JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Praying Boldly

Like Moses, we should know GOD well enough to not only hear him speaking to us, but to also know when he is speaking out of character from HIS frustration with a situation or the struggles of a people who have turned from the benefits HE has provided.Because he knows GOD as his friend, Moses can be bold enough to stand up to him, to persuade HIM toward HIS character of mercy, rather than delivering the punishment that is due. :(

GOD could easily have fulfilled the promises to Abraham, Issac and Jacob even if he did wipe out the people in the desert, he could have started over with the ones that were obedient, if there were some, and still had decendents that outnumber the grains of sand. This implanted the truth of GODS wrath and anger into Moses, but the people that were spared annialation seem to have missed the point.

To pray the promises of GOD, includes knowing HIS WORD, HIS character and his will so we are praying his truth. We are not praying against his will, being short sighted in our own ways, seeking our gain. We are not praying thy will be done if we don

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

1 Moses cared for the people he was leading he did not want them destroyed so presented his desires to God pleading for the people.

2. Moses appealed to God reminding Him that these were His people that He was about to destroy. He appealed to God's reputation and His name amoungst the Egyptians. He then specifically asked God to turn away His anger from His people.

3. When God makes a promise He will keep that promise. When we claim that promise God is faithful and keeps His promise to bring about his will.

4. If we know God's promises and His will as contained in scriptures we can pray effectively within God's plan.

Jeff

We should emulate ALL aspects of Moses prayer....to lift up to the LORD Jesus His name and what His name is worthy of ...He has so many names through out the OT and each is a character trait of His personal. When we re-iterate the same words of God's back in our talkilng with the LORD, then that is showing our need and our belief that HE is who He says HE is and will be there for us because of Who HE is.

To continue to pray the promises of God like this is to have intimacy and only those of us who pray or talk with the LORD for HIS GLORY TO BE SEEN AND HIS PURPOSE TO BE DONE AND HIS KINGDOM TO ADVANCE, will we then hear from Him and see His will be done...

The more you KNOW the WORD and the HOLY SPIRIT moves you toward the WORD, the more you KNOW GOD and HIS place/purpose/positiion/ and plans for YOUR OWN LIFE...

We absolutely need to emulate Moses' plea for God's mercy. I rather doubt that there is a formulaic method to get prayers answered. I am sure that the Holy Spirit orders our confused Babylonic speech and makes our speech acceptable to God.

Q2. What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers? Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God? What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"? How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered? How does this help our prayers be within God's will?

Moses had joined hands with God to bring the Israelites to the Promised Land.He knew that God loved His people and I do believe that Moses loved them too.Moses knew God His Justice and His Mercy.and he blodly stood in the gap for the cause of his people.

Moses had logical grounds to pray for his people He told God that the Isralites were His people,and that God,s reputation was at stake if He destroyed His people for the Egyptians would ridicule God.Moses stood on Gods promises that He would make the descendents of Abraham a mighty nation.He knew God well and He knew that God would relent and have mercy.

Our God is a God of His word.He has promised us that Heaven and Earth will pass away but His Word will remain and when we pray we can remind God of His promises and He will always fulfill His Word.

Knowing God's Word will help us know God and His promises for us so we can claim those promises and remain in His will.

Moses took the people before God in His prayers. He stood in the gap and ask God to give them another chance, that ws mercy and compassion on Moses behalf.

the loigical grounds was that he reminded God that these were his people, and He had had bought them out of bondage with great power and His mighty hand . He reminded God that the Egyptians would make this a talk of the town situation.

To pray the promises is to pray the Word of God. Ex. State the need and then pray the solution, such as God I know you will meet this need because your Word says, God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. This type of pryaing strngthens your faith because it is the Word that you are using and faith comes by hearing the Word.

The truth will set us free, but we must apply the truth of God's Word to our situation. speak the Wrod of God and in order to speak the Word we must know the Word and to know the Word we must hear, evaluate, apply, remember and try.

When we know God's Word we will pray more according to His will in life's situations. 1 John 5:14 says, " Now this is the confidence we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him. Tha is excercising our faith.

