JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Outer vs. Inner Beauty

Q2. (3:3) Why should women try to look their best? How can trying to look their best divert women from what is more important? What is the balance?

Their appearance is a reflection on God and their husband, but they are not to get caught up in the way they look on the outside because they can be beautiful on the outside and be just as ugly on the inside and no one want to be around someone is a terrible person. The balance comes from being a follower of Christ and making your inside and outside match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (3:3) Why should women try to look their best? How can trying to look their best divert women from what is more important? What is the balance?

They should look their best in a Godly way. So they will be seen as a Christian,that others will want what they have. They need not be all dressed up so to speak.

If their focus is on their beauty and jewelry that becomes their main worship not God.

I think all people, not just women, should make an effort to be physically healthy, neat, and clean. Excellence in one area of life transfers into others and so does sloppiness. Our bodies are a temple and an example. We should strive for that example to be appropriate as a display of our devotion to Christ. When we put too much emphasis on our looks and when the goal is to call attention to ourselves, we lose focus on Christ. I think the goal of the effort reveals the correct balance. When it becomes all about oneself, it's gone too far.

My body is Jesus' temple. It is where He lives. I like my earthly home to be clean and tidy so visitors feel comfortable and welcome, likewise I like my earthly body to be clean, tidy and fit for Jesus to live in.

I care for myself physically by eating and exercising sensibly. I watch my weight and wear nice clothes and make up. I feel confident in myself when I am complimented on how I look. In the job I do, I need to be in smart clothes and to look professional.

I care for myself emotionally by building my image, my self esteem and my confidence in Jesus.

I care for myself spiritually by building my relationship with Jesus, through bible study, quiet time and prayer.

I am body, mind, soul and spirit and it is my God-given right and duty to care for all aspects of myself

All aspects are in balance and I ensure that I do not become obsessed with any one part of me.

• 1 month later...

Women should try to look their best because it reflects not only you, but on your husband and your God.

Women, while they try to look beautiful from the outside should not neglect the inner beauty. While God is concerned with the inner beauty which lasts, the outer beauty fades.

The balance is to give more focus on the inner beauty without neglecting the outer beauty. Outer beauty projects self-respect while inner beauty projects character.

• 1 month later...

God tells to take care of His temple, being our physical bodies, and I think the way in which we dress and take care of ourselves is also a reflection of our relationship with Him. We should dress and present ourselves as though we are doing it for the Lord.

For a lot of women, their looks and the way they look to the world becomes the most important thing to them and they spend all of their time and attention toward that fulfillment and this in a sense becomes their god.

Putting God first and allowing Him to nurture our inner beauty without neglecting our outer appearance.

Women should try to look pleasing and beautiful as if they were going to met Jesus indside and out. Trying too hard on the outside diverts women from what they were placed here on earth to do: worship God and glorify him.

• 4 months later...

I believe that the main reason a woman should always try to look their best is to make them feel good about themselves, in a sense that is pleasing to God. When one feels that they are portraying positive outward appearance in conjunction with the inner beauty, that of the Spirit of the Lord shining out through them, it instils confidence and portrays a love toward the Lord and their husbands.

The importance should always be on letting the light of the Lord shine through that all will know He is at work in her. The outward adorning should be to show honour to God her husband and those around her.

All the finest garments and the most expensive jewellery can never replace the beauty which the indwelling of the Lord will portray in the life of a woman.

A woman should look her best because it is a reflection on God, and if she is married on her husband also. It can draw her into the world's way. God says that true beauty is a matter of character, not of decoration. I think the balance is if a Christian woman remains loyal to God and His word, seeks him, keeps His love, joy, peace, and meekness, her inner beauty will shine bright.

• 7 months later...

Q2. (3:3) Why should women try to look their best?

Women should only try to look their best to glorify the Lord and not to bring attention to their selves. For we are not to try to bring glory to ourselves but unto God.

How can trying to look their best divert women from what is more important?

When women start trying to look their best in the flesh they begin to take their focus off of God and put it on them selves. This therefore causes thoughts and minds to draw away from God.

What is the balance?

The balance is to always keep our minds and our focus on God and doing everything we do to glorify Him, both in our actions and our conversations. When we try to look our best we need to do every thng we can to glorify The Lord.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (3:3)

Why should women try to look their best?

