JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Value

Q4. (1:18-19) Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?

I have always thought of myself as having no personal value. To God, what could my sinful existence be toward him.

1 Peter 18-19 says that my worth meant a lot to God, that he would send his only Son to take upon himself my sinful punishment.

Though I can not imagine how much my worth be to God, his love for me is unimaginable. Not being able to gain heaven on my own, God sent his Son to redeem me from this sinful life and bring me, yes me, into eternal life with God.

My monetary worth here on earth has no value for me in heaven, financial assets on earth can have no value in the future life with God. Financial assets on earth deteriorate and blow away, but Gods work of redemption is forever.

Long term investments in this present life is to live a life of obedience to God, declaring the gospel to others so I and they can store up treasures in heaven.

The reason why I would want to store up treasures in heaven is because in heaven our reward last forever. Treasures on earth are only temporal and will have nothing to do with gaining eternal life.     

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1:18-19) Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value?

Yes, I have.

What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth?

That I was worth God's very best, His own Son, who died and shed His blood for my sins on the cross.

What does it say about God's love for you?

That His love for me is really beyond my comprehension, my understanding of what love is.

38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets?

They are worthless compared to knowing Christ as Lord and Savior.
But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord Philippians 3:7-8

What are your true long-term investments? Why? 

Knowing Christ and knowing His purposes for my life. Because God assures me in His Word that these things, above all others, are worth pursuing; and that all other pursuits take me away from Him.          

• 4 months later...

Q4. (1:18-19) Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?

Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value?  No, I don’t believe so.

What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth?  As we were redeemed by the blood of Christ Jesus our lives are invaluable.  Paul wrote to the Galatians, It is written, “Anyone who hangs on a cross is hated and punished.” Because of the price Christ Jesus paid, the good things that came to Abraham might come to the people who are not Jews. And by putting our trust in Christ, we receive the Holy Spirit He has promised.” 

What does it say about God's love for you?  The ultimate affirmation of His love for humanity is in His son, Jesus Christ.  Offering all of humanity the opportunity to become sons and daughters in His eternal family is His blue print for our salvation.  I believe that says a lot about His love.

What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?  God’s ultimate purpose for creating us is to provide us all with the hope and expectation of becoming heirs in His heavenly kingdom with Christ Jesus.  Balance sheet and assets seems like an odd way of putting it but… A balance sheet is generally comprised of both long and short-term investments.  My short term investment is in keeping to His word and living the holiest life that I possibly can.  That short-term investment will roll over into my long-term investment which is eternity with the Father.

• 6 months later...

Q4 1 Peter 1.18-19   

[18] For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, [19] but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.

• Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?  We were purchased by God using a currency of inestimable worth!  The precious blood of Jesus! God loves us with an everlasting love! We are completely without debt of any kind except love. 

• 6 months later...

It's  superbly put  in the Hill Song Worship  song, "My wealth is in the cross". Our investment lies entirely in our saviour's sacrifice. With this investment, I have hope to face everything and anything in this life knowing that my investment is imperishable and the glory of which will be revealed at the opportune time.

I Often feel at a disadvantage when compared to colleagues- on a social and intellectual level. However I do find confidence in God's promises and find acceptance in my family group.

EVen on this forum is a daunting skill with spiritual words. Jesus was interested in all levels of the ladder, right to the bottom!

On 1/30/2004 at 6:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1 Peter 1:18-19, say I am worthless without the precious blood of Jesus Christ but with the blood of Jesus Christ I am worthy more than anything  in this world. 

