JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Praying Boldly

Q2. What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we

emulate in our own prayers? Upon what logical grounds does Moses

offer this bold appeal to God? What do you think it means to "pray

the promises of God"? How does knowing the Bible help you get your

prayers answered? How does this help our prayers be within God's

will?

The study guide spells this out really well -- I like this analysis of the structure of the prayer and will see how my prayers of intercession can grow, instructed by this example by knowing in scripture where his promises indicate his care over the situation I'm facing. If I can't find that in scripture then may be I don't pray in accordance with his will. When I can find it then I can rejoice and pray with confidence and expectation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers?

We should emulate Moses' boldness in speaking to God. Prayer is communication to God. God speak and we listen. We can react or respond to what he is saying. We can reason to God and have a dialogue with Him. Only by being close to HIM that we can attain boldness in communication with God.

Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God?

Moses' boldness with God was because of his close relationship with God and his knowledge of God's plan.

What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"?

To pray the promise of God means that you know and believe His word and His promises. It means that you believe God is faithful to fulfill His promises which is that's why you pray His promises.

How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered?

The bible is the word of God which reveals God's will fo us. God answerds prayer according to His will.

How does this help our prayers be within God's will?

In John 15:7 Jesus says, "If you abide in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever we wish ... " Jesus allows us to ask God the Father according to our wish and that the Father will do it. However, this comes with a condition. The beginning part of John 15:7 starts with conditional "IF". That is If we abide to His word and until His word which reveals God's will have abided in our hearts, then Jesus knows that our prayer is aligned to God's will.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers? Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God? What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"? How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered? How does this help our prayers be within God's will?

Our prayers to God must be based on His promises, character, righteousness, and precedents. Moses offered a bold appeal to God based on the following logical grounds: the people of Israel are God's own people, God's name and reputation and God's promises to the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac and Israel. Scripture is filled with God's promises and we can use these scriptures as the basis of our prayers eg God will never leave you neither will He forsake you. Knowing the Word means having knowledge of God's promises and praying God's promises is to be praying God's will.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Q2. What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers? Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God? What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"? How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered? How does this help our prayers be within God's will?

First of all Moses put his people before himself, then he stated his case as to why. When we pray for some one we have to do the same we have to be able to state a case for the prayer in accordance with GODs will.

Moses's prayer is based on the logic of GODs promise to his people and what the heathens would say about him if he did his judgement Moses wanted the LORDs name to be exhallted and give no reason for non-believers to question the power and glory of GOD.

I think to pray the promises of GOD we are just humbly reminding theLORD of the promises he has made to us and asking for him to make good on those promises.

If we know the scriptures we can pray acorrding to the promises made in the scriptures. And I believe this helps to alighn us with the Holy Spirit which is are link to GOD.

If we pray according to scripture we are praying according to GODs word. His guide to us a letter if you will on how to live our lives to be pleasing to HIM. If what we pray is in acordance with the bible then it is GODs will for HE told us so.

• 1 year later...

Just like Moses, we should appeal to God's reputation and his merciful character. We should appeal to the promises he has made to his people and remind him of what he has done in the past. Moses was able to make this bold appeal to God because God had made a covenant with the patriarchs that Moses called upon him to keep.

I believe "praying the promises of God" means praying according to Scripture, God's Word. the Bible is our guidebook and can help us get our prayers answered because it reveals how God works. If we pray according to Scripture, we pray according to God's will because His will is spelled out in the Bible. We only need to trust and obey.

• 2 weeks later...

Moses was a great leader and chosen by God to lead these people who God referred to as stiff necked. God knew the days ahead and He knew the heart of Moses. Moses prayed for a people that had gone astray and had gone into serious sin. He did this by reminding God of His promises and His intention toward these people. Moses cared for Gods people and interceeded for them as a real pastor would do for his congregation. Moses knew the heart of God and that He was forgiving. He used Gods integrity and reputation on earth as part of his petition to have Him pardoned the people from destruction. If we know the promises of God toward ourselves and others we can have the same power of petition when approaching the throne of God with our requests.

• 1 month later...

What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers?

Respect, seeking to benefit the Kingdom of God, quoting God's promises.

Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God? He believe that God will not go against His own words. Also He believes that although God is angry at Israel, God still loves Israel.

What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"?

When we pray, we should quote scripture, just as the 1st curch did in Acts.

Then you can quote scripture, and know the promisses of God.

If you know scripture you learn Who is God. And if you know god you can pray His will.

• 1 year later...

What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers?

He has taken God's interests into his heart as his own.

