JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Christian Citizenship

Q4. (3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship? How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19? What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?

Recognizing and affirming my citizenship and allegiance determines my priorities and the seriousness of my commitment to being a disciple of Jesus Christ. The stronger the desire to like Jesus Christ the stronger the desire to break away from those things that are not consistent with being a disciple of Jesus Christ.

The danger of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship is to confuse priorities and interests. The interest of the Church and the Christian are the interests of the Kingdom of God on this planet with an eye towards the Kingdom of Heaven.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Q4. (3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship? How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19? What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?

As I focus on my eternal goal with God , others can experience the same relationship that I have excepted , and God has excepted me as being in His family, the family of God, as His daughter. He has room for all that want to become sons and daughters by way of His invitation "Come".

How does it keep us from temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19? That we stay true disciples of the Gosple of Christ Jesus so when we are in contact of those false teachers , Paul called them enemies of the cross of Christ, we are not to be as they are thinking of themseves, and who mind earthly things, But we as deciples "stand firm in the Lord", rebuke Satan and his temptatios in the name of Jesus and stay focus on Christ Jesus.

• 5 months later...

Sue D :) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegience vital to discipleship? How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in Vs. 18 & 19?

When we say the Pledge of Allegence in church on Memorial Day, the 4th of July, Veteran's Day, we are remembering those who have given their lives in service to their country. We salute the American flag in respect for our country. We are expected to obey the laws of the land or face consequences of disobedience.

What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?

Actually -- I started answering this last question along with the first question. Probably because the Christian has dual citizenship. While we are anticipating our home in Heaven, we are very much here on earth until then. In church -- at least the Baptist churches I've been in, we have both Christian flag and American flags. We pledge allegience to both flag's on patriotic holidays. And it seems like we do the same for opening day of VBS or for the closing program.

Bible tells us we are to obey the laws of the land as long as they do not contradict Scripture. We are to be respectful to our elected leaders whether we agree with them or not. We are to vote our conscience. We are told to respect the office even if we don't like who got elected into that office. We are to obey Scripture whether we agree or not.

I've heard of people who are so Heavenly minded they are no earthly good. There needs to be a balance. We are here on earth to spread Gospel to the unsaved. So while we are at our jobs we are to act like Christ is right there next to us -- so that the unsaved can see Christ through us. Many times we will be made fun of or ridiculed for our- non usage of bad language or our not listening to the 'stories' or being the only one who is not smoking a cigarette during break times. And we are also supposed to give our full attention to our jobs.

Our neighbors need to see us going to church and not arguing, swearing -- or acting in an unGodly way in between those religious activities. Some folk see church people as being hyprocrites because Other than being in church, we don't act any differently than They do.

The danger that some pastors find themselves in is using the pulpit to influence their congregations on who to vote for. A pastor can encourage his congregation To vote and then to vote according to our own conscience.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship?

Knowing to which Kingdom I belong, helps me to stay focused on the goal, and keeps me from trying to straddle the fence between the two. My citizenship is in God's kingdom, I'm only traveling through this world, and though I live here, my destiny is in Heaven, and is where my treasures are being stored.

How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19?

Those temptations are "to walk as an enemy of the Cross", and according to the "lusts of the flesh". When my focus is on my true citizenship and my true King, my submission is to Him rather than to my flesh or the temporal.

What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?

I think it would cause undue conflict between the two. I'm a very patriotic American, and I love my Country, but I love my Lord and His Kingdom more. However, I also live here, the laws of the land bind me to obedience as I'm instructed in Rom. 13. I pray for those in authority, and take part in helping to choose those leaders. My local church is located here and is made up of fellow American citizens, and thankfully, some from overseas as well. But to overly stress temporal patriotism, could draw the "eyes" of those who are uncertain of their true destiny to a too deep connection to this world.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (3:18-21)

Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship?

It is only by being occupied with heavenly things that we know where our heart will be. We read in Matthew 6:21,

• 7 months later...

Knowing who your are and what your goals are help us to remain focused - help us to continue in our efforts striving to achieve that goal. . . A failure ot recognize and affirm who we are and what our goal is - results in complancy and can also result in us giving up all together. . .

We are "in the world but not of this world" - understanding this will keep us focused on the right thing. . . Trying to please the world and at the same time progress or grow in God is an impossible task - it will never happen. . So in spite of a church trying to combine temporal patriotism with our true Christian citizenship - we must undrstand that there is a choice we have to make - and we MUST make the RIGHT CHOICE. . .

