JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Confession

jesus died for our sins,and confession is something we all need to do.

weconfess our sins cause we feel guilty,.

when i confess my sin t god i feel very good knowing he forgave me.

there alot of sinners out there that doesnt know the meaning of confessions,and we need to help them.

my lord why have u forsaken me?that the question we need to worry,when we do wrong the lord is not happy with us,but we can always confess to him the lord is always with us.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

I would define confession as "coming clean" with God. Confessing our sins is so important, because when we hide from God, He cannot cleanse us, forgive us, and ultimately heal and restore us. We are "stuck" or "dead" in our sins. If we stop confessing our sins, we will carry a "counterfeit" yoke that God never intended for us to carry. The promises given to us is that God will cleanse us from all righteousness, forgive us our sins, and restore us to be reconciled with Him. Cleansing "cleans us" by removing the sin...and forgiveness causes the sin to be cast as far as the east is from the west...forever removed from any judgment. Praise Jesus for His Blood...!!!

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"?

Saying honestly to God: "YOU are right and I am wrong"... in other words, acknowledging my sin, that I have fallen short of His Glory. For me it involves repentance...the desire to not repeat the behavior, or sinful thoughts.

Why is confessing our sins so important?

Unconfessed sin creates a barrier or distance in my relationship with God. It leaves me feeling guilty and wanting to hide, as Adam did when he sinned.

What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins?

I would say at that point I would be walking in darkness, living the lie that I no longer need the Lord or His cleansing blood. That would mean I've moved into total deception and denial of my true condition.

What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins?

He promises to cleanse me from all sin and unrighteousness...that includes the guilt. I've had to learn the difference between true guilt from conviction of the Holy Spirit, and false guilt from Satan...I used to feel guilty for just being tempted to sin! He's a relentlessly clever devil.

How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

Forgiveness restores the relationship with God, cleansing washes away the guilt from the offense against God and man. (or even self, in the case of self destructive behavior which injures or destroys His temple in which we both live!)

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

You admit that you have committed a sin and by confessing it, there is no doubt that it was a sin. If we stop confessing our sins, we say that we have no sin in our life and you need no forgiveness. The promise is that it will be removed and remembered no more. Forgiveness is different because when you are forgiven, you need to be cleansed by repentance and wash with the blood of Christ.

God Bless;

Mike

When we sin we are separated from God, and when we don't repent of that sin, we open the door for satan to come in and put us back in bondage. Jesus Christ can and will cleanse us from sin and make us whole again. God will forgive us of our sins if we repent with a pure heart. When we sin, our soul becomes stained and dirty. When we repent, God takes away the stain from our souls and makes us pure again.

To freely tell all of ones actions that are wrong so as to free ourselves of guilt so that we can move on and have fellowship with Christ.It is important to confess our sins to God for forgiveness. To stop confessing our sins is like saying we have no sin, or none that really matter, and that would be like calling God a liar and that there is no place in our heart for His Word. He promises to be faithful and just, and to cleanse us from our wickedness. Forgiveness is like a pardon, a dismisal of ones wrongful actions, but a cleansing is being washed of all wrongs being given a new chance, a new life. :rolleyes:

Confession pre-supposes salvation. Prior to being justified by grace, I was a slave to sin. I was incapable of not sinning. And, conversly, incapable of perfoming a righteous or holy act.

My responsibility now is to live as the new person I became the moment I was saved and indwelt by the Holy Spirit. That responsibility is to become holy. This is a "this" life process we call sanctification. Even though I am a new person now capable of not sinning by following the leading of the Holy Spirit (God in me). My natural person (Old Adam) continues to be sinful, but now that I am capable of not sinning that is my responsibility. I need now to choose to not sin.

When I fail to be holy, I sin. Confession is the act I perform to acknowledge to God that I understand my sin. In my early faith walk, I am just learning to not sin and am not very good at it. As I mature, I learn to become better at knowing the sin in my life. As I confess my sin, my relationship with the Holy Trinity improves.

When I fail to confess, I intentionally fail in my responsibility to grow in my relationship with God, Christ and the Holy Spirit. As we learn from St. John in the Tenth Chapter of his Gospel, Christ the good shepard will seek out the lost sheep and return it to its fellowship with both Him and the other sheep. The good news for me is that there is no sin so big that it cannot be covered by God's Grace.

When I confess and repent, I am forgiven. As I act to remove sin from my life, I am cleansing it. And, though I fail to act in perfect accordance with God's demand that I be holy, Christ's work on the cross is perfect and complete. When Christ comes again and takes me to be with Him, I will be Glorified and live a completely prefect, cleansed life for eternity.