What is the balance?

Out of respect for themselves and their family Christian women should always try and look their best. At the same time they must keep a proper balance, recognizing that beauty and adornments have their place, but knowing that the key to lasting beauty is what is inside them. They must not necessarily conform to social pressures. Christian women should rather let their beauty come from within, others should see an unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. The Christian women will have been transformed by the Holy Spirit, and their beauty is seen in their personality, their attitudes, their thoughts, and their motivations. Her inner faith and character will shine through reflecting the light of Christ; drawing attention not to herself but to her Lord.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If I understand this question it is actually a contradiction of 1 Peter 3:2,4. The expensive clothes, fancy hairdos and outrageous jewelry has nothing to do with a woman's beauty...she should strive for her inner-beauty.

Try to look their best, a woman will focus all of her energy on her outward appearance with disregard of her inner-beauty...giving no thought to God.

The balance? Keep God at the top of the list while preparing themselves in a modest, non-seductive, "look at me" attitude. You know...nice dress (not extravagant!!!!) neat hair and maybe a colorful set of earrings and a wedding band if applicable.

• 1 month later...

They need to look their best for themselves,and their husbands no one else. If they spend all their time trying to be beautiful on the outside they will not be building the inner beauty that God wants for them. The balance to me is when they know they arre beautiful on the inside and it projects outward.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (3:3) Why should women try to look their best?

Let's remember that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. Therefore we should look after it and not let ourselves go to seed prematurely. The old saying: Why keep chasing the bus after you've caught it . . shouldn't be an excuse to neglect your appearance if you're married. This goes for men as well as women. There's nothing whatever wrong with women wearing makeup and dressing well. Going to the shops in a moo moo is one sure way to make hubby not want to come home from work. No need to spend a fortune on expensive clothes, but a toweling dress and rubber thongs is not what you wear to keep your husband interested in you ladies. In the old days you could always pick a married woman with kids: Short "practical" hairstyle, unflattering clothing, overweight, etc. These days women seem to be taking better care of their appearance, watching what they eat, and caring more about hair styles and such . . thank goodness.

How can trying to look their best divert women from what is more important? What is the balance?

Both men and women can become obsessed with physical appearance to the detriment of their spiritual well being. Starting the day with a personal devotional is a good way to align your thinking along with what is really important, our relationship with God. Jesus told people to wash the inside of the cup and the outside will become clean as well. With that in mind, keeping your relationship with God in good standing will make you feel good about yourself and that should hopefully work its way to the outside.

• 6 months later...

2a)Woman created by God Genesis 1:27,impt to look after God’s creaction,present ourselves outwardly and inwardly best so that reflects well on our husbands and God bringing pleasure to them and on us, in the process help ourselves to feel good about the way we look,think,act.

B)Women need to keep image,diets, fashion etc in perspective, these are all part of looking after our bodies but these matters or anything else should not take away our focus from God, reading his word and sharing what Jesus means to us, by our actions and words.Too much time on self his worldly pride.

C)Balance is to honour God first &his creation,learning more of him,keeping our earthly bodies as the temple of the Lord,healthy to serve him more, not destroying body with alcohol,caffine etc, honour our husbands by looking good for them enhancing their reputation,& encouraging us as well truly acknowledge our self-worth made in God’s image, and how much God loves us.

• 1 year later...

Women should try and look their best to reflect well on God, their husbands, and family.  Women should spend more time in developing their inner character than attempting to make themselves look beautiful.

The balance lies in giving attention and care to spirit, soul, and body that it scripturally required.

• 1 year later...

WOME SHOULD LOOK THERE BEST BECAUSE OUR BEAUTY WAS GIVEN FROM GOD. WE DON'T SUPPOSE TO GET SO INTO JEWELRY, HIGH FASHION. CLOTHING MAKING IT ALL ABOUT OUR EXTERNAL BEAUTY AND NOT THE I WARD BEAUTY. THAT HOW YOU BECOME VERY SELFISH AND GOD IS NOWHERE IN YOUR THOUGHTS.

• 5 months later...

Women should always try to look their best, it shows personal dignity, respect for God and spouse.

