JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Refining Faith

4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

One situation which God used to refine and purify my faith happened about seven years ago.  Here it is:

As a new member in a rural community and looking to be an active member in a local church, I blindly walked into and became a member of a church where human ego and organizational politics/behavior trumped the movement of the Holy Spirit creating divisions which caused others as well as myself pain and sorrow for this particular church  It is the kind of church where when first enter the congregation it is all smiles, hand shakes, and sweetness.  But when you become a member it changes.  Tithe, shut up and follow the leadership or get out.  Don't mention community outreach or ministries because it took resources away the church facility or church tea.

This church had a mean and isolated spirit.  The core of this congregation conducted the affairs of the church as well as themselves like the mob. The church was ran, operated, and staffed by the members of the Masons.  The church existed within its four walls and if you did not get on board with their agenda they would seek to destroy those who didn't agree with them within the church and outside of the church if necessary.  Cutting the church lawn was considered being on mission for God. The bottom line was shut up or get out.  Their main agenda and work was/is to maintain the church structure and grounds.  I had never been in a church environment quite like this and wasn't prepared for it.  The church had factions like political parties and acted like it.

The spirit of the church was mean and greedy -- brutal.  In fact Galatians 5:15 pretty sums it up:  "If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other."  This church did destroy each other.  The church has a long history of church splits continuing to date.  The church has a constant turnover in the pastorate.  They can't keep a pastor.

I was a member of that church for two years.  It was rough, but very rewarding.  It marked a growth in my reliance upon God in serving him and others in an  atmosphere of hatred, slander, and verbal assault.  As a result God taught me to listen, wait and rely on him; to love others no matter what their actions were, to wait on His call to move; to let God fight the spiritual battle (to hold my tongue and wait on Him); and to understand that when serving Him He will take care of me.  Just do my part regardless of the operating environment.  My holding my tongue and not reacting to provocation, creating a bigger problem, it would allow God to address the issues and He did.  Showing love and patience did glorify the Lord and was a witness for Jesus.

Like Joseph, it seems that sometimes people mean evil for you but God is using those same situations for your good.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

I have many memories of my faith walk being stretched and having to lean on God because I had no answer, no resolution or no way out of a situation. And with every situation God has been faithful. The situations haven't always been the answers that I wanted, but I choose to believe that God's plan is better than any plan I could try to accomplish when the trials and temptations hit.

Right now I am facing a tribulation. I don't know how I would make it through this without God. I anguished over it so much,  I have had to let God and trust God that He has a good plan for my life, and that I will be alright regardless of the twists and turns of life. I was so angry and hurt in the beginning. However because I don't want that anger to become a root of bitterness, I had to choose to walk with God. Every day is a new day in Christ. And He is proving to be my provider, and the source of my strength. I believe God is glorified by the joy that He gives me. Those that know my personal trial, are going to witness the restoration and victory God is going to bring in my life, and witness the greater path that He will put me on.

We must live for God to be glorified through our pain. Its not easy in the natural, but we can do ALL things through Christ whom strengthens us!

Amen

• 1 month later...

My faith has been tested so many times but one that happened just recently stands out. I'm a Marine who is on SSI until my veterans disability comes through. I had a reevaluation coming up in last November. I really had to trust God that everything would be ok. I really didn't do to well during this test because I fretted way to much. As I contacted Social Security to get a evaluation date they told me that I didn't have to take one.This is one of those times when I look back and see how God really took care of me

. I would think that when I choose to trust God no matter what happens is when Jesus would get great glory.

• 1 month later...

Trust me God will use difficult circumstances to refine and purify our obedience. Three years ago I was having a difficult time when my mother passed away and I prayed day and night for his help to get me through because God can do all things, well one morning I woke up and couldn't breathe before I went unconscious my brother call the ambulance. He said I fell back on my legs he throughout I broke them. The only thing I heard was the ambulance attendant saying we're losing her. I was on this breathing machine, when my spirit went back into my body was three days later. From that day on my faith in my creator grew more and more because showed me that she had no pain she in my arms. I wasn't afraid to die because you know nothing at all. So I fill that Christ gave me a little taste of death, and then rose me back up three days later and I didn't have to have the machin breathing for me. Believe me GOD sure show me that He is real. That instant say with me and I was pray for obedience. God could have let me died but He wanted to show me that He GOD. I can't live without Him because He loves me so. much.

