JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Love for the Brothers

Love is a lifestyle. Daily we should seek ways to put others before ourselves, from little things like giving up a parking spot or waking up early to make breakfast for our household, or neighbors to bigger things like giving our time, talents and materials in order to make a difference. I have a special place in my heart for people in poverty. Mother Teresa's words on poverty rocked my sense of who I am called to minister to. She defines poverty as:

"The hungry and the lonely, not only for food but for the Word of God; the thirsty and the ignorant, not only for water but also for knowledge, peace, truth, justice and love; the naked and the unloved, not only for clothes but also for human dignity; the unwanted, the unborn child; the racially discriminated against; the homeless and abandoned, not only for shelter made of bricks, but for a heart that understands, that covers, that loves; the sick, the dying

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love is a lifestyle. Daily we should seek ways to put others before ourselves, from little things like giving up a parking spot or waking up early to make breakfast for our household, or neighbors to bigger things like giving our time, talents and materials in order to make a difference. I have a special place in my heart for people in poverty. Mother Teresa's words on poverty rocked my sense of who I am called to minister to. She defines poverty as:

"The hungry and the lonely, not only for food but for the Word of God; the thirsty and the ignorant, not only for water but also for knowledge, peace, truth, justice and love; the naked and the unloved, not only for clothes but also for human dignity; the unwanted, the unborn child; the racially discriminated against; the homeless and abandoned, not only for shelter made of bricks, but for a heart that understands, that covers, that loves; the sick, the dying destitute and the captives not only in body but also in mind and spirit; all those who have lost all hope and faith in life, the alcoholics and drug addicts and all those who have lost God and who have lost all hope in the power of the Spirit."

My idea of who I am called to serve just got much much larger. I can find someone in need of love in everyone I meet, in every eyes I peer in to. I'm not part of a large church but I would try to get as involved as possible, showing God's love in every opportunity. Like Mother Teresa says "We can not all do great things, but we can all do small things with great love."

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"?

Jesus is the ultimate example...a sinless, perfect life sacrificed to save sinners from hell.

My family has received this kind of sacrifial love from the body of Christ....when we would have been homeless after the loss of our business then our home, many friends helped us move, one couple stored our furniture, took us into their home, and later, a couple, who were baby Christians invited us into their home via a phone call before they'd met us, then housed us and our dog for a year and a half. Others provided for car repairs, money, theater tickets, lunches out, dinners out, scholarships to retreats, a Christian Doctor who provided medical care pro bono, a dentist who provided dental care pro bono,and on and on, too many to mention here, but all gifts of love.

It means sacrificing in order to meet the needs of those who are suffering or unable to meet their own needs. The most visible is those in our precious military who are willing to lay down their lives for our freedom....and though many don't actually die, they lay down their own freedom to be with their families and to live their lives, in order to serve us in extreme danger and inhospitable places....amazing love!

What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community?

Our church just rented a large warehouse near the church, to be used as an outreach center for the community. It is stocked with commercial freezers filled with meat, refrigerators with milk, vegetables, fruit, etc. There are diapers, baby supplies, mostly new clothing, school supplies for those who have need for those things in these tough times.

If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

Get involved in small groups to get to know and love one another, to pray for each other, to serve in whatever way is needed.

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community? If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

Laying down you life for your friend means that you are willing to share what you have with those who don't have as much. Some churches do food and clothes drives (none I know, unfortunately) and then distribute as needed in the congregation. Others have community food and clothing drives, so that the needy can come and get things for the family.

We can invite people to supper, or have some sort of dinner at church and get together that way. Getting to know each other better is very important for the congregation-cliques are not good! Jesus wants to see love-love for all!

"Laying Down our Life" means loving our brothers and sisters so much that we would help them first before ourselves placing others first, helping anyone in need.

In a large congregation, we must attend Bible Studies and Sunday School, etc. so we can get to know one another through small group meetings.

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community? If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

I have read many good examples given of people who have done what was needed when opportunity presented itself. I think sometimes we start out just doing the daily life challenges and opportunities that come to us not knowing the influences we make with the giving of ourselves.

Matthew Henry says our love "must be so fervent as to make us willing to suffer even to death for the safety and salvatin of the dear brothers". "Those who have this world's good must love a good God more, and be ready to distribute it for their sakes. This love for the brothers is love for God in them; and where there is none of this love for them there is no true love for God at all.

To be honest this makes me look at myself and wonder where I am at in my Christian walk. Am I what God wants me to be. I have tried to be the good ambassador for our Lord whereever I am planted but I always see so much room for work.

I have some examples of others who gave of their lives for others. Of course Jesus is the perfect example. He laid down His kingly crown to be down here in this dark place for us. Are we grateful enough.

How about the prophets who were killed for their witness for the God, for their obedience and unwillingness to compromise. Compare them to the kings living in their rich opulence.

Or how about Raoul Wallenberg, David Brainerd, John and Betty Stam, the list goes on. One group I thought of were the signers of the Declaration of Independence. They pledged their lives and fortunes and I think in all cases it was required of them. I don't think there were any regrets among them. They just did what came their way. Not many do.

