JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Blaming God

People who blame God for their trials are not mature spiritually. God does not try us but God allows us to be tried in order to give us a chance to grow, to put our faith and trust in Him. No one is exempt from trials. It depends on what we do with those trials. Actually our own desires can lead us to trials that may make us to sin if we are not mature enough to resist. Our leaning to God will help us not to tempted by the devil's snares.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

It seems people always blame God for evilness that comes their way or death to friends and loved ones. Why they ask did God do this to them? They only know of God when a great calamity comes upon them. If they truly knew God they would not blame him for every mishap.

God does not tempt us, but allows trails and temptations to come our way so that we can depend on him for strength and understanding to get through the temptation.

Truly I believe God allows evil people at times to be tested with evil, maybe perhaps, they may come to know the true God and repent.

God allows people to sin because he gave them a free will and the ability to know right from wrong. The Lord wants all to seek him, but however, only a few truly seek him, to trust and obey him.   

• 1 year later...

1.      Both Christians and nonbelievers alike regularly blame God for the terrible things that happen to all. People have been taught that God is in control of everything, therefore God often takes the blame for the evil in this world. The Book of James tells us God cannot be tempted with evil, and God does not tempt anyone to sin. If God can prevent evil and wants to purge the world of evil, why then does He allow evil?  God chose to create a world where our good and evil choices have direct and indirect consequences so that we would obey Him. However, we choose to do things our way, and then blame God for not doing anything about it. God allows evil to exist to strengthen and sanction our faith in Him. Adam, Moses, Samson, King David, and Peter are just a few people from the Bible that failed God’s test and repented of their sins so that bitterness could not take root. I believe we must turn back to God, not missing his grace and be filled with heavenly thoughts and concerns acknowledging that this world’s glory fades.

• 1 year later...

Being a carefree christian not knowing the extent satan would tempt me  led to my sins. i always thought God was protecting me and i would never fall into sin ,He would choose for me , how i was ignorant that the devil would use even my friends and my emotions to make me fall.

God has given us power to decide on the right thing to do its for us to read the Bible , have knowledge and understanding and wisdom from God to counter satans ways.

Ask God to help us since we cannot do it on our own satan is cunning and knows God than even us because he was there before man was created.

• 3 months later...

People blame God for evil because it is our nature to blame someone else, even God, rather than take responsibility for our own evil desires.

God only gives what is good. He does not tempt us with evil. We may be tested by God, but that is not the same as being tempted.

Does God tempt sinful people? God tempts no one. We all sin and fall short of the glory of God.

Why does He allow people to sin?  God is gracious enough to give us free will. When we are not in relationship with God, it is much easier to be tempted by those evil desires within us that if not controlled lead us to sin.

God allows evil to exist because it is a part of the world in which we live since Adam and Eve ignored God's command in the Garden of Eden. Their disobedience (sin) brought evil, shame, pain and death into the world. As we deal with with evil temptations, God uses these for good to draw us closer to Him and to strengthen our faith. ✝️

• 1 year later...

Evil is allowed to exist in order for us to seek our  destination in life to find that which God has planned for us. We, as an imperfect  child, may willfully choose to follow temptations that the enemy puts in front of us to sin.  God has given us all opportunities to prevail! It is our choice to find And keep grace in Him. It is up to our faith in Him whether we take his promise and run with it, or follow the enemy into damnation instead of reaching the kingdom of Heaven 

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Blaming God
  • 4 weeks later...

People didn't realise their own mistake and they just show that they are not guilty. 

No, God never tempt us with evil and he won't give us trials. Our Lord Jesus wants us to be happy. But it is Satan, the evil one who pushes us into tribulations.

No, God want each and everyone of us to be saved. He want the sinful to repent.

God didn't allow people to sin. People fell into sin because of their own ****.

God has a season and time for everything. He would destroy sins in his time.

People blame God for evil because they are hurt(ing) and humans by nature are looking for a reason why events occur. God does not tempt with evil. God allows free will, people choose to sin and by nature are sinful. We can willfully sin or sin (accidentally?) repent and ask God's forgiveness. Evil exists because of the fall of Adam and Eve, Jesus came as the way to get out of evilness. Good and bad continue to exist, you will have both. It is a part of us choosing the Lord or the world.

I used to blame God for trials because I didn't know Him, back then He was a huge dictator in the sky who seemed like He was waiting for you to mess up then beat you with trials. When I think about how I used to treat God I get ashamed,  yet it pushes me to respect Him more. God is The most loving being ever is. I owe Him my life! I now understand as Dr Ralph was teaching, WITHOUT FREEDOM THERE IS NO TEMPTATION! This is so important to understand  because God gives us "Free Will" but He allows us to be tempted by satan to weigh our choices.  He freely gives us wisdom, knowledge and understanding on how to live a life that's acceptable to Him, but we have to make the choice to take it or accept His will. Evil exist because of the free will, we have to be challenged to love God freely not by force.

To say that God does not tempt, as James did, is to doubt God’s omnipotence and omniscience. This neither blames God for our sin, or absolves the self from responsibility, but does defend God’s many-faceted character which includes the power to control and manipulate all circumstances.

-- If I watch my child fall and do nothing, my love for that child should be questioned.

-- If I can’t stop the child from falling, my power over that child should be questioned.

That’s the problem of evil and sin – it crashes on the shoals of either doubting God’s love or doubting God’s power or agency.

When Jesus prayed, “Lead us not into temptation,” he was talking to God about people. He asked God to NOT lead people into temptation. He didn’t say, “Help me not lead myself into temptation … or keep me from weakness so I don’t fall into sin,” but rather asked God to NOT lead into temptation. The meaning is overt and clear, but we don't want to face it because we're afraid of questioning God's love. We cling to His love more than His power.

Yet God’s power is such that He controls everything. God is more powerful than sin itself yet sin exists ergo He permits it. Jesus’ death overcame sin at the same time God was and is sovereign. All things are from Him. 

I agree that God’s motive is to strengthen and confirm our faith – of this I have no doubt – but I also believe that God tempts us by putting us in situations in which we had no culpability. He also allows terrible undeserved pain in our lives. Adults are responsible for our response to the situations in which we were put. Adults are responsible for their sin.

But God both tempts us and lets us be put into situations that can hurt or kill us. To doubt this is to doubt His power.

Man was created to worship God and to be obedient to Him!! Satan is the one who causes sin! Every good and perfect gift is and comes from God. For man to understand good and evil he must make a choice first to believe in one or the other and then follow or learn what is required in that belief. If you choose good, than you follow and learn of God and do his will. The evil of this world belong to the evil one. Those of us who have accepted Jesus belong to him and we are not of this earthly world ,which is Satan's ,but we are in a spiritual realm with God! We have chosen to believe in good and follow him! Study and show yourself approved.!! Know who you are in Christ and walk and live in faith!! We can not answer for the world! We don't belong to it!! God loved his creation so he gave his son to die for our salvation but we have to believe first than accept him an be obedient in worshipping him only! That is his requirment for HIS salvation!!! Eternity with him or hell with Satan??? You choose!

Isn't it part of human nature to caste blame on God rather than self examination of our part in the situation. The first sin recorded was evil tempting and conquering man with forbidden fruit. It is a fallen world ever since. How do Hitler, Pol Pot and Putin exist in a world created by God? The Devil is in the details. 

Q2. (James 1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

People don't want to admit their guilt. They just pretend that it's not their fault and they didn't realise their sin. 

God never tempt us with evil. 

God never tempt sinful people with evil. Our God desires for the salvation of all even sinful ones.

Because of people's evil desires and ****, God left them.

God keeps a timing for everything. He says that leave the tares untill harvesting as it may harm good crops. So God has his time to destroy evil. 

