JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Prayer with Thanksgiving

WHEN I PRAY TO GOD I DO LIKE TO THANK HIM FOR THE THINGS HE HAS ALREADY DONE FOR ME AND MY FAMILY. GOD HAS ANSWERED A LOT OF MY PRAYERS AND I AM THANKFUL.MORE THANKFUL THAN WORDS CAN BE EXPRESSED TO GOD.I THANK HIM FOR THE AIR I BREATH,AND FOR HIS BEAUTIFUL CREATION.GOD IS OUR CREATOR OF EVERYTHING.THANKSGIVING AFFECTS MY FAITH BECAUSE GOD HAS SHOWN ME WHAT HE CAN DO WNEN I GO TO HIM IN PRAYER.I HAVE SEEN PRAYER ANSWERED FOR MY FRIENDS.I HAVE HEARD THEM THANK GOD AS THEY ARE IN PRAYER.WHEN I SEE HOW GOD HAS TAKEN OVER THINGS IN MY LIFE,THAT I MYSELF COULD DO NOTHING ABOUT,THAT ALONE BUILDS MY FAITH.PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH GOD.I WISH I COULD JUST TELL EVEYONE THE THINGS GOD HAS DONE FOR ME AND MY FAMILY.THERE HAS BEEN SOME COMPLETE TURN AROUNDS(180'S) "ALL THROUGH PRAYER"THANK YOU LORD JESUS. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MANY TIMES GOD IS LOOKING AT OUR ATTITUDE IN PRAYER AS WE BRING OUR PETITIONS BEFORE HIM.WHEN I PRAY, I THANK HIM IN ADVANCE FOR HEARING ME AND FOR THE ANSWERS TO MY PRAYER.I DONT JUST GO TO HIM WITH A PRAYER LIST BUT AS AN INTERCESSOR I'M ALWAYS MIXING PRAYER WITH PRAISE AND THANKSGIVING NOT JUST FOR THE ANSWERS BUT BECAUSE OF WHO HE IS AND WHAT HE MEANS TO ME.

THANKSGIVING STRENGTHENS OUR FAITH. WHEN I PRAY AND THANK HIM IN ADVANCE FOR THE ANSWERS WHICH I HAVE NOT SEEN AS YET, WHICH IS THANKING HIM BY FAITH FOR THE ANSWERS, THEN MY FAITH IN GOD IS STRENGTHENED NOT ONLY AS I PRAY BUT ALSO WHEN I SEE HIS FAITHFULNESS IN BRINGING THE RESULTS IN HIS TIMING....GOD BLESS....

• 9 months later...

Off all of the the effects that thanksgiving has on our prayers the most obvious to me is the demonstration of our faith that the Father will answer our prayer in according to what He sees as our need and our acceptance of what He sees as best for us. Without thanksgiving our prayer is doubtful, faithless.

• 11 months later...

Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer?

A request in prayer is altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer as we enter an attitude of remembering God's faithfullness, love, and power in past situations, and because of this our expectation of His answer in the present situation is covered in faith.

How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?

Thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray because our faith is boosted and we experience God's power, presence and love in working out our situations in answer to past prays. Thus as we pray we do so in faith believing for an answer from our God.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer? How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?

it shows that we are not just blowing smoke. my kids love to get toys.but they sure don't like to pick them up or take care of them. they simply arn't thankful in the deepest manner of appreciation yet they want more and more. now i still give them toys but i also want to teach them what is right about taking care of their gifts.as they learn, the value of their toys becomes different. we must never stop learning about god and what he has done for us. we must learn to appreciate gods tremendous gift to each of us. once we learn.we no longer just take for ourselves, we start giving with thanks.

Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer? How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?

When i pray in thanksgiving, i am saying that God has done it for me before and He shall surely do it again. I ma being grateful for what He has done before, is doing and continues to do. Not only that, i am saying, "Lord i thank you for this need", if i had everything i need in life, if i was content, it will come to a point where i am too self-centred to even go before the Lord. Even when needs are not met, thanking the Lord for enabling you to have a relationship with Him goes a long way. When you ask for something from anyone and you never say please or thank you, chances are the next time you ask, you might not receive.

Thanksgiving increases our faith as we pray. We are confirming who He is. If i list all the things He has dine for me then i will be a fool not to have faith in the Almighty.

• 1 month later...

Not only are we thanking God for what He has already done for us, but we are thanking God for what He is going to do for us. Thanksgiving conveys to God our love, faith, and confidence in Him.

Thanksgiving affects my faith as I pray in that it reminds me of who God is and what He has done in the past. It reminds me of His awesomeness and that fact that He loves me and is in control.

• 6 months later...

I am already thanking God in advance letting him know I not only trust him for an answer but that I am thankful regardless of the answer.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

When I show thanksgiving I am showing my faith in Jesus Christ, and it is a language of giving thanks to Him through and in my prayers.

Thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray. When I show my thanks by way of pray in thanksgiving, my faith is deepen and my relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ in our conversation in pray deepen.

• 6 months later...

Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer?

When thanksgiving is added to the request, the prayer becomes one of faith to a loving Father, with expectancy that He will meet the need in the best possible way.

Thanksgiving for past answers, care, or intervention, stirs and calls to mind faith to believe Him for the present situations. God responds to faith...without faith it is impossible to please God..." Heb.11:6

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Our prayers are to be made in the midst of giving thanks. Praying with thanksgiving shows we remember God's faithfulness, love, and power.

Thanksgiving is the language of faith. In a past lesson, Pastor Ralph writes (summarized)that the core of Christian faith is that we believe Jesus died on the cross for our sins and was raised from the dead for our salvation. Either it is true or it isn't. Either the crucifixion and resurrection happened in history and are spiritual facts or are myths. We believe it happened! It removed sin and guilt from us. So what does faith have to do with it? Everything! Faith confirms what God had done and activates salvation for oneself. Abram believed and God credited it to him as righteousness............there is a clear linkage between faith (believing) and salvation (righteousness)

The point is that giving thanks, when we pray, engages God in conversation and confirms what God has done. With our prayers, petitions, and requests in thanksgiving comes the expectation of an answer. This is faith.......the expecation of an answer.

• 3 months later...

Thanksgiving is an indication that you have faith in God - that you believe His Word and are standing on His promises. . . Thanksgiving says that you believe that He has already done what you are petitioning Him for. . .

Hebrews 11:1-3 (NKJV)

1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2 For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.

3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Romans 4:16-21 (NKJV)

16 Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace, so that the promise might be sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all

17 (as it is written, "I have made you a father of many nations") in the presence of Him whom he believed--God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did;

18 who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, according to what was spoken, "So shall your descendants be."

19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah's womb.

20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God,

21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.

2 Corinthians 5:7 (NKJV) For we walk by faith, not by sight.

Isaiah 65:24 (NKJV)

24 "It shall come to pass That before they call, I will answer; And while they are still speaking, I will hear.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Prayer without thansgiving is just an egoistic list of wishes.

Thanksgiving shows trust and makes it more powerful.

If one should ask me to do something and he didn't even thank me afterwards, I wouldn't help him again.

God wants credit for His work.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer? :unsure:

I think of Jesus, when the rabbi Jesus took the five loaves, and two fishes, he looked up to heaven and gave "THANKS" - the object of His blessing, his thanksgiving was "God", King of the universe, Jesus prayer was that of giving "THANKS" to God, the One who brings forth bread from the earth.

I too believe "thanksgiving" is the key element that is missing from many of our prayers.

I believe that "faith" and "thanksgiving" go hand in hand, a prayer that does not come from a "thankful heart" is not a prayer of "faith" - it is rooted in "self" - self is what the Cross has called us to come out of, for in its place we were given a new "circumcised" heart, that of love and thankfulness.

• 2 months later...

a)When we pray with an attitude remembering God’s faithfulness,love, power in past situatuations,, we pray with expectation of his answer in this situation.

b)Thanksgiving is the language of faith,prayer not thankful is full of self not faith, thanks key element in prayers. Need to avoid whining,selfcentred prayers. Expectant, thankful hearts build faith.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Philippians 4:6
Q). How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer?
A). Thanksgiving is the language of faith. Our request in prayer is altered by an attitude of remembering God's faithfulness, love, and power in past situations, and thus an expectation of his answer in this situation.
#
Q). How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?
A). Thanksgiving is an expression of our faith and it affirms our faith.

• 5 months later...

Question 8-2

Thanksgiving in prayer is a form of rejoicing. We are rejoicing in thanks for the grace of God. Who has giving us life and the bounty of a living relationship with Christ. Karl Barth suggests that a beginning of prayer is the end of anxiety because it means a giving of glory to God in everything, making room for him, casting our care on him and letting it all be god's care. (Karl barth, the epistle to the phillipians, 122-123) the troubles that bother us tjan cease to exist as we lay them out, before God. (123)

As we give thanks giving to God in prayer we come to rejpice in God and God responds to us as we pray. We than come to know God , and to know God is to love God and to love God is to know him. As this process worksout our faith and know ledgeof God and hos kingdom grows.

• 1 year later...

I think that our request in prayer is altered by the presence of thanksgiving in prayer because it takes some of the focus off the situation that we are in. It helps to be thankful for the things that He has done in the past and helps us to rely on Him in the present situation.

• 4 weeks later...

When we include thanksgiving in our prayers, our requests change from being fueled by our self-centeredness and unbelief.  We have an attitude of thanksgiving as we dwell on God's faithfulness and love for us. We remember His abilities, His power, and His love for us.  We expect Him to answer our prayers in His wisdom and sovereignty again as He has done for us in the past.

• 1 year later...

(4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer? How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?    

A request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer shows that no matter what the situation is we have the attitude of remembering God's faithfulness, love and power of what he had done in the past and we expect him to answer our prayer.  We are thanking him in advance.  Bottom line, FAITH that God will see us through.