JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry? To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal? In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches?

Prosperity doctrine completely distorts what Jesus did for us; instead of focusing on His sacrifice for us and how much we owe Him we focus on how much He owes us, based on what we put in a collection plate. God owes us nothing! Prosperity teaching appeals to our greedy, sinful nature and reinforces our fleshy desires to get what we want. The Bible teaches that we need to give up everything--or be willing to, if we're not called to do it--for Jesus. It says nothing about having earthly riches, except that the love of them can corrupt us, and make it very difficult to accept the gospel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teaching prosperity in ministry causes people to expect God to bless them financially and their focus becomes materialistic, worldy. We do this because this type of message is appealing to the flesh and conducive toward better attendence in church. In all actuality we are conforming to the world, not being transformed, which is a truthful and painful process, spiritually of course.

Penury tends toward meekness and humilty while wealth causes pride and idolatry. The Lord tells us that He will give us our needs, not necessarily our wants. Godliness with contentment is great gain. In teaching the poor we dwell on spiritual enrichment, being able to live within the boundries that God has set and having great joy. Throughout the whole bible God illustrates is great love for the poor. Why? Because they have always turned to Him for strength. The wealthy become secular, wordly. Look around. It hasn't changed.

• 11 months later...

Q1. (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry?

When the "prosperity doctrine" is focusing only on the material wealth of the world that is purchased with money it can threaten Christian ministry as those who are not matured in the word may go off thinking that everyone who is a Christian should be prosperous financially. We must not only stress financial prosperity but also spiritual prosperity, which when we have it causes us to be contented in whatever state we're in.

To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal?

Such teachings often appeal to our flesh. We are motivated in that the more we have the more we want.

In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches?

Jesus taught that the poor we will have with us always, and that was not only the pagans, but those in Christendom as well. Paul teaches that in whatever state we are in we should be content and praise God.

• 1 month later...

A "prosperity doctrine" can threaten Christian ministry because it implies that if you are a good Christian, you will prosper. This appeals to our concept of the law of reciprocity (you give me something and I feel obligated to reciprocate) - I'll be good if you give prosper me. However it would then inply that all those who are in need are not good Christians and we know that isn't true.

The Bible teaches much about poverty and riches (that's a very open question)...but in relation to this passage, it tells us to be content with whatever our situation.

• 3 weeks later...
Q1. (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry? To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal? In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches?
well it's like flying in an airplane to hawaii only come to find out we are a couple of degrees off the compass, so instead of ending up in hawaii, we end up in guam.james chapter 4 tells us that we ask amiss because we want what we desire for ourselves. i remember a daffy duck cartoon a long time ago when he struck gold he would say," it's mine,mine,mine, all mine". it really shows as who we are in self and how we think it's alright to build there. but thanks be to god for not letting us stay in that sty.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry? To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal? In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches?

The "prosperity doctine" can threan Christian ministry in that it misleads Christians into thinking that if they are not enjoying great material prosperity as an indication of God's blessing they are not in the will of God. Therefore, God is not blessing my ministry so I give it up. Jesus taught that it is better to give than receive. Jesus never had anythings good to say about wealth. The "prosperity" doctrine focuses on getting. Christianity is about giving and sacrifice in order to spread the Kingdom of God on this planet. Too much prosperity can cause a distraction from the ministry.

The "prosperity doctrine" plays on the greed in human nature -- I'll be a Christian and do good things so God will bless me and give me material abundance. The motivation is self.

The balance is being content with what God Has blessed us with while living for Him. God does take good care of His children in all ways and things. Life is too short to get hung up on or distracted by things I cannot take with me.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It can be misleading, that when you are in the family of God it all about being wealthy and that is not so , As Christ walked on earth He introduce us to what we as His followers would have to go through, as He went through them , So sometimes we will endure hardships, and rather than seeking the luxuries of life, we are to seek Christ Jesus , and all of our needs will be at His disposal, and not our goal to try to obtain our needs ourselves, but to put our faith in Christ to supply our every needs on the earth walk. Seeking Christ First and all these other thing will be added unto us.

In balance , what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches ? To be content in any and every situation the condition of lacking that which is essential " need, lack , and poverty". Life does not always place us in the receiveing end all the time, it also places us on the giving end more so than the receiving. We find it in God's devine words that "It is more blessed to give than to receive". You know that Christ was all about giving as He walked on this earth, So it is very important that we as His followers understands that in order for us to keep our faith in God we have to except and depend on our faith in God that all our needs will be meet.

• 6 months later...

It's an out of balance teaching, focusing on using faith to become wealthy....implying that if you're not rich/prosperous, you are lacking in faith or are not being blessed by the Lord. This doctrine causes undue focus on acquiring material goods of this world, to the exclusion of all else...."give to get". It promotes greed and self indulgence, while Jesus teaches us to give to others, and to remember that our treasure is in Heaven. The focus becomes getting, instead of service to others.

Worldliness and greed...the greed or **** of the flesh, the greed or **** of the eye, and the pride of life.

Paul said he had learned to be abased or to abound...to be content whether he had little or much. That "things" or lack of, didn't affect his inner life and contentment. To some, much is given in order to share with others who have less. Others have just enough. Some have little...but in each case, God has promised to meet our needs. I've lived with much and with little, and frankly, I've been more content with little....because I see God's hand in nearly every provision. When we lost our home and business, I discovered that Jesus was homeless. His only posession was what he wore. He was totally dependent upon His Father to provide for His needs. He is our example! As a result, I learned to find joy in the smallest things! He's promised some wonderful things for the future, and I pray that when He fulfills those promises, I will still see His hand in all things, and will still be content apart from material prosperity and will be as generous as others have been to us!!

• 2 months later...

Q1. (4:11-12)

How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry?

The prosperity doctrine gets us to focus on materialism, and also on what God can do for us instead of what we should be doing for God. We must realise that everything we possess is ultimately from God, and also in reality it all belongs to Him, we are only the custodians. It is this realisation that can free us from enslavement to materialism. As long as we seek security in money, and possessions, we will fail. God wants us to learn the lesson that security is only found in Jesus Christ. There is no school or textbook that will teach us this lesson; it can only be learnt through experience. The prevailing philosophy of our day is that the more things we have, the more we want, and the more our lives will be enriched. However this is not true, some of the unhappy people in the world are wealthy celebrities who do not have a life. They are fabulously rich but miserable. Fame and fortune do not equate contentment. If we rest our joy on circumstance, our joy is vulnerable to circumstance. Our circumstances do not need to determine our state of mind. Our state of mind can be content if we learn that our source of satisfaction is Jesus Christ. We have to learn to be Christ-sufficient.

• 4 months later...

A "prosperity doctrine" may distort the message. If poverty is a "curse" does that mean that Paul was a failure? I think not! For example, he writes this letter to the Philippians under house arrest. Paul has no means of support and relies upon others to sustain him. Paul has experienced luxury and poverty in his journey. Paul's inward life is unaffected whether he is thin or flush..........he rejoices no matter the circumstance.

The "prosperity doctrine" reflects the self, the me, and the temporal possessions of the world.

In Lesson 7, Pastor Ralph writes "the Cross of Christ is the life of service, suffering and self denial which is in sharp contrast to the self-indulgent lifestyle that glories in activities of which one should instead be ashamed.

To me, the answer balances more on being content like Paul.........that is to "learn the secret" or "the mystery of faith" ..........that is Christ is sufficient for any circumstance.

Money, greed and power do evil things and are the root of much evil. You cannot serve both God and mammon.

....In this lesson it says God meets all our needs according "to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus". I believe God wants us to live life and live it abundantly. Indeed, God's calling may lead to varying degrees of worldly success. We cannot seek security in the world because we are Citizens of the Kingdom of God and aliens in this world. We must follow the example of the Philippians in giving and seek security in our Christ.

• 3 months later...

God uses and allows many things to build character in us. . . According to the Word of God there arfe times when we need to be corrected which God accomplishes by way of chastizement. . . Difficult and extreme situations help us to develop our faith in God. . . God knows and we need to realize and accept the fact that if God didn't permit these things our confidence we be in self as opposed to God. . .

Poverty and riches can both be used by God to mature us when we establish ourselves in God and continue to trust Him and obediently serve Him. . .

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NKJV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;

6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

1 Timothy 6:6 (NKJV) Now godliness with contentment is great gain.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Because we live in this world, we think about this world.

The world tells us that you're really someone if you own things.

People who have no possessions are considered as loosers.

Some people might think that therefore God blesses you by giving you things.

However God doesn't work with earthly rewards.

He will take care of us but He doesn't necessarily bless us with money.

For Him it is all about spiritual blessings.

Our reward will be in heaven.

A famous example is in Luke 16:19-31.

A rich men goes to hell because he abused his wealth.

Another example is Paul to Timothy in 1 Tim. 6:3-10.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows"

• 4 months later...

Prosperity teaching sends the wrong message to Christians and the world. Their message is that if I give, I get, or if I have faith and tell God what I want I will receive it. They say that if a person name it and claim it in Jesus name, they can expect God to give them exactly what they have asked for.

Our faith should not be based on riches, or what I can get from God, but our faith should be based completely on Jesus to supply our every need. A heavenly blessing, which is eternal, outweighs an earthly blessing, which is temporal, and it is wrong to bargain with a Holy God.

Greed or covetousness is often the prime motivation of the prosperity doctrine that often drives or appeals to us. Today, there are many greedy people in the world, and we are living in a world that is seeking and looking for immediate blessings or gratification instead of waiting on God to truly bless them for a lifetime.

According to the Bible, whether we are wealthy or poor, believers know and believe that, like Paul, we have to learn to be content with what God gives us. Why? Because all that matters is our relationship with Christ, and our Christian life and walk. It is not wrong to be wealthy, nor is it a sin to be poor. All that we receive comes through the hands of God, and we should be joyful, rejoice, and be thankful in every situation. The Bible teaches the following:

Hebrews 13:5a

• 11 months later...

Q1. (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry, and to what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal?

The doctrine of prosperity is a great threat to the church and its growing in Him, because its motivation is on "self" and that of the riches, the pleasures of this world, how can we learn to be content with whatever circumstances we may find ourselves in, if we think that the Cross was not enough and that Christ now owes us prosperity, the "prosperity doctrine" that I believe in, is that my soul may prosper.

:)

• 2 months later...

1a)In Christian ministry need to be available to serve whether we’re in need or plenty,but these are secondary factors to God’s calling.Prosperity doctrine sends wrong message to seekers, more about self than glorifying God, preaches pray &receive,rather be content in our current situation.

B)PD appeals to the self-sufficiency motivation which we need to keep in check,as it can turn our focus away from God to self.

C)We should praise the Lord for his abundant provision for all our needs, as we depend on God& His resources provided by His saints.

• 6 months later...

A prosperity doctrine can threaten a ministry by giving people a false impression that if they give this …God will do that. This type doctrine makes people think that giving (money) is all they have to do, or they give looking for something in return (tit-for-tat). A good example is some television ministries that tell people to “send their best offering and God will do whatever”….. or “you’re five minutes away from your blessing”..…then tell you or a specific number of people to send a certain amount of money to get the blessing. They (some) do not mention that there are certain conditions that must be adhered to like having and being faithful and obedient according to God’s commands. The Bible warns against chasing money because man cannot serve two masters and Jesus warned about greed. Believers are to seek the Kingdom of God first; and all the other things will be given.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 4:11-12
Q). How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry?
A). For Paul, the prosperity doctrine would have run counter to a Christian's need to be at Jesus' disposal, rather than seeking the luxuries of life. (See 2 Timothy 2:3 and 2 Corinthians 11:24-27).
#
Q). To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal?
A). The "prosperity doctrine" appeals to our need for material security.
#
Q). In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches?
A). In the Bible, Paul talks about need and plenty as exterior conditions, none of which affect his inner life. And Jesus said: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." -Matthew 6:33
(Paul talks about poverty and riches in Philippians 4:11-13):
11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

• 1 year later...

