JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. God's Seed and Habitual Sin

'whoever abides in him does not sin.whoever sins has niether seen him,nor know him.this verse contrast the true believer with one who has never been born again?it defentily be said of the true believer that he does not go on sinning.john is not hear speaking about isolated acts of sin,but rather continued,habitual,characterize,behavior.the question naturally arises,'when does sin become habitual?john does answer this,rather he puts eac believer on guard,and leave the burden of proof on the christian himself.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The presence of God's seed is by His Holy Spirit who lives in us. He directs and guides us as we abide in Him, so that though we may be tempted to sin, helps us to recognize sin and avoid sin. If we go our own way, He is there to convict us and through repentance, receive us back, forgiven through Jesus, and encouraged to go on.

We are sanctified through this very process. Once we acknowledge our sin, we are freed from those sins and eventually have victory over them. This can be a hard won battle, but the battle belongs to Him who is in us and he wins every time! Even in habitual, long standing addictive sins! So take heart, have faith and turn to the one who loves you and died for you to cleanse every sin! Nothing is impossible for God!

Q4. (1 John 3:6, 9) How does the presence of God's seed in us keep us from habitual lawlessness and sin? How does the Holy Spirit sanctify us and make us like Jesus?

When you are baptized and 'born again,' you now have access to the Holy Spirit who convicts us of habitual sin. We are able to be aware of sin and make a conscious decision if we are going to turn away or not. We now have 'no excuse' to keep on sinning.

Q4 When John used the word 'seed' he probably meant a special bread of genetic character,

a species of divine nature, an imperishable generation of God's children, specially

handled by the Holy Spirit. John told us that God's Spirit who is within us is

working to cleanse our character from sin. Being born of God and with the help of the

Holy Spirit, we as imitators of Christ should strive to live righteous life avoiding

areas that can lead us to sin. If we have the Holy Spirit who is so powerful and

divine to direct and guide us then we can be convinced that as God's children we want

to lead life pleasing to our Father.

Relying on the Holy Spirit for strength, guidance and help, we can overcome any

obstacles; problems or trials that can lead us to sin.

Q4. (1 John 3:6, 9) How does the presence of God's seed in us keep us from habitual lawlessness and sin? How does the Holy Spirit sanctify us and make us like Jesus?

1Jn 3:6 and people who stay one in their hearts with him won't keep on sinning. If they do keep on sinning, they don't know Christ, and they have never seen him.

1Jn 3:7 Children, don't be fooled. Anyone who does right is good, just like Christ himself.

1Jn 3:8 Anyone who keeps on sinning belongs to the devil. He has sinned from the beginning, but the Son of God came to destroy all that he has done.

1Jn 3:9 God's children cannot keep on being sinful. His life-giving power lives in them and makes them his children, so that they cannot keep on sinning.

The presence of God's seed in many ways helps to prevent us from lawlwssness and sin. To begin with it gives us a hunger to be more Christ like. Also when sin is present in our lives it gives the conviction of the wrongness of the sin. No longer are we slave to sin but we are slaves to the Holy Spirit. With Him we have the strengh to walk away from these sins which have plagued our lives. The Holy Spirit is strong and is in direct opposition of the devil therefore we can now live pure and sinless lives.

When we become children of God through the new birth we are given a new nature to replace the sin nature. This seed if it is fed and watered will grow us into mature and well grounded in the faith Christians. If it is not taken care of and it's nature to grow in the knowledge of the Lord will be snuffed out we will be shallow without any growing in the Lord. The Holy Spirit works to sanctify us and help us to grow in the Lord, to comform to His image which is contray to the image presented to us daily by the world. The Holy Sprit in us is an everpresent reminder of what our priorities should be, growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. He rains on our parade so to speak when we decide to put off our Bible reading and prayer life for more worldly "fun things". He is extrememly interested in our growth as Christians and keeping a clean house (righteous living).

I love the Bible verse in Philippians 1:6 He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.

It amazes me the checks and balances God puts in His own who love Him, knowing that the propensity to sin is a powerful part of us that will not lay down silently and give up.

I am here tonight after some more days of chronic sinus headaches when I am tired and want to sleep, to learn more about Jesus. That can only be the Holy Spirit nudging me to prevail in my learning and growth in the Faith.

God Bless you all!!

May you all grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ and may He present us faultless before the presence of His glory with excedding joy.

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

If we are truly born again we will feel the presence of God's seed in us. Whenever we do anything wrong or not pleasing to God our Spirit will convice us. We will feel bad about this thing, it will hurt us, we will feel unclean. The Holy Spirit will help us to make the right decision at all time. We must listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit and to whatever it is that we are to do to stay in the presence of God. Our life is directed by the Spirit of God, if we only will take the time to spend time in his word, pray and be honest about the things that we are doing are not doing in the present of God.

I really can't add anything to what pickledilly said on 25 October, which I think sums it up perfectly. So this time I will take the lazy option and quote what pickledilly said:_

I'm thinking of the presence of the Holy Spirit like an alarm system. He senses intrusion and dangers that went undetected prior to "installation". And when threats to the indwelling holy nature of God are discerned, He is the alarm that begins to command attention and urge action.

***BEWARE!***REDIRECT!***DANGER!***RETHINK!***INTRUDER!***WARNING!***STOP!***

SUBMIT to God so you can RESIST the devil, who will tuck-tail and flee
(James 4:7).

RUN from anything that usurps God's place in your heart.
(1 Corinthians 10:14).

LIFT YOUR SHIELD OF FAITH to protect against the darts of fear
(Ephesians 6:16).

WIELD THE SWORD OF TRUTH to deflect the lies of the enemy
(Ephesians 6:17).

PRAY at all times with joy and gratitude in order to stand against temptation
(Matthew 26:41; Philippians 4:4-6).

The Holy Spirit will be on guard to give new sensitivity and recognition of sin. He calls attention to the need for action against it and shows us how to overcome through His Word.

Often, our problem is that we're not used to all that alarm over things we used to tolerate or do before without concern. Or we're so entrenched in habit that we're unwilling to listen. Or maybe we still like that previously enjoyable unholy thing. But it won't be the same now as a Christian. If the seed of truth and holiness truly dwells within, a person will become more and more uncomfortable in things of the old nature as the spiritual alarm is sounded and sin's peril is recognized. Then as we listen and obey the Spirit's convicting and prompting, more of God's holiness takes root and the weeds of our old nature have less appeal. An old saying is "we'll never be sinless, but we will sin less". Our desires will change and we will increasingly want to battle personal sin. When the weeds are starved and dug up by the roots one by one, each will eventually die. This process of the Spirit's work in a believer to reveal sin and put it to death in order to grow the righteous character of Christ is sanctification.

THE PRESENCE OF GOD'S SEED IN ME KEEPS ME FROM SIN AND LAWLESSNESS BECAUSE HE HELPS ME TO RECOGNISE SIN AND ITS PERILS.ONE AREA I STILL STRUGGLE WITH IS SPEAKING THE RIGHT WORDS AND NOT SPEAKING NEGATIVELY ABOUT OTHERS.I DONT FEEL COMFORTABLE ABOUT BEING CRITICAL OF OTHERS ANY MORE.I LOVE THE ANSWER POSTED BY PAUL H. IT HELPED ME A LOT.THE HOLY SPIRIT MAKE US LIKE JESUS BY SHOWING US HOW TO LIVE RIGHT, REPENT, WALK THE WALK, NOT JUST TALK THE TALK.

There is a difference between committing a sin and continuing to sin. Even the most faithful believers sometimes commit sins, but they do not cherish a particular sin and choose to commit it. A believer who commits a sin repents, confesses, and finds forgiveness. A person who continues to sin, by contrast, is not sorry for what he or she is doing. Thus, this person never confesses and never receives forgiveness. Such a person is in opposition to God, no matter what religious claims he or she makes.

The Holy Spirit convicts us of all unrighteousness, because we are children and lovers of God, enabling us to die to our weaknesses and sin.

Repentance brings refreshing, meaning sanctification and draws us closer to Jesus, and helps us to walk righteously with His fragrance upon us.

The presence of God's seed in us keeps us from habitual lawlessness, as when we are about to do something not pleasing to God the Holy Spirit speaks to us in warnings or promptings from within.

The work of the Holy Spirit is to Glorify the Father and Jesus and to turn us towards God and his ways and away from the pull of our fleshly nature.

Sanctification is an ongoing work by the Holy Spirit and will continue throughout our life.

I know that Jesus is in me-I know that He sees and hears everything I do. This causes me to want to be aware of what is going on around me. I know that I fail, but I know that He hears my confession, and He forgives me. The Holy Spirit convicts me of sin, and teaches me the right way to go. He shows me the error of my way. This, in turn, brings sanctification. It is wonderful to know that God is pruning us and trimming us! It reminds me of my Dad's garden. Every summer, my parents would put out a garden full of vegee's. These vegees would have to be watered and weeded every week. It was hard work, but we knew that when the harvest came, we would have Mom's delicious vegee soup, and other good things to eat all winter! It's the same with the Holy Spirit! We are His garden, and He is watering and weeding us, until the harvest. Then, we will be harvested, and taken to Heaven to be with Him forever! I can hardly wait!

The world's (Satan's) programs can seem so alluring. We need God's power to be an overcomer in life. The Holy Spirit is God in us - directing and guiding us into His ways of Holiness (IF we will listen!) He speaks into our mind telling us what is OK and not OK. God the Holy Spirit sets us apart for His purposes (Sanctifies) though His guidance and control over our lives as we yield to HIM... making us more and more like our Master.

Blessings - kiwidenis

I must say I didn't understand this explaination. God's seed or spirit is within us which keeps us from habitual sin yet the Spirit gives us a pressure to correct any sin comitted because in this way we become more like Jesus.

God's seed/ Holy Spirit is a spiritual friend that tells you the error in your ways. He's there all the time, never leaving the temple unless we reject Him. He gives us perfect peace and understanding of habitual lawlessness and sin which has no place in our lives.

Holy Spirit santify us by allowing us to repent. We are not pure like Jesus but we must continue to live as holy as possible.

Patricia

God's seed -- The Holy Spirit -- presence in the believer keeps the believer from habitual sin by being in conflict with the old nature. The Holy Spirit puts pressure on the old sin nature to go away, thus keeping the old sin nature from having sway over the believer.

The Holy Spirit within us motivates us and convicts us to be holy and to live righteously taking on the Mind of Christ.

God's seed in us keeps us from habitual lawlessness and sin by giving us a conscious that says,"No, this is wrong and I can not do that anymore". The seed in us also makes us want to be obedient to His laws.

The Holy Spirit changes us from the old guy to the new person that wants to be like Jesus

We know that GOD hates sin. When we sin our guilt pushes us to hide from GOD. we need to renew ou relationship with GOD troug JESUS CHRIST to be able to enjoy the presence of GOD.

As long as the HOLY SPIRIT lives in us, HE will always convict us of the wrongs we do and help us to repent. HOLY SPIRIRT will help us to grow in faith and trust in GOD. He will build us into strong pillars to with stand the temptation to sin. AMEN.

How does the presence of God's seed in us keep us from habitual lawlessness and sin?

God's Seed cannot thrive in a sinful atmosphere. God's Seed will repel and progressedly clean up lawlessness and hinder sin. Sin and His Seed are opposing forces that are mentioned in the beginning of the Bible. Gen. 3:15

How does the Holy Spirit sanctify us and make us like Jesus?

Once salvation has been established, the Holy Spirit begins to shed light on the dark places in our hearts and minds. He exposes our lawlessness and the motivation of our hearts. This begins a process of sanctification, which separates us from the world and the world's kingdom and guides us into God's ways and God's Kingdom (repentance). During our lifetime, we are in a constant process of change, which gradually molds us and shapes us into the image of Jesus Christ.

Q4. (1 John 3:6, 9) How does the presence of God's seed in us keep us from habitual lawlessness and sin?

The Holy Spirit turns on the God conscience and bit by bit illuminates the sins that we are able to deal with and stops us. some take longer than others to die, but I find the Holy Spirit never gives me more than I can handle.

How does the Holy Spirit sanctify us and make us like Jesus?

He shows us the futility of the sin, that it leads to spiritual death and self destruction. We need to find dignity as God's representatives. He builds us up and encourages us to embrace change to make us grow.