JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Praying Boldly

Q2. What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers? Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God? What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"? How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered? How does this help our prayers be within God's will?

I believe that if we are studying God's Word, and hiding it in our hearts, then we will know how to pray within God's will. Also, we will know what to base our prayers on-The Word. I never looked at prayer this way before, and I find this concept very exciting and enlightening! Gloray!

Prayers based on God's promises are riveting, because God cannot lie, and He cannot go back on His Word. The Bible says that His Word will not return to Him void. It will accomplish whatever The Lord meant for it to! Now how exciting is that?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers?

His appeal to God's mercy, and bringing the covenant promises God had made to His attention. (He hasn't forgotten His promises....it's for my benefit...a challenge to my faith to stand on His Word)

Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God?

He uses God's reputation to the surrounding peoples, and God's promises to His own people as a bargaining chip. Moses appealed to God's Mercy to outweigh His Justice.

What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"?

All that God does, is accomplished through His spoken Word. When I pray the promises of God, I speak what He has said, back to Him. I'm repeating what He has declared IS, though unseen as yet to me, rather than talking about the circumstances I find myself in. This activates my faith in Him and His Power and Might, rather than focusing on how big the problem appears to be, and invites Him to work on behalf of my prayers of faith. It's partnering with God to accomplish His Will on earth as it is in Heaven.

How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered? How does this help our prayers be within God's will?

Knowing the Word, helps me to pray His Word back to Him, and He answers petitions prayed according to His Will....

Q2. What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers? Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God? What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"? How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered? How does this help our prayers be within God's will?

The aspects of Moses' prayer that we should emulate is his confidence in the character of God. In essence, Moses appealed to God based on the promises of God -- His Word -- as he (Moses) knew it. Praying the promises of God to me means that for as much as I know the Word, I mirror back to the Lord His Word to me in my circumstances. Whenever I am "hit" from the world, I first go to the Lord and ask Him for "a word"...sometimes He just gives me a verse, other times, He gives me several verses to stand on, walk through, and "maneuver" through the situation. I find myself focusing on His Word and not whatever is going on. I do this for others in intercession and watch God work it all out according to His good purposes. Knowing the Word gives the Holy Spirit "something to work with." God anoints action...and I believe our prayers can be action packed with His Holy Word.

When we pray, we should emulate the way Moses prayer of intercession appeals to God, His mercy, and His reputation. We can do this by studying the Bible, and using the things we learn in our prayers.

The logical grounds that Moses used were that to destroy Israel now would show God to be vengeful, the nations that He freed the Israelites from would see this destruction of the people as a defeat for God, that He was able to get the people out of captivity in Egypt, but could not get them to follow him into the promised land.

By "praying the promises of God", we learn what those promises are. We take the time to meditate on them, and consider just what they mean to us. We will also get feedback from God, letting us know if we are in agreement with God as to what his promises were.

Learning the Bible is learning God's word and his will, or intentions for us. We are told in Scripture to pray for things that are within God's will, and we must study Scripture to truly know God's will.

Moses prayed boldly God's Word (Scriptures) constantly. To tell you the truth I was of a different mindset before I reaad this. Just like God He had me read this at exactly the right time. Moses persisted in prayer until God CHANGED HIS MIND. I never saw that before. I couldn't figure out why anyone would pray if God had already decided the outcome some 2000 years ago and much more importantly God was going to do what he wanted prayer or not. Well I found my answer Praise God. A new avanue has opened up to me-Moses prayed until God chaned his mind. Wow what a lightbulb. Now I know the reason to pray--not to always try to change his mind, but knowing that whatever I ask may have some influnce inhis decision. Moses prayed the Promises of the Bible which were the logical grounds that Moses was able to get his prayers answered. I think God listens to the people who pray the promises for they are reminding him of what he has promised us Iam not one to pray word for word out of the Scriptures for it isn't my way not that it was wrong. I read the Scriptures to know how to contradict the devil's darts in my weakest point--my mind. When he says I am not good I counteract that with what God says that I am a child of the King worthy and wonderful. I had quit praying, but now I have reason to begin again. Thanks.