I pray we all rise to what is required of us by the grace and strength of our Lord and Savior. Little acts of kindness can mean mountains for God.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers6:24-26

To lay down your life for your brothers` means giving up some of your time,and your possessions.To help the widows and orphans and all else who are in need. It could be food or meals put on, time shared with them, a listening ear, and prayer time. A few good ways to get to know others from the congregation are: having meals at the church, even better having meals at families homes, small groups, calling one another to check on them to see how they are, offering rides and assistance to those who need it. B)

Q3 To 'lay down your life for your brothers' is a great calling and command from God.

For the circular world when called upon, one will commit and respond only for their

immediate family and sometimes it will take some coaxing before one would really put

their heart into it. When answering to God's call and follow in His example we

need a lot of sacrifices and compassion. This is only possible if one is personally

and truly immersed in God's love and experience His touch in one's life. Unless

one is really transformed in Jesus' image and born again in His Spirit that one is

willing to submit to His will for us.

In Jesus' teaching on the judgment (Matthew 25:35-40), we are told to reach out to

one another in love. When we see our brothers and sisters who are materially poor,

we need to reach out to them otherwise we have failed our God and Jesus' teaching

has gone in vain. God said: "it is more blessed to give than to receive." (Acts

20:35)and also in Luke 6:38, we are asked to give and it will be given to us in good

measure. God is always quick in blessing us in return.

God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten son to be the sacrificial

lamb and to die on the cross for our sin. If we say we have fellowship with Jesus

then we need also to have fellowship with our fellowmen. Through this fellowship

we can then come to learn of one another needs and situations and be able to reach

out in actions and in love without conditions.

To lay down our lives down for anyone else, means sacrificial giving. It's giving beyond what we think we are able to do, trusting God to supply us with what we need to meet the other person's need. Sometimes this is a means of dying to ourselves, because we have to confront our own selfishness in areas we struggle in. We come to rely more on the Holy Spirit to lead and guide also and to live in us and through us for others. Ever walked away from a situation and you just KNEW you could never have acted as you did or served in such a way in and of yourself? More of God, less of ourselves creates the ability to give in a way that we can lay down our lives sacrificially.

How is that demonstrated? The question was on Christian community and I'm not sure what the whole meaning is on that. I do believe larger churches do need small groups to grow more intimate relationships and through love for one another, serve each other and meet needs. But, I think there is a danger of growing too inclusive in that also. There is so much need outside the church among the lost. I believe that laying one's life down is needed in those areas. There are people who have no hope in this world, that need Jesus. There are the destitute and those in slavery to sin who cry for freedom and yet have no idea where the freedom will come from. There are poor and downtrodden and those crying for just a small piece of love and they won't come to our churches, either because of shame or hurt or darkness. I believe we are to go out and lay our lives down for these. A man may lay down his life for a good man, but who will lay down his life for the lost? That's what Jesus did for us. Small groups are wonderful and I love my brothers and sisters in mine and hope to meet their needs in any way I can, but as a group we can go out also and meet even a greater need for someone who has no one.

Thanks Lionbait for the song! I received that same one from another source just this month and it reminded me (again) of how much He loves us and how much we have to pour out to others!

Christ laid down his life for me. Knowing your individual church friends helps us to lay down or defend them against their foe. Keep going and meet others.

[*]What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community?Jesus calls us to set aside our lives and our desires to serve our brothers. Missionaries represent the sacrificial giving that we are called to do. Leaving the comfort of their former lives, missionaries risk disease, expose themselves to physical discomfort, and leave behind their extended families, to live a selfless existence bringing the Gospel message to those in need of its saving grace.

[*]If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them

When we lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters we put aside our own agenda to spend time helping them.

There are a number of ways we can do this ,by spending time praying for them, helping them out with food if needed

and giving them your time and often a listening ear.

I have found home fellowships to be a good way to get to know people,as you develop a level of trust and are then able to share the deeper things of your life ,

The Christian life was never meant to be lived in isolation but within a group of like minded believers.

To lay do you life for your brothers is to Love them like Christ loved us. If we know that someone in our community is in need of anything we should not send them away but offer our best that Christ through the spirit told us. We must learn to reach out more to people and stop being selfish as if we are so great and nothing seem to concern our spirit to care for others forgetting that the things that we have was only because of Christ. God gave and he can sure take it away if that is how we must learn to sure our pure love of Christ and the people that is in our path so that we can continue to do the work for our purpose her on this side. It is real love to lay down to give what God told you to give, to help when God place you in a place to help and to Always love no matter what.

By serving others with no thought of receiving anything in return. Sometimes it is easier to say we

1Jn 3:16 This is how we know what love is: Christ gave his life for us. We too, then, ought to give our lives for others!

1Jn 3:17 If we are rich and see others in need, yet close our hearts against them, how can we claim that we love God?