• 5 months later...

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

Difficult circumstances that I can remember is that of learning that everything we have is not from our own effort, but that the things come from God himself. Learning to appreciate that the Lord gives us money, we should give back to him for the furtherance of the gospel and pay for the expenses of our church. In turn he gives me more, but he is not a slot machine that we use to gamble with. In sincerity he gives to us and we give back to him. Learning this gift of God can take a long time, especially if one is used to doing everything for himself and family.

What God has accomplished in my life that he has paid the price for my salvation and eternal life. This is the gift of mercy that is indeed hard at times to grasp. I never really understood why God the Father would love us enough to sacrifice his only son for us, but once filled with the Holy Spirit, he showed me how much he loved everyone on earth. This love is so pure and sincere, if everyone on earth could realize or experience this love, they would fall on their faces and worship God.

Genuine tested faith brings glory to Jesus, because after we have gone through trails and temptations for him, we have learned that the Son of God, Jesus, has through faith brought us forth from worldly things to the joy of total reliance on him. This brings joy to Christ who in turn presents us to the Father, we are better than refined gold, we have brought glory to Jesus and God the Father.        

• 1 month later...

Q-4   When my wife had her second hip replaced and for some reason every thing went wrong and she got a infection that that like to have carried her out[ and would have if it was not for GOD grace and mercy] and when she said that she were ready to die and seeing her suffering is when I knew that we had to put our trust in God and let him take control. God let us know that   this was not a time to give up  he had others plans for her, It help the both of us to realize that there was a GOD and we must put our trust and faith in him and be obedient to what ever he has in store for us,

Q-4   When my wife had her second hip replaced and for some reason every thing went wrong and she got a infection that that like to have carried her out[ and would have if it was not for GOD grace and mercy] and when she said that she were ready to die and seeing her suffering is when I knew that we had to put our trust in God and let him take control. God let us know that   this was not a time to give up  he had others plans for her, It help the both of us to realize that there was a GOD and we must put our trust and faith in him and be obedient to what ever he has in store for us,

• 4 months later...

Yes, a few years ago as my father-in-law lay dying in a hospital bed, he kept hanging on for some reason.  When our minister finally arrived we joined hands in prayer and asked God to open the door to him and at that very moment he passed peacefully.  God, it seemed, was waiting for all of us to be together one last time and when we asked, He delivered immediately.

As with everyone I suppose, my life has been a series of ups and downs.  Through it all, God has always been with me, even in the times when I didn’t really want Him there.  He has seen me through my early years growing up with an alcoholic father, he brought me safely through the Vietnam War and the evils of the subsequent drug and alcohol problems.  He saw me through a failed marriage (adultery not of my doing) and saw to it that I would receive full custody of my two children.  Today I have a loving wife, 5 beautiful children, 10 grandchildren and 1 great-granddaughter.  I’m retired and spend most of my free time in bible study (like this one) or working at the church where I’m currently serving as one of three elders.  God has been very good to me indeed!   “He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord” (1 Cor. 1:8-9).

Jesus was God in the flesh.  He didn't live out His life for His own glory, instead he spent every single day of His life to honor, praise and please His Heavenly Father.  But, we are not “God in the flesh”, we are flawed human beings.  In our humanity, everything we do is in one way or another flawed and/or imperfect and the imperfections that we are most acutely sensitive to are usually our own.  That being the case, we must constantly strive to glorify Christ Jesus in the way we choose to live our lives.  If we live a righteous, faithful life, through His grace we will find ourselves in a relationship with God that will truly honor and glorify His Son, Jesus Christ.

• 5 months later...

Yes God has used a number of difficult circumstances to refine and purify my faith.

Work issues i.e., difficulties caused to some extent by my own stubbornness, lack of discipline, and lack of openness to others, have tripped me up.  Blindness to our own faults and pride can get in the way. God knocks the rough edges off our lives via these tests and we become more refined.

