JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Obedience and Answered Prayer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 John 3:22) We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer? Do we "earn" God's favor through obedience?

Q4. (1 John 3:22)

We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer? Do we "earn" God's favor through obedience?

God doesn

Q4 God's most important commandment is love of God and love of neighbour. If we are

called children of God we need to be obedient to the commandments and His teachings.

With the Holy Spirit abiding in us and guiding us to live righteous life and obedient

to Him, He will answer our prayers as promised in Matthew 7:7-11. If we know how to

be obedient to our earthly fathers, what more will our Heavenly Father be if we have

found favour with Him. He will truly grant us our requests.

We truly need the grace of God to continue living our Christian life in obedience

and to earn God's favour everyday of our life.

We never "earn" anything from God and He never "owes" us anything.

It is by faith we are saved and in seeking Him and His righteousness that everything is added to us. The key is relationship and faith.

We can't do "works" to earn God's favor and we can't be legally perfect in our own striving, but we can love God more than anything else and seek Him daily on His will in our lives and find favor as we step out in that. But even then, sometimes what we "think" will be favor is not met as we would "see" it, because God is infinite and we are finite and we can't grasp all He's doing.....but we can trust Him in it always seeking again for HIS will. God has answered my prayers when I haven't been living a life pleasing to Him. But my prayer was in His will, because I cried out for wisdom and understanding and help to know His will better.

I had the realization (again!)this week how merciful God is. I thought of every minute in our country that horrendous sin is committed through murder, hatred, deceit, greed etc. and how God has still extended mercy to us. That is infinite patience! Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, His mercy endures forever!

Once, long ago, God saw all He had made and knew that His creation had chosen to live in rebellion. All Heaven watched a just God as they wondered how He would continue to be truth in who He is, as He could not be other than just. But our God, who could have destroyed all that was unjust was love. So He chose to send a message and He chose to send love in the form of His Son (and Himself!)and He chose that His Son would pay the price so all would be just. The message "Peace on Earth, good will towards men" are profound words. His Son, accomplished the fullfillment of the law and of love in that He died for us so we may have eternal life and relationship with Himself, so God remained just, yet was love. And all who believe are made righteous in His eyes. This is our faith and our gift to receive from our loving God. Now we love Him, because He first loved us.

That's love! God is love.

Q4. (1 John 3:22) We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer? Do we "earn" God's favor through obedience?

we are to participate with God through repentance and prayer. No we don't earn anything through obedience but by grace.

[*]We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer? Do we "earn" God's favor through obedience?We cannot "earn God's favor" because our best works are filthy rags in His eyes. Only when we are cloaked in the robes of Jesus' righteousness and ask in faith, can we expect God to answer our prayers

When we are obedient to what God asks of us, we are putting ourselves in the position for God to answer our prayers and requests.

God tells us in His word that we are to come boldly to the throne of Grace and he will hear our requests .

We should not come to God just to be blessed but out of obedience to Him.

When we are obedient to what He asks of us, we will be blessed.

Q4. (1 John 3:22) We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer? Do we "earn" God's favor through obedience? When we are obedient we are doing the work of our God, and he will here our prayer because we are still connected with him. If we are a child of God than we must do what he tells us to do. If we choose not then we are disconnected to him. When you continue to do wrong how can you expect someone to reward you. God is a loving God that he will not tell us through the Holy Spirit to do anything wrong. No matter what the situation we must always be obedience even when it is hard. We me I have been in situation when it was hard for me to do the will of God, at one time in my life I didn't but do His grace and mercy he gave me another chance and I will continue to do His will NO MATTER WHAT.

1Jn 3:22 We receive from him whatever we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him.

God is our perfect father. As a parent he has the right to give and take as he wants and as circumstances warrant. If we are not living a life obedient to Him why would we even expect the extras from Him. When we are in obedience of course God will gladly give to us what we ask for. He loves us and love at times requires discipline. I do not believe we can ever be good enough to say that we earned anything from God. All that He gives to us is by His love and Grace and that alone. That includes even the very air that we breath and the fact that we can breath it.

God answers our prayers

"ad whatever we ask of him we recieved from him,because we keep his commandments and do those things that are pleasing in his sight".

to keep his commandments is to abide in him.it is to live in close,vital intimacy with the savior.when we are thus in fellowship with him,we make his will our own will.by the holy spirit,he fills us with the knowledge of his will.in such a condition we would not ask for anything outside the will of god.when we ask according to his will,we recieve from him the things we ask for.god commandment is that we should believe on the name of his son jess christ,and love one another,as he gave us commandment.

Obedience to God means that if we love God, we will obey His commandments. We don't earn God's favor through obedience. God knows what is best for us and when He answers our prayer it is for our good. God loves us so much that if we love Him, He will give us the desires of our heart.