The way that a “prosperity doctrine” threatens a Christian ministry is that if you aren’t prospering then you must not be a Christian. Sometimes we don’t realize that we are prospering because we don’t have the money that we want but we can have the best friends in the world. Prospering does not always mean that we have money. The prime motivation that the “prosperity doctrine” appeals to is our greed. If we give a little then we will get a lot. The Bible teaches us that we should be content in poverty and in riches.

• 4 weeks later...

A prosperity doctrine can threaten Christian ministry several ways.  First, with it we can equate God's favor with our wealth, which is a superficial viewpoint compared to our spiritual wealth in Christ.  Second, Christian ministry can be very strenuous and difficult, and sometimes God calls us to reach out to people in desperate situations.  That means we may need to minister in situations where there is lack, or danger, or intense persecution.  If we believe that we should always be prosperous in an earthly sense, we will avoid such ministry opportunities.  This can greatly hinder the advance of the Gospel.  Third, maintaining a prosperity doctrine can cloak greediness and selfishness in our lives as we feel it is our right to abundance.  Heart check time!  According to this passage in Philippinas, JESUS IS ENOUGH in any situation that God has placed us-whether in abundance or lack.  God promises to supply our needs through Christ according to Philippians 4:19.

• 1 year later...

It falsely promises wealth and completely leaves God's will out of it.  God uses all the other times in our lives to teach us & help us grow.  Most times we are not wealthy, but rich in blessings.

It caters to our pride, greed and idolatry.

Contentment with what we have--thanking God for all He has provided for us!!

Some prosperity teaching claim that every true Christian is meant to be rich. This is not biblical and is misleading as a very true Christian who may not be rich may begin to feel that he must be a bad Christian that is why he is poor. But recall that Jesus Christ declared in John 12:8 that there would always be the poor among us. The Old testament also says in Deuteromy 15:11 that there will always be poor people in the land. Therefore, some may be rich while some may be poor even though they may all be true and good Christians.

Q1. (4:11-12) 

How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry? 

We have a natural strong desire for things of this world, and the more we have, the more we crave.

So, any “prosperity doctrine” raises our hopes, but if we don’t prosper, we feel hard done by, and our faith suffers and we feel neglected by God.

Besides, when is enough-enough – we will want more money, bigger and more luxurious houses, faster and better cars, etc., etc.? 

Nothing in the world can make a discontented person happy. 

Our Lord Jesus warned us in Luke 12:15: “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

Here Jesus warns us against the dangers of greed, and He also warned us many times about the dangers of riches. 

Today a person is measured by their wealth, by what he has, and not by what he is. 

Knowing that our Lord is in control, we should be content with whatever circumstances we find ourselves in. 

Q1. (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten

Christian ministry? To what prime motivation in us does such

a teaching often appeal? In balance, what does the Bible teach 

about poverty and riches?

1.  When they sound needy or greedy and offend the people. When 

preachers teach that poverty is a curse and that a faith-filled 

Christian's inheritance here on earth is prosperity. Not teaching 

that we must endure hardship.

1.  It should be to do the will of the Lord and love, help, be 

concerned about others.

1.  Being content in any and every situation, whether well fed 

or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." (4:11-12) We must 

learn to endure hardship.

It seems that the modern trend of ministries, these days has to do with "living an abundant" life. It seems they take one verse out of the Bible (John 10:10) to tell us that God want us to have an abundant life. There is a constant demand for money, because if we don't give, we will become poor. It seems that God blesses us through abundance and when you are poor God is obviously not blessing you.

Totally devastating in my belief.

Paul tells us to praise God at all times, in abundance AND also when in need or being poor.

Money doesn't mean anything to GOd, the heart is what counts.