of moral relativism. Where people teach that all ways lead to God, and you have your truth and I'll have mine, it is more important than ever to stand firm and fight the good fight.

I think it's important to do this with gentleness and under the guidance of the Spirit. -- the servant of the Lord is not to be quarrelsome, but shoudl be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are inopposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance (2 Tim. 2:24).

It is my prayer that I will be able to echo Paul's words at the end of my life -- that I have fought the good fight, finished the course and kept the faith.

There is a poem by Robert McQuilkin that I found among my Dad's papers after he passed away from a brain tumor in 2004. It's long, but it expresses the prayer to 'end well." If you will endulge me, I've included it here:

Let Me Get Home Before Dark

It's sundown, Lord,

the shadows of my life stretch back

into the dimnes of the years long spent.

I fear not death, for the grim foe betrays himself at last,

thrusting me forever into life:

Life with you, unsoiled and free.

But I do fear:

I fear that dark spectre may come too soon --

or do I mean, too late?

That I should end before I finish or

finish, but not well.

That I should stain your honor, shame you name,

grieve your loving heart.

Few, they tell me, finish well . . .

Lord, let me get home before dark.

The darkness of a spirit

grown mean and small, or fruit shriveled on the vine,

bitter to the taste of my companions,

burden to be borned by those brave few who love me still.

No, Lord. Let the fruit grow lulsh and sweet,

A joy to all who taste;

Spirit-sign of God at work,

stronger, fuller, brighter at the end.

Lord, let me get home before dark.

The darkness of tatered gifts,

rust-locked, half-spent, or ill-spent,

A life that once was used of God

now set aside.

Grief for glories gone or

Fretting for a task God never gave.

Mourning in the hollow chambers of memory,

Gazing on teh faded banners of vitories long gone.

Cannot I run well unto the end?

Lord, let me get home before dard/

The outer decays --

I do not fret or ask reprieve.

The ebbing strength but weans me from mother earth

and grows me up for heaven.

I do not cling to shadows cast by immortality.

I do not patch the scaffold lent to build the real, eternal me.

I do not clutch about me my cocoon,

vainly struggling to hold hostage

a free spirit pressing to be born.

But will I reach the gate

in lingering pain, body distorted, grotesque?

Or will it be a mind wandering untethered among light phantasies or grim terrors?

Of your grace, Father, I humbly ask,. . .

Let me get home before dark.

That poem describes the desire of a believer's heart, I think. We ought to keep on until the Lord calls us home. Keep on in the fight, running the race set before us with our eyes firmly fixed on Jesus Christ the author and perfector of our faith, and with our feet firmly planted in His word.

As a well-known teacher says, "There is not retirement in the time of war." So we need to stay in the battle and follow the lead of our Commander. Fight the good fight.

I apologise for the length of this post -- but I did want to share the poem. Please let me know if it was out of line for me to do so.

Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him?

I think it's because Paul knew Timothy was younger in the faith, feeling pressure and great responsibility for what was going on in the church, and as a reminder that God in His foresight had already spoken about the mantle which had been placed on Timothy to minister in the body of Christ. I tend to forget that God is in control when fear, pressure, or "overwhelm" set in... God's Word brings me back to Who is in control...it must have been the same for Timothy and Paul, and Paul was exhorting him to stand firm in the faith and to remember that God Himself had given him the power to address the false teachers, and false doctrine...and all.

It means to be kind, compassionate, caring, and at the same time, strong , persistent, valiant in spiritual warfare. David was a warrior King...and fighting is part of the Christian life. I'm also to "fight" my flesh, by submitting to the Holy Spirit's Lordship. We fight with wisdom, courage, God's understanding and His Word, truth, prayer and fasting....never in the flesh. For our warfare is against powers and principalities and darkness, not with the individuals who manifest those things.

So as to stand in the battle...Satan is after our faith, and wants us to live "like" we have faith, but don't LIVE by faith. Holding onto our faith IS the battle. Faith isn't just belief, It's the inner knowing that God is more real than anything else in this world. Most of Satan's attacks are to weaken our faith, to cause doubts to draw us away from God, and to distrust Him or His Word. The good conscience is to not give Satan any foothold into Timothy's faith.

Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him? In practical terms, what does "fight the good fight" really mean? Why does Paul tell Timothy to "hold on to faith and a good conscience"? What temptation is Paul trying to counter in his prot

... Once satan succeed in laying a guilt trip on a believer, that believer has put himself in satan's hand - just like Job. God did not put Job in satan's hand; job did, through his negative confessions.

I think I disagree with the poster. Yes, Job had some "negative confessions," but "negative confessions" aren't the point of the story of Job. Job was a righteous man. God used Job as an example of a righteous man, even though he allowed Satan to attack him. I think that's the point. That and that we don't always know why God is allowing things.

:rolleyes:Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him? To advise him to be positive and to encourage him.

It means to do one's best to serve and glorify God.

Timothy could have easily been influenced by the false teachers and Paul is reminding him to stay firm in teaching the truth.

:rolleyes:Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him? To advise him to be positive and to encourage him.

It means to do one's best to serve and glorify God.

Timothy could have easily been influenced by the false teachers and Paul is reminding him to stay firm in teaching the truth.

Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him? In practical terms, what does "fight the good fight" really mean? Why does Paul tell Timothy to "hold on to faith and a good conscience"? What temptation is Paul trying to counter in his prot

To encourage him in a time when the church was going through a

crisis period.In practice terms to fight the good fight is the

calling to believe and spread the gospel of the Lord as per 1

Timothy 6:p12 Paul is telling Timothy to remain steadfast in his

belief and not be led astray by the false teachings.

I think it's always good to remember our testimony. It reminds us of where we've been and how we got through it. I think that's what Paul was trying to do with Timothy when he reminded him of the prophesy about him. When I think through the events that God has gotten me through and the messages I ahve received from Him, it gives me a sense of purpose and strength that I didn't have before going out of my way to remember.

Paul used a lot of sports analogies didn't he? I think this one means, stick with it and continue on fighting for the good. I've worked in churches and with pastors who I bumped heads with over a bunch of issues. In those situations I've felt completely alone and I literally begged God to let me quit. I didn't feel like it was the right to do it. If you are up against your church, especially on doctrine issues, there is no lonelier feeling or a feeling more likely to make you want to quit. It zaps all your strength and makes you want to just passive-aggressively agree with anything in order to end the constant battles. paul was telling Timothy to stick with it because he's fighting for the side of good.

The "hold onto faith" question is very closely related to the above. When you're fighting your church, it's easy to feel like God has forgotten about you, afterall, if God is God and the church is God's how does so much false stuff come into it? The answer is that chruches are run by imperfect humans who make mistakes. I worked with one pastor who I think mistook his goals for God's plans/timing. It happens. At the time however, all ou see is the corruption and the problems and the people who are causing them.

I thinkt he temptation Timothy was facing was being overwhelmed by his assignment. Everything here seems to be a coach telling his athlete that he really does have the energy to finish and to finish strong. Timothy seems worn down and Paul is simply trying to keep him going.

Paul reminds Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him to reassure him that God has chosen him for the tasks ahead of him. Paul knew it would be challenging, and wants to give Timothy encouragement. Fight the good fight means to stand against wrong, and profess Christ to others. Paul tells Timothy to hold on to faith and a good conscience to be an example to others and honor God. Paul does not want Timothy to become like others who have turned away from God.

Paul reminds Timothy of prophecies spoken over him so Timothy will be reminded of his calling, his spiritual gifts and to us them. Don't be afraid because if God gives you a calling He will be with you to provide which you need to carry that calling out.

" fight the good fight" We have to remember that we are new creatures but we still have the old sin nature to deal with daily. There is always battles going on inside us, therefore to fight the good fight we must not give up and quit. We are called with a purpose and must continue on even when many things come against us. You may get knocked down, but you must get back up and continue on.

Paul is telling Timothy to stay focused on Christ and the " good news" by doing this he will stay on task and keep his own heart pure.

I believe Paul mentions about the prophecy once spoken to timothy, is to remind him of his call and encourage him. Fight the good fight means to present the gospel as for what it really is and stand against those who try to diminish and lead people astray as some man were doing. When Paul said to timothy to hold on to faith and a good conscience, he was telling him not to go away from the faith presented to him and the only way to do that is always to let the Holy Spirit search your heart, that

To fight the good fight means do not let anything or anyone stumble you away from the truth of God's word. Reminding Timothy of the prophecies are just reminders to keep down in his heart in order that he will not stumble. Holding on to the faith means if you fight the good fight, keep those reminders deep in your heart you will hold on to your faith and will help you to keep a good clean conscience. Paul was talking to Timothy because the temptation was there to turn away from God and his word and knew if that would happen it would be calamity for Timothy and he would lose that close relationship with God and would not receive blessings.