1Jn 3:18 My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action.

The statement "lay down your life for your brothers" means that we should do everything in our power to help, aid those who we know. To the very point of dying for someone. Within the Christian community we can see this by not judging but helping those in need whether it be material, physical, emotional or spiritual needs. In our church we have a benevolent fund which if anyone in the church is in need we can help them. For myself this was giving to me to see a doctor which I could not afford. This was not done in a big show but quietly and without fuss..I never knew who paid for it...it was done out of love for me. If not materially able to help prayer is something that each one of us can do...pray for those in need. Offers of comfort and company cost nothing and anyone is able to give of their time. We will not know the needs of others if we dont actually get to know people. When sitting in a large church worshipping we dont know what is going on in each others lives. I feel it is important to get into smaller groups and really get to know people...this can be done in small group settings, life groups or even small sunday school or bible study or prayer groups. The one thing to remember in any of these settings is to be honest and real...people soon recognize those who talk the talk but do not walk the walk. Care about one another...I mean really care with an open heart.

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? I think that it means that we should be prepared to give everythhing for a fellow Christian. Does it mean literally that I should be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice and lay down my life literally for another Christian? I think that,ulimately, yes it does mean that. Whether I could do this is another question, but Christ laid down His life for me and I am on a path which with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit is leading me to be more like Christ, and ultimately, I will become like Christ when I see Him in all His glory. So to me, it means that I should be prepared to give everything for a fellow Christian.

What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community? It means giving real help that is real active help to any Christian who is in need. This could be financial help, emoional help, givng up time to help, supporting a fellow Christian for example at work when they are coming under attack for their beliefs. In fact the list is almost endless. Here is a real example. I know of a Christian who was stuggling financially as a result of losing his job. He had been out of a job for over 5 months and was quite literally at the end of his financial resources. He didn't know where the money for food for his family for the next week was coming from. A fellow Christian, who was by no meansrich herself, but who had sufficianet ot live on, gave him a bag which contained some christian books and a CD which she told him he would find useful in his life. When he got home he opened the bag and at the bottom of the bag under the books was an envelope containing

what does it mean for me to lay down my life for my brethens and sister,it means i would do anything for them.jesus said to turn the other cheek and follow him,well why cant we do this?

its i8n the story of cain/abel,god love abel so much cause he was righteousness in the lord eyes,cain wa walking in wickedness by hating his brother.

so we need to remeber the story of cain/abel.

Laying down your life for your brothers means that when we see someone in need, we should help them out in every way we possibly can. Be there for them when they are suffering emotionally, financially and physically.

You can get involved in their lives by small groups, involvement in the church activities.

It means to sacrifice yourself so that you can ensure that they too will be save and know the love and grave of Jesue. Being there for them teaching, giving of your time and if necessary finances so that they see Christ in you. By being a standout person showing the love of Christ to everyone not just a select few.

Personally, this is (I think) Satan's favorite tool of our age. If he can convince us that we are so busy that we cannot have time left over to spend with others in our congregation, we do not establish relationships worthy of depending on each other and knowing each other at these personal levels. Even though we give to worthy organizations to honor God, I believe he really expects us to 'be there' for each other on this personal level.

To lay down your life for your brother means to love and show compassion however and whenever it is needed. It means placing your brothers before yourself. Bottom line: sacrificing self for the blessing of others.

Examples of this kind of love are helping to meet the physical and spiritual needs of others where you have the opportunity and means.

In larger congregations, a person can get involved in small groups, a Sunday school class, church activities and ministries. Be intentional and you can meet all kinds of people to bless and share the Christian life with.

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ set the perfect example for us when He laid down His life for us as His chosen people and we are to do the same thing for each other as we give of ourselves in various ways, such as to use the good gifts the Lord has given to us for the good of others in the church and for God

Although the literal meaning of lay down your life means to sacrifice your life for others, a blood sacrifice, as Jesus' sacrifice was, I interpret laying down my life to also mean devoting my living breathing hours to other Christians. We can minister to others by spreading the word, spending time, helping others, giving to those in need, and the list goes on.

We can get to know others in our congregations by attending church regularly, attending bible study, and involving ourselves in church activities. This is a sacrifice of time, which is what our lives are made of.

To lay down your life for your brothers is to love them as Christ has loved us. Love in Action; My church is participating with the organization "Habitat for the Community" helping to repair homes in the Trinidad area which surrounds our Church. Another example; Our Missionary Dept

gives out over three hundred thanksgiving baskets to people in the community.

I am an Intercessor at my church and we meet every Monday for prayer. I have invited many brothers and sisters to come for prayer; and talked to many young people encouraging them to join choirs, scholarship ministry and others organizations at my church.

Patricia

To lay down your life for your brothers means to put their needs before your own.

An example would be to put your own life on 'hold' in order to look after a sick relative. To help someone in a very selfless way and really go out of your way to help them.

In a large community, we could split up into smaller groups for prayer, or for having a meal together, and so get to know a few people more intimately.

:wub: