JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Obedience and Answered Prayer

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think obedience opens our hearts to God's answers to prayer. When we are disobedient, we put a wall up between God & ourselves.

No, we don't "earn" God's favor. Our desire should be an open, sinless relationship with God and He is more likely to answer our prayers when we desire the deeper relationship with Him.

I've heard it said that our needs touch the heart of God with compassion, but our faith-filled obedience opens His hands with blessing. Our obedience is not some secret short-cut or formula, but it puts us in the position that God says He will bless. Any parent seeking the highest good for a child knows that you cannot bless disobedience.

A redeemed heart confident in God, not deceived into self-condemnation, will be drawn to obey and will desire to please Him out of love and gratitude. When we offer our prayers out of an uncondemned heart, in accord with the Father's good and perfect will, verse 22 says we will always receive what we ask. Every answered prayer originates from His grace to us for His glory, not out of anything we could do.

Q4. (1 John 3:22) We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything.

We in return owe our lives to God, obedience is what our hearts should be crying out to do, for all He has done for us :rolleyes:

Q4. What is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer?

Obedience is my faith in action, how can I expect God to bless me if I am a disobedient child saying, "NO I will not follow Him."

Christs delight was in doing the will of the Father, I should have this same goal in my heart, obedience to do the will of my Father.

Do we "earn" God's favor through obedience?

Of course I earn Gods approval when I show my obedience to Him, the Holy Spirit teaches me the importance of my obedience, the word instructs me on how important my obedience is to God, in other words, my obedience is the reason I love God and my neighbor, OBEDIENCE is how I obtain Favor with God, if someone teaches me that disobedience to God will bring favor, I am going to run as fast as I can.

Q4. (1 John 3:22) We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer?

Prayer is somthing we make known by our petitions. His answer He makes known, but we have to be looking for His answr. He does not always say yes, but He does promise to stick with us. Obedience is just who we become when we finally get that He loves us. We want to love Him too, so we just love Him by showing Him the honor and glory that He deserves.

We do not earn anything from Yahowah. He has promised from the beginning that if we obey His commandments, we will receive His blessings. If we do not, we will receive curses. We obey His commandments because this is how we show our love towards Him. He knows what is really in our hearts and we couldn

Q4. (1 John 3:22) We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer? Do we "earn" God's favor through obedience?

If our consciences are clear, we can come to God confident that our requests will be heard. John reaffirms Jesus' promise that whatever we ask for will be given to us (Mat. 7:7) We will receive if we obey and do what pleases God because we will then be asking in line with God's will.

Although we are saved by grace and God's grace abound for us, He expects us to live lives of obedience to Him as a demosntration of our true love for Him. This not withstanding, we cannot bribe God by obedience in order to gain favour from Him. His favour pours better to us when He sees deep and true love that has motivated us to obey Him.

Q4. (1 John 3:22) We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer? Do we "earn" God's favor through obedience?

God is the Creator and we are the creation - therefore He does not owe us anything.

We do owe Him, i.e. obedience.

If He answers our prayers, that's because His grace.

We just earn His not-favor (?) if we don't obey.

Jesus already gave us everything we need.

How many people do you think believes it is wise to remove the steering wheel from a car and drive that car on the freeway at sixty? I know I wouldn't do it. The guidance of the Holy Spirit is like our steering wheel. Without it the recklessness of the ride might seem exciting but ultimately it leads to death. Matt. 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' (NIV)

I think it was Mickey Mantle who was given a blank check to play baseball for the Yankee's. The owner tore out a check, handed it over to him and said fill in the blank. That was his contract with the owner, "TRUST". God has given us a blank check and we can fill it in any way we want. We can fill it in with greed, envy, and every desire of the eye there is. We can also fill it in with the things that please God, charity, compassion, and love.

Mickey's mom overheard him telling someone about the things that he needed to improve on to be a better ball player. After listening to the list grow bigger and bigger she interrupted Mickey and said, "Ever since you were a little boy, you were never satisfied with your performance, there was always something you felt you needed to improve on." Mickey replied, "Ma, is that what pa would have wanted?" She said it was and Mickey said, "Well that's the way I want it and I won't be satisfied until that's the way it is."

God's favor is not earned by our obedience, God's blessings are not earned by our obedience, God's love is not earned by our obedience, but His trust sure is. If we prove on that trust there will be an added comment to the blank check some day. [b]"Well done, good and faithful servant."[/b]

Darrell

Truly, we owe God everything. Our obedience should and does come from a heart overwhelmed by His grace and mercy. But as we align ourselves with God's Will through prayer, followed by obedient response, we put ourselves in the path of God's ever flowing blessing.

Proverbs 12:2 says, "A good man obtains favor from the LORD, but the LORD condemns a crafty man."

So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer? If your conscience is clear, you can come to God without fear, confident that your requests will be heard. John reaffirms Jesus

I know that when my children behave and obey, then I am more likely to give them what they want, then I am when they are disobedient. My children are grown now, but I still remember a time when they came only to me to ask for things, because I was more lenient then their dad was. He wasn't mean-he just had higher standards than I did.

God is our Heavenly Father! As such, He expects a higher standard of living for us, and from us. That is why I know that when I mess up, I can go to my Heavenly Father, and ask Him to forgive me, and He will! Ain't this cool?! Just like Mom and Dad used to do! Only better! Gloray to God!

The first recorded sin in the Bible was disobedience, how much satisfaction God must get from His born again child whoo acts in obedience.

God is our Father and Jesus secured our place through Calvary into His family.

God gets great satisfaction from our obedience to Him and His word.

OUR OBEDIENCE IS A SIGN OF OUR LOVE TO GOD. JESUS SAID IN THE WORD IF YOU LOVE ME, YOU WILL OBEY ME.THE PROPHET SAMUEL TOLD KING SAUL AFTER HE HAD BEEN DISOBEDIENT THAT TO OBEY GOD IS BETTER THAN SACRIFICE.MY OBEDIENCE SHOWS HIM THAT I LOVE HIM AND AM WILLING TO DO THINGS HIS WAY, NOT MY WAY.OBEDIENCE COMES FROM A HEART THAT IS WILLING AND OPEN TO DOING WHAT'S RIGHT EVEN WHEN IT'S DIFFICULT.WHEN I OBEY I PUT MYSELF IN A POSITION TO RECEIVE FROM GOD THE THING I HAVE BEEN PRAYING FOR. GOD BLESSES AND REWARDS OBEDIENCE. I DONT HAVE TO EARN GOD'S FAVOR BUT WHEN I OBEY I OPEN UP THE DOOR FOR HIM TO BLESS ME; DEUTERONOMY 28 SAYS OBEDIENCE BRINGS BLESSINGS BUT DISOBEDIENCE BRING CURSES.

OUR OBEDIENCE IS A SIGN OF OUR LOVE TO GOD. JESUS SAID IN THE WORD IF YOU LOVE ME, YOU WILL OBEY ME.THE PROPHET SAMUEL TOLD KING SAUL AFTER HE HAD BEEN DISOBEDIENT THAT TO OBEY GOD IS BETTER THAN SACRIFICE.MY OBEDIENCE SHOWS HIM THAT I LOVE HIM AND AM WILLING TO DO THINGS HIS WAY, NOT MY WAY.OBEDIENCE COMES FROM A HEART THAT IS WILLING AND OPEN TO DOING WHAT'S RIGHT EVEN WHEN IT'S DIFFICULT.WHEN I OBEY I PUT MYSELF IN A POSITION TO RECEIVE FROM GOD THE THING I HAVE BEEN PRAYING FOR. GOD BLESSES AND REWARDS OBEDIENCE. I DONT HAVE TO EARN GOD'S FAVOR BUT WHEN I OBEY I OPEN UP THE DOOR FOR HIM TO BLESS ME; DEUTERONOMY 28 SAYS OBEDIENCE BRINGS BLESSINGS BUT DISOBEDIENCE BRING CURSES.

We owe from God our life and being. Without him, we won't be around with his image imprinted in us in the form of intellect.

We are expected to be good and righteous so that God will continue to bless us with his presence in our daily activities.

We are obedient because we love God and the blessing He gave us through His Son Jesus Christ, we pray and seek His forgiveness when we sin and seek His forgiveness for this He answers our prayers and bestows apon us the grace and mercy He promised. We can't earn His favor He gives freely to those He choses.

Q4. (1 John 3:22)

We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything.

So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer?

Do we "earn" God's favour through obedience?

Once we become a child of God we will want to obey Him. We will slip up every now and then, but will immediately ask for forgiveness. We do not obey our Lord expecting a reward. However, when we ask according to His will, we will receive from Him the things we ask for, or even better, the things God knows we need.

We don't earn Favor from God but we do receive it through Grace by acceptance. As children of God the indwelling of His Spirit leads us into obedience and truth, and God loves to bless His children when they walk in obedience to Him.

smile.gif

Q4. (1 John 3:22)

We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer?

We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. Our salvation is entirely by grace. But our continued Christian life requires our participation with God's grace.

Grace maintains our relationship as children of our heavenly Parent. But for answers to our extra requests, obedient living is required.smile.gif

First let me say that God is never in our debt. We are in His for eternity.

There are certain prayers we can pray which are in His will if we come with a humble heart and ask in faith He does grant. There ae other prayers which are not in His timing or His will whichever. It does not necessarily mean we have been disobedient. It simply means He has chosen to say no as His sovereign right dictates. If we are in open disobedience I don't even know if we will have the desire to pray. In a sense we are saying we don't care what the Lord says and we are going to do it our way so we don't even ask. Been there, done that but out of ignorance for the knowledge of Him and His laws and the goodness of them. Let's pray for them as it is a desparate state of sadness and sorry consequences. There may be some in our families in this desparate place in life.

Now the word "earn". One definition in the dictionary is "deserve; obtain as the reward for hard work or merit". If we have been obedient in what He asks in a sense in that defintition I might say we "earn" His favor. I don't know if I like putting it that way since when we obey HIm we are just doing what is owed to Him, what we should be doing if we love HIm. I don't like using the word "should" either as I think there is a tendencey on the side of legalism there and not enough on the side of love. I do believe God likes to reward those who obey Him. He doesn't always reward with money and the things the world looks on as reward but many times with harder work and suffering. Have you ever read "The Hidden Smile of God"? Maybe this is why some back away as they know the consequences in this world of obedience to our Lord.

I pray that each of us marches on toward whatever battles come our way with continued steadfastness in the faithfulness of our Lord to do what is right and just. "I am the Lord of justice and righteousness whose love is steadfast and I LOVE TO BE THIS WAY." (caps are mine). Jer 9:24 I don't know the translation of this but I do know that I love my God and His Word.

God Bless!!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer?

There is no relationship between obedience and answered prayer.

The relationship is between God and us. He loves the worst sinner the with the same degree of love as the most holy person.

There is no amount of obedience willl give you any favor with God.

Prayer is the talk between two persons in a relationship.

Complete Gospel: God loves you.

Incomplete Gospel: God loves you if...

... P. M. Summer

Q4. (1 John 3:22) We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer?

Obedience removes the need for correction and the consequences which may hinder or delay answered prayer. Obedience pleases God, and opens the way to answered prayer. When a child is rebellious, the focus is on correction and discipline, and rewards/blessings are withheld until compliance returns.

Disobedience results in a guilty conscience which hinders our ability to pray with confidence and faith, and since God responds to faith, we've created our own consequence in our inability to pray in the way which pleases God.

We already have God's favor, His unconditional love, and He will never forsake us, nor withdraw His love from us. He has promised as our Father to meet all of our needs in Christ Jesus, but as our loving Father, He also trains, corrects and desires to develop His Godly character in us. ( "As many as I love I rebuke and chasten." Rev. 3:19) Perhaps this applies to desires of the heart, "wants" and unexpected blessings, such as we desire to reward our kids with when they are obedient, and which we withhold during their "time out" consequence.

It sounds like that is what John is saying.....when we are obedient, favor flows and our prayers are answered unhindered. 1 Peter 3:7 supports this: "Married men should live considerately with your wives, honoring the woman as physically the weaker, realizing you are joint heirs of the grace of God, in order that your prayers may not be hindered and cut off (otherwise you cannot pray effectively)."

I am obedient to God because Christ is in my heart, the Holy Spirit helps me to surrender to God, and because I am obedient at least as well as I can be, it is not laborsome. Obedience is not work but a desire within to do right, so no I do not believe that I earn Gods` favor, that is a blessing He bestows upon me for being obedient. God knows all and sees all and when we are obedient it pleases Him and our prayers are answered. Some times the way we like sometimes not for He knows what we need and when it is needed and what we WANT. He knows what is important for us. :rolleyes: