JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

There are many countries where Christians face physical persecution -- and I cannot proclaim to know them all. What especially amazes me is that after the breakdown of Communism in the U.S.S.R. , Christianity has blossomed, clearly demonstrating that even decades of active oppression cannot destroy the Church. In the Western World (the Americas and Western Europe), persecution is much more subtle. Especially in North America, Christianity is no longer accepted as "the norm". In our community, even the Muslims, Sikhs and Jews find it difficult to understand how we Christians have accepted the banishment of prayer and religious teaching in our public schools! To my chagrin, I recently learned that the United Nations no longer recognizes Canada as a "Christian Nation"!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't know all of the countries that are being persecuted, we all know China, North Korea, Iran, Turkey, India are few of the ones in which we have public knowledge. From Genesis to Revelation, we are told to take courage because God is on our side. So, every Christian should be encouraged to know that we don't fight this battle alone, and God has promised that while trials and tribulation will come, it does not have the final say--God does! As Paul said in 2 Timothy 2:11 "For if we died with HIM, We shall also live with HIM," and 3:12 "Yes, and ALL who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus WILL suffer persecution." So, we have been very clearly told that there will be persecution, but the awesome part is the end of the story...CHRIST WINS! Allelulia! For all of us the encouragement is this, anything we go through here on Earth is worth it to be able to stand on that final day and hear "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

• 1 month later...
Q3. In what countries are Christians presently experiencing tribulation or persecution for the faith? How can the Book of Revelation be a comfort and encouragement to them?

I have npt studied this but think that maybe in China, Christianity is growing the fastest, and the people are the most at risk for persecution. Is it such that when people in a country are like those of the first century church that their fait is the highest? In such situation it is most important to have the courage to continue, despite the risks.

Lord, thank you for blessing us in the USA to have comfort of this "Freedom" We do not ask for too much comfort, because if we are uneasy we will remember how we need you. Thank you for saving us Jesus. Amen

Q3. In what countries are Christians presently experiencing tribulation or persecution for the faith? How can the Book of Revelation be a comfort and encouragement to them?

I have npt studied this but think that maybe in China, Christianity is growing the fastest, and the people are the most at risk for persecution. Is it such that when people in a country are like those of the first century church that their fait is the highest? In such situation it is most important to have the courage to continue, despite the risks.

Lord, thank you for blessing us in the USA to have comfort of this "Freedom" We do not ask for too much comfort, because if we are uneasy we will remember how we need you. Thank you for saving us Jesus. Amen

There are many countries where Christians face physical persecution -- and I cannot proclaim to know them all. What especially amazes me is that after the breakdown of Communism in the U.S.S.R. , Christianity has blossomed, clearly demonstrating that even decades of active oppression cannot destroy the Church. In the Western World (the Americas and Western Europe), persecution is much more subtle. Especially in North America, Christianity is no longer accepted as "the norm". In our community, even the Muslims, Sikhs and Jews find it difficult to understand how we Christians have accepted the banishment of prayer and religious teaching in our public schools! To my chagrin, I recently learned that the United Nations no longer recognizes Canada as a "Christian Nation"!

Wow, I found this to be very informative indeed. A Christian is a follower of Christ, Messiah of Israel, and that is who I am. I am looking forward to the day the Messiah comes back to reign.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We probably could say all countries have persecution to some extent. Some are worse than others and persecution comes in many forms. People can take comfort in the book of Revelation that God will have the last word/action. We look sometimes to not have those bad feelings of persecution by trying to stay out of the fray. Even though that is where we should be. God will see us through.

• 1 month later...

China, North Korea, Iraq, Iran, some African nations, and many more I'm sure. Revelation shows that the Christians win in the end with eternal life, rewards, and an eternity praising the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We are always to give a reason for the hope that is within us - that is Jesus Christ. We have a life of hope, hope, hope. Hallelujah and Amen!

• 3 weeks later...

Today, many Christians are experiencing persecution in countries where Moselm is the dominant religion. For those Christians, they can be comforted in reading Revelation; for one, God has promised that any one who reads it will be blessed.

• 1 month later...

Q3.

In what countries are Christians presently experiencing tribulation or persecution for the faith?

How can the Book of Revelation be a comfort and encouragement to them?

Nearly all Muslim countries, and certain African countries where Muslims have political control all persecute Christians and do not allow the spread of the Word. We can all take comfort from the book of Revelation, knowing what our future is. We know where we will be spending eternity. We also know our Lord will triumph over evil. As the hymnist says

• 1 month later...

Countries that have strong majority of Islamic beliefs and traditions such as Indonesia, Malaysia, the Middle East; countries that have strong Buddhist influence and also due to the political parties such as Thailand, Myanmar, Vietnam, China, Tibet. Mainly the asian and asian minor countries because the level of education is lower, quality of life is lower and strong political opposition to christian missionaries.

The Book of Revelation is God's promises of rewards to those who are persecuted and face tribulations. It is this that keeps us going.

• 1 month later...

* In North Korea they send all Christians to concentration camps.

* In China only some denominations are allowed - with the result that many Christians are send to jail.

* In many Muslim countries, Muslims are forbidden to convert to another religion. If they become Christian they run the risk of losing their lives or to be thrown in jail. The native Christians are discriminated.

For those Christians it

• 3 weeks later...

There is persecution all around the world. Some of it is less visible than other. Even in our own towns and cities there is persecution. It may be disguised as some thing else, but it is there. Reading Revelation will give the persecuted hope and assurance that the end is worth the trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

I know many in the Middle East nations and China are countries who imprison and kill Christians for their faith. Revelation promises a place with Him in Heaven (eternal life) for those who endure to the end.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many countries today that Christians are experiencing tribulation and persecution for their faith in Christ Jesus - countries that may yet be under communist leadership as well as countries that are under Islamic leadership.

The Book of Revelation can be a comfort to them by showing then that victory awaits them even though they may be presently going through. . . God is faithful to the promises He has given to those who walk in true fellowship with Him - He has not abandoned them - He will take them through this period of tribulation and persecution - He will stand by them - and provide for them greater things in the life to come. . . Romans 8:18 (KJV)

18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

B)

• 1 month later...

Quesions:Q3. In what countries are Christians presently experiencing tribulation or persecution for the faith? How can the Book of Revelation be a comfort and encouragement to them?

Answers:Just yesterday I read in Singapore newspaper(mypaper tuesday september 14,2010,page A8)

JAKARTA HUNTS ATTACKERS IN RELIGIOUS DISPUTE-

Indonesia's President has ordered police to hunt down assailants who stabbed a CHRISTIAN worshipper in the stomach and beat a MINISTER on the head with wooden plank as they headed to prayers.Suspicion for Sunday's attacks has fallen on Islamic hardliners who repeatedly told members of the BATAK CHRISTIAN PROTESTANT CHURCH not to worship on a field housing their now shuttered chhurch-AP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just one of the reported cases,and I believe there are thousands of occurence everyday,whereby Christians are persecuted because of their Faith.Indonesia,Arab countries,China,India,just to name a few..There are always opposition in the spreading of the WORD of GOD.

Truly the message of revelation,will bring comfort and assurance to these saints and servants to HOLD ON TO THEIR FAITH.The enemy will not attack you,if you are not effective in following God's commision,"TO PREACH AMONG THE NATIONS"..A consolation that if you are attacked in whatever way,then you can smile and say"thank you Lord I am effective".,for the evil is not after you but He is after the WORD not to be spoken and understood and giving Christian,leverage over him(evil)once the WORD OF GOD becomes alive in their heart.

Look at Mark chapter 4,verse 17... And have no root in themselves , and so endure but for a time : afterward , when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake , immediately they are offended .

If you notice,the word....FOR THE WORD'S SAKE...in this parable of the sower,the affliction and persecution suffered by the Christian are not really directed at them,but to the WORD of GOD..so that it will not give fruit,or bear fruit in believers heart.Because when the WORD becomes alive then the evil has no dominion over them,and when a Christian start casting down the stronghold of satan,he can do nothing but flee,for he also believes God ..AND TREMBLED in FEAR.(JAMES 2:19-...:the devils also believe , and tremble.