Appeal to God's name and His reputation. God honours His name. At the name of Jesus every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. The name of Jesus conquered Satan. God's name is above every other names that is what the bible says. I also emulate God's reputation, He is all ...... The greatest, biggest, most excellency, most wonderful, most merciful, most gracious, richest, wealthiest, the best in everything He does for His own. I also love the fact that when we become born again we are His children, it is appealing to know that we are His own people of this generation. I also emulate that fact. His promises to the patriarchs also matter we can remind God of His faithful friends... The God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob etc even His character of mercy and precedent. God you have done it for this and this so mine will not be difficult for God to do amen.

Moses offered this bold appeal because of his understanding and closeness to God. If we endeavor to understand and love God, it will be possible to walk with Him like Adam and Eve before they fell. God I want to be able to walk with you, help me to experience your Being in every area of my life.

Praying with promises of God means reminding God about convenant He made with Abraham, because we are born again we are part of the convenant.

Knowing the bible plays a great role in prayer. If you know the bible you know the attributes of God and you can pray with those attributes. The bible says people perish if they lack of knowledge. It helps us to know our daddy more

R2. In our own prayers we must appeal to God's character which is love - that love of a Father who is always ready to give what we need when we ask for them in prayer. We mus also bear in mind God's everlasting mercy, His compassion for His children.

Moses's bold appeal to God is hinged on the logic that it was Yahweh who by His mighty hand brought Israel out of bondage from Egypt. All the people in the known world, especially unbelievers, will have heard about this. If before the Hebrews reached the promised land they will be wiped out by the same hands who freed them the news will spread that Yahweh could not bring His children to the land He promised their ancestors so He killed them all at the same time.

Before we claim God's promises in our prayers God must have a claim on us. We must be willing to submit our own wills to God's will. Only then will His promises be available to us.

Knowing the Bible enlightens us on the conditions God has set so that our prayers will be heard and answered just like the characters in the Bible as Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Joshua. Even Jesus prayed to His Father and taught His disciples how to. The Bible also tells us God's will for His children and if we are versed on His Words in the scripture then we will be well aware of what is "within His will:.

• 3 weeks later...

We should emulate Moses' belief and confidence in God's word, by quoting His Word to Him. Go's promises are found in His Word and we need to speak to Him about them when we pray. Intercession also proves to the heathen that Go has a holy character and that His mercy and grace are consistent with His character.

The logical grounds Moses uses are the facts that God had promised to bring His children to safety and that He would answer their prayers and lead and guide them every step of the way.

When we pray the promises of God we are standing on His Word and quoting scripture to Him, therefore telling Him that we are in agreement with what He has spoken in it.

If we know God's Word, we are praying according to His will because He doesn't lie.

To be in God's will when we pray means that we pray what He wants and not what we want.

• 6 months later...

Remind God of His promises and appeal to His mercy and love.

Moses reminds God of how He brought the Israelites out of captivity and what would people say if He didn't save them now? God is a righteous God that is true to His word.

To pray the promises of God is following the example that Jesus set in the wilderness when he said "It is written......." Quote the written word of God and by faith believe it and it will come to pass.

Because we can remind God of what He has said and that He is not a man that He should lie. Knowing the word prepares us for the days that lie ahead e.g. sickness, trouble. finances.

When we pray according to the written word of God we know it is His will, for all scripture is inspired to the Holy Spirit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Our own prayers is our personal realationship with God. What we think may be good for us may not be for our own good by God by God it will be good. By reading the Bible I'm starting to understand that God wants everything we ask for is for our good. God will give us everything we ask for if we knock and ask but it has to be through God's will. We all need to undertand that God only wants the best for us. Yes he will hear our prayers and lead us in the right direction. God promises us to live a Godly life when we seek God and want to live a righteous life and be fulfilled in holiness. I pray for restoraton, I repent my sins and I pray for joy and happiness always. Moses saw a better way for Gods people. God was angry because they went against God. Moses wanted God to remember that these were his people and to help them understand. Understanding Gods way is the only way. My prayers are to ask God to lead me in the right direction and I trust him. Jesus is the truth, the way and the life. We all will struggle at times because I believe God moves things around for us to get to that point of victory. With God in my heart I know that my life is in his hands righteously so and that he wants me to be just like Jesus his image that we have the powers of knowing living on Earth there is going to be so many trials and we need to be prepapred and go to God for guidance. God will and promises he will gaurd us from all evil. I now feel safe at all times I am not afraid of man and I know now that God will help me because I believe and have hope and prayers for my Lord to save me from the world and evil that we live in. Halleuia to Yewa who loves me and adores me unconditionally. We need to pray for others who do not understand and doesn't know the way. We need to pray for them for God to touch there hearts no matter what stage of life there in. Ask God for there own sake to be saved. I have much sorrow for those who do not know and when they want to know I pray to God to give them salvation. We are here not for the righteous we are here for the unrighteous to share the "good news" and lead them to God. Remember Jesus saved the theif on the cross without baptism he gave this man salvation through his own prayers for God to understand and he was saved. God Bless all that seek him. :D