Relationship issues; our relationship with family members and spouses are affected by the same factors as those mentioned above.  Difficulties with children as they reach teenage years can break and soften us and cause us to seek God. We begin to understand our own hearts and how desperately need God’s Word and power working in our lives.

Difficulties with church life when things implode and leaders fail it is devastating, numbing, and can severely test us. Personally I have found that these situations have ultimately driven us to study the Word of God with greater intensity and to grow in faith.  These situations also lead us to pray for one another and particularly for leaders.

Trials – rejoice!  God uses trials to demonstrate our tested faith, our purified lives, and our love for Him. Also the Holy Spirit comforts us.

Temptation – Don’t be caught off guard by this - the Lord intercedes for us!

Our faith grows when we encounter circumstances that push us out of our comfort zone and force us to rely on God.  Trials or tests of our faith are God’s way of forming Christ in us. Without them we would remain spiritual babies; with them we grow into the full stature of Christ (Ephesians 4:13). So we can endure these trials and the grief that they bring, because we look beyond them and see God’s purpose for us.

God used testing circumstances to bring me to faith. This challenging time helped me to become a much better person and develop my spirituality, leading me to have faith for the first time in my life. Nothing has been the same (and most things are very much better) since I began to have fellowship with God. None of this has changed me much outwardly, as I have never been much into sin (I'm too boring to do much wrong :)), but it has totally changed the way I think, interact with other people and especially how I view the future. I used to worry a lot about the future, now I am happy to just wait and see what God has in store for me.

20 hours ago, David from NZ said:

God used testing circumstances to bring me to faith. This challenging time helped me to become a much better person and develop my spirituality, leading me to have faith for the first time in my life. Nothing has been the same (and most things are very much better) since I began to have fellowship with God. None of this has changed me much outwardly, as I have never been much into sin (I'm too boring to do much wrong :)), but it has totally changed the way I think, interact with other people and especially how I view the future. I used to worry a lot about the future, now I am happy to just wait and see what God has in store for me.

Hi David - really great to share with you last night.  Your testimony is so refreshing. Blessings Neil

• 6 months later...
On 1/23/2004 at 2:15 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

In my difficult circumstances to refine and purify my faith. God accomplished many things that brings glories and honours to Jesus Christ. I now does things patience even in my response to people and things, I overcame anger by enduring people hardship. I believed and teach people that with patience and endurance all things are possible to those that believe and trust God. During this period many of my colleagues thought it is over even my family because I came from Muslim background, but to the glory and honour to the Lord Jesus Christ I overcame and became stronger in faith and encourage others in having faith Jesus Christ. 

After experiencing congested heart failure for the 3rd time, I had gotten behind in my rent.  I paid astronomical late fees each month for 4 months.  On the day that I was scheduled to move in to my new apartment, I was informed that my previous property manager had indicated on the report that I was evicted and refuse to change the report.  With the eviction listed on the report, I could not rent an apartment at the new property.  Please note that I cried out to God because the burden of paying the late fees were too stressful for me to handle.  I heard the Holy Spirit say to me why are you paying such high late fees, move out.  Break your lease and move.  So I did exactly that.  I informed the property manager that I was breaking my lease and the date that I was leaving.  No notification was given to me regarding an eviction  The only thing that the property manager and myself agreed upon was the payment of late fees on a date that exceeded my moving date.   However, on the day that I was scheduled to move, with all my furniture loaded onto the truck and we were all set to go.  I can't remember why, but I called the new property manager and  I was given this shattering news.  I paid the movers and asked them to go to lunch for one hour and to come back, I'll be ready then.  I went into my empty bedroom, kneel before my God and prayed.  I don't remember everything that was exactly  said but I do remember saying that I knew that He did not bring this far to leave me.   I remember telling God how much  I believe and trusted in Him and I knew He could do all things but fail. I told Him that I needed for Him to intercede on my behalf right now.  I  prayed with tears in my eyes from the depth of my heart.  I remember after praying, He told me to call the property manager of the new place and I did.  She told me that we will work it out.  To come on and move in. 