[b]Confession is agreeing with what God says. Confession is literally good for th soul. Confesssion also restore our realationship with God. If we stop confessing we will be separated from God.If we confess, God will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. When we confess we are forgiven and God will remember no more. We are cleanse by the blood of Jesus. Cleansing and confession both give us a new start and another chance. All this was made possible by what happen on the cross, Jesus death and resurrection .[/b]

Confession is the declaration of one's sins to God. Confession of sin is important because it relieves you from past sins. If we do not confess our sins we are making God a liar. If we confess He is faithful and just to forgive all our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Forgiveness of sins is God's action to man and cleasing is man's effort to clean himself or herself.

Confession is agreeing with God about our sins. It is important that we confess to Him. He already knows; He wants to make sure we know & really want to repent.

If we stop confessing, essentially we stop agreeing with God about our sins. That is also a form of self deception. Plus our fellowship with God is hindered.

If we confess, He is faithful & just to forgive us our sins & cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Cleansing is taking care of character problems.....another form of sin.

I really appreciate King David's confession in Psalm 51 which I will use to answer...

How would you define "confession"?

1 Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness;

According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.

3 For I know my transgressions,

And my sin is ever before me.

4 Against You, You only, I have sinned

And done what is evil in Your sight,

So that You are justified when You speak

And blameless when You judge.

5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,

And in sin my mother conceived me.

6 Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being,

And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.

consider the opposite of the following passages:

7 Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;

Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

8 Make me to hear joy and gladness,

Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.

9 Hide Your face from my sins

And blot out all my iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,

And renew a steadfast spirit within me.

11 Do not cast me away from Your presence

And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation

And sustain me with a willing spirit.

now, consider them again...

7 Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;

Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

8 Make me to hear joy and gladness,

Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.

9 Hide Your face from my sins

And blot out all my iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,

And renew a steadfast spirit within me.

11 Do not cast me away from Your presence

And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation

And sustain me with a willing spirit.

13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,

And sinners will be converted to You.

14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation;

Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness.

15 O Lord, open my lips,

That my mouth may declare Your praise.

Q3. (1 John 1:9)

A: For me confession is the act of recognizing and admitting one

confession is owning up to what I've done, and to how I am.

without confession there is no feeling of forgiveness.

how can I feel forgiven if I do not accept that there is something to forgive

confession is admission

we experience no clean newborn start, instead we live with dis-ease

What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

forgiveness is felt instantly like an inpouring from above

cleansing takes time.

The act of acknowledging our sin and not covering it to God, and to other people to whom we make sin

Because our sins make our relationship to God not run well, need to be restored by our sin confession.

God will hide his face from us and will not listen our prayers (Isaiah 1:15); God will not make our paths straight (Proverbs 3:6); His good plans for us cannot be executed

He will forgive us our sin and purify us from all unrighteousness

How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

Forgiveness of sins is about restoring our relationship to God because he has forgiven us ; cleansing is about removing the unrighteousness from our soul

To me, the opposite of confession is clinging to my sin, holding its ugliness close and even nurturing it. When I confess my sin, I release my grip on sin and actively fling it away from me. I expose it to God's light where I can see it as it truly is. When I acknowledge my sin but don't want to change, I am making myself a god. Although I often want to hold on to my sin, as I mature I begin to see that the closer I am to God, the more I WANT to expose my sin to His light and let him forgive and cleanse me.

I think God's forgiveness is an immediate discrete act, while his cleansing is an ongoing process of shining his light further into the corners of my heart and exposing the hidden pockets of sin.

Q3

Confession is an admission of ones guilt.

The confession of our sins are so important because without confession we will accept sin as right or ok. Thos confession is so vital to our christian health to allow us to continue to grow and have a healthy relationship with Jesus Christ and our fellow man.

If We stop confessing our sins, then our spiritual health becomes sick and we begin to walk in darkness again.

The difference in forgiveness ofn sin and cleansing of sin in my opinion is fo forgive is to receive a full pardon and to be cleansed of sin is acomplished by the blood of Jesus Christ when we repent or our sins.

Confession in the Bible is what we do when we agree with God about how rotten and dirty our sins are that we do and those within us (as totally depraved, sinful people) so if we confess our sins to God, He will give us His holiness instead of the guilt we have when we don

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"?

- Telling God that we have done wrong according to His standard and that we do not want to go that way again

- Agreeing with Him that it is not the true character of God's children, not like Jesus, our perfect example/role model of how a child of God ought to be

- Admitting to the person one has wronged and ask for forgiveness

- Encourage other bros & sis with what one has learned so that they could be helped

Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins?

