JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. I Thirst (John 19:28)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (John 19:28) What do you learn from Jesus' Fifth Word: "I thirst"? What does this tell us about Jesus? What does this tell us about his experience on the cross?

I learned that Jesus was real human

The fatigue which he had undergone, the grief he had felt, the heat of the day, and the loss of blood, were the natural causes of this thirst. This he would have borne without complaint; but he wished to give them the fullest proof of his being the Messiah, by distinctly marking how every thing relative to the Messiah, which had been written in the prophets, had its complete fulfilment in him.

Q5. (John 19:28)

What do you learn from Jesus' Fifth Word: "I thirst"?

What does this tell us about Jesus?

What does this tell us about his experience on the cross?

While on the cross Jesus was forsaken by God as He suffered the penalty of our sins. His cry,

Q5. (John 19:28) What do you learn from Jesus' Fifth Word: "I thirst"? What does this tell us about Jesus? What does this tell us about his experience on the cross?

Here we get to realise that the Jesus hanging on the cross was human like us and all the emotions he showed we can identify with. He is close to death but still needed to say a few more words and fulfill a prophesy. We can sense the urgency, the need to complete His task.

We often tend to forget that Our Lord became flesh, that He could experience life like us. The difference between us was only sin, all the other emotions and feelings he endured.

On the cross and all the persecution He suffered leading up to that point was experienced like we would and not like an immortal being.

The fact that the world needs to see is that He came to earth as flesh and took it upon Himself to bear the burden of sin for all mankind.

Thank you father for sending your Son to spare us all the pain and suffering he endured for my sins. Thank you Jesus my King for taking my place on that cross and dying for me, shedding your blood that I could be saved. Thank you Father for raising Him from the dead, that I may have eternal life. Thank you Lord, your suffering for my salvation. Praise you Jesus Amen

I believe that Jesus, in order to fulfill the purpose of His mission on earth, had to be fully human, and this meant going through all that agony all for us, and having lost so much blood and so much fluid through the beatings, water was the first thing He could ask for.

It is interesting to note that this also fulfilled the prophecies written concerning the Suffering Servant.

He needed to keep up his strength for the right time to give up his spirit, He remained totally focused on the mission, even with all that pain and suffering...what greater love than this. Most of us would have given up and died there and then to end the misery.

His experience on the cross was terrifying, and none of us would be able to go through that, that is why He did it for us...Thank you Father, for sending your son to die in my place. May I remain faithful to you always.

Q5. (John 19:28) What do you learn from Jesus' Fifth Word: "I thirst"?

I see my Savior at work on the cross, fulfilling every iota of prophecy so there could never be any doubt as to whether or not He is Messiah. His death was heinously painful and agonizing, and yet He did not hang there passively waiting to die and get it over with....He was conscientiously fulfilling the scripture that He knew so well, even to the very end. I learn of His humanity...his flesh was just like ours. He got hungry, tired, thirsty, felt pain as well as human emotions, yet without sin. He was thirsty but became the River of Living Water for me, so that my spiritual thirst is quenched as we are now in relationship!

It tells me that besides being human, He is God. Asking to have His thirst slaked was not only to fulfill prophecy, it was to enable Him to give the shout of victory "It is finished", in a loud cry, rather than in the whimper of a helpless victim.

Jesus was in control, even on the cross. He demonstrated that "He laid down His life"....no one took it from Him. He showed that He gave His life as the final sacrificial lamb of God, dying at the moment the shofar was sounding from the temple as the high Priest slit the throat of the lamb, no longer needed, there, and as the curtain was torn from top to bottom demonstrating that the way was now opened for me to come into the presence of God in prayer...without the aid of a priest. It tells me that He was thinking of me when He took His last breath, and that for "the joy set before Him", you and I would spend eternity with Him.

"If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." John 4:10

If we remember Jesus words to the woman at the well, we can put this in perspective. His sacrifice for us gives us Living Water. What an amazing gift to us. The Samaritan woman recognized Him as a prophet. What do we recognize Jesus as? Our Savior?

Our Redeemer?

Our rescuer from this world of great sin?

I am forever thankful for His sacrifice for me, forever grateful for eternal life! This is such a miracle!

Q5: (John 19:28) What do you learn fro Jesus' Fifth Word:"I Thirst"? What does this tell us about Jesus? What does this tells us about His experience on the cross?

The Fifth Word tells us about the reality of Jesus' incarnation. Unthinkable punishment He has endured for our sins...hard to express what else to say except pray: LORD, HELP US TO SIN NO MORE!

Jesus' thirst did not merely pertain to bodily relief but His Thirst for belief, love, compassion, obedience and repentance from all of us.

Christ's experience of suffering on the cross tells us about His determination to fulfill what was written and His resolute surrender to God's will for our salvation.

Last night I reflected on Jesus the human, so instead of rewriting that train of thought, I think the next thought that comes to mind is that Jesus was still thinking of scripture. This probably goes to his commitment again. Psalm 69:21 is probably the best verse cited t show that. At this point the darkness has been going for hours. If I understand that passage right, the darkness probably set in when God had to turn his back on Jesus. Jesus more than anyone is feeling that separation (Why have you forsaken me?). So for three hours, Jesus is completely alone on the cross, except for the sin that he's got on Him, somethign that Jesus the divine is completely aware of. His thoughts are still on scripture. I can only think through this as a human. There's the part of me that thinks he may have been timing this out like I do on a run. For Him the goal is three days, and the first one is just about done. He did 40 days in a desert and he's been training for this throughout his ministry and even before. He just has to endure basically two more days and then he gets to set the whole world free. for me, when I have those types of thoughts, that's all I can think about, the short period of time that's left, the ultimate goal. But Jesus seems to be thinking about scripture. That's the thing that's keeping him going.

I learned that God fulfilled his Word entirely. I liked learning about the hyssop & the use at the first Passover--the relationship to the blood of the sacrifice; and also about the history of the sponge used to give him drink.

This proves Jesus was fully human.

It shows how horrendous it really was for Him to be separated from the Father & the pain of paying for our sins.

Q5. (John 19:28) What do you learn from Jesus' Fifth Word: "I thirst"?

That Jesus came to earth as man so He could be like us and experience everything that we do.

1. Jesus was human and experienced thirst just as we do.

2. He was fulfilling prophecy

3. He was completing the commitment He made with His Father.

Jesus was in complete control during the entire experience and could have come down from that cross at any moment. Being Jesus, He remained until the end because of His love for us. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...