JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Baptism as a Pledge

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? (Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight -- seriously!)

While I have been baptised as an adult and was given baptismal classes, it is only now that I can truly say I understand what it really means.

However I undertook baptism as a physical pledge of my faith in what Jesus has done for me. Since that day I regularly sit with Jesus and recommit myself to Him and check that I am walking as His disciple.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? (Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight -- seriously!)

I promised to served Christ as His disciple only after I have acquired enough knowledge of Him from my internet inductive bible studies, from the bunch of spiritual seminars attended both locally and nationally, more specially when I handled cell group which is part of our G12 discipleship system.

I was baptized 13 years ago but nothing much has changed. Only after 10 years that I realized when I allowed the Holy Spirit to work in me I experience the transformation that I longed for. Every morning when I pray, I always renew my commitment to God and ask him to fill me with the Holy Spirit so I can be more effective discipler.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I gave my heart and life to Jesus when I was 14. I am now 45 and living my life dedicated to Him. I remember my water baptism well and it was such a cleansing experience, but more significant to me was the cleansing feeling I had when I walked up the aisle and received the glorious gift of salvation from my Heavenly Father. At the time I did not understand it all, but even at that young age I knew I was somehow different than I had been a few minutes before and that nothing would ever be the same again. I felt new from the inside out. When Jesus saves you, it is truly a cleansing experience.

• 5 months later...

Yes, I have pledged my faith to Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple. For me, my baptism reminds me that in the emmersion, my sinful nature was buried because Christ died for my sins, when I came up out of the water, I have eternal life because he rose from the dead on Resurrection Day.

The question above is long and sometimes is surrounded by controversy, so as not to get drawn in let me give a short but meaningful reply.

It was not until the day I was baptized, and for years God hounded me to do His will in this regard, to the point of me loosing sleep,and finally the message got through and all I can say is that my God reigns in my life and from that day forth the very contents of heaven were poured out upon me.

Thank you Lord for all the blessings and Your constant presence that am blessed with daily, Praise be to Jesus Lord and savior of my life. Amen.

• 7 months later...

Yes I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior and desiring daily to be more like Him. Baptism was symbolic for me, once I accepted Him as my Savior, I then wanted to use the symbolism of baptism as my public profession of my new self. I am saved regardless if I was ever baptised or not. I praise God that He died for me and that I am His child.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have pledged my life to serve Christ and follow Him and His ways that I may be able to partake of His Glory in Heaven with Him. When I was baptized it was a special moment in my life and at that time I knew that my life would be different from then on, but that's not when I completely committed my life to serving Him. For this was truly the turning point of my life and its never been the same again. I know that its not the water that cleans me up but its my dedication to His will that truly changes my life for ever and this is where salvation lies. Baptism is the very first stage of our obedience to Christ and then we must go on to the perfection of the gospel, that is committing ourselves to following and serving Him by serving one another and loving one another.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (3:20-21)

Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism - the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith).

Let's not argue about that in this forum.

Let me ask you the crucial question for you - Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple?

How does this pledge relate to your own baptism?

(Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight - seriously!)

My salvation is a gracious gift from God. God chose me out of His love for me, Jesus died to pay the penalty for my sin. I am so grateful and rejoicing in my salvation, full of praise for my Heavenly Father. Yes I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ as my Saviour, and promised to serve him as His disciple. I trust Him fully and have surrendered my life to Him. I acknowledge that there is nothing I have done or can do to earn my salvation. It is a gift of God which I gratefully accept. Thank you Lord!

• 7 months later...

MY TESTIMONY OF FAITH: I was re-baptized Sept 30, 2007 in a planter church because the preacher only did it once a month. It was a great moment. Also, on Sunday Sept 2 at 6AM the Holy Spirit didn't wait for my scheduled baptism. My transformation as a child of God began that morning when I was reading aloud John 20:11-16 Jesus Appears to Mary Magdalene - 11 Now Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb 12 and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot. 13 They asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?” "They have taken my Lord away,” she said, “and I don’t know where they have put him.” 14 At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus. 15 He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?” Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”).