1 Peter 1:18-19 tells me how precious and important I am in the sight of God and God concerns over all His creation. This indicates that with the blood of Jesus Christ I have a long-term value of balance sheet and financial assets with God my creator now and beyond. 
My true long-term investments is everlasting life with Jesus Christ and the Father, because Jesus Christ is the Messiah and God anointed Saviour and only begotten Son of God and  that His blood is precious and valuable in the presence of His Father

Two things make me feel like I'm worth nothing, when I let my old self visit and when I feel like everybody else seems to be right and I am wrong and self righteous.; those are my thorns in my side. I still go through the motion of asking God to help me with this and also the motions of confessing my sins since I even, knows His grace is sufficient. When I think of how much grace I have accessed, it boggles my mind. But I often tell people as long as you are alive don't be burdened by old sins, they really slow you down, confess nyour sins every day for the minimum, you don't know how many times you sin each day and you don't want the time between confessing and the second coming to be too long or you may find your body not ascending. Well I've never said it that way but I always tell them use the grace, God will know our battle and whether you are sinning so that grace may abound

Before Christ, I felt worthless. Always comparing myself to others and falling way short. All my childhood memories were of people calling me worthless. No good. After becoming a Christian, I struggled to accept the fact that Jesus really cared about me, of the so many people out there He could think of me. As I matured in my Christian walk, I understood what the sacrifice He made on the cross meant for me. I got to know Jesus personally and now I have an indescribable joy knowing I belong to Him. He loves me. I am His and He is mine. I strive to build treasures in heaven as now I know my citizenship is not here but in heaven. Though I still struggle to share myself with others(I tend to keep to myself), I lean on God to help me reach out to others in the same love He has showered me with.  I invest in teaching teens and children about God and His plan for salvation, in praying and interceding for others, and overall in pleasing God.  

On 1/30/2004 at 10:39 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Yes, for my entire life until age 30 when someone shared the Gospel with me, I said "Yes" and was born again and my entire paradigm shifted! He (and I ) have spent considerable years (77) healing the abuse, neglect and emotional pain from childhood,( and being told I was no good)  teaching me, showing me, renewing my mind with His Word,   that I am His beloved and precious, greatly valued daughter!

2. I am worth the inestimably precious blood of Jesus which was shed for me!

3. It says He sacrificed His only beloved Son for me....and would have done if I was the only person on earth!

4. Silver and gold and other corruptible assets have no eternal value. "Only one life, t'will soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last."  Christ in me, the hope of Glory!

5. The only investments having eternal value are those the Holy Spirit "works" or performs through me here on earth. My works or accomplishments done in the flesh apart from the Holy Spirit are called "wood, hay and stubble" and will be burned to ash when tested. "I Corinthians 3:13 The work of each will become plainly, openly known (shown for what it is) for the Day of Christ  will disclose and declare it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test and critically appraise the character and worth of the work each person has done." 

V14: If the work which any person has built on this Foundation survives this test he will get his reward. V15: But if any person's work is burned up under the test he will suffer the loss of it all, losing his reward, though he himself will be saved, but only as one who has passed through fire."

6. The "why" is that when I am face to face with my precious Lord and my works are tested I don't want to be ashamed and empty handed due to "doing my own thing" while here on earth, which is the only time we can store up treasure in Heaven. When I first read those verses as a new believer I remember praying "Lord, do whatever is needed in my life so that on that day there will be value in what was accomplished through my time here on earth."  I want there to be no regrets over how my life was lived. (That's not to say that I don't make mistakes or sin...but those are under the blood and are not what this verse is referring to.)

On 1/30/2004 at 6:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1 Peter 1:18-19, say I am worthless without the precious blood of Jesus Christ but with the precious blood of Jesus Christ I am worthy more than anything  in this world. 

1 Peter 1:18-19 tells me how precious and important I am in the sight of God and His concerns over all His creation (John 3:16). God's love and the precious blood of Jesus Christ indicates that I have a long-term value of balance sheet and financial assets with God my creator now and beyond. 
My true long-term investments is everlasting life with Jesus Christ and the Father, because Jesus Christ is the Messiah and God anointed Saviour and only begotten Son of God and  that His blood is precious and valuable in the presence of His Father

(1:18-19) Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?

Yes!  Our worth is more than silver and gold.   God's love is so strong for us that he allowed his Son to pay the price for our sins.  Long-term value of my balance sheet and financial assets will not last forever.  True long-term investments is living my life the way God has commanded. This is assurance of living eternity with Him.   

Q4. (1:18-19)

Q. Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value?

A. No. But I at times feel that some of my outputs or services are good enough

Q. What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth?

A. I am so important to God that He bought me back from my sinful ways, from being held by prince of this world with a high price, the precious blood of the Lord Jesus Christ

Q. What does it say about God's love for you?

A. His love for me and you is so amazing (because of His amazing grace), so great and unimaginable

Q. What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets?

A. So valuable, so much that I can not quantify.

A. My faith, salvation, my works and souls brought to the kingdom of God that will be rewarded with crowns.

When I get bogged down because people don't seek me out or include me in their plans, I sometimes feel less than.  Peter tells me that God gave His son's life for me....the very thought of this erases any doubt I have about my value.  God loves me...He sees me as his.  My assets in this life are the blessings And grace of God, not what I see on a financial statement. 

I believe we all have felt of no value/worth at least once. I let someone who I was close to tell me I was useless and I still feel the sting from those words today. Holiness speaks of how we are wholly owned by God, completely dedicated and consecrated to him. Peter 1”18-19 says we have been redeemed by Jesus’ precious blood. That tells me God sees Jesus’ blood as precious and He used it to cover our sins to have a personal relationship to Him. Although someone may see me as useless, God does not nor will he ever. It also tells me that what the world sees as valuable, God does not. My long-term investment includes my inheritance with Jesus. Why? Because I want to repay God by believing and obeying His Word.

On 1/30/2004 at 1:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Honestly, I struggle deeply with this. I crave the approval of others even though I know I shouldn't. I want to be accepted and appreciated so much that it has affected me deeply. This is very subtle in my life but as I am practicing being more present with God He is revealing this to me and He is helping me through this. I only have to answer to Him. He has redeemed me and I am precious in His sight. I don't have to seek my husband's approval, my kids approval, my boss's approval. I don't have to post beautiful images on social media to get likes. I just need t breathe and let God transform me. 1 Peter says we are precious. I will be meditating on this today. I am precious in His sight. He bought me with the blood of His son! He sacrificed His son for my sins, for me! No amount of money or silver or gold can compare to what He did for me on Calvary. My true long term investments should be in things that matter. Things that will last in eternity. 

On 1/31/2004 at 5:39 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

No value? Never of no value, but of low value at times and God has held me through those times, letting me know He is there and He values me. God almighty values me; how amazing, words cannot describe. He values each one of His children, much loved, so loved.

Loved? He died for us; He is always there for us, to hear our call; we are of of immeasurably more value than gold or silver; we are redeemed through Christ's sacrifice for us; saved from sin and death and into eternal life with Him; seated by His throne, as children of His, our Father; yes, He loves us more than any father I know, an unfathomable love, immeasurable!

Long-term value? God values things of eternal worth and not fleeting things like those on earth; love is of greatest value, love for God and others; but we must first have a love for ourselves, through knowing God loves us and it is through the overflowing of God's love for us that we truly love others. This is of long-term value. Nothing financial, gold, silver, money, worldly assets is of value. God's love for you and your earnest devotion to Him is of value.

Long-term investments? Most valuable is spending time with God, in prayer, in study of His Word, in worship and praise, acknowledging Him in every moment of every day. Yet, look, time loving His people, the lost, the lonely, the destitute, the widows, the orphans, each one of us, is so valuable to God. He desires those who know Him and know of His love to spread His love and His Word to those in need and indeed we are all in need of His love. O Lord this world so broken, each one of Your creation is valuable to You; Lord be with us. This is a great commission, let us join together and march forward hand in hand with our Saviour, to share His message, to spread His love and promises for each one of us. May He shine brightly through us that are called by Him, overflowing in His love. He first loved us! 