Women trying to always to look their best in an outward appearance could direct their attention of beauty from the inner self and to the outer.

The balance of beautify should reflect not only the outer self, but also the beauty that is in the heart, this gives pleasure to God, for he is concerned not with the outer appearance but the condition of the heart. 

• 6 months later...

Why should women try to look their best?  I agree with you. “Good grooming is always appropriate”, not only does it reflect positively on the person (man or woman), but it’s also a positive reflection on your husband/wife/family, and it reveals a level of pride in your Christianity which is a positive reflection on God.

How can trying to look their best divert women from what is more important? What is the balance?   Today there is intense pressure on women to look a certain way, pressure to look and act like the media’s perception of the perfect women.  I’m a man so I may be speaking out of school but I believe that a woman should care about how she looks if she wants to realize degree of comfort in her life.  God’s standards for beauty are infinitely different than the standards of the world, I believe His idea of beauty is a gentle and quiet spirit.  When the importance of looking good externally escalates into vanity, ego and competition the gentle and quiet spirit is often forsaken.

Matthew wrote:  “You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean.” (Matthew 23:26)

• 5 months later...

Q2. (3:3)

Why should women try to look their best?

She represents her husband, herself, her family, and her God

It can become a distraction, and lead to vanity, and ultimately not accomplishing God’s purposes in our lives.

What is the balance?

Seeking God’s “smile” on our lives.  

• 6 months later...

2. (3:3) Why should women try to look their best? How can trying to look their best divert women from what is more important? What is the balance?

Woman were created by God,and we need to look after ourselves.

When more emphasis is put on outward appearance than inner beauty.

To spend more time with God to change the inside of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Why WOMEN should try to look their best? An interesting question in a patriarchal society! Even more interesting in the light of Islamic-still patriarchal-dress code. USA-let it all hang out; Islamic-keep it all hidden. Many still embrace using a mask rather than becoming what they want to be. Paul was clear there are false things we need to remove and Christ-like characteristics we put on.

As a child I learned: 'good, better, best will not let you rest until your good is better and your better best.' We are responsible stewards of what God has given us. How degrading it is to characterize women by numbers (1-10). How pathetic to keep praising little girls for being so pretty!

Balance will be achieved when men, women, Christians, Christian churches recognize that men AND women are God's co-partners and STOP using isolated passages that deny that the gifts of the Spirits are given across gender differences.

Edited by mattzat1113
clarity

1. Peter tells us to pursue inner beauty.....it will grow and outlast any physical beauty, and can be seen through faces the world would deem homely. Our appearance is a reflection of who we are and WHOSE we are.  A wise pastor's wife once told our Bible study of young women: "when  you get up in the morning, do the best you can to look your best, with what God has given you and with what you have, then leave the mirror and forget about yourself and focus on others". I feel better when I've styled my hair, put on modest makeup and clean, becoming clothing then I feel un-self conscious and that I represent my Lord in a positive and healthy way, and am ready to face the day as His ambassador.

2. If appearance is the most important thing, that borders on Narcissism and if it depends on whether hours of time in front of a mirror, or a large financial investment are required then it is out of balance. Being fit is important to me and I go to the gym several times a week, but I go when it does not interfere with duties at home or other obligations to family, church and friends. However, when one becomes a gym rat obsessed with the body's appearance, I would say that is out of balance.  Our society shuns aging at every turn promoting surgery to avoid looking ones age, which too is out of balance.  Keeping appearance in perspective is important. I feel "creeped out" when I see a woman's altered lips preceding her into a room and wonder at the expense that has made her face a caricature  of who God made her to be.

What is balance?  moderation in all things!  Good grooming is just a part of the day.  Cleanliness is next to godliness was a motto I heard growing up. Modesty and a peaceful, pleasant, and joyful countenance is beautiful no matter how little makeup or money has been spent on clothing. The eye is drawn to inner beauty where Jesus shines and is radiant. A "sour puss" looks ugly no matter how much makeup tries to cover it up.

On 3/5/2004 at 5:49 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Women should look their best in order to be attractive to both man and God. When women are after outward beauty with fancy hair do, jewellery and fine clothes without considering the character or behaviour that is inner beauty. The balance is by dressing moderately plus good character as a committed Christian.