When I read the word aloud "RABBONI" the Holy Spirit came upon me and I cried for a long time, but don't know how long. My transformation had begun. Today I walk trusting Jesus and asking to be closer to Him, and His loving direction to my life. I pray that all will come to know Him and that He may use me any way He wishes, at any moment in my life. And He does it all the time. Praise GOD!

• 8 months later...

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism?

The son of a God fearing mother and an atheist father, I was "Christened" as an infant in the Methodist Church but never attended one. In the 1950s everyone got Christened. It was just the thing to do.

I went to the Baptist Church and Sunday School which was the nearest one to our home. At age 17, I was Baptized after entering into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, acknowledging Him as Lord and Savior.

I went astray for ten years from age 19 to age 28. I was led back to Christ by an old Christian friend from the time when I had followed Christ previously and the following year I was Baptized again, since my friend, now my pastor by the way, rationalized that I'd been away from the Lord for long enough that I had to begin again in discipleship.

I did indeed profess my faith in Jesus Christ and pledged to serve and follow Him.

• 1 year later...

4a)I pledged my faith in Jesus Christ publically as tweenager as a confirmation of my baptism, as an infant, I pledged that I had turned from sin, promised to follow Jesus as my Lord & saviour, and humbly received his Spiit of forgiveness and promise of eternal life when he comes again.This had a profound effect on me, feeling a deep peace in my heart and soul through Holy Spirit. This blessing was God’s timing for me, as Spirit relationship with Jesus powered me through serious surgery afterwards

B)My baptism was the start of my initiation into the body of Christ,on the vows of repentance and faith said for me, by my believing parents.I don' believe baptism saved me, but my personal faith in Christ for myself did with much joy when pledged confirmation of baptism promises for myself.

• 8 months later...

I have pledged my faith to and in Jesus Christ and have promised to serve Him as his disciple.  As a little boy I accepted and acknowledged Jesus Christ as savior and followed by baptism.  Jesus has been ever increasing in my life since that moment.

• 2 years later...

As in 1 Peter 3;20-21, through baptism I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as a disciple.

This pledge of faith to Christ was initiated when I was baptized 41 years ago. I was baptized when I was 6-8 weeks old in the church. As I grew older and studied the word of God's truth in the bible, I decided to be baptized again, because now I understand the purpose of displaying my faith in the Lord in front of witnesses. This display of faith showed everyone that I was now a redeemed follower of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.   

• 6 months later...

Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism?  Yes, I was baptized and pledged my faith in Christ Jesus as a young teen but when I was in my 20s until mid-30s, I was a terrible backslider.  About 30 years ago, an event occurred in my life that showed me without a doubt that He had been there watching over me all along.  It seems that He was waiting patiently for me to realize that He was there.  Yes, I’m still a sinner (we all are) but today my faith is stronger than it’s ever been and I have dedicated my life to His service.

My pledge to Jesus and my baptism are important to me because it’s important to Him or He wouldn't have commanded us to be baptized.  Furthermore, if He didn’t feel that it was all that important, He wouldn’t have insisted that John baptize Him.  “Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John.  But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?  Jesus replied, Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.”  (Matt. 3:13-15) 

I believe in my heart of hearts that baptism is necessary for salvation because Jesus said it is.  After the resurrection, He told the disciples quite clearly to Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.  Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.(Mark 16:15-16)  The words that Jesus spoke to the 11 that day leaves no room for debate.  He said that to be saved you must do more than just believe, He said that you have to believe AND be baptized; all that's required of you to be condemned is to not believe.  I've lived by those words and put my full faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ and if he says baptism is important... well, that’s good enough for me!

• 5 months later...

Q4. Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple?

1Pe 3:20-22 ESV  because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.  21  Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,  22  who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him.