Moses appeals to God, boldly interceding for the people of Israel.

Pleading for mercy rather than condemnation upon them.

Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God?

The basis of Moses' appeals:

• Because the Israelites are God's own people
  • Because of God's reputation among the heathen
  • Because of God's promises
  • Because of God's character
  • Because of God's consistent mercy.

What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God

When we come before God with sound arguments that have their origins in God's promises, we can be sure our prayers are heard. In Isaiah 41:21 God demands that we come before Him with arguments, in Numbers 23:19 we read that God does not lie. So, If He says He will, He will.

We must take God at His Word because His Word is true and just and we must use those

promises in faith when praying.

- God is not a man that he should lie, nor a son of man that He should change His mind  (Num.23:19).

- For the Eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His Ears are attentive to their prayer  (1 Pet.3:12).

- Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear (Isa.65:24).

When we learn to pray, we begin to learn to pray according to the will of God. When we support our prayers with scripture, we align ourselves with God's will. Part of learning to pray is praying scripture back to God.

D L MOODY:

"Each word of God can be traced back to a kneeling form." "Tarry at a promise and God will meet

you there."

• 1 month later...

We should emulate the facts to God. We should let him know what the bible says about our situations. We should let him know that we know what he has promised us in the scriptures.

Moses was reminding God how the human mind works. He was telling God that people would look to him in all the wrong ways. That they would see a very violent God who cleans up his messes by killing all the witnesses.

If we know that God's word can fulfill our needs, then we can relate it in terms that God has given us. We know what God is willing to give us. We know what God has no intention of giving us. We can pray for very meaningful things.

• 1 month later...

We should emulate all of Moses’ prayer of intercession in our own prayers. The logical grounds that Moses offered this bold appeal to God was that of his promises. To be praying the promises of God means that we have read the bible and know what God has promised. We will praying for his will to be done.

• 4 months later...

Our appeal to God based on His promises,character,love and consistent mercy.

Moses appealed to God boldly because he was concerned about God's reputation among the heathen nations after the delivery of people of Israel with signs and wonders from Egyptian Bondage.

God's word is living and truth. In the beginning was the word and the word was God. The more we know His word we know more about God and His characteristics. We are strengthened by God's promises.

The God of the Bible is a living God, never changing never failing God.

We need to keep our prayers according to His word and His will.

• 6 months later...

- Even though we may benefit out of the loss of others, but we have to pray for other people for God's mercy.

- Moses brought the logic that the people of Israel is his people and for God's reputation

-the third question is for what God speak to you or promised to you

- because, if we know the bible the bible we can able to know the will of God and his promise

• 3 years later...

Moses pleaded for mercy, and God spared them. This is one of the countless examples in the Bible of God’s mercy. Although we deserve his anger, he is willing to forgive and restore us to himself. We can receive God’s forgiveness from sin by asking him. Like Moses, we can pray that he will forgive others and use us to bring them the message of his mercy.

God had often told the people that if they changed their ways, he would not condemn them. They changed, and God did as he promised.

• 3 months later...
On 9/5/2005 at 5:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We should pray with boldness and according to God's Will.

The logical grounds were that the Israelites are God’s own people, His reputation, His promises, His character, and His consistent mercy.

Praying the promises of God means to quote God's promises back to Him in prayer.

Knowing the Bible helps to get your prayers answered because you will know the promises that God made and you will also learn what God's will is.

• 3 months later...

Q1.  We can emulate Moses’s repeating of the things we know about God and His promises. (Praying the scriptures)

Q2. Moses uses God’s own words and the effect His anger would have on His reputation with unbelievers. He’s reminding God of His promises to Israel and what the Egyptians would tell others about Him. (Praying the scriptures)

Q3. To pray the promises of God is to use the scriptures in our prayers. Using God’s Word demonstrates that we are aligning our will with a His.

Q4. Praying the Scriptures helps us to get our prayers answered. In order to pray the scriptures, we must know them. 

Q5. Reading the scriptures, knowing them and using them in our prayers helps us align our will with God’s because we are using His own words.

• 5 months later...

Q2a.   We should emulate promises and assurances given to man...ex the significant of the rainbow. Appeal to God's  character...grace mercy love forgiveness. Use of scriptural promises find references how God dealt with similar situations. 

2b The logical ground Moses used are they are your people and bring them out Egypt to now destroy them..All the would see is not what the people did but. ..their destruction. All they would believe is because you can fulfill your oath in giving them that promise land.The heathen fear your power and mighty hand so you destroy your people they would that respect and awe.

