JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Hospitality and Heresy

Q2. (2 John 10-11) Why does the Apostle John tell his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers? What would refusing hospitality mean for a congregation (as opposed to an individual)? What is the border between tolerance and stupidity, when it comes to false teachers? Do the divisions of denominationalism find justification in this verse? Why or why not?

• 4 weeks later...

Christians are to be in the world but not of the world. And the church is to be set apart from any false teaching of the world that denies the deity of Jesus Christ. I think the Raymond Brown quote was excellent, saying that this instruction to refuse hospitality is part of the warfare between Christ and antichrist. How can two walk together unless they are in agreement? (Amos 3:3) Those who are enemies of Christ are enemies of His Church and there is no place for toleration of those who pervert or refute the truth of who He is. I think it well may be true that many congregations have people in their midst who deny that eternal life is found in Jesus the Christ and they need to be hearing the true gospel. But such people who might promote such doctrines could never be given a platform for teaching or preaching. That would simply be irresponsible.

Christian denominations whose core and basic beliefs are based on the true gospel may disagree on practices, but not essential fundamentals. But that is not the same thing John seems to be warning about. His concern is those who would spread false teachings about divine Christ come to earth in flesh. There is no justification here for discord or divisions within the Christian Body of Christ.

Q2. (2 John 10-11) Why does the Apostle John tell his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers?

I understand that John is telling his readers not to invite false teachers into their churches, but this verse helped me immensely as a naive new baby Christian. I was home alone when 2 women from a cult which goes door to door came to call, I invited them in, wanting to tell them about Jesus, and what He was doing in my life. After about 10 min. I knew I was in over my head, as they "double teamed" me, not wanting to hear what I had to say, but rather to show me where I was wrong according to their Bible translation (which only they use). I sent up an arrow prayer for help, and a few minutes later an older Christian mentor and her two daughters knocked on my door. They were driving down the freeway and "felt an urgent need to come to see me".....the two cult members were then outnumbered, we lovingly shared our testimonies and I was rescued. Later when I read this verse in 2 John, I decided to literally keep false teachers on the porch! But the issue is the same....hospitality encourages them and gives them a platform for their false teaching. V.11 says to wish them success is to be a partaker in his evil doings.

What would refusing hospitality mean for a congregation (as opposed to an individual)?

For the congregation, it would mean not allowing them into the church. Martin Luther said "You can't stop birds from flying over your head, but you can stop them from building a nest in your hair".....you can't keep false teachers from spreading their lies, but you can prevent them from contaminating the congregation.

What is the border between tolerance and stupidity, when it comes to false teachers?

Not much difference...they're both dangerous, and would allow the ravening wolves into the sheepfold.

As new Christians in an Anglican church, the Reverend asked us if we'd be willing to host a young seminarian for dinner on Sunday afternoons to show him hospitality so that he didn't have to drive back and forth to San Francisco to the Seminary twice in one day. We happily agreed. After the second Sunday he stopped pretending to have good manners and controlled the conversation, which consisted of trying to convince us that Mary and Joseph were married and that Jesus was their natural child, and that the virgin birth was a misunderstanding of scripture as well as other nonsense. We tolerated him for a few more Sundays.....then decided it would be stupidity to continue to listen to his false teaching and rescinded our hospitality. We left that denomination shortly afterward.

Do the divisions of denominationalism find justification in this verse? Why or why not?

I'm not sure I understand the question....I'll look forward to other's answers on this. Perhaps the denominations use this verse to justify any difference in belief for worshipping separately, such as immersion or sprinkling for Baptism, or wine and bread versus wafers and grape juice...that type of thing, while John is speaking of separating from heretical, anti Christ teaching, not differences in walking out the Word in minor issues.

We are to refuse hospitality to those false teachers--we don't want to have even a small part in their deception.

For the congregation--it would poison the group. They should not be allowed to come or to share a message. Why would we want to hurt others & hear a message from satan?

Both are not good. Rather than tolerance that says "we should" or stupidity which says "what's the problem?"--we should pray for wisdom & discernment!!

No, differences in minor things is ok; it's the differences in the major tenants of the faith which cannot be changed, altered or deleted. We may be divided on small things, but we all come together on the basics. Anyone not agreeing with the basics is not of God.

[*]Why does the Apostle John tell his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers?When a false teacher is invited to speak, the church, in the name of "tolerance" and "inclusion", implicitly sanctions what is said. This presents a stumbling block for less mature believers, as well has mature believers who are experiencing seasons of suffering and struggling with God's "absence" in their lives. As a result, some fall prey to disbelief.

[*]What would refusing hospitality mean for a congregation (as opposed to an individual)?At a congregational level, refusing hospitality protects the church from the distortions of false teachers. At an individual level, refusing hospitality (shelter, food, clothing) runs counter to Christ's commandment that we love one another.

[*]What is the border between tolerance and stupidity, when it comes to false teachers?When it comes to false teachers, tolerance = stupidity.