I use to cry and be very wimpy in my prayers. Than I started to realize that I was feeling sorry for myself. That's not the word. We are to care for one another the greatest commandment is to love one another. Praying boldly is to promise God that we hear his word and put it to good works just like Jesus did. Pray for our enemy's, be good to those who hurt you. I have now become a bigger prayer woman with lots of love. When I pray for myself and my children I pray for God's promises. I want more of God's promises and I want to give for what God wants us to give. Give to the poor, needy. Help those who need help. We all worry and that is not what God wants us to do EVER is worry. We need to believe in our Lord 100% know matter what our circumstances are. If Moses would have said to your will God that would have been to easy God wanted to hear a much more powerful prayer. Moses says don't destroy your people love your people lets keep on trying to solve this problem with God's love. Wow!! how powerful is that. I've learned to do that more often for all even my enemy's or people who betrayed and hurt me. I now want to just love with my whole heart and give to those who need it. Yes I do pray for more abundance and happiness and everyday I've noticed the more I change the more God changes for me. Thank you God for coming into my heart. Maturing my spirit everyday. :D

• 3 months later...

Like Moses prayer of intercession we can pray that God will forgive those who sin against Him and use us to bring them the message of mercy.

Moses bold appeal to God was that Iraelites are His people, His consistent mercy, promises, reputation, and charactrer.

Praying God's Promises" means that we come to agree in prayer with what God says in His Word about His promises

When you study the bible it will give you step by step instruction on how to get a prayer answered. If you want to see more answered prayer you first need to truly believe that God wants to give you the desires of your heart. He loves you and wants you to have faith in Him.

The next time you pray, try asking God to show you how to pray first. When you've heard God and know His will you will be able to pray in faith, knowing that He will give you what you ask for.

Patricia

• 1 month later...

Moses reminds God of His promises and character.

We can do that too.

Because of the promises, this appeal is logical.

To include them in your prayers.

Then you know what to pray.

we can only know His will by reading the Bible.

• 3 weeks later...

The aspects of Moses' prayer that we should try to emulate

1. Persistence 2.The emphasis/reliance on God's promises 3. The emphasis on God's love, mercy and forgiveness which had been promised AND shown in the past

Getting to know the Bible helps us to understand what God wants to give to us. It helps us to know what we should pray for.

We need to have Moses-type confidence in God. His belief that God will and can do anything. Moses had guts to stand up to God each time he had to defend the very people God had intended on saving. Moses may have not been the best public speaker, but he was excellent in talking to God. Moses had respect for God, his fellowship with God was incredible. We should follow his examples whenever we get the chance. We need his boldness, his faith, confidence when we pray to God.

Moses understood God. He knew what He was capable of. He had seen all the wondrous signs that God had done. He knew all that He did was for the promised people of Israel. He loved them so much, that He was willing to do anything for them. Moses knew that He could talk to God in a bold manner, because all he had seen from God was for the people. Knowing that the people were not obeying, or trying to correct their lives, He still prayed and pleaded for God not to give up. Because of all the love he had witnessed from God.

Praying the promises is a practice of fighting temptation, despair, frustration and apathy by centering my attention on promises God has made in His word, and putting my hope in these promises rather than the false, empty promises of sin. I turn these promises into prayers, boldly asking God to provide for me what He has promised, through Jesus, so that I can stay close to God.

When we pray the promises of God we are reconfirming our faith in Him. God will never go back on His Word. He will always do exactly what He has promised. When we pray with scripture we are strengthening that prayer. God must take notice because we are bringing forth His Will. This enables us to clearly understand and see His Will. We can determine which path He wants us to take. His promises will make us become incredible witnesses if we allow them to take root in our hearts.

• 2 months later...

1. God said in Isaiah 1:18, "Come lets reason together....." I believe in understanding the purpose of God Moses was in interceeding for the children of Israel, did pray based on the will of God. This also represent the fulfillment of the nature of the coming and death of Jesus Christ to fulfill the salvation plan of God. As Christains we have a responsibility to interceed recognising the purpose of God. This is worthy of emulation.