2c. Praying in the Promises of God is using  scriptural assurances given by God when praying .. Matthew 11:28 James 5:16

2d. Nothing  under the sun is new. Whatever situation the world is in and Whatever our present personal circumstances it has happened before and have endured.The Scriptures are the only book of principles that has all the answers to navigate this earthly life and still give assurance of life after death...

2e. This help our prayers to be within God's will as the foundation of man's relationship with God is based on a belief anchored.. in one true living God ..on Scriptures that is His inspired breath..on the Messianic  message of Calvary's Cross..and on the promised lively Hope for eternal life.

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2005 at 8:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I believe that aspects of Moses' prayer should be emulated in my prayers. 

The grounds that Moses has to offer a bold appeal to God, is that He belongs to God and He is a righteous man. He also is praying God's word back to God. 

When you know your Bible, you know what scriptures to pray in your prayers and supplications for any given situation or circumstance.

When we pray God's word we are praying His will. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2005 at 10:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. As a priest of God Most High I am to intercede to my King of Glory for the sinful, lost, dying, sick, weak, lonely, heartbroken, fearful, untrusting etc people who need our beloved Saviour Jesus reminding Him that they are His creations, His own people and it’s not His desire to see anyone perish. “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9 To thank Him for His mercy and gracious love for all mankind, reminding Him of Jesus’s words from the from the cross when He said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”  Luke 23:34

2. I love this encouraging example/pattern to follow so as to state my case and reason with the Lord.

• Because the Israelites are God's own people
  • Because of God's reputation among the heathen
  • Because of God's promises
  • Because of God's character
  • Because of God's consistent mercy

3. I believe it’s wise to ask God how to pray according to His will for each situation as each individual is complex and has different needs. He then lays on my heart the right scriptures for the situation and downloads His hearts desire for the person. Also I believe praying in tongues as led by the Holy Spirit is one of the greatest ways to intercede for a situation especially if the persons deep needs are private, confidential or shameful. I find God protects us from exposing these things so as not to embarrass us, especially for example, say a man needs deliverance from *********** or a woman who has been raped etc.

4. Studying and getting to know the Holy Bible, is getting to know Abba, Jesus and Holy One, for they are the Word, for the Lord our God is one. So to me this is how God fulfils this promise/word in our lives:
“This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God, and they will be my people.” Hebrews 8:10
So with the Word in my mind and written on my heart I can follow Jesus my High Priest and intercede aright according to His Kingdom come and will being done amen as He guides me.

5. God warned me years ago about praying out of your soul - “soulish prayers” which come from the flesh, the old man, under the old covenant of law. We are to pray by and through the Holy Spirit - “Spirit led prayers” if we are to be in the will of God and operate out of His glorious Kingdom, under the new covenant of grace.

We should emulate all aspects of Moses' prayer: he identified the people as God's own.  He reminded God of His reputation among the other people groups; he reminded God of His promises, character, and mercy. These are all logical grounds for Moses' bold appeal to God because Moses communicated face to face with God as with a friend--Moses knew GOD!  What a reminder it is to me to get to KNOW GOD!  Knowing His Promises, His Character, His Righteousness, His Mercy, and what He did long ago helps me to understand His faithfulness always. "Praying the Promises" means we know GOD'S Word and learn the promises He makes therein so that we can pray in accord with His Will. God always answers although sometimes it takes a very long time of wrestling with unanswered prayer on our end.  He does respond: yes / no / wait.  Faith means His Will be done, not my own.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Praying Boldly
  • 6 months later...

First I would emulate the fact that God is almighty and all powerful. Also on His promise with Abraham, Jacob, and Isaac.

God used His mighty power to get them out of Egypt.

To pray the promises of God is to know God's word. and All His promises are "yes" and 'Amen"

knowing the Bible is my first line of defense in the Armor of God the sword is the Word of God that is how I need to fight.  If it is God's word God is truth Justice and Never changes and everything that comes from God can be believed.  God says you have not cause you ask not.

praying will put us in relatiionship with God and that is what He wants.

First I would emulate the fact that God is almighty and all powerful. Also on His promise with Abraham, Jacob, and Isaac.

To pray the promises of God is to know God's word. and All His promises are "yes" and 'Amen"

knowing the Bible is my first line of defense in the Armor of God the sword is the Word of God that is how I need to fight.  If it is God's word God is truth Justice and Never changes and everything that comes from God can be believed.  God says you have not cause you ask not.

praying will put us in relatiionship with God and that is what He wants.

praying will put us in relationship with God and that is what He wants.