(James 1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil?

I think it s just human nature to blame God.  We know that he can stop evil if he wanted to so we blame him when it happens to us.

Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil?

God does not tempt us with evil nor does he tempt sinful people with evil.  God allows evil in the world but we are tempted when, by our own evil desire, we are dragged away and enticed and sin enters.

Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

God allows evil in the world allowing us free will.  We are given a choice.

People blame God for evil because they are hurt (ing) and humans are always looking for the reason why. God does not tempt us with evil, he is unable to because he does not have that that trait, he is may allow evil to tempt us but it is our free will if we choose to go that way. It is our free will, he will not force his ways upon us, we are to come to Christ willingly. Evil exists because of the original sin of Adam, he did not destroy Adams lineage (Noah and his family still existed after the flood) but he offers a way out of sin and evil through Jesus who is a propitiation for our sins.

Q2. (James 1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

People blame God either because of a lack of knowledge or because they don't want to accept responsibility for the outcome of a situation. I want to share a testimony wjere for me it was the latter. I had just arrived to work to do a night shift duty. After clocking in, I was heading to the office when I turned back and head to the platform instead so I can download movies on tablet to watch during the shift. I remember hearing a whisper 'Go to the office' but I ignored amd continued to the platform. I was the only one there. Shortly after I heard some voices so I just glimpsed back and continued my business. There was no cause for suspicion neither was there even a shadow hovering, when my tablet just gone. The way it happened has me baffled to this day. I didnt even see the hand coming to even make a defensive move. One then came infront of me to attempt to grab my bag but I took it even before he could. I shouted so he and the others ran off. Fastforward to 2days later when I believe I was in a more calm demeanour to talk to God about the incident ( I am learning to deal with my emotions). So I asked God, Why didn't you warn me? And the voice whispered, I did. It was then I remembered the whisper...Go to the office. So I then asked, Why did he allow the situation to happen? Why did He allow my tablet to get stolen because I had recently bought it? And as calm as ever the voice whispered 'This is what happens when you disobey my voice'. Now this hit really hard because I'm learning to hear God's voice and OBEY. So I then asked, 'You are teaching me this lesson at the expense of my life? What if the situation had turned out worse?' And the voice replied, This is what could happen when you disobey my voice.' And the questions went on and on, because I wanted to blame God rather than accept responsibility. I eventually did...because I knew all along I was to blame. And it pained me and I repented. I still struggle to obey God's voice because I'm unable to discern sometimes whether its His voice or mine. But I asked God to don't give up on me yet!

I think God allows ppl to sin and evil to exist for 3 reasons. 1) Primarily because He won't impose upon our freewill. 2) For His plan and purpose to prevail. Case in point, Judas Iscariot. What was meant for evil, God will use for good. Gen 50:20; Gen 15:16. 3) God can only recompense evil with evil...unless one repents; God will use those who have yielded their members unto unrighteousness to visit workers of iniquity and doers of evil.

Blaming our great God goes all the way back to the Garden of Eden when Adam said -It was that woman YOU gave me.  Someone said here that it is immaturity and I agree with that as well.  Evil has been with us ever since the Fall and we have an Adversary who stirs up evil within those who are not walking with God by faith.

Q2. People blame God for evil because they don’t fully understand who God is and everything He stands for. Sometimes it is easier to shift the blame to God rather than accepting that we ourselves have a tendency to evil and it is our own desires that lead us to do evil. God does not tempt us to evil. God is diametrically opposed to everything that is evil.God has given us free will. We can chooses good or evil, unfortunately many times we choose evil over good. All evil comes from satan who is evil through and through. God allows evil in the world, but it will not go on indefinitely it will come to an end. By allowing evil in the world we have the opportunity to choose to follow Jesus and bring Him glory or we can give into our sinful desires and please satan. 