Whatever is revealed to us by GOD in the BIBLE is for us,including the book of revelation. (Deuteronomy 29:29- The secret things belong unto the LORD our God : but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever , that we may do all the words of this law )..we should strive,and pray for the enlightment of the Holy Spirit and take ownership of every promises that our LORD GOD has given to us IN CHRIST JESUS.

• 2 weeks later...

Christians in every country across the globe experience tribulation and persecution, some more than others. Revelation calls for the perseverance and determination to stand firm for the Promise. Revelation embodies all the hope Jesus gave us in the New Testament through His teachings and life example - how to live strong during adversity and to live a life filled with joy because of it.

Persecution exists in all the world even in america and britain for instance when I became a christian in 1985 I suffered persecution at work, they called it fun but I knew better, they even put a clay crown on my head in what they said was fun, but I felt unworthy of it so I took it off.

This however did not put me off talking about my faith indeed I did it every oportunity, also I heard god speak to me in an audible voice and say persecution or something similar and took it to mean you will suffer persecution in my name.

In revelation we are encouraged by knowing that god has everything under his control and is part of his master plan so to speak to rid the earth of all evil and come into fellowship with him for the rest of eternity. :)

Slowly but surely our religous freedoms are being taken away from us here in the USA. But mainly the countries of the third world, asia, Iran, and those countries are being hit by trials and tribulation.

The Book of Revelation can be an encouragment because it explains that the longer and stonger your faith is in God and Jesus the better you will be in the end. Keep on keeping the faith. It tells them of the rewards they will get and the new world that will come to be.

In communist regimes, India,South East Asia, Middle East, Africa, parts of Europe and South America (Columbia) basically all over the world there seems to be a move towards this trend even if it might not be as drastic as torture or murder.

The book of revelation is prophetic and reminds us that this is inevitable! Paul alluded to this suffering in his letter to the Philippians (3:10),

• 5 weeks later...

Iran,samolia,maldives,bhutan,yemen,vietnam,north korea,saudi arabia,laos and china just to name a few countries that persecute christians today. The book of revelations provides comfort, assurance and courage. It also promises salvation and final victory to true believers.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that Christians every where are experiencing some level of persecution. I deal a lot with young people so my answer will come from that arena. Our young people that are still in school are facing persecution on a daily bases. They are being harassed, picked on, bullied, and worst part about this is, it's not only coming from their peers its coming from those that should be protecting them. No prayer in school, no ten commandments in school and now don't even mention the name "Jesus" in school. Not only are our children being harassed, bullied etc...they are being killed because they believe in God. This is not a surprise to me, the Word of God tells us these things will happen. But our hope is in Christ our salvation. The joy of the Lord is our strength. Our encouragement comes from knowing that one day all of this will end and we will spend eternity with our Lord. And until then we are the light in a dark world..so lets shine brightly even in the middle of persecution.

Christians are presently experiencing tribulation and persecution in Asian. Latin American, and Middle Eastern countries. The book of Revelation can be a source of comfort and encouragement to them in that the Words therein show that tribulation and persecution are even to be expected in the world ruled by Satan. Paul states in 2 Corinthians 4:16 -17 that for the glory of God "we faint not, but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory." Here is exhorting to measure everything, including persecution, against eternity. In 2 Cor 5:1 he states, in the same spirit, "For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." If we think of our mortal life, and consider the enemy, in terms of spiritual warfare, this makes sense. Atrocities big and small reign. The world, the darkness of hearts given over to the sins of the world, from a deceitful tongue to genocide, is evil overwhelming. Every sin is a persecution of Christ. Keep your eye on eternity, Paul encourages in 2 Cor 5:8, "We are confident...and willing ...to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."

The book of Revelation is a dream vision of these truths, showing the apocalyptical punishment of those who, given over to sin, refuse the light despite constant invitation into it. See Isaiah 55:7 "let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts, and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him;and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon." Those who (re)turn to the Lord are blessed even in tribulation and persecution, for they walk, turning to the left nor to the right, into the holy city of God.

Revelation gives comfort to them by giving a promise of reward for those who overcome.