JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Love for the Brothers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"?

We can do this by putting our brothers and sisters first, before our own needs or wants. When we lay down our lives, we are laying aside all that is considered significant to us so that we are able to get beyond ourselves and shift our attention and care to others. It does not mean becoming a doormat for others, but keeping a proper balance in our treatment and attentiveness to others and their needs. Forcing ourselves to become interested in our fellow parishioners.

What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community?

Devoting time and energy and even money to help establish the church you are attending as a member. Giving up your front row seat to a visitor. Treating your brothers and sisters with a kind word and a smile and even a kind touch. Giving to a brother or sister that you know is in need. Striving to have a relationship (and not just an acquaintance) with other church members and church visitors.

If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

The church I attend is still relatively small. About 70-80 members. But, we have close to 15-20 life groups. These groups vary in interests and they get together once a week or every two weeks or once a month to engage in a common interest. They are Bible-studies with personal interests interacted. They range in interests for either men or women and then both men and women. Within these groups we get better acquainted with each other. These life groups continue to grow as our church grows and is a wonderful way to stay united and related to others within our church arena.

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community? If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

To "lay down my life for my brother" means to give up what I want to do, what my flesh desires, what I have planned, etc. to sacrifice that and go to my brother and do what the Lord wants me to do. Some examples of this kind of love in action are to remember that ministry is not finishing what I do, or doing what I had planned, or doing a good job, but instead to turn from what I am doing and to concentrate on people, who are God's priority. I am in a large congregation and being new there I have to always remember that ministry is about PEOPLE and not doing....so I am available as the Lord leads to do what He wants me to do and be with the people he wants me to be with.

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community? If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

To the extreme, there may be situations where one has to literally sacrifice their life to save their friends, family, or fellow believers in Christ, which shows the kind of love being talked about here and by Jesus. However, it can also mean to make sacrifices in one's life to provide for the needs of someone else, in material and other ways; I was adopted by my paternal grandmother, and one way of looking at it is that she sacrificed her time and resources for my well-being. That's love, and sacrifice!Within the Christian community, to provide for those brothers and sisters less fortunate than yourself, out of your own need would be a sacrificial love. In a larger church, introducing yourself to other members and getting involved in their lives outside of church services can be a means of forming a loving relationship where you can look out for their needs and they for yours.

John explains what it means to "lay down your life for your brothers" in this verse, "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." (1 John 3:17-18).

Some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community is in providing food, clothing and shelter for the underprivileged.

In a large congregation, we get to know other members so that you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you by becoming involved in small groups.

• 4 weeks later...

Lay down means to carry our brother and sister's burdens.by throwing out a life line to bring them from the dark places. Too many times we tell hurting people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, when they need a helping hand. It is impossible to bring someone to Christ ignoring their immediate needs. Once we address their immediate needs, help can begin. Those who have no place to lay their head are not receptive. Those who are hungry or without clothes aren't ready for exhortation. We must supply their immediate needs: these nedds ARE OVERWHELMINGLY more dire than anything else to them. Food pantries, clothing drives, or living arrangements are examples of this kind of love.

In large or small congregations parishoneers must make a concerted effort to touch the lives of others. Identify different ministries that can attract the membership to come together and establish relationships.

It means that we will sacrifice ourselves for our brothers in a way that gives them a part of what we have, such as, money or anything that can help them in their needs

What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community?

We give our money or something in other forms, such as clothes, foods, to those who is in need

If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

In a large congregation it is difficult for me to know other members. Not knowing other member make us not be able to lay down my life for them, and for them to know me, so they will able to lay down their life for me.

Laying down one's life for our brother is more than the act of sacrifice of life, it is giving of ones self.

If we see need and turn our head, then we do not lay down our life. If we just give lip service without giving from our heart, it is not truly laying down.

We have to live a more open life, not be so afraid.

• 1 month later...

(1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community? If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

If you see your brother needs something and you have it, you should give it.

If someone comes to you and is hungry, don't just pray for them and send them on their way, help do something about it.

Talk with then in genuine conversation. Get to know them so that you can grow to genuinely love them.

• 3 months later...

Love is sacrifice, or it is not true. Giving to the other what they need, not expecting anything in return. Seeing the need and responding. It is not necessary to 'die' for a friend like Jesus did, but to "die to Jesus" allows us to give/love more deeply.

