JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Calling on the Name of the Lord

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"? What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

Aabraham knew God had been faithful till now and He aalso needed God's guidance to go further. He building an altar to God showing His continue need for continued leading.. It was a way of him saying I believe. for me to call on the name of the Lord tells me I am c pletely dependent on Him ffor all things and circumstances.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"? What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

Abraham's faith had brought him to re ccognize his compllete dependance upon God. But he as most thankful to God and to praise Him for all the past guidance. He aalso recognized that

god is a sovereign God and in compete control. The fear of the Lord brought him that he had already experienced the Grace and love for the Almighty.

• 3 months later...

Calling on Yahweh is what it's all about. Acknowledging that He and He alone is able to take us through and that we have put our trust in Him, that's it. It is called prayer and we should do that constantly, without ceasing.

When I have the line open, I know that God will listen, and answer, as long as I call upon Him according to His will. In that, I have great comfort.

• 3 months later...

When Abraham called on the name of Yahweh, he is showing he believes in only one God.

To call on the name of the Lord is a wonderful privilege. We are turning to the Lord to ask for something.

Patricia A

• 2 weeks later...

Abraham called on the one true God, not influenced by the culture around him who called on various deities. That is significant throughout the years - to stand your ground in your beliefs, often in contrast to those around you.

When I call on the name of the Lord it is for many reasons....for help, for guidance, for strength, for wisdom, and to thank Him.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear sir I would like to Reply both question 3 and 4 here.

Q3. (12:1 with Hebrews 11:8-10) Why does it take special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it will turn out? Have you had any of these "opportunities"? Are you in the midst of this adventure now?

It takes special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it will turn out because God requires full commitment of an individual in order for the person to really feel the touch of God. Abraham was fully committed to follow God

Dear sir I would like to Reply both question 3 and 4 here.

Q3. (12:1 with Hebrews 11:8-10) Why does it take special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it will turn out? Have you had any of these "opportunities"? Are you in the midst of this adventure now?

It takes special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it will turn out because God requires full commitment of an individual in order for the person to really feel the touch of God. Abraham was fully committed to follow God

• 4 months later...

Abraham called on the name of the Lord because he loved, needed. and relied on him. At church we are doing a bible study on "Kings of the Old Testament", every king that sought God and followed his commands was blessed by God. Every king that didn't fell into idol worship and did evil.

For myself I think of when I called on the Lord and he came into my heart. He forgave me of my sins. Since that time I call on his name daily to praise him, for other people, in times of trouble, when I'm not sure of what he would want me to do, many, many things. He is the rock I'm leaning on.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"?

Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh" signifies his dependency of God. Abraham finds himself moving to a new place, a place he has never been before and calls on Yahweh to give guidance and direction for his journey.

What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

For us, our lives should be one of continuous calling on the name of the Lord as we seek Him to guide us along our Christian journey.

• 1 month later...

Abraham called on the name of God in that place I believe for several reasons: First, because God appeared to him there to show Araham that He was real and that what He promised him would come to pass, secondly the scripture tells us right up front that the Cannanites were in the land, real bad guys, and Abraham knew what they represented to his family, a real problem because of idol worship and Abraham wanted the Cannanites to know that he worship the one true God right out in the open, so that they would know what his belief was. Abraham knew that he would need God to show Himself strongly in his life, he had just stepped out on faith and left home to go to a place he knew not. We also need to call on the name of God, not only when we are confronted with impossible situations, but for every day needs for He will never leave us or forsake us no matter what.

Abraham called on the name of God in that place I believe for several reasons: First, because God appeared to him there to show Araham that He was real and that what He promised him would come to pass, secondly the scripture tells us right up front that the Cannanites were in the land, real bad guys, and Abraham knew what they represented to his family, a real problem because of idol worship and Abraham wanted the Cannanites to know that he worship the one true God right out in the open, so that they would know what his belief was. Abraham knew that he would need God to show Himself strongly in his life, he had just stepped out on faith and left home to go to a place he knew not. We also need to call on the name of God, not only when we are confronted with impossible situations, but for every day needs for He will never leave us or forsake us no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

calling on the lord - for guidance - support and help in a strange land with no friends all around for any advice or support

• 3 weeks later...

