JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Servant's Prayer

Q3 (24:12-14) What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God?

Th servant's prayer showed that he had faith that God hears and answers prayers. The prayer was not a test of God, but rather for direction. He wantd to make the right choice in selecting a wife for his master's son.

Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer? If not, then how?

Evntually, the servant did choose the right person to be Isaac's wife.

• 1 month later...

I see nothing wrong with the servant's prayer. He knew that God had promised Abraham that an angel would be sent before him, so when the time came he ask God to show him which girl was to be the wife.

Yes, he found Rebekah. The servant was being faithful to his master, and both of their prayers were answered.

• 2 months later...
Q3 (24:12-14) What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God? Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer? If not, then how?

I dont think it was a hasty prayer - at least it would have ben better than no prayer . Definately the servant was taught by Abraham , as all his hired 118 servants , to commiit everything to God , in prayer . He started the journey with prayer and extended the prayer request once again to God

God definately responded to this act of trust and faith since he found the right girl for Isaac - out of many girls coming to the well at that time !!!!

• 4 months later...

Q3 (24:12-14) What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God? Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer? If not, then how?

The servant is trying to get a wife for his master's son. He trying to do the best he knows how. He goes to Almighty God and asks for help in obtaining this wife and accomplishing the mission. He is not testing God, he is trying to work out a way that he would know which girl is the one for Isaac.

I don't believe this was a hasty prayer. The servant simply prayed to God for help in determining the future wife. He was partnering with God to get the right girl. God was going to provide for Isaac in accordance with promises He made to Abraham.

• 2 months later...

I think the servant's prayer was a good prayer. He wanted the best for his master, he wanted to do the right thing by his master. He wanted the right woman for Isaac. He believed and trusted the Lord to take care of the situtation and send the right one. Yes, the servant found the right girl because God sent her. The servant believed with all his heart and never doubted. The Lord provided.

Abraham's servant asked God for guidance in this very importance task.

He had learned much about faith and about God from his master Abraham.

He caught the right girl because he did not ask God for a woman with good look or wealth. he knew the importance of finding a woman with the right heart, and that is why he asked God to help him with this task.

• 1 year later...

What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God? Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer? If not, then how?

The servant was probably thinking "OK, here I am, now what?" Actually, I think his prayer was a very good one. It was short, to the point, and it left no room for error. Clearly he did find the right girl not just on the basis of his prayer, but on the basis that this was God's will meaning that even if he hadn't prayed at all, God would have found the way to bring Rebekah to him, but the prayer and the way it was couched provided a very simple mechanism for this to take place.

I think the servants prayer was from the heart but not so hasty. It was simple and to the point. I don't think it was a test of God. The servant swore an oath that he would follow Abrahams directions to the letter. Abraham having been in conversation with God for he said, "the Lord will send His angel before you so that you can get a wife for my son from there. The servant was asking for guidence to get the right girl. God led him to the right spot at the right time to ask the right girl and even from Abraham's own family. The servant was asking to show kindness to his master Abraham. The servant sees that God was faithful to answer to prayers of a humble servant.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the prayer was wonderful, it was a prayer of faith, it was made at a time when a answer was needed, here he was wanting to do all that was good and proper.

What a splendid answer, how great is our God, He delivered the best at the right time.

• 2 months later...

I believe he did, God also heard Abraham's request

Abraham prayed for his servant, and the servant asked for God's help and guidance . We can't understand all situations and circumstances,but we can trust the God that does. The God who goes before us and prepares the way.

• 1 month later...

Q3 (24:12-14)

What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God?

Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer?

If not, then how?

Abraham must have been praying while his servant was journeying to Mesopotamia. I would think that his servant must also have been praying during the journey, that he would find a wife for his master. The servant would have learned much about faith and God from his master. I should imagine he was very keen to perform his task well. God was in control of the situation and everything had gone exactly as our Lord had planned. He was keeping His promises to Abraham and Isaac by selecting a wife for Isaac from his own people. So the whole situation was not dependant on the servant

• 4 weeks later...

I think that this servant was desparate to do the right thing for his master. In his anguish over making the right choice, he sends up this prayer. I believe God grants him the prayer as confirmation. God is faithful; I know most of us can attest to a confirmation from God when we have diligently been searching for an answer to a life choice.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God?

I think the servant's prayer was simple and to the point. He did not ask for a series of puzzle pieces but seemd lef to ask this simple request.

Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer? If not, then how?

God is the God of promise to Abraham and would provide his angels for this task. I think that the hastiness of the prayer just showed the faith.

• 2 months later...

I think that the servant had learned how to trust God and test God because he had been around Abraham and had apparently seen Abraham's life of faith. The servant knew how to pray and He knew that God wanted the best for Abraham's son, therefore God was with the servant. All we have to do is ask, seek and knock and our Father will answer us.

• 4 months later...

Fleeces so to speak were permitted in the Old Testament because the entire cannon of scripture was not complete and number two, they did not have the indwelling Holy Spirit like we do. The thing I am amazed at is how fast the answer came. God knew of the prayer before time and was already arranging circumstances so that when the servant arrived it would be just as he said. Our God is amazing!

• 4 months later...

He was trying his best to obey Abraham. Over the years this trusted

servant had witnessed how vital and faithful God had been to Abraham,

and as Abraham

• 1 month later...

I believe that the prayer was heart-felt, honest, sincere and asked with the utmost of love with respect to God. I am not so sure that this was a test of God since the servant had made the request on behalf of Abraham in a quick and hasty well informed prayer just as Abraham had directed.

Perhaps some scholars and theologians will consider this the result of the servants effrontery with the young lady who happened by the well. I however, believe that Rebekah was taught to respect all men and that it was through faith and prayer that she came to fulfill Abraham's request.

• 7 months later...

3a)It showed faith &trust in God and was heartfelt &sincere

b)Don’think it was hasty,we are asked to pray without ceasing,seeking affirmation from good as it means listen to Spirit.

• 1 year later...

I think that it was great that this servant did say a prayer prior to finding the right girl and ask for something that couldn’t have been accident and made it easier the pick the right girl. We should all say a prayer prior to making decision on life.

Yes the servant did find the right girl on the basis of his prayer.

• 8 months later...

The servant trusted God to answer his prayer in a way that would affirm the girl as the right girl for Isaac.  I don't think the servant was testing God, but working out a simple and direct way to know which girl to choose.  He was looking for certainty.

The criteria was a good criteria under the given circumstances.  The girl that would give him drink and also willingly give drink to his camels without being asked was unique.  It also revealed the kind of woman Rebekah was -- thoughtful and caring.  This kind of woman would make a good wife.

• 2 years later...

I think the servants prayer and test of God is an act in faith. He knows God has blessed Abraham and will not let the servant or Abraham down. He knows God is in control of Abraham's destiny.

The servants prayer was hasty at the moment, he did not know what to expect at the town or it;s people. He did not know whom the Lord had chose for Isaac. The Lord heard his prayer and gave him the answer from the girl.

• 3 years later...

Abraham had prayed for the servant to find the right woman for his son. Moreover he had told him that the Lord will send His Angel before him and make his way prosperous. But for the servant the question is how he will know which woman to select. He would have had no doubt that he would see women that day. But he needed to know of them which would be the woman for Isaac. His faith in God was also strong, that he prayed for the Lord to direct him specifically. So he devised a simple but certain test. He asked God to bring about a certain circumstance i.e. the woman would be kind enough not only to give the servant water on request but would also voluntarily water all his camels. Any woman would not want give water to a thirsty camel who could drink up to 25 gallons in one go. And there were ten camels with him, and moreover he was a stranger to the woman. But God answered his prayer in such a way that his prayer did not seem hasty considering the hasty way Rebekah was watering the camels. The text says she ran back and forth from the well. The Hebrew verbs communicate haste in every step. It’s as if God went well beyond the requirement to ensure that the servant did not miss the woman when he saw her.

• 3 months later...

The servant is not testing the Lord but asking for confirmation from Him so he can know what girl will marry His master's son. Yes I believe so. 

• 1 year later...

I think the servant prayed right and had learnt well from his master Abraham. 

The prayer was a continuation of Abraham's prayer. 

I don't think it was a hasty prayer but an example of "praying  without ceasing". The servants task was to find a wife for his master's son. He obviously wanted the right one. 

The most obvious way to ensure that the right one be chosen is conferring with the One Who was leading Abraham viz., GOD. 

God had answered the prayer before it was spoken. 

• 1 year later...

What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God? Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer? If not, then how?

Is not this prayer similar to Gideon's "fleecing" the Lord? The servant is asking for certainty, to be absolutely certain that the girl is the correct choice, the one chosen by God. This is laudable. It's important he does not make a mistake.

Faith, though, is juxtaposed to certainty. We step out in faith when we're uncertain, hoping and praying that God will lead us to the desired destination, conclusion or behavior. Did the servant do this?

I just don't know what to make of this story. The servant could have trusted God and allowed God to reveal the correct girl for Issac in His own way and time;  instead, the servant asked God to work in a particular way so he could be certain.

Is there a "takeaway" for us? Can I fleece God when I need direction, when the stakes are high? If I were about to marry someone, could I ask God to, say, turn the light on in the next room three times? that's the equivalent of what the servant is doing, no?