All glory is given to Jesus because had He not done what He did, I would have been homeless and broke.  No money and no place to stay.  I could not afford storage, I could not afford to stay in a hotel and I did not trust that my family will give me a place to stay.  My family and friends were in Chicago and I was in Indiana and with the short notice, I could not contact my church for support.  But look at Jesus, my savior, my Lord, my God who answers all my prayers.

I did pay the amount owed to the previous property manager.  I hope that each of movers realize that they were witnessing a miracle of the Lord take place.  I will never forget it.   

I was in places where I thought that I would come to nothing in this world, I was in places where I thought that I could escape only through death, mostly my own, I was in a situation where all the world thought I was guilty when I was innocent. But thanks be to God, He rescued me a couple of times and in the last  time I held on to Him. I learnt the meaning of "His grace is sufficient", I learnt patience and forgiveness and I developed zeal for His house. Since that last time I try not to live by bread alone, but by every inspired word.

Genuine tested faith first of all proves that Christ is real, His word and promises are true, without His guarantee we would have no hope in this life. When we do the things that we're considered impossible, difficult or costly in terms of times and resources, we have no choice but to attribute them to divine intervention, that is Christ

On 1/23/2004 at 2:15 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes I can remember several instances God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify my faith especially in my former office, in the ministry as a minister. 

What God really accomplished in my is salvation of my soul, He made me more committed and love Him more.

Genuine tested faith brings glory to Jesus because it refined and purify faith so that I can trust Him, give Him praises and glorify in always.

(1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

Yes, I can.  God made me realize that all the worrying that I did was not going to change the outcome of my situation.  Generally, in the end things worked out and I had to say to myself "what was I doing all that worrying for?".  My faith became much stronger.  Our faith is strengthen and we show that my giving Him all the praise, glory and honor.

I can remember a time when God used difficult circumstances to refine and purity my faith. This happens when I go out on mission trips. There seems to always be situations that test my faith. God has made me a more compassionate person. When these situations were resolved it always brings glory to God.

Death. When my husband passed away, I swore I could hear him (my husband) whispering words of comfort. I remember one night of hitting my bed and screaming, why, what was I going to do, how was I going to make it without him? I have MS, was in a wheelchair and could only think of myself. I remember a calmness came over me like I never knew. After it left me, all I wanted was to know about God. I could not read enough, ask enough, or listen enough, I could not be satisfied. I enrolled in college taking religion as my major. I learned so much and was astonished at how little, professing Christians knew about the Bible, God, Christianity, etc. I began to attend bible studies, and soon was leading others to attend. I was told, by a church member, how my faith expired her to hear God’s Word. Years later, I have back-slid but I still have that powerful need to know Him, which began in 2007. Presently, I have found a woman that takes great care of me and her brother, with MD. I have recently moved to be closer to both. I can once again lead people to hear His Words. It is God’s design for us to face trials all day long to be molded into His image. By this molding, I have learned the purer and refined the gold of our faith becomes, the more clearly his beauty and worth will be reflected when he returns.

Well, right now I am recovering from blood clots in my lungs.  Been in the hospital five days and now at home with the Visiting Nurses and can't do much.  I happen to be the founder and president of Anajali Ministries and have been doing this for 10 years.  I work with a school in the Kibera Slum of Nairobi, Kenya, which is a Christian school that takes children too poor to attend public school because of the constraint of fees.  Since beginning this work in 2007, I have made 20 trips to Kenya taking teams with me to work at the school with the children.  The school started in 2000 with seven students.  When I saw it in 2007, There were about 300 students and the teachers had not been paid in 6 months because of no money.   They were considering closing.  God led me to start this mission and now there are over 600 students and 25 staff and faculty.  God has provided so that the teachers have been paid every month since then.  I tell you all this because I have not been able to do anything since having these blood clots.  I will be 75 in a couple of months.  I think God is trying to tell me that I need to step back and have others help take the reigns so that when I pass on to be with Jesus, the work to help these children will continue.  If any one wants to check out what I do, www.hecareskenya.org is the Anajali website.  Maybe I will return to the health I had before all this happened to me.  However, if I  don't, that is okay because I know Jesus and I know that these present trials have come "so that my faith, of greater worth than gold which perishes eventhough refined by fire, may be proven genuine and may result in praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."