When we understand where the other person/s are, if we 'love well' we will give what we can and not expect anything in return. We have eyes and ears, we can see what is going on for them. When we can give more, our heart is stretched by God to be more living, to be more of a servant to our brothers. Let us learn from the Holy Spirit how to open up and love more, to love better. We can always grow more in this way.

• 9 months later...

1. Rather than physically dying, I think it means to die to self and spend your life as Jesus did, serving, helping, teaching and providing for others. This is

so hard to do in this day and time as we are so busy with our families, our jobs, and even our churches, that we fall by the wayside.

2. Local food banks, soup kitchens, church teachers and workers, hospital and nursing home volunteers, having a fund at your church to help people in need. Supporting our missionaries.

3. I'm in a small church, but have found that getting involved with Sunday school, choir, study groups, youth ministries, vacation Bible school etc., will help

you meet and enjoy other people.

• 4 months later...

Answer:

1. What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"?

To help other,above all

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

To lay down one’s life for their brothers means to show love and compassion for others especially if they are in need. An example would be feeding the hungry or donating clothes and other items to those who have such needs without looking for anything in return. It would make sense to spend time with people so one could get to know them (each other) and their needs. People can be broken down into groups (by birth months for example) with a leader over the group (and team leaders under the leader depending on the size) who can make routine calls to the members to pray with them and see if they have needs that the church can assist with. Even still, we must make our needs known so that we can receive the love and compassion required to meet our needs.

• 11 months later...

Our Lord Jesus gave us the ultimate example of love when He laid down His life for us. Jesus gives us love in its highest expression. In one sense,

love is invisible, but we can see the manifestation of love. In the cross of Calvary we see the love that is love indeed. John draws the lesson from this that we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. This means that our lives should be a continual giving-out on behalf of other believers, and that we should be ready to die for them also if necessary. Most of us will never be required to die on behalf of others, but every one of us can manifest brotherly love by sharing our material things with those in need. That is what is emphasized in verse 17.

Our love for God and others should not be a matter of affectionate terms only, neither should it be an expression of what is not true. But is should be manifested in actual deeds of kindness and should be genuine instead of false.

The bottom line is to love your neighbor as yourself and do unto others as you would want them to do unto you.

Regardless of the congregation size, believers must make a point of creating relationships with others in order to live out their faith.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"?

In a literal sense, it could mean to take a bullet for your brothers. In a practical sense it could mean to give of your own means to those who don't have enough. In our culture we're hardly likely to have to step in front of the gun to save a fellow believer, but there are still plenty of ways to help the unfortunate. As Pastor Ralph says though, the world is full of scammers who'll take full advantge of that.

When one guy from our church was made redundant from his job with very little notice, the whole church body rallied and he was offered another job within two weeks. Unfortunately they didn't do that in my case, but that's another story.

It is beneficial to join or to form smaller cell groups or home fellowship groups. That way you're in a small circle of friends whom you can get to know well while still being a part of the larger church assembly.

• 8 months later...

To “lay down you life for your brothers” is to know them and be will to do most anything for them. We here about people lay down their lives for others especially in the military. But it also true for the people that lay down their lives for somebody in a car accident.

I am not in a large congregation but I think that the best way to get to know of few of the people in the congregation is to join the small groups and pray and play together.

• 1 month later...

3a)To give of our selves for others,showing sacrificial love &compassion for our neighbour,friends etc in how we live our lives, with acts of genuine kindness when they are hurting or in other times of need,putting their needs before own,going out of our way to help them without expecting any benefit in return.Acts 2:42-47

b)Examples  could be providing practical help at no cost,being a listener to allow another to off load&praying with them;sending encouragement cards with bible verses in times of need,giving emotional,financial support&spiritual encouragement.

c)Variety of ways to get to know people in larger fellowships -small groups where deeper relationships formed,mutual sharing &supporting.Welcome teas &newcomer dinners great for new people to meet others &developing trust where in time needs shared& people helped by church family. 