On 1/30/2004 at 0:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Feelings of no worth or value are often thoughts that enter thee  mind, but we must remember we have been purchased by the blood of Christ, thus we are of an exceptional value, greater than silver or gold which will decay. 

God's love for us has been before the beginning of time itself. He knew he would have to send his only son to redeem us back to himself. No greater love has anyone than this, to give one's life for us.

our balance sheet has been wiped clean by the blood of Christ. God no longer see's or remembers our sins because we have been washed by the blood of Christ. Our acts will be judged and a reward given to us according to our good deeds.

Our long term investment is to live a holy life and help others come to Christ and do good deeds for God.

We are now God's children, we should and must help spread the gospel, obeying his commands and loving our brothers and sisters, we want to live a holy life as much as possible.    

Q4. (1:18-19) 
Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? 
What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? 
What are your true long-term investments? 
Why? 

Yes, I think that perhaps we all feel this at some stage or other. For me it is, thankfully, usually only a fleeting thought. As soon as I realize the high cost of my salvation, the death of Jesus on the Cross for my sins, that I get an idea of the love God shows for me. It makes me think again about my worth. The value of the ransom paid by the precious blood of Jesus cannot be put in monetary terms – to die for all of us, for our sins of the past, present, and future must be the greatest purchase in history. All who have put their trust in His Son are free forever from the power and penalty of sin. What’s more, His resurrection is our assurance that every promise God has made can be trusted.

For God to have done this shows His love for us. We know from 1 John 4:8 that ‘God is love”. There are various ways in which God loves us, but I think the divine love shown by saving sinners is the Gospel of Christ, the Good News (John 3:16). 

Our balance sheets and financial assets have no long-term value. There is no security in material things as all treasure here on earth can be destroyed or stolen. The only investments not subject to loss are treasures in heaven where they will last for eternity (Matt 6:19-20). There is also the danger that where our treasure is, there will our heart also be. Whereas if our treasures are in heaven, our interests will also be there – we will be more focused on heavenly things. 

Our true long-term investment is the promises our Lord made to us in salvation. It is an inheritance which includes all that the believer will enjoy in heaven for eternity. The inheritance is incorruptible and unspoiled and unfading and reserved for each one of us. In Rev 21:4 we can get a glimpse of our inheritance: “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." We will be spending eternity with our Heavenly Father, everything will be made new, there will be no night there, because the eternal light of the Lamb will fill the new heaven and new earth and shine upon all the heirs of God. 

Q4. Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? 
- Never. I know my worth in Christ. 

What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? 
- My worth is the value of the blood of the Lamb. When God redeemed me with Christ's blood that means He loves me more than I'll ever know, a love that cannot be measured nor comprehend. 

- That means I'm eternally wealthy in Christ, for in Him I'm an equal heir of the kingdom of God. 

- My true long term investments are things pertaining to my soul because those are the worthy investments, where moths and rust can't destroy and thieves can't steal. 

Q4. (1:18-19) Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value?

i absolutely have and still do.

That i am valuable and worthy in God's sight.

God loves me so much that He gave is only Son to die for me.

Balance sheets and financial assets are worldly things we cannot take it with us. 

Living as God teaches us through His word and having internal salvation.

Q4. (1:18-19) Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?

1. Yes! I felt of no value or worth for Jesus.

2. I know that I was not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.

3. He loved me so much that he allowed me to be redeemed with his son’s precious blood.

4. The blood of Jesus is my purchase price.

5. The Lamb's blood that is so "precious" or valuable allowing me to have salvation and live with God eternally. 

6. This Lamb is the Messiah, the God-anointed Savior, who is the Son of God himself! I have life through Jesus dying for me to be redeemed.

Yes i have felt of no value or no worth in many situations. Peter says an actually priceless and was not merely bought but a great price was paid for me to be redeemed.It indicates no losses in it. My true longtime investment is to love God, serve him with all my family so that one day we shall see him and live with him.