2. Praying the promises of God is appropriating the promises to ones life based on our relationship with God. God is not a respecter of persons; he makes available to the everyone as long as they fulfil the requirements for drawing down on the promises.

3. Before you can pray its essential that you know the mind of God as reflected in the Bible. Faith is built up during prayer when its founded on the word of God. Its the same faith as based ont eh word of God that gives assurance of answered prayer. In the book of James 1:6-7, you cannot receive answer to your prayer the moment you doubt.

4. We need to daily study and understand the Bible to know the mind of God as the Holy Spirit ministers to us. It is by this that we can pray according to God's will.

• 2 months later...

Q2.

What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers?

Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God?

What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"?

How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered?

How does this help our prayers be within God's will?

We should intercede on the basis of God

• 3 months later...

What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers? We should state our case before God, based on His promises toward his children, His character, His consistent mercy toward his people and His reputation amongst those who do not know or believe in Him.

Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God? Moses KNEW God. He knew God's character and His mercy and unconditional love towards his children. Based on these, Moses dare to appeal to God.

What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"? How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered? How does this help our prayers be within God's will? "Praying the promises of God is to pray back scripture. God says His words will not return to him void. Knowing the bible helps us remember God's promises, what He had done in the past and very importantly knowing His character. This way we know how to pray God's way, aligning our prayers according to His will, and not according to what we want.

Q2. What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers?

Love intervenes on behalf of another. Love wants to help others even if they don

• 4 months later...

Thank you all for help helping me understand what for me was difficult to understand and answer!! PRAISE GOD!!!

1. Boldness, confidence, and concern for others based on a pureness of heart. Humbleness?

2. The only logic I understand is knowing God's word.

3. To pray the promises of God means that we know Him and have faith and trust in Him. Love?

4. I believe all prayers are answered. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes we wait for God's timing.

5. If we are praying the promises of God, we know what they are and know something about God and who he is.

These questions for me are all closely related to one central point. For us it means study our bible. That is how we understand God's character, will, and essence. Moses didn't have the Bible. He had a different communication with God. Moses didn't have the benifit of studying the Bible and figuring it out, we do. With the Holy Spirit's guidance we can have that, minus the problems of pride and self rightousness.

In each of our walks with Jesus there are differences, and the questions and answers have a different meaning. Let's be who God would have us be, and not try to be like someone who we think is cool. God created one Moses for his purpose. Praise God for what he did through Moses.

Agreed. Some modifications:

3 - 5) Taking it from another user: The Bible helps us get our prayers answered in every possible way. It shows us what pleases God and how we may approach Him, even giving us the very words we may use. The better we know it the better we can use His Word in our prayers. Praying scripture ensures that we are in line with God's word (thus, in His will) and that will ensure that He will hear us (answer us in the affirmative or wait, although the current post is also correct that God will say "no" if we are not in His will. However, even then, knowing His word will let us see why He said "no").

• 3 weeks later...

WE SHOULD EMULATE THE PROMISES OF GOD IN OUR OWN PRAYER.HE MADE THIS BOLD APPEAL BASE ON THE PROMISES GOD MADE TO ABRAHAM,ISSAC AND ISREAL. YOU PRAY THE PROMISES OF GOD BY REPEATING HIS PROMISES BACK TO HIM. KNOWING THE BIBLE HELP US TO GET OUR PRAYERS ANSWERED WHEN WE KNOW THE WORDS OF GOD, BOTH PROMISES AND COMMANDMENTS.WHEN WE KNOW GOD`S WORD THEN WE WILL KNOW HIS WILL FOR OUR LIVES, THEREFORE WE WILL PRAY ACCORDING TO HIS WILL.

• 2 weeks later...

To have a relationship with God we have to know Him. We learn to know Him by reading His word. When our will is attuned to His will we can come boldly to the throne of our gracious God.

• 1 month later...

Moses intercessary prayer emulates in Gods promises to our forefathers and how He is.

His appeal to God was that if God did away with his people the Egyptians as well as the other people would have thought that God was a cruel decieving God not a Good, merciful God that remembers His promises and His many mercies.

I think that in praying the promises of God is to remined yourself that no matter the situation God is our only hope in that He can through His mercy make a way for us no matter what. By knowing the Bible we learn many things specially who God is and what He can do and will do for us. When we learn about His promises we also learn about His will for us and this helps us pray His will in our lives.