Joshua 24:15 (NLT)

15 But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.

• 3 weeks later...

We need to be focused on heaven.

Otherwise we get focused on the things of the world.

Temporal is the opposite of everlasting.

Heaven is everlasting - hell too.

• 4 months later...

It is vital for me to recognize and affirm my citizenship and allegiance to discipleship, because it identifies to others that Christ is living in me and my home is Heaven. In which, I am striving to see someday.

Focusing on my citizenship in Heaven, and my allegiance to God keeps me from the temptations of Satan and the world, because my mind is set on Heavenly things (Colossians 3:1-2; Philippians 3:20).

Colossians 3:1-2 -

• 11 months later...

Q4. (3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship?

The disciple Paul affirmed his citizenship as he forgot the past and pressed forward, pressing forward is recognizing that God has a higher calling on those who have citizenship in the Kingdom of God, therefore, as a citizen, our "allegiance" is now to labor, by pressing forward to that higher calling, calling its citizens to press forward to that of "perfection", (growth) - growing in Him is affirming our conversation, it is what our hearts are striving towards, for the Messiah is not coming for a lukewarm bride, he is coming for the bride that is "pressing forward", making herself ready, and if we be otherwise minded, God will let us know.

The Kingdom of God is not a kingdom for the "carnal" its calling is higher than that, its citizenship is that of "holiness" - our allegiance is to Christ, He gave to us robes of "righteousness" that we are to wear, to put on, and to walk in, as a citizen of God's kingdom while here on earth, we are to leave behind, those temptations of the world.

There is great "DANGER" if we think citizenship in God’s kingdom does not call for our allegiance to Christ, and if we think otherwise, God will let us know, lukewarm does not cut it. :mellow:

• 8 months later...

Recognition of our heavenly citizenship and allegiance is vital because we belong to Christ and look forward to His return. This hope is what keeps us from being enemies of the cross and it takes our minds off earthly things. The dangers of a church to confuse temporary concepts of patriotism with true Christian citizenship is temporary things do not last. Christians are citizens of heaven and Jesus will return to get us and transform us into His image.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 3:18-21
Q). Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship?
A). It is vital for our discipleship to recognize and affirm our heavenly citizenship and allegiance because an earthly mindset will result in destruction. Paul affirms elsewhere that an earthly mindset doesn't mean entering the Kingdom of God, but its opposite
#
Q). How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19?
A). Paul says these opponents "live as enemies of the cross of Christ." The cross of Christ is the way of suffering and self-denial, in sharp contrast with a self-indulgent lifestyle that glories in the activities of which one should instead be ashamed. It is an earthly mindset that will result in destruction.
#
Q). What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?
A). Temporal patriotism looks up to earthly leaders while heavenly patriotism acknowledges only Jesus as the true 'leader'. Jesus said it best in his sermon on  the mount: "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." -Matthew 6:24.

• 5 months later...

Paul tells us that as followers of the Lord Jesus that our citizenship, our conversation, is with Heaven. We therefore have a responsibility, as citizens of the kingdom of God.We are to follow the principle of the great command to love your God and your neighbour as yourself. If we do not keep this commandment of Jesus (basically following the objectives of Luke 4:16-20) than we are not citizens of Heaven. and as such we lose not only our responsibilities to the Kingdom of God but also the benefits of the judicial order that protects us. (Karl  Barth, The Epistle to the Philippians,( London: SCM Press, 1962, 114-115)  

part b: These temptations are all around us today, television, internet abound with evil temptations and if we are not fortified by God's judicial order of the kingdom than we will probably fall victim. The lack of church attendance  is a cause in the decline of morals and a non understanding of God as a comforter and strengthener leads to  all kinds of problems with young people of all ages.

The dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship are very strong- we need only to look to Germany and the growth of the third Reich in the thirties. 

• 1 year later...

It is vital to recognize and affirm that my citizenship and allegiance is vital to my discipleship because then I will do all that I can for the kingdom. I will let some of those thing that seem to bug me I will be let go. It will keep me from the temptation because I know where I will be going when I are done in this body. Now that I know this I know that I will do all we can for the kingdom.

The danger of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian’s true citizenship is that we will try to conform to this world.

• 4 weeks later...

Remembering that my first allegiance is to the Kingdom of God is vital to being Christ's disciple because it gives purpose to my life here.  Otherwise, my goals would be to reach for everything this life has to offer that is self-gratifying.  With Heaven as my focus, I am reminded to reach for spiritual things-the things God has called me for in Christ Jesus. Nothing in this life is permanent.  A church, a marriage, a friendship, a government....all can change overnight, bringing conflict to my devotion to Christ.  When that happens, I must follow my allegiance to Christ first, and re-prioritize everything else.

• 1 year later...

It has everything to do with who we are & what we choose to do--always having in our mind our real home and the values of things on earth do not compare.

Our desires are of the Lord--not physical things.

God wants us to honor those who have fought for our country. It does not take away from our worship of God. He died for us to pay the price for our sins. Freedom is not free.

(3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship? How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19? What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?  

Recognizing and affirming my citizenship and allegiance is vital to discipleship because it shows the world that I am a child of God.  Our focused should be on heaven and not the things of this world.   

If we don't call a spade a spade what do we have.  Something vague and no identity.

My identity lies solidly in Christ and heaven is my home that I am journeying too.  Right now I am already in eternity with Christ as His.  He redeemed me with a price and I love being His and as His my loyalty belongs to Him.  I am sort of in school here to learn and grow in Christ.  To be ready for my permanent home  in 'a better country'.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

We need to understand why we choose to follow Christ in order to be able to affirm our citizenship in heaven. Heaven should be our focus, not things in this world. That's the purpose of keeping our eyes on the prize, which is living eternity we Christ in heaven. If the church combine and confuse the concepts of a Christians true citizenship which is heaven, the congregation will not know that we are to live our lives following Christ in order to go to heaven.

Q4. (3:18-21) 

Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship? 

We have to remain focused on Kingdom things, not allowing earthly things to become more important and eventually distract us. 

Things of the flesh like food, clothing, honour, comfort, sex, money, and pleasure, should be taking a back-seat.

Once these things take root, we carry on as if we are going to live on earth forever. They are grounded into our lifestyles and not easily shaken off. 

Jesus emphasized that His true followers, the citizens of God’s kingdom, were to be entirely different from others.

In Matthew 6:8a, Jesus told us: “Do not be like them.”

As Christians, we are not to follow the example of people around us, but rather from Him, and so prove to be genuine children of our Heavenly Father.

This will keep us protected from the earthly temptations since we have a completely different value-system, ethical standard, attitude to money, ambition, and mind-set – all of which are totally at variance with those of the non-Christian world. 

I try to remember that we are to shine like lights in the prevailing darkness. 

There is no time for complacency, we are all sinners by nature, and we are on a slippery slope and can easily give in to worldly values – becoming enemies of the Cross of Christ. 

Q4. (3:8-10)

Q. What does it mean to "know" Christ? Does this mean to have faith? Or to have a personal relationship?

A. To know Christ means having intimate personal relationship with Him as we grow through fellowship with Him through bible study and prayers.

Q. Is it possible to have a personal relationship with Christ without faith? Is it possible to have faith without a personal relationship? Where are you on your quest to know Christ?

A. No. It is not possible to have a personal relationship with Christ without faith in Him. It is however possible to have faith in Him without having a personal relationship with Him. This is as a result of lack growth due to lack of thirst to really have an intimate relationship with him thorough Bible study, creating quiet time to sit before Him in prayers, listening to Him through the pages of the bible or through waiting and hearing His small but audible voice.

First we need to understand why some of the baptised Christians in Paul’s time had lived their life in debauchery.  Just like the Jews of old time, once people break God’s law they fall into sin.

Exo 32:5  And when Aaron saw it, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation, and said, To morrow is a feast to the LORD.

Exo 32:6  And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play.

Exo 32:7  And the LORD said unto Moses, Go, get thee down; for thy people, which thou broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves:

Exo 32:8  They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

Christians are not an exception; if Christians break God’s commandments, they too fall into sin. Thus, it is the reason for Paul to declare:

Php 3:18  (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

Php 3:19  Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

The Western world has been built for more than a thousand years under the influence of the Roman empire; though the Bible has been used as its moral foundation, but God’s ten commandments have been violated.  Therefore its fruit is a sinful world and the majority of people are living for the flesh and the true god in their hearts is not Jesus Christ.