On 12/17/2004 at 12:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is easier than taking responsibility for our sins. No. No. He gives us free will. Our sin and His forgiveness show us His grace and His power to change us. He gets all the glory for destroying death and sin and purchasing us for Himself.

On 12/17/2004 at 1:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because it is easy to blame someone else for our own shortcomings.

No, God doesn't tempt us with evil. 

He doesn't allow people to sin.  He has given everyone the right to chose - good or evil.    Do we listen to God or the father of lies (the devil)? 

Because Adam and Eve sinned and sin was passed down to all men, everyone who was born after them.  But God had a plan - He sent His Son Jesus to take care of sin by dying on the cross.  We need to choose Jesus.

On 12/18/2004 at 12:00 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Sin and evil got hold of us when we broke ties with God after creation. It was here to stay, but only to make God's redemption plan come true and be a catalyst of change for humanity thereafter. Sin and evil have a purpose to be like a mirror for us, always showing how fallen we are and how far we come away from God. Reminding us that we need to strive for holy lives as shown by Him. Sin and evil also exists to keep us humble and submitted to Him. Acknowledging that we need to depend on God and He alone can make things better. He never promised the evil to go away, but he wanted His children to overcome evil with His power and strength and always strive to be holy our whole lives. Be fragrant, the light and salt in this broken world. 

He has given Satan the freedom to create havoc and bring destruction in the world, until He comes back again. It is never His complete power, it is only the power God has given him to function on earth. That day is coming soon where is power is going to become zero and he will be crushed once and for all. On earth here we will always live imperfect lives because of sin, but this imperfect life of ours is also a journey to refine us and prepare us for the coming perfect eternal life. 

I think that people blame God because if He's all powerful, then He should be able to prevent evil from happening.  I answer that by thinking about the times that someone has the power to do something, but it doesn't mean they should do it.  Your boss has the power to tell you to do the dirtiest, ugliest job in the company, but the question is, should he give you that job.  For God, it's hard to look at evil and justify why God allows for it. 

He doesn't cause evil, but He doesn't stop it either. Saturday's shooting in Buffalo is an example of evil.   Why would God allow that?  I think it comes down to allowing us to have free will.  We get to have the decision to love God and follow His commands, but we also have the right to ignore God.  We have the right to ingest any media that we wish and there are consequences to ingesting media and thoughts that move our minds to something horrible.  WE face the consequences of our actions, as the shooter will, but as a consequence of free will, we also face the consequences of other people's actions, as the loved ones on the victims will.  I believe that God doesn't want to see any of his people suffer, but He has to allow it because it's a consequence of giving us free will.  

Recently I did tech for a play that included the statement that God keeps Himself ignorant of the future and completely hands off.  I wanted to have a sit down with the writer because that's not how God works.  I think He's aware and He grieves with us, but He has to watch the horrors that go on in the world because of His decision to let us make decisions and not be forced into doing right.  

Q2. (James 1:13-15)

Why do people blame God for evil?

Does God tempt us with evil?     No

Does he tempt sinful people with evil?    No

Why does he allow people to sin?   It is their choice

Why does he allow evil to exist at all?     It is a consequence of choices that it exists

In Genesis we read about the FALL. There we find one blaming the next one and finally blaming God.  That has not changed down through the ages. Always someone is sought to place the blame on.  

God has made us to be unique, not puppets that are all the  same.  We have been allowed to make our own choices.  We can choose to be obedient or not. There are consequences to both choices.

50 yrs ago 4 in our family of 6 members were killed.  That was not God that did that. The person causing that had made a wrong choice, by doing that he/she caused unspeakable pain and agony to others. To themselves probably yrs of guilt. A chain reaction could now have been set in motion. Bitterness  ,  hatred  ,   etc could have consumed us.  We had to choose.  Forgiveness,   resting in God,   finding quiet in the storm,    relying on Him to be able to move forward.

Was it easy? Of course not. But God kept His Word.  He never left us.   But it was not His fault.  It was the 

CHOICE of man that had a ripple effect.