JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Doing a Good Job for Employers

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

God expects us to give our best at whatever we do.We are ambassadors of Christ on the earth; we represent Him. So, when our work is always incomplete or we are late all the time, it is a bad reflection on the One whom we say we serve and love.God wants us to work as doing it for Him, and not for people.Recently, I was sharing how discouraged I had become with selfish, ungrateful christians that I know or observe.My friend told me I needed to do whatever I do as unto the Lord and not unto man. That has helped me to overcome that discouragement because I know now that God is going to reward me for being faithful to Him.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job?

Doing a good job that would get God's approval, require of us that we submit ourselves to our employers and respect them, whether they are Christians or not.

In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

We dishonor God when we give our effort to our jobs beyond that which we give in service to God and His Kingdom.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

God has appointed civil authorities to govern our society, my employer is part of the network.

When I submit to his authority and instruction I bring honour to the business. My employer notices the deeds I perform as a result of Christ at work in me - Christ at work in me reflects and brings glory to God the Father (I Peter 2 vs 12)

God expects us to fulfill our obligation as to the best of our abilities despite the disposition of our employer; offering him respect at all times UNLESS he is doing that which is unlawful or against out Christian beliefs.

God has worked on our behalf to give us what we need. When He gives us a job suitable for our survival we totally dishonor Him, as our God, if we become rebellious, work insufficiently or give our employer little respect.

• 3 weeks later...

When we submit to our employers and show proper respect we are showing our love of Christ and our willingness to do His will and serve Him with our lives. We dishonor Him when we don't do a good job or honor our emplyers we bring dishonor on ourselves and also on the christian community as a whole.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job?

The answer is in the question here. We ARE expected to do a good job. Even when no one is looking we are to be honest, scrupulous and diligent. When we work unsupervised we need to remember that God is supervising us.

In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

We're being watched all the time by a world which is trying to discredit Christians. By not giving our full effort on the job we're sending the message to our workmates watching us that God doesn't set us high standards.

• 6 months later...

If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job?

God expects us to do our very best while we are on the job. I believe that we honour God when we give our best effort. I believe that when we give our best effort God will bless us. It is not important what the job is unless it is something which is contrary to the word of God. In every job, whether we enjoy it or not respecting our employee and working hard is an act of worship and God is glorified. It also shows your willingness to submit to earthly authority which is also something commanded by God.

When we give a partial effort God is not glorified. Other people at work speak negatively about this behaviour and sometimes refer to the Christian as a slacker and God is not honoured in this. When we don't give our best it we are being dishonest and it may also be seen as unwillingness to surrender to the authority on earth which also places our willingness to submit to God in suspect.

2a)We can please God by showing respect to our employers, obediently carrying out what is asked of us with the maximum level of effect with our full ability to a task.

b)If we don’t give our full effort to a task, we are in effect cheating on God and denying our employer the effort we have been paid for, and dishonouring God and his name. We need to show our distinctiveness with high Godly standards as a Christian with total integrity, and shine in a world when people often try to do the minimum possible.

• 1 year later...

God's expectation is that we do all to His glory.  As Paul wrote:  "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."  I Cor. 10:31 (NKJ).  God desires that the world would see Him in His people.  Therefore glorying Him and leading others into a saving relationship with Him.

We dishonor Him, at least in one major aspect, by disregarding His Word and standards for being a believer.  Out of our love for Him we ought give everything our best.

• 1 year later...

We are expected to obey our employers, and that means we must obey and always respect the Almighty God at all times. He gave us life, food, clothing and a place to live. I understand how hurt God will be with obedience and in His Word it teaches OBEDIENCE!

• 5 months later...

By submitting to our employers and respecting them, we are fulfilling our command to respect all authority. Doing an excellent job for them proves we are followers of Christ and our faith shows we are not doing the job for advancement or eye please'rs.

By being followers of Christ and not giving our full effort in our job shows that we, as an individual are not a sincere follower and our faith is weak. It could even reflect that all Christians are not as moral and responsible as professed.      

• 2 months later...

God expect us to do a great job.

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23-24

We are to always give our work our best effort; because we are truly serving God as we work. Our good work reflects positively on God and brings glory to His name.

• 4 months later...

My answer to an earlier question was that we (Christians) are constantly being watched and judged by our words and our actions.  Because we are, we are defined by our commitment to the work that we do as well.   Disrespect and/or sinful misconduct by others doesn’t justify the same kind of behavior from us in return.  As servants of the Lord, our duty is to Him always so we have an obligation to put forth our best effort in everything we say and do.  In every way, our lives should always serve to honor and glorify Him; not doing so brings our obedience to God into question, but more importantly, disrespect, improper behavior and inappropriate conduct absolutely dishonors Him.

• 5 months later...

Expectation of doing a good job.  We do not work for ourselves but for our Heavenly Father.  We want to please Him and to honour Him. We work willingly and respectfully for even the harsh employer. We will produce just as good a result for the harsh person as for the kind one!  Jesus’ wisdom is not of this world and runs counter to it.

If we do not give our best to our jobs it is a poor witness. That’s a key thought – we are evangelists taking the Good News to a needy world therefore our behaviour speaks as loud as our words. 

• 6 months later...

-----If we submit to our employers and do a good job we are honoring God ,because we are the image of Christ in us.

-----We are disobedient and disrespectful to god. 

Q2. (2:18)

Q. If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job?

A. We are expected to do a good job irrespective of whether our boss is good or not

Q. In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

A. God's expectation is that we do a good job. Thus if we fail to do so He will not be  happy with  us because our failure dishonours Him.

On 2/21/2004 at 0:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

When we are submissive to our employers and respect them it means we are obeying the commandment of God and honouring our creator. If we don't give our full efforts to our jobs it means we dishonour God by disobeying His words as a rebellious children.

We must follow the rules of our employee, and honor God by thanks and gratitude that we are given employment. However, by worshipping our employer, doing in fear of losing our job, we are not then worshipping God, but are loving a part of the world.

On 2/21/2004 at 0:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

When we are submissive to our employers and respect them it means we are obeying the commandment of God and honouring our creator. If we don't give our full efforts to our jobs it means we dishonour God by disobeying His words as a rebellious children.

On 2/20/2004 at 7:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God expects us to work as if we are working for Him. We are to submit wholeheartedly to our employers and ensure that we are displaying God's light. Our employers should not question our focus. We should also ensure that while working we are not only 100% focused on doing the work we are there to do, but giving full honor, fear and reverence to the Lord who is the ultimate authority. We dishonor God when we slack off and not give our full attention to the job.  As His people, we need to set the right example of what Godly submission looks like. We should wholeheartedly complete the task at hand knowing that inwardly, we are working for the Lord.

The word of God says that whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. This honors God. We represent God's kingdom. We are ambassadors of Christ. Our job is for people to come to know God. We make God known to others by how we live our lives in this world. We can glorify God by doing our work in such a way that we make the invisible God visible by what we do and how we do it. When we fail to live up to God's expectations and that of our employers, we are discrediting God. For God has placed authorities/masters over us and commands us to obey and respect them as we do Him. If we do otherwise, we disrespect God.  

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2004 at 4:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. We are to work at our jobs as "unto the Lord". Doing a great job at work whether secular or not, brings honor to the Lord. We are really serving Him, though our paycheck comes from our boss.

2. He is dishonored when we represent Him poorly. We are His ambassadors where ever we go, and whatever we are doing, and are given the opportunity every day to shine and reflect Him.

Q2. (2:18) 
If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? 
In what sense do we dishonour God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

Being a Christian makes demands on us. We can only live a lifestyle of obedience by following our Lord Jesus Christ, and as we serve Christ we also serve others. We have to obey God’s commands and show love for our fellow workers and employers. In the workplace others must see us as living testimonies for God. However, normally we are in the minority and we will be placed under the spotlight, and people will be quick to criticize us. 

Not doing our best can bring dishonour to our Lord since it is being dishonest to our employer. We read in Genesis 1:31 when God looked upon His creation and saw everything was good. When we look upon our work, are we proud of what we have done? Can we honestly tell ourselves that this is the best I can do? Remember God was satisfied with His work, and we should have that same attitude. We are to do our best at work, and only this will all bring glory to our Heavenly Father. When we work for others, we should not do more merely to please them but rather we should work as unto the Lord Himself. In other words, we should not merely "get by" with what is expected of us by kind and gentle employers. To submit to employers who are good and gentle is not difficult, but we are also to submit to masters who are harsh. The most menial and commonplace tasks in life are ennobled and dignified when they are done for the glory of God. We endure grief and suffer because our deepest commitment is to Jesus Christ, and the ultimate purpose of our work is to please Him - to do all to His glory (1Cor 10:31). Excellence for God usually brings the approval and admiration of God from employers.

I pray, dear Heavenly Father, thank you that I can be proud of my work.
Help me to excel in my work to serve others and to honour You Lord. 

Submitting to our employers and respecting them is the same thing as doing a good job. Part of the job is to submit to them. It is dishonoring God when we don’t give it our full effort to the job because He expects to respect those around us. It would be like stealing if we didn’t give it our full effort and that is one of the 10 commandments is to not steal.