JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. I Thirst (John 19:28)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This fifth word on the cross shows us all the humanity as well as the fully-divineness

of Christ Jesus and that He fully and totally fulfilled all of the Scriptures about His

death on the cross at Calvary, and the agony and aloneness He had experienced on the

cross for my sake and for the sake of the other chosen believers in Christ Jesus throughout the centuries! No one can or will ever understand all that our Lord Jesus went through on the cross or in His death, even in eternity, but we can understand these bits and pieces of it and then to give Him the thanks and praise He deserves from us, His people, throughout eternity we will ever praise and thank Him as we bow down to Him truly as our Lord and our Savior! Amen!

"I thirst" completely affirms the humanity of Jesus, his very real flesh and blood body. He suffered very real prolonged physical brutality and experienced the very real physical symptom of dehydration and thirst.

As I was reading this lesson, I also began to think of a spiritual parallel. The crushing weight of sin and its ravaging consequences dehydrate our spirits. Jesus tells us to thirst for righteousness in Matthew 5:6 and be satisfied by the Living Water of John 4:14 and 7:37-39. May I recognize that kind of thirst just as intensely as He knew such profound physical thirst.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Greetings,

This particular lesson still has more for me to learn. I have been 'chewing' on it for a lil while. Possible, the Holy Spirit is teaching me something about myself in this one. So far I have gathered these thoughts. Jesus desire to complete everything according to scripture---His willingness to prepare Himself to speak out His next words--by ASKING for help from the soldiers...the ones who were there to make sure that all went according to schedule..Our Help comes from God..and oftentimes He prepares others to be the ones by whom the blessings, needs, helps will come through..it is a pride issue on our part to be looking for one answer and all the while God is answering in His way...And oh, the mercy of that soldier...He helped Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

i thirst;to me its means that jesus gave his last breath and lifted himself up to the lord to be with.

it was this time that jesus forsaken by god as he suffered te penality of our sins.his cry ;i thirst;;indicated real,physical thirst,which was intensified by crucifixion.

but it also reminds us that,greater than his physical thirst was his spiritual thirst for the salvation of the souls of men.

• 1 month later...

When Jesus was on the Cross He had already suffered so much before He even got to the Cross. There was the blood loss and the beatings that had caused Him to be weakened. I believe that His words "I thirst" was for more than water but for the loss of His Father's being able to look on Him on the Cross. He thirsted for the lost fellowship even if it was only for a short time.

Jesus took all this and knew that He was accomplishing something so great for mankind. It wasn't easy for Jesus to go through all this but He knew the end result so He could do what He was doing. Jesus loved us so much and loved His Father so much that He would go through everything He did.

The experience on the Cross was so gruesome and so awful that only the Son of God could go through with it and die for us. An ordinary man could never have stood the pain or the suffering that Jesus did. His agony was not only physical but mental and had been planned before time began. The end result of Jesus dying on the cross brought about the saving of many lives and it was for us that He died. No other person ever sacrificed as much as Jesus did.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q5. (John 19:28) What do you learn from Jesus' Fifth Word: "I thirst"? What does this tell us about Jesus? What does this tell us about his experience on the cross?

John 19:28- Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty."

What do you learn from Jesus' Fifth Word: "I thirst"? Jesus was fulfilling Scripture when He said "I thirst".

What does this tell us about Jesus? Jesus had complete obedience to His Father.

What does this tell us about his experience on the cross? Jesus suffered physical humanity and reminds each one of us that He died for us. Secondly, Jesus was very aware of Scripture and He knew that He had to fulfill them even though He might not have been to express it unless He was able to drink something. This final request by Jesus was steer determination to complete His earthly task that His Father had sent Him to be among us.

Q5. (John 19:28) What do you learn from Jesus' Fifth Word: "I thirst"?

The words Jesus spoke at that time “I thirst” I believe refers more to the spiritual, speaking of His spiritual needs that is longing for that which is righteous, for His Father who is holy, for at this time Jesus has become our SIN - TRULY FULFILLING WHAT THE SCRIPTURES TELLS US THE SON OF MAN WOULD HAVE TO DO.