[*]Do the divisions of denominationalism find justification in this verse? Why or why not?For the most part, Christian denominational differences are based on minor differences. It has often been said:

On the "Majors"

Q2. (2 John 10-11) Why does the Apostle John tell his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers? What would refusing hospitality mean for a congregation (as opposed to an individual)? What is the border between tolerance and stupidity, when it comes to false teachers? Do the divisions of denominationalism find justification in this verse? Why or why not?

1. If you invite them into your home, you might as well tell them that what they believe is right, and you encourage them to believe the lie.

2. The congregation is standing together as to what they believe, and that is a beautiful thing!

3. There is no border-study and know what the Word says. I don't agree with everything I hear, but it isn't rocket science-Be Like The Bereans!

4. If we start with the Lord Jesus Christ and His birth, death, and resurrection, and study together the Word, the other "little stuff" will work out. God has a way of bringing people together when everything says "it ain't gonna happen."

He doesn't want the Gospel to become polluted by false teachings. He is protecting God's people and showing them that they must continue as Christ instructed. Refusal by a congregation is keeping the church safe as Jesus wanted and the Gospel as He taught. We can be tolerant without letting a false teacher change the way we know that we should live just because a person wants to instruct you on a subject does not mean you need take it to heart,we must know the scripture and use the knowledge the Holy Spirit gives us to come to the truth. Yes, some denominations are subject to leading people away from the truth,There are churches that live in sin and think it is ok.

Q2. (2 John 10-11)

Why does the Apostle John tell his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers?

What would refusing hospitality mean for a congregation (as opposed to an individual)?

What is the border between tolerance and stupidity, when it comes to false teachers?

Do the divisions of denominationalism find justification in this verse? Why or why not?

We have to be most careful not to be contaminated with false doctrines. We are not to allow them to get a foot-hold in our homes or churches; all they will do is spread lies and side with the antichrist. Their aim is to lead us away from our Lord and Saviour. If other denominations teach us the truth about Jesus; that is they believe in the absolute deity and humanity of the Lord Jesus; then there is no problem, they are to be welcomed as believers.

For a false teacher will take over the church and destroy many people.

Then you are very rude but also you don't give Satan a change.

Well, my family were huguenotes and some hundreds years ago, they were considered to be wrong.

The prophets were considered to be insane.

We have to take care we don't call a new Jeremia also a false teacher.

He doens't like division, 'How good and nice is the sitting of brothers together'

My country has church-divorces for the most smallest details.

That can't be good.

If the Bible doens't give details how to do something, it doesn't matter.

False teaching aims, to confuse and and destroy. False teaching belongs to the world and is accepted, but we are not of this world, we are the blood bought children of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

There can be no acceptance or reconciliation to false teaching, we are never to partake from it.

Why? would a child of God drink from a fountain of contamination, when we drink from the font of truth and life.

REFUSING HOSPITALITY TO FALSE TEACHERS IS A WAY OF PROTECTING THE SHEEP FROM WOLVES WHO ARE OUT TO PROMOTE THEIR OWN DOCTRINES AND DIVIDE AND SCATTER THE PEOPLE OF GOD.JOHN KNEW IT WAS DANGEROUS BECAUSE IT CONTAMINATES YOUR FAITH IN GOD WHEN YOU CONTINUALLY HEAR UNTRUTHS ALL THE TIME.JUST AS WE DON'T LET CRIMINALS INTO OUR HOME FOR SAFETY REASONS, WE DON'T LET HERETICS INTO OUR HOME CHURCHES TO POLLUTE THE HOLY WORD OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.

The Apostle John tells his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers because not doing so would give consent to the false teachings they were spreading. Refusing hospitality for a congregation (as opposed to an individual) indicates a refusal to encourage the false teachers in teaching heresy and their worship which will not conform to the congregation's. The border between tolerance and stupidity begins when false teachers are permitted to spread heresy to a congregation that you lead as opposed to the false teacher being allowed to speak with you personally. With a one-on-one discussion, as leader in the church, you might be able to convert the individual. Divisions of denominationalism cannot find justification in this verse because there are numerous reasons, besides heresy, that cause church splits and the forming of denominations.

As Christians the very core of our belief system is Christ Jesus, His life; His death; His resurrection, all culminating in our salvation. Without these truths we have nothing, and as such, as the body of Christ we must reject all who oppose these fundamental truths. We can accept the people but not their teaching, remember it is "the love of money that is evil" and not money itself. Likewise it is the " false teaching that we must reject and not the person. There can be only one head to a body and as Christians we have Christ, He bore the penalty for our sins and in Him we have unity. There is no other way unto the Father but through the Son, He has come ,He died, and He has risen and is alive. Amen!!

Q2.(2 John 10-11)

Why does the Apostle John tell his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers?

John tells his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers because providing hospitality to the false teachers is the same as to contributing for the development and spread-out of antichrist system as one would be participating in his / her evil deeds.

Q2. (2 John 10-11) Why does the Apostle John tell his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers?