Gal 5:19  Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Gal 5:20  Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

Gal 5:21  Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The Roman empire has expanded its territory to the entire world under the cover of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and it is now taken full control of the world via its multitude occult movements and organisations.  It is fulfilling the prophecy of Revelation 13:1-10.

Any Christian who want to stay faithful to Christ Jesus, should deny that political and religious system, and return to the Gospel.  They should abide to God’s commandments and live by the Word of God alone.  They should expect to be rejected by the society and be persecuted like millions of Christians who shed their blood during the inquisition time (about 700 years, from 1231 A.D to 1826).

Christians must always remember that the Kingdom of Jesus Christ is not on earth, hence their citizenship is not in this world. 

Joh 18:36  Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Many Christian churches have established their kingdom on earth, they have all claimed to have millions and billions of members, but they are all false kingdoms.  They are all children of Babylon the Great, the Mother of Harlots.

Rev 17:5  And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

No man can be immune from sin unless he keep God’s commandments.  It is God’s commandments that will help him to show his faithfulness to Jesus Christ and be worthy to receive the grace of salvation that Jesus Christ has paid for him with His own blood.

Realizing and affirmation of our citizenship and our allegiance is vital to our discipleship because we are alien's here on earth. Our country or home is in heaven with God.

Realizing our affirmation should keep us from temptation that only worldly desires have which have no benefit to our daily Christian life.

Temporal living in our church is a danger because we will loss our focus of living for Christ. We are to live a disciplined life similar to Christ and the Apostles, not one that leads to desires in the world's fleshly desires.     

Q4. (3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and 

allegiance vital to discipleship? How does it keep us from the 

temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19? What are the dangers of a 

church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism 

with a Christian's true citizenship?

1. Our citizenship is in heaven.The New Testament reminds us that our 

citizenship is in the Kingdom of God; here on earth we are to consider 

ourselves exiles and aliens in a foreign land (Hebrews 11:8-10, 13; 

1 Peter 1:17; 2:11). 

1. We must remember it affirms elsewhere that this direction doesn't mean 

entering the Kingdom of God, but its opposite (Romans 8:5-8; 

1 Corinthians 6:9-11; Galatians 5:17-21; Ephesians 5:5). If we want to 

live for Christ, we must obey completely.

1. It is an earthly mindset that will result in destruction ("loss, destruction, 

annihilation, ruin") That destruction will cause us to go to hell of fire 

when Jesus comes back.  

Shalom to the Saints by Faith in Messiah Yahshua.

GREETINGS:

1.My citizenship is in heaven, I'm not from around here. My allegiance/loyalty is to Yahweh and Yahshua. My discipleship is being a replica of My King, Yahshua.

2. It keeps me focused on the stake, dying to the old man putting on the new man. I do what the Messiah did and said. When I focus on Messiah I do not make my stomach my god, I don't glory in shame nor do I mind earthly things.

3. When the church is married to the state, by having a 501 C (3), they are denying Messiah because the government controls what they can preach in their church. The government wants the people to claim them as their god that's why you can't do anything without their permission or contract.

This happens by way of birth certificate, once your parents sign that birth certificate you become CHATTEL PROPERTY, number, and you become a person. A person is a Corporation, business. THE GOVERNMENT steals your true identity a living soul created by Yah to becoming a fictitious person, Corp.

The Contracts you take out with the government means you have to get their permission, to work, SSN number, to get married, a marriage certificate, numbered, to drive you have to have a drivers number, to fish you have to have a fishing license, number and when you die you have to have a death certificate so who ownsyou? Do the government can clip in on your insurance, each bond is insured.

That's why our men have no choice in being drafted, they are chattel property once we sign a birth certificate. That's why we have to send our children to school, that's why we can't discipline them the way the Scripture states, because they call that child abuse.

I had a friend of mine a Christian she went to Fidelity Trust and got the original birth certificate of her son, it had been sold on the market and traded in other countries. If you look close to your birth certificate you will see in fine print, American Banknote. I am a teller and a banknote means money.... wake up..,

He who the Son sets free is free indeed. If you want out of the system ask Yah for a new name, Yah named Abram to Abraham when coming out of Chaldean, BAbylon,that's what we can do in coming out of the world we did and Yahweh gave us all new names. Don't feed the system.

HalleluYah

With much love in Messiah,

FAITH