3a)To give of our selves for others,showing sacrificial love &compassion for our neighbour,friends etc in how we live our lives, with acts of genuine kindness when they are hurting or in other times of need,putting their needs before own,going out of our way to help them without expecting any benefit in return.Acts 2:42-47

b)Examples  could be providing practical help at no cost,being a listener to allow another to off load&praying with them;sending encouragement cards with bible verses in times of need,giving emotional,financial support&spiritual encouragement.

c)Variety of ways to get to know people in larger fellowships -small groups where deeper relationships formed,mutual sharing &supporting.Welcome teas &newcomer dinners great for new people to meet others &developing trust where in time needs shared& people helped by church family. 

• 2 years later...

What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community? If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

Putting aside your own interests and desires and needs for the sake of others'.  Pastors give up sleep to go be with a grieving family.  Families give up hard-earned money for charity and missions.  My son goes out of his way to talk to and help homeless people, potentially putting himself in dicey situations.   People in a church reach out with food and expressions of care to a family in crisis.  I am in a small congregation by choice.

• 9 months later...

Reading this lesson this goes deeper than I had anticipated. When I see verses that talk about Jesus laying down His life for us, He meant literally. Images of “jumping on the grenade” as so many brave servicemen have done to save the lives of those with him, or other selfless acts was always the first thing to come to mind, but, after reading this I see it also includes charitable acts. While, in the true essence of the word it would be charity, I always drew some kind of a line between life and material goods.

Maybe things like taking collections of used (but still good) clothing for people in an impoverished country or even in our own country after a natural catastrophe, or some other circumstances that could bring up the occasion for needs by those who have either lost it all or perhaps never had anything to begin with.

Getting to know people in large congregations could be as easy as joining a Bible study group, or volunteering for programs/events. Hopefully just by talking to people one could find somebody in need of something you have and take it from there. One usually finds they have more to offer than what their needs are.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) 
If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them - and they for you?

This means that our lives should be focused on the needs of our fellow Christians. We should demonstrate our brotherly love by sharing our money, possessions, and time with those in need. John distinctly says that there is no love in us if we see a believer in need and we do not respond in love by satisfying that need. Of course, this does not justify indiscriminate giving to everyone, because it is possible to harm a person by giving them money with which they can buy harmful items – such as alcohol or drugs. We are to serve others with no thought of receiving anything in return.
However, the verse does raise very disturbing questions concerning the accumulation of wealth by Christians. We should not love only in word, but rather in deed and in truth – and this should then be manifested in actual deeds of kindness and should be genuine instead of false. 
In a large congregation it might not be necessary for me to know the members who need help personally. We create various care ministries that are there to see to the various needs of our brothers and sisters. I can then partake in these various ministries catering for their needs – this is also done so as not to cause any discomfort to those applying for help. However, I know that If needed I will get personally involved.  

• 1 month later...

Q. What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"?

A. It means to love up to the extend that we are will reach out to a need even at cost, materially and or physically even to the point of death.

A. What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community?

A. Seeing a brother/ sister in need and reaching out in love to meet the need without looking back.

Q. If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

A. In some churches like ours, occasionally, awareness is made about the needy in the church especially widows and the fatherless etc and a call is made for members to contribute to their welfare. This creates an opportunity for members to assist.

One can also look out for an opportunity to help such needy members that are known 

Q. What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"?

A. It means to love up to the extend that we are will reach out to a need even at cost, materially and or physically even to the point of death.

A. What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community?

A. Seeing a brother/ sister in need and reaching out in love to meet the need without looking back.

Q. If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

A. In some churches like ours, occasionally, awareness is made about the needy in the church especially widows and the fatherless etc and a call is made for members to contribute to their welfare. This creates an opportunity for members to assist.

One can also look out for an opportunity to help such needy members that are known 

• 3 years later...

Laying down your life for your brother is sacrificial and unconditional. That is giving your all, your time, your space, your stuff, your money, your caring, to your brother. It also means loving them not as yourself but more than yourself. That is big.

Examples would be in all the help that we give fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, the attitude of caring , giving, supporting, and service to the church and fellow members. I have encountered pastors in several churches in our town that are well educated in other professional areas, but gave it all up to preach and sacrifice all their time to the flock. Giving up their lives as such. I know I can call any one of them at any time and I will be helped or supported without any hesitation in whatever situation. How good is that.

In large congregations it is best to join small home study groups, and grow your friendships like this. Here you get to know people and their needs and it is easier to get involved and assist others , whether it is pure encouragement, or  physical help with other things, and show your true love by putting it in to action.