- Without confession to God, there will be no true repentance, forgiveness, release from our own guilt and healing from God

- Without confession of sins, we can get use to sinning and live on with an unsaved life.

What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

- Confession leads to forgiveness from God so that we could start anew as if we have never sinned and there is no guilt in us to accuse us so our relationship with a holy God is unaffected

- Cleansing is God's way of removing the sinful character in us so that we are more like Christ

I define

Since sin is not just the sinful deeds we do but the nature of our being confession would mean acknowledging our sinful condition. When we acknowledge our sinful nature we begin to bring the dark areas of our life into the light. When we acknowledge we experience the forgiveness i.e., the acceptance of us by God and the comfort and guidance in the overcoming of the guilt we carry. We are enabled to look at the world not from the previous sinful perspective but as unworthy vessels made worthy to be used as His tool of Love.

I would define confession as an open and public acknowledgment of wrongdoing and/or sins. Confessing our sins is important because it sets us free from the bondage of sin and deception. When we stop confessing our sins we become bound to that sin which is holding us captive. The promises that are given when we confess our sins is twofold: (1) He will forgive our sins (to release us completely from our sins); (2) He will purify us from all unrighteousness (to make or declare clean). Forgiveness of sins is our relationship with the Father - whereas cleansing concerns our character.

Confession is knowing down deep in your heart that something that you did was wrong. In order to feel cleansed inside, we need to confess any wrong doing. Without confessing our sins to God we can not be forgivien. If we stop confessing our sins then the death of Christ was for nothing. A sacrafice needed to be made when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, so instead of killing one of them an animal had to be the one who had to pay the price. That's why in the bible it talks about unclean and clean animals. Christ's blood had to be shed because He was without sin. If it wasn't for His death, could you image where the world would be like today, still looking for that Messiah.

"Confession" is often used in our society as a form of entertainment: Conffessions of a Shopaholic, Taxi Cab Confessions, Celebrity X Confesses All, ect. ect. In one sense of the way the media has gotten this right. The star of the show bears all his or her wrong doings, usually in hope for a better life with a willingness to change his or her ways. Unfortunately, the media and the tabloids lack the grace and forgiveness that Christians recieve from God.

Confessing our sins becomes incredibly important for a number of reasons. Simply from a mental health perspective, it provides an outlet for intense feelings of guilt and self-deprication. I believe that God wants us to love ourselves. Otherwise the law that Jesus taught us, "Love others as you love yourself," wouldn't go over very well. It's hard to love oneself when you can't stand to think about the sins that you have commited against God and man.

Once we stop confessing our sins our relationship with God starts to unravel, even if very slowly. Have you ever kept a secret from your best friend or your spouse? Sometimes that secret can make you want to burst out and just get it off your chest, but fear of rejection or simple misunderstanding can cause us to keep quiet. But sometimes not discussing those little things can be easily avoided until a great pile of little things are swept under a rug that is now difficult to walk over. In both instances, you are distancing yourself from God and his will for you, to be in a deep and intimate relationship. God loves you. Again, God LOVES you! He knows that we are going to fail, just as we know that our children are not perfect and lovingly and whole-heartidly accept them when they eat a cookie when they aren't supposed to, or forget to make their bed. God wants to be near us, it hurts us to damage that line of open communication.

How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

Confession of our sins (admitting we messed up yet again) opens the door for God to sweep out the mess. If we don't confess, we're not opening that door, and the mess piles up, higher and higher until the light is covered and darkness settles in.

If we DO confess our sins, Father will come in and clean house, forgiving us for making the mess. Cleansing begins with forgiveness...the forgiveness starts when we open the door and ASK for it; cleansing begins when He comes in to take care of it!

Confession is agreeing with and making a statement of what is actually true. Confessing sin is so important because if we do not confess, we are hiding - and suffering - in lies. We continue on in unrighteousness, missing the defining character of God's holiness in us. Our hearts grow cold and hardened toward God and each other. And we become miserable, calloused, joyless.

If we do listen to the truth of God's Word applied by the Holy Spirit's work of conviction and confess our sins, the LORD has promised to forgive the transgression. The slate is wiped clean again and the just penalty is forgiven. And He promises to make us clean, using the experience to develop more of the pure character of Christ in us as the unclean is purged and put to death.

Forgiveness isn't the same as cleansing. Even when I forgive someone's transgression against me, I am powerless to transform that person's heart. But God can do just exactly that! He doesn't just excuse and pardon the unrighteousness. As the wicked and vile is put to death by confession and washed away, the heart is made more alive in God's holiness and glory. Not just freedom from the penalty, but greater freedom from the sin!