JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Fear and a Bold Witness

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?

Being afraid of what people might think of us can keep us from witnessing for Christ. The biggest problem ( I believe) comes when we know how others perceive us, as we were once the perceivers of those witnessing to us at a time before our spiritual understanding.

Why does fear of people bind our tongues?

We know how they think.

How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life?

We are no longer bound by this world and it's worries. We are free to be whom we were created to be.

What fear is keeping your from clear witness?

Fear of what others might think or say where the things of the kingdom of God are concerned .. e.g. salvation, healing, prosperity, etc.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fear is paralysing emotionally, or alternatively fear produces panic reactions which interfere (pun not intended but it's a good one!) with our witness.

Fear of people has the paralysing effect of binding up our tongues.

To gain new life we have to cast off the old one. Do you wear this year's new coat on top of last year's old one? Or do the old clothes get thrown out to make way for the new ones? Similarly we can't wear the clothes of righteousness over the top of the clothing of sin and death. Fashionwise it is too cumbersome, and simply won't compute! We have a new garment to wear - how wonderful is that? We lose the old life and gain His abundant Life.

I am learning to be an overcomer in various areas of my life, because Revelation speaks a lot about crowns of life for those who overcome. I'm currently working on a habit that I don't want. At present my impoverished lifestyle does not give good witness to Christ as He has given us the means to prosper, so as part of my witness I need to overcome that problem. I have two good possibilities I'm working on there involving study in one case, and an internet business in the other. My family all prohibit me, as far as they can, from giving witness, but success in business could possibly help them see something new, and change that. I need to work on many aspects of my life to glorify God and improve my witness. I praise Him for the motivation to get going on this. I have a longing to see this new generation coming to Christ, and also to see a breakdown of the tremendous generation gaps that prevail in Western society, and there is a possibility of working with the chaplain in the local school for starters. That gives the local families a connection with our church. Fear of my own inadequacy is the one I have to overcome. All things are possible in Christ. Praise Him abundantly for His abundance!

How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?Why does fear of people

bind our tongues?How does losing our life for Christ's sake give us abundant life?What fear is keeping you from clear witness?

Fear can keep us from being a bold witness, because fear is not from God,

and if fear is in us, then God's love is not perfected in us."God has not given

us the spirit of fear, but of love and of power and of a sound mind". I believe

that fear is a result of a LACK OF TRUST in God to provide.

Fear of people bind our tongues, because we fear how people will react if

we witness to them; therefore, we are more concerned about our own

reputation, than for the reputation of God, our all sufficient one.

Losing our life for Christ's sake gives us abundant life, because it shows that

our lives are fully under the control of the leading of God. It also shows that

we trust that what God says in His Word, He will perform.

It has always been a desire of mine to witness with every opportunity I get,

but I sometimes fear, that the timing is not right, and I , therefore, may have

alienated someone unnecessarily.

How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?

We fear man more than we fear God.

Often we are afraid of what people will think of us,especially when witnessing to friends and family.

How does 'losing our life' for Christ's sake actually gives us abundant life?

When we give our lives to Christ,we have Him in our hearts.

When we die,we will be with Him in heaven.

What fear is keeping you from clear witness?

I have always been quiet and introverted even as a child.

Add being soft spoken and having speech difficulty to the mix and this makes for discomfort in trying to witness.

I'm also a loner,and at times just don't care for the company of people.

I do what I call silent witnessing.

Like I will place a tract for the server along with my tip at a restaurant or I will include a tract with my check when I pay a bill,etc

There's a pedicurist named Judy who has been doing my toenails for a few years now. I always leave her with a good tip and a gospel tract.

She also works at a restaurant where some of the ladies from my church go for lunch sometimes. If we get her as our server,I and usually one of the other ladies will leave a tract.

Tho I have talked with Judy about God and church in general, I have yet to bring up the gospel.

Then there has been times when God has given me a perfect opening to share my faith and I blew it.

For awhile I had the Christian fish symbol on my checks.

I was at a store one day,making out a check for my purchases,when the clerk asked me if I had the fish on my check because my last name was Bass.

Instead of taking advantage of this open door,I just told her 'no I didn't.'

And the thing was,I am a regular at this store and have known this clerk for a few years.

Anyway,I have since switched to a cross on my checks since that is probably less confusing to non Christians.

I believers who can go right up to a stranger,share the gospel.and have the person accept Christ then.

However,I have difficulty talking to people I know, just about every day things,let only trying to witness to them.

Finally,I know this is a poor excuse,but until I can deal with the sin in my life and learn to give Jesus complete contol over every area, I know I will never be an effective witness. :unsure:

We seem to fear what other people will think of us and if we will do everything the way another would do it. We know that is it wrong and we need to be bold for Christ Jesus. The word says perfect love cast out all fear we need to increase our love for Jesus and less for ourselves.

Seem satan is always attacking the mind. He tells us we do not know what we are talking about and in turn we start to believe him. What if they say that is not right well to stop this fear we need to know the word then we will not have the fear of what others will say about us.

How does 'losing our life' for Christ's sake actually gives us abundant life?

As Paul said for me to die is gain. When we leave this world if we are a child of God we move to heaven to be with Jesus and that is much better than anything that is offered here on this earth. We should long to see his face to be with Jesus and cry out to him Come Lord Jesus.

For me it is just what I said before that I may not remember where the scripture is found or might quote it and it not be the words as it is written in the bible. With so many other bibles now days it don't seem to bother me as much. I do want to read more and learn more at all times so I can share boldly with others. Also the fear of them not wanting to except Jesus into their lives. But we must remember we plant the seed it is Jesus who gives the increase others water and some may even help it grow but we are to plant that seed. Praise the Lord.

It is one thing to publicly preach on the streets, where it can be still practised. It is another thing to boldly standup for Christ when we are with friends or casual acquaintances, when a reference of religion comes up. I am guilty of not standing firm in many such situations. However, oflate , I am able to witness for Christ with the help of Holy Spirit and have no fear for life.

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why

does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life"

for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is

keeping your from clear witness?

Fear cripples us up. Keeps us from doing what we know we should be doing. We don't speak out about Christ cauase we fear their reaction. We don't like to be made to look stupid. We don't speak out because we are afraid of what others will think of us.

But when we live for Christ and completely give ourselves to him. We shouldn't be afraid to speak out what we believe that they to may choose to be saved. Our lives are richer whe we can get past our fears and speak for Christ anyway. Something I am still working on. :rolleyes:

My fear is looking stupid to others and afraid of doing something that will cause others not like me. Pray for me to lose these fears please. So I can be free to speak out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fear can keep us from being a bold witness. It can even make us ashame and that is because of Satan. Most are too afraid to witness for fear of what others will say or do to them. We are just too busy worrying about what others think and say that we forget that it is God who we are to please, not man.

Because Jesus Christ suffered and died for us because he loved mankind.

I am proud to testify that I do not have any fear of serving and witnessing. I have a fear though that because I am human that I will make a mistake and make God unhappy but one joy I have is that he knows my heart and will know that nothing would be done intentionally.

• 3 weeks later...

FEAR TO ME IS DOUBT.DO WE NOT BELIEVE IN GOD?FEAR IS A SPIRIT THAT CAN BIND YOU.WE MUST PRAY TO BE RELEASED FROM THAT FEAR.YES PEOPLE SAY CRUEL THINGS BUT WE HAVE TO BE BOLD AND SPEAK THE TRUTH. THERE IS A LOT OF WORDLY TROUBLES,BUT WE MUST KEEP IN OUR MINDS THAT EVEN IF WE DIE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE THAT WE WOULD BE REMOVED FROM WORDLY TROUBLES AND WE WOULD SEE CHRIST.WE MUST BE CERTAIN OF OUR ETERNAL LIFE THAT OUR DESTINY IS IN CHRIST JESUS THEN WE WILL HAVE FREEDOM.

• 3 weeks later...

Q 3-

Fear sometimes takes a life of its own. With imagine fears of how or what others might think of our witnessing. We assume we know what they are thinking, which is somehow what we thought at one point or other. But when we get to know our Lord Jesus, and look to him for the words that needs to be said, the fear somehow calms. Then the holy spirit is able to work through me and puts down my fear.

Losing our life for Jesus and that gives us abundant life. I think has two meaning. At least for me, First, when we boldly witness, the lord blesses me here on earth. Secondly, if I hold firm to Jesus, and if I die without faultering in the face of evil, then I'll will be blessed in heaven.

My fear is: will frankly, not saying things right. When I look toward my self, instead of jesus, I say all the wrong things. Which doesn't bring people to Jesus, but drives them away. But when I take the "I" out of it, and just state what God's word says, I do so much better. I have to let God control, not me.

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping you from clear witness?
Philippians 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Fear keep's one focused on the desire's of the flesh and is of the flesh, and subdues life.

To Live abundantly In Christ one must realize that the Abundance is not here on Earth. Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven.....In all you do, do for the glory of God! As you move on in this life, In Christ, you will see for yourself just how rewarding it is. A big key to understanding Scripture is knowing where to rightly divided It! The Truth prevails and It is Awesome. Would you be afraid of what someone can do to your vile body anyway, and for that, one that there is no good thing in?

Have you received/believed the Gospel of God in Vain?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

FEAR IS A TOOL OF THE DEVIL TO HINDER US IN OUR WITNESS FOR JESUS.I WAS A BOLD WITNESS FOR THE LORD UNTIL I WAS HINDERED BY A FAMILY MEMBER AND NOW I JUST GIVE OUT TRACTS. PLEASE PRAY THAT THE LORD WILL HELP ME TO OPEN MY MOUTH AND WITNESS FOR HIS GLORY ONCE MORE.

FEAR OF PEOPLE OR FEAR OF BEING REJECTED CAUSES US TO KEEP OUR MOUTH SHUT AND SILENTLY PRAY FOR THEM.I CONSTANTLY HAVE TO REMIND MYSELF THAT I WAS NOT BORN WITH A SPIRIT OF FEAR BUT OF POWER, LOVE AND A SOUND MIND..2 TIM1:7.

LOSING MY LIFE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE AND SURRENDERING MY LIFE AND MY WILL TO HIS WILL FOR ME IS THE BLESSED LIFE.FOR WHEN I ABIDE IN HIM AND HE ABIDES IN ME I CAN REST IN HIS LOVE AND I WILL BE FREE FROM HINDRANCES BECAUSE I'VE LAID MYSELF ASIDE AND HE'S FREE TO WORK THROUGH ME TO HELP OTHERS.

FEAR OF BEING MOCKED AND RIDICULED BY MY FAMILY WHEN I WITNESS TO OTHERS.MY FAMILY ARE USUALLY AROUND WHEN I WITNESS AND SOMETIMES THEY MAKE FUN OF ME .ONE OF MY FAMILY MEMBER HASNT ACCEPTED CHRIST AS SAVIOUR AS YET.I'M STILL PRAYING FOR HIM , OF COURSE....GOD BLESS.

• 9 months later...

Fear often manifests itself as a lack of confidence in one's abilities, in this case, the ability to confront someone with the Good News. We become tongue tied simply because we are affraid of rejection.

When we are dead in Christ we lose our life, we are dead to sin and the cares of this world. The abundant life that we attain is spiritual growth, becoming more like Him, able to have godliness and contentment, which is great gain. True wealth!

I believe that the fear that I stated above was me and to a degree, may still be. I know though, that as I get deeper and deeper into this walk, ever in the word and more often in the Spirit, my confidence is growing and the fear is disappearing.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping you from clear witness?

Fear prevents us from being a bold witness when we look for the approval of man instead of God. We look to please our friends, family, co-workers and even our church bretheren. We are afraid of offending others, we serve a good God, not a nice God. Turning a blind eye to sin, is not what the Bible tells us to do. We are to stand for truth! We forget what Paul and the Apostles went through. Peter was told over and over not to speak in the name of Christ, but he continued. As Christians we are to live for Christ. That is what this verse is telling us, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." What are your motives for claiming to be of Christ?! The biggest reason anyone fails to be a bold witness is because, they don't know Jesus. They know about Him, but don't know Him or His love. For one who is in a true loving relationship with our Savior, fears no one. "TO LIVE IS CHRIST!", to many "Christians" claim it, but don't live it! For them it is "to live is money" or "to live is career", or "to live is my education", Christ in reality is just a part of their lives, not the Lord of all their lives"

Our fear at times is being thought of as a zealot. To many churches are teaching "Come as you are!", and true Jesus said that, but he NEVER said "Stay as you are!". The biggest reason one lacks in being a bold witness for Christ is THE LACK OF A TRULY CONVERTED HEART!

• 5 months later...

I lived in fear so much in my past life and isolated myself from others. It is the same with being a bold witness when some are scared to speak out to others because of becoming an outcast. When we "lose our lives" for Christ we become so bold you come to the point of only caring about Christ and his view of you.

• 2 months later...

Paul was chosen by God to be his advocate, to promote and grow the early church and it's gospel. He was fearless. Peter denied the Lord three times, he let his fear of death and imprisonment keep him from being a bold witness for the Lord. Our fears can be just as debilitating. The fear of being rebuked by our peers or our love ones, or the fear of having our beliefs challenged and belittled can stop any one of us from being a powerful advocate for the Lord. Sometimes our faith is weak or we have questions about what is right and what is wrong. We become indecisive, weak and lack direction.

I "give up my life to the Lord" I bend to his will, I pray for his guidance. I let the spirit lead me. By my faith and thru the holy spirit I am saved and my life is full of joy.

• 3 weeks later...

The opposite of fear is courage which I would define as the quality of all other good character traits at their testing point. Paul displays great courage in being in jail. This loss of liberty (,a condition of his environment) does not effect his freedom ( a condition of the mind) as Paul continues to speak and write his mind.

Fear is

• 1 month later...

we all face fear in some way or another. somedays i fear for my kids and my mind gets locked up on them. there are times i would rather have the floor swallow me up than to get up in front of a crowd and talk. and i dont like to think about flying 3500 feet off the ground nor swimming with fish that have big teeth, or anything else that would try and eat you alive. but one thing i know, is that when my thoughts are set on the lord, no matter what comes around me, nor how bad i mumble out my testimony, i have strength and peace and assurance from him.

Fear can keep us from being a bold witness because instead of going forth where we may find opportunities for witnessing we recoil and not venture in these areas.

Afraid that what we have to say will be dismissed and not accepted by them.

How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life?

"Losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life as we dedicate ourselves to the service of God and allow God's will to be manifested in us. His will in our lives will indeed be "abundant living."

The fear of not saying the right words.

• 1 month later...

Fear can freeze us into inactivity for the Lord. Fear causes us to lose focus on our thoughts, thus freezing the tongue.

Losing our life for Christ's sake actually gives us an abundant life because we are focusing on ultimate importance and worth vice anything below that standard.

At this moment, praise God, I have no fear that is preventing me from witnessing to others about Jesus Christ.

• 6 months later...

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping your from clear witness?

I have definitely been afraid to speak about Christ, especially to strangers, and even when I have sensed it was God telling me to do it. My fear kept me from being obedient to the one who saved me by being obedient, even to death on the cross.

Fear binds us because we allow it, we give in to it, we focus on it more than on Christ's love which compels us. Fear of people is strong because we are social creatures and we strongly believe that we are susceptible to the favor of others. If we displease them, then they will have power over us, and can have a negative influence on our lives...and we don't want that. We want positive, good feelings, all the time.

Losing our lives can mean that we loose our idea that our lives on dependent on what other people think. We might have the idea that our lives would be better if other people think well of us, but if we 'lose our lives' then it no longer should matter what other people think, because we would no longer care how their influence would affect our lives, one way or the other. The only thing that would matter is what we do for Christ in obedience to him, and as his love compels us. And Christ's promise is clear - he came to bring us an abundant life, so the longer we keep holding on to the old one, the less chance we have of living the life that he has in store for us.

I fear losing my stature and of not fitting in. I don't want to be 'that guy who always talks about Jesus all the time'. However, as one of the other writers put it, I do tend to bring up my faith in personal conversations, and try to witness in a one-on-one kind of way. I'm not sure if that's all that God wants from me, so I'll have to wait and see what comes up...case by case.

"Lord, give me the strength to be a bold witness for you."

• 2 weeks later...

In my case I don't even call it fear--I just find it hard to open a conversation about God. We all have insecurities when it comes to what others think of us so we stay silent.

We have to totally surrender to Christ and then we will realize that everything comes from him and that he wants the best for us--to have life and to have it more abundantly.

I just need boldness and I do pray for God to open the door for me to witness.

• 3 months later...

Fear will cause us to take our eyes off Jesus and then we lose our confidence to witness for the Lord. Again it's our confidence that causes us to fear what people will think or say to us. The life we have with Jesus is so much more fulfilling than the life we had without him. Life with Christ is so much more abundant than without him in it. The fear I have of witnessing is that they just don't want to hear it.