False teachers are those who deny Jesus came in the flesh, they are denying His deity, they are an antichrist; don

Q2. (2 John 10-11) Why does the Apostle John tell his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers? Because by inviting them into the church, as John means here, it gives them an opportunity to spread their heresy an divide the Church itself.

What would refusing hospitality mean for a congregation (as opposed to an individual)? I think that it means refusing to give false teachers a platform for their false teachings within the Church.

What is the border between tolerance and stupidity, when it comes to false teachers? It is a very fine border but we need to be led by the Holy Spirit within us. However, where we are talking about false teachers in the way that John is referring to false teachers, then I think that the message is clear. We should not tolerate false teachers end of story.

Do the divisions of denominationalism find justification in this verse? Why or why not? The answer to this depends on how broadly you define denomination. Where we are talking about denominations which teach the risen Christ as the son of God who came into the World to die for us, rose again on the third day, ascended into heaven and who will come again in glory, then I think that the answer is no nor should there be any need for them to seek justification in this verse. If however, we are talking about so called denominations which have gone beyond the teachings of Christ, as John puts it, then if those who continue in Christ's true teachings do not seek justification in this verse, then they should. We should not tolerate deviations from the teachings of Christ, for to do so is to open the way clear for the antichrist.

We are to refuse hospitality to false teachers so that we do not become affected by their wrong ways.

To a congregation, refusing hospitality would mean that we are not giving these false teachers a chance to speak/preach in our churches. As Jesus said, "A very small piece of yeast quickly spreads through the whole dough".

The border between tolerance and stupidity? Well, the verse says that anyone who welcomes him shares his wicked work (or is giving approval)- in which case it would be better not to be tolerant at all. The only exception being if you are strong enough for God to use you in the conversion of this person.

:wub:

John told his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers because the readers could be led astray by hearing the false teaching of these false teachers. From what I have learnt from Dr. Raph, John directives were meant for congregations of Christians to refuse giving the false teachers hospitality. This was to avoid a situation where they would poison the mind of the Christian. I also feel that individual Christians should also refuse giving such hospitality because of the same risk.

I do not think the division of denominationalism is justified here. Many denominations are still abinding by the teaching of the Lord Jesus and therefore are not false teachers.

Q2 John told his readers to refuse hospitality to the false teachers in order that they

may avoid and protect themselves from their wicked work.

Refusing hospitality meant for a congregation was for self protection and not to

become a participant in their error-spreading mission in other words to protect

them from the contagion of false and deceptive teachers.

We need to draw a line and use God's wisdom when it comes to false teachers.

If we who are of different denominations profess the same faith and confess that

Jesus is our Lord and our God, there should be justification in this verse.

If we greet them and show them hospitality then we are sharing in their evil deeds.An individual refusing to show those teachers hospitality is standing alone as a congregation are many taking that stand showing what the community is standing for. I myself do not see any border. If I was to show tolerance to false teachers that means that I have given into them, allowing them a foothold and that would show my stupidity as I knew better then to give them a foothold. B)

We live in a day in which any and everything is tolerated. No matter how outlandish or how strenuously we disagree with what others cherish or embrace, we accept their rights to their opinion. There seem to be no basis for saying

I think John is talking specifically about false teachers. Not to be confused with reaching out for the lost and having them in your home. Because Jesus DID teach that! The false teachers were actively trying to get others to believe a way other than what Christ taught. As believers in Christ....who would tolerate that? Why would we want to invite in and give ground to anyone who taught other than what we have come to know as truth in Christ Jesus? I could perhaps tolerate a false teacher in the hopes to lead them to truth, but it would be stupidity to allow a platform for stubborn, openly false teaching in my home once I see the false teacher is not in Christ.

I think most churches are united as the body of Christ in believing in Christ and that is a foundation, but really, I think most of the divisions in churches and doctrines have come out of the so called "revealing of deeper truths" and have caused a falling away to the true teachings of Christ and how people treat each other as well as disunity among different denominations. WE are the church....in Him.

Refusing hospitilaty to a false teacher would be today as forcing the bad thoughts out of our head. Hospitality was a Christian virtue when we entertain false teachers easily there is a point where we are tricked into turning from God and following a man and not divinity. Tolerance is not agreeing but allowing someone in your presence in whom you differ in opinion and stupidity is when we become close buddies to a false teacher--there is many divisions started. Denominationalism is the centering around thinking we are better than or just getting your mind off of the real subject-Jesus Christ being fully divine.

John instructed the believers not to show hospitality to false teachers. They were to do nothing that would encourage the heretics in their propagation of falsehoods. In addition, if believers were to invite them in, such action would show that they were approving of what the false teachers said and did. It may seem rude to turn people away, even if they are teaching heresy, but how much better it is to be faithful to God than merely courteous to people! John is condemning the support of those who are dedicated to opposing the true teachings of God, not condemning hospitality to unbelievers. John adds that a person who supports a false teacher in any way shares in the teacher