To show his appreciation to God for the good works he has done for him.

It meant greatly for me to do that when ever God delivers me from trouble by showing his mercies upon me.

• 2 months later...

The word that seems to come to mind is survival. When I consider the things that Abraham was asked to do I don't think he would have even been able to get through the day without calling on God. I know I can't , and I'm just living a relitively nomal life. The thought of leaving home to settle in another country is scarry enough now. Abraham didn't have years of stories and generations of people who had done the same thing to look back on. He truly was stepping out with nothing but God. He had to be wondering if he was crazy and just hearing voices half the time. I think he called on God to remind himself that he wasn't crazy, that God was and is real, and that eventually everything would work out the way that God intended it to.

The significance of Abraham calling on the name of the Lord implies a personal relationship with the Lord. Abraham is journeying at the direction of the Lord and he is intimately looking to Him for everything including championship. Abraham expects a response from God -- an intimate relationship with God.

Like Abraham, in serving the Lord and trying to realize His will and direction in my life, I must call upon Him for everything. I must have an intimate relationship with Him. Serving God obediently is centered in the relationship with Him. Being a follower of Jesus Christ is all about a relationship with Him and those around us. To be a complete, whole, effective, loving human-being is about relationships - with God and those around us.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Abraham knew his need, he was alone, he needed guidance and direction. Abraham believed only in God and he seeked Him continually and openly and boldly every day for the needs of his life.

Abraham knew his need, he was alone, he needed guidance and direction. Abraham believed only in God and he seeked Him continually and openly and boldly every day for the needs of his life.

For me to call on the name of the Lord is to know that all my cares and problems are taken of, I can rest in the peace of the Lord because I know He is in control.

Abraham recognized God as the one and only true God. Abraham knew his needs and he needed guidance and direction, he depended on the Lord for all he needed. What it means for me to call upon the Lord is that I know all my cares and problems are taken care of because I know in whom I trust whole heartly and I can rest in His peace because I don't have to worry about anything. I can praise my Savior the whole day long, rejoicing and giving Him thanks.

When you call for someone, you are asking them to come to you. I think of my own children calling, "Mom!"... they need me, they are acknowledging their dependence on me/ or their desire for me to help them. I think it is the same thing when Abraham called upon God -or when I call upon Him. To ask for His guidance, help, even His company. It is acknowledging both, my need and my desire to be with God.

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"?

He was not just calling any god that would hear, but he was calling Yahweh, the one who apeared, the one who spoke and the one who had led him all that way. He was calling on the god who he had a personal relationship with.

Q-What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

To me is means that I am calling on the One who hears my prayers and cares for me more than anything or anyone can on this earth. It means that I am seeking to comunicate and fellowship with the one true God, Yahweh. It means I am seeking to be with my God.

• 4 weeks later...

Abraham knew that there was only one true God. He believed and trusted God completely with everything concerning his life. He put the Lord first. To me it means basicly the same as Abraham. I have put the Lord first in my life and I trust Him completely with everything I have concerns about. When I pray, I know He hears my prayers about my needs and I praise and worship Him above all else.

(1) Abraham knew that there was only on true God and he trusted the Lord completely with everything concerning his life. He put the Lord first. (2) For me, it is basicly the same as Abraham, I call upon the Lord to hear my prayers,but most of all I worship and praise the Lord because He is number one in my life. When we put God first everything else will fall in place.

Abraham had full trust in God and he did not doubt. he believed that whatever God had promised will come to be fulfilled, it does not matter how long it will take.

I am to call on the Name of God, because His word His true and trustworthy. My God is reliable because unlike people God does not lie, forget, change His word, or leave His promise unfulfilled.