Everything that we receive from God, whether in response to prayer or not, is given to us by God's grace. We do not earn it or deserve it. However, if we are in real communion with God, we will naturally be obedient to God. Earlier in this passage, John has been talking about sin and how "no one who abides in Him sins" (3:6). It follows from this that if we are abiding in Him we will obey Him and if we are not being obedient then something is wrong and we are not abiding in Him fully. This is an impediment to our communion with God, and naturally affects the results of our prayers. This doesn't mean that God simply abandons us, that never happens, it simply means that our communication with Him cannot be as effective.

God blesses and answers the prayers of those that obey and honor Him. Those that respond to His Word. We don't earn anything from God. What God gives is grace and those that respond to His grace receive the benefits of that grace. You can't receive what you don't want or desire. God's grace and the benefit's thereof are not forced on anyone.

I think that the relationship between obedience and answered prayer is one of wisdom on our part, and an understanding of prayer and daily Christian living. If we are transformed through humility and grace, we understand that God knows best for us and we submit to His will for us. We pray to be able to do so everyday, rather than pray for things of the world.

I don't think we earn God's favor, rather we realize what we are supposed to be doing for God and for God's glory.

As we pray we must always ask God for forgiviness of our sins. We must come to Him with a clean heart and be obedient to His wills and ways. When God is delighted in us He will answer our prayers.

We are not worthy of anything from God.

When we know God personally by having His Son the Lord Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, then we will be obedient to Him as the Lord (Master) of our lives and will be living righteously before Him so as we love our God and enjoy Him forever, then He will answer our prayers because they will be in-line with His will for us; but we are not ever able to

I am not sure about this! The way I understand it is that we obey God because we love Him, but our obedience doesn't earn us the answer to our prayer. Yet the scriptures tell us that if we pray acording to His will or His Word, that He will hear us and answer our prayer. I think that when we pray God's will it means that God has put the prayer into our hearts and mouths, and if He has done this, it is something that He already knows He wants to do.

When praying in a group, two or three are gathered together and Jesus is in the midst of us. Our prayers are heard, but the answers will come in God's timing and not ours.

:wub:

The relationship between obedience and answered prayer is, when we obey God's commands and we do what pleases Him, He answers our prayers according to His will.

We can't "earn" God's favor through obedience because He doesn't "owe" us anything. Even if God never answered another prayer,the fact He had His Son crucified to pay for our sins should be more than enough for us. In fact it isn't God that "owes" us but we that "owe" Him. In order for God to answer our requests, we need to live a life of obedience.

We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything. So what is the relationship between obedience and answered prayer?

Knowing what He has done for us so that we are able to obey and have our prayers answered. Knowing and understanding (having a deeper knowledge than head knowledge) that He has made available to us the ability to overcome and conquer. Knowing that obedience is simply believing and acting on the Word of God (the Bible).

Do we "earn" God's favor through obedience?

No. God's favor cannot be earned. God decides to whom He will favor and His Word says that He will favor those that are obedient. So, it is His word that makes this decision, not us. But, we can believe that we have favor because He SAYS we have favor. And this favor will bring us into desire to be more and more obedient.

Yes, we do "earn" God's favor through obedience. I think that you need to understand how I view God and His love for me for this to make sense to you. "Earn" is really not the right word here but I have seen God's favor bestowed as a result of obedience many times. Blessing follows obedience. Jesus says that if we love Him, we will obey Him....so our obedience is a sign of our love for Him. This will not lead us into legalism because the motive of our obedience is love. Surely God does not owe us anything...but He is merciful and His desire is toward us.

We know that God doesn't "owe" us anything but the relationship between obedience and answered prayer is that our continued Christian living and fellowship with Him requires our participation with His grace.

We do not "earn" God's favor through obedience, but through our obedience to Him Grace maintains our relationship as children of our heavenly Father who loves to bless his children to live the abundant life.

As as child of the Most High, when we obey Him, He hears us, and grants our repitions; however, when we are disobedient to Him,and don't walk in the ways that are pleasing to Him, we not only are not heard as far as granting of prayers are concerned, but we often have to suffer the consequences of our actions. It's like the relationship of parent and child: if the child is obedient and good, the parent is more inclined to listen to the child, and give the child what he/she needs,and sometimes what they want (if it is not harmful), but if the child is disobedient and asks for something, the parent is more likely to be like, "You are acting like this, and you want me to...what? You can forget it!" That is much like the relationship between God and His children; not that we earn anything from Him, because He owes us nothing (its enough that He saves us, which can't be earned, either), but when we honor Him in our lifestyle, He is more likely to honor us when it comes to our prayers and requests.