Yes I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ and I have promised to serve Him as His disciple.

Baptism is a deeply significant and meaningful outward indication of one’s intention to follow and to serve Jesus Christ as His disciple. What a powerful statement!  I need to keep coming back to this. I belong to Him. I am taught by Him as a disciple (learner).

• 5 months later...

i was babtized in the Anglican church at 6 months old.

when i was 26 i gave my life to Christ in the Presbyterian chuch and was babtized.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2004 at 6:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes, I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ as my Lord and saviour. Baptism is a public declaration and affirmation that I belong to Jesus Christ, therefore baptism relations to my pledge simply says that I died and resurrected with Christ.

On 3/20/2004 at 6:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes, I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ as my Lord and saviour. Baptism is a public declaration and affirmation that I belong to Jesus Christ, therefore baptism relations to my pledge simply says that I died and resurrected with Christ.

If I recall correctly, I was baptized at the age of 14. Our church at that time was performing baptisms  and I got baptized. I remember being in love with the Lord and enjoying going door to door witnessing to neighbors and participating at church events. At the same time my family was very dysfunctional(alcoholic parents, verbal abuse, mental abuse, etc.) eventually I backslid and was in and out of the church for most of my adult life. I have been serving the Lord after renewing my vows to Him for approx. 10 years. The past 5 years or so I have enjoyed teaching children and youth Sunday classes. I also disciple a teenager at home on Saturdays. There's so much to do for the Lord, that I feel I'm still not doing enough. Sometimes I feel that I didn't take my pledge seriously at 14 and would love to get baptized again. Of course I understand that it's really not necessary, so as long as I keep my pledge from this day forward. But, people put too much emphases on when you received Christ and when you were baptized, it makes me feel terrible that I didn't follow through with my pledge to God. God is good! 

Q4. (3:20-21) 
Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism - the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). 
Let's not argue about that in this forum. 
Let me ask you the crucial question for you - Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve Him as His disciple? 
How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? 
(Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight - seriously!)

My salvation is a gracious gift from God. God chose me, before creation, out of His love for me. Jesus died to pay the penalty for my sin. I am so grateful and rejoicing in my salvation, full of praise for my Heavenly Father. Yes, I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ as my Saviour, and promised to serve Him as His disciple. I trust Him fully and have surrendered my life to Him. I acknowledge that there is nothing I have done or can do to earn my salvation. It is a gift of God which I gratefully accept. Thank you Lord!

On 3/20/2004 at 2:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I have pledged my faith in Jesus. I have been baptized 3 times (baby, adult and then again for reasons I will not share which could cause contention).  I do not believe baptism is necessary to be saved. If this was the case, then was the other guy on the cross given a pass? Would people who have not yet been baptized pass away, do they just go to hell? I am thankful for my baptism as it is a constant reminder of His death and burial and His love for me.

I was baptized when I was7 days old.   In my religion we are baptized by pouring water on the head and anointing you as a child as God.  A baby being baptized obviously has no understanding of the significance of being baptized. The parents and godparents of children are responsible to some extent for the child's beliefs.    Pledging my faith came to me as an adult as I started to study the word of God.  I always believed in God, but believing does not necessary mean having faith.   I continue to work on being a true Christian.

As I said in a prior post, I pledged my faith in Jesus when I was older (in my 60’s). Shortly after, I was baptized (immersion). That was one of the most exciting occurrences in my life. I had been baptized as a baby and raised in a very legalistic church. My present faith has so much day to day meaning to me and I am thankful and so appreciative of this call, maybe more so since I am older.  This call to faith is so simple, but rarely easy.

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? (Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight -- seriously!)

1. Yes, I have and do serve him as a christian. Putting away everything that can come between us.

2. I have been dunked and risen with Jesus according to Romans 6:4 I believe burial is symbolized when we are dunked under the water. Resurrection is symbolized when we come up out of the water.