Yes.  Last year I was diagnosed with a lump in my breast and had to have surgery.   There was a period of fear but prayers can alleviate that.  I learned that God was the only one who can heal our bodies.    We have to have steadfast faith in the power of the Lord.

There is much worldly pressure on our faith.  This pressure helps to refine, strengthen and prove that one’s faith is genuine.  When our faith stands the test, we are protected by God’s power and this results in our glory and honor at Jesus’ return.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2004 at 6:15 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Yes, definitely...in fact the trials and testing's have never ceased! Shortly after I became a believer, the Lord gave me several promises....the first was in 1979 and the second was in 1988. Both are still unfulfilled, but He has reaffirmed them a number of times. The long wait has been imparting patience and perseverance in my character. There have been many tears of frustration and times of wavering faith, some anger and frustration, but all has worked together for my good (and those around me) and His glory. His faithfulness  and His constant goodness and tender loving care and provision is my testimony through all of the years of waiting. (though sometimes impatiently) Another aspect of waiting and being tested is the teaching He has been doing. I've learned that there are seasons of being "set aside" to rest and reflect and to receive impartation from Him. I've learned that like Joseph who waited and served in spite of his trials,  "iron" entered into his soul" until that which God promised came to pass."  That "iron" is the Lord's strength which alone sustains us. The thing I love the most, is that He's changed me...and I love Him more than I ever imagined, and know that He loves me more than I could ever ask or think...perfectly and unconditionally enough to allow me to suffer in order to become more like Him.

2. Genuine and tested faith is just that...it's no longer theory or a memorized verse of what can and will be eventually....it's based on fact and experience. The ability to share that experience not only encourages others but honors God's integrity and faithfulness...which is WHO HE IS!

I was paralyzed in a car wreck and this began a long journey of me facing life with physical disablilities and limitations. So i went through stages of grief and became an alcoholic

and drug addict..finally i cried out to the Lord for help and salvation and He saved me..What God accomplished in my life was i became genuinely saved through these difficult 

circumstances..Genuine tested faith bring glory to Christ because it involves suffering in a small way the way Jesus suffered..and the Lord says in Peter "i have suffered now

follow in My footsteps"..so it shows we are following Christ when things are difficult and not when its easy and anyone can give lip service when life is easy

Q4. (1:6-7) 
Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? 
What did God accomplish in your life? 
How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

This happened many times when I was younger, and in business. However, I did not at that time, have a personal relationship with our Lord. I knew of Him and that was all. I would battle on my own; not knowing help was nearby – all I had to do was hand over to Jesus. Little did I know that He was refining me, and preparing me to grow in faith and drawing me closer to Him. When these difficult times come it is easy to become disheartened, and it is only on reflecting back to these trials, did I see that He was always there for me, and that I came out of these a better person and much closer to the Lord - He taught me endurance. Our Heavenly Father also used these hardships as a refining fire to purify His children – bringing me to greater spiritual maturity. Once I realized that God brings benefit from our adversities, did I begin to face challenging times with the confidence that He always has my best interest in mind. I could then rejoice in the fact that He is building my endurance, purifying my heart, and teaching me to trust Him and acknowledge Him in all things. I now know He has a plan for each believer, and hardship is one of the necessary tools that prepare us to do His will. In the process, we will find that our faith has been strengthened. I can only thank Jesus for these and for seeing me through them.

Our suffering in this life is only temporary, being an inconvenience, that God in His grace, allows us to endure for our ultimate benefit. But we should not be focusing upon our suffering, trials, and temptations. Instead we should realize that our perseverance, and our tested and refined faith makes us more like our Lord Jesus. This strength and genuineness of our faith will bring praise, honour, and glory to Christ when He comes again to reign as King of kings and Lord of lords. 

1. Yes,When my son was in prison and needed a place to stay in Texas after his release, God provided a decent home and a nice lady to let him live with.I live in Louisiana and he had to live in Texas where he got in trouble at.

2. He accomplished making me strong to hold on and believing that he would take care of me. Also,letting others see me as a Godly example.He accomplished an increase in my faith and forming him inside of me.

3. It brings worship, honor, praise, and glory to Jesus.It brings us closer to him.