Q. What does this tell us about Jesus?

It tells me, He willingly took on the SIN of mankind, so that mankind, those who are naked and thirsty may drink freely, and never “Thirst again” - Such “love” given from the Father and from His Beloved Son.

Q. What does this tell us about his experience on the cross?

The experience on the cross makes it very clear the horror of “SIN” and why God hates SIN; The experience of the Cross should be written on our hearts, understanding the truth, God’s Beloved took on Himself our sin so that we would be a righteous people, what we were predestined to be.

God did not send His Son to bear our sins for us to continue walking in them, He experienced the Cross so that we may be victorious over SIN, it is because of the Cross we can receive Water, so that we will never thirst again – (Rev. 22:17) And the Spirit and the bride say, Come! And the one hearing let him say, Come! And the one thirsting, let him come; and the one desiring, let him take of the water of life freely. THIS IS WHAT THE EXPERIENCE OF THE CROSS SAYS TO ME.

• 3 months later...

jesus was in every way human as well as spiritual. hunger our bodies can handle more but lack of water makes it hard to breathe and does not allow our muscles to work properly or internal organs to function properly as we are made up of 60% water. Jesus thirsted just as any of us would have in the same circumstance. this shows that he was totally human and it also tells us that being put on a cross takes its toll physically.

Q5. (John 19:28) What do you learn from Jesus

• 4 months later...

Q5. (John 19:28) What do you learn from Jesus' Fifth Word: "I thirst"? What does this tell us about Jesus? What does this tell us about his experience on the cross?

Answer:

It tell us that indeed Jesus is 100% human,and 100% God at the same time.

He is God in the sense that He absorb all our Sins in His body,being sinless Himself(2 Cor 5:21),and reconcile us back to the Father(2 Cor 5:18- And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation.

Colossians 1:20-And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

His experience,pain,suffering in the cross,tell us that the price of our Salvation is so much,that it needs our Creator,to do it Physically,and to be Spiriyually separated from the Father just to redeem us back.

What a love He has for us.Thank You Jesus.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When Jesus said, "I thirst," He demonstrated both His humanity and His divinity. Being fully human, the suffering of the cross led to physical thirst. Being fully God, the purpose of the cross required fulfillment of prophecy. His experience on the cross was both real and purposeful. It was all a necessary part of God's plan to redeem mankind.

I know this was not necessarily mentioned but JESUS' words, "I thirst" come after HE said, "My GOD, My GOD why have YOU forsaken ME?"

I think this thirst relates to HIS being separated from GOD......

when I consider this - i am awed by JESUS' love first for HIS FATHER to do HIS will, then for HIS love for us - HE really did suffer beyond what I can ever imagine......may we praise HIM who was, is and evermore - IN CHRIST AMEN!

I like this. I think you may have discovered another aspect to Jesus' fifth word from the cross. Thanks!

I learned from the fifth word, "I thirst" that Jesus was, in his human state, fully suffering in his body. In spirit, His Father had forsaken Him and now, He cries out in thirst. I don't know how many here have suffered from extreme thirst, but it's very agonizing. To need a drink and not have any liquid available is body wrenching as well as mind wrenching. He wasn't just thirsty at this point either. He had thorns jabbing Him in the head, blood running into HIs eyes. He had excrutiating pain from nails in His hands and feet. He had bled so much, His body was totally depleted. The whip marks on His back were being gouged by splinters of the wood at His back. His friends (most of them) had run away. His Father left Him alone. He was slowly suffocating and had searing pain trying to push His body up on the cross enough to take a semblance of a breath. He was exposed on the cross and people laughed at Him. And He was innocent. It would have been a hard way to die guilty, but He didn't deserve it. He did it quietly as a lamb before it's shearers, for us.

I see Jesus in full suffering, physically and spiritually. I see the full extent of His suffering for me. I'm glad of this study....it is a remembrance of what He did for us....without the sterile surroundings we so often have today when we think of the cross.

From Jesus'fith word "I thirst" we confirm that although Jesus was God, He became flesh (man) that He may die for our sin. For only as a man could He die for our sin.

The stament also shows the degree of intensive pain and suffering He experienced on the cross, just for me and all.