Q2. What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers? Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God? What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"? How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered? How does this help our prayers be within God's will?

We should emulate Moses' prayer of intercession because it is based on God's character and will. He is a forgiving, loving God and Moses directed his appeal to those characteristics, as well as righteousness. We don't deserve forgiveness--He forgives because that is who He is!

The realization that prayer be directed to God's attributes makes sense, though I've never thought that way and certainly my prayers of "I need" etc are not directed to God's attributes but to my needs. Looks like a redesign of the way I pray is in order!!!

:rolleyes:

If I've already answered this question, please forgive me.

Though I'm sure Moses knew that the Israelites deserved to be destroyed, he interceded for them. I think one aspect of Moses' prayer of intercession deals with the fact that he didn't focus on his own personal feelings and wants. God is very protective of His Name and Moses appealed to this ("Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain"). Knowing the Bible makes us knowledgeable of God's promises, so that when we pray, we can "remind" God of those promises and be confident that whatever we're asking for will come to pass. Knowledge of the Bible can help us to know God' will in certain circumstances.

What aspects of Moses' prayer of intercession should we emulate in our own prayers?

Moses took God's interests into his heart as his own.

By pleading with God to spare His people, he was showing mercy toward them. :)

Upon what logical grounds does Moses offer this bold appeal to God?

Moses appealed to God's character and reputation.

Moses reminded God that the Israelites were His people and that He had brought them out of the land of Egypt.

If God was to destroy them, the other nations would get the impression that He killed them off because He was unable to care for them. <_<

What do you think it means to "pray the promises of God"?

Praying the promises of God is to pray the word of God.

It is the pray the scriptures back to God. :)

How does knowing the Bible help you get your prayers answered.

The more we read and study the Bible, they more we are able to pray according to God's will.

We learn to pray according to His will rather than contrary to it.

When we support our prayers by backing them up with scripture, we align ourselves with God's will. :D

How does this help our prayers be within God's will?

The more we know the scriptures in the Bible, the better we our able to pray according to His will concerning our life situations. :)

:o

When we pray to God with a specific request, we pray with complete Faith, because what He is, what He has done earlier to His people and what He is to us, FATHER. And He is promise keeping God. Reminding them or recanting them in our prayer is assuring ourselves, that God would honor our prayer request. Moses appeals to God over the cosequences of annihilating the Isralite race, His chosen people. That it would give an edge to non-Isralites to slander the Holy God. When we know the many promises, miracles and the kindness of God the Father, from the word, we can remind them ourselves and claim forgiveness and victory over the sickness or temptation.

• 3 weeks later...

We should come boldly before the Throne of Grace with prayers of supplication: asking God to hear our prayers and to answer; pleading our case before Him. Moses acknowledges God's mighty power He used to bring these people out of Egypt. Moses asks that God not destroy them because the Egyptians will have a bad report about that. He asks God to remember the solemn promises He made to their forefathers. These are the people that God has chosen as His own, they are called by His name, and He is a merciful and forgiving God Who has promised as an inheritance to them the land of their fathers. As we study the Bible we will find so many, many of God's precious promises, we must remember that God wants to bless us with every spiritual blessing that He has for us. When we pray, knowing what God has promised us we can pray according to these promises. We will be praying God's will for our lives.

The aspects of Moses' prayer that we should emulate in our own prayersis everything. The appeal that we are His people through Jesus, His good name and reputation, His promises in the bible, His mercy and love, and His precedent.

The logical grounds that Moses offers this bold appeal is on The promese of God to Abraham, Isaac and Israel.

To pray the promises of God ,is just what it says . We are to to study the word and when a difficulty arises go the Father and ask as His will has been handed down to us.

Knowing the bible can help becaucse you are praying in His will.

It helps because we know what good things God has planned for us.

• 2 weeks later...

All these examples of prayer is but to show us the varied ways the Holy Spirit leads us to pray. We need to avoid following any prayer as a "pattern". Instead, we should pray as we are led after listening to the Holy Spirit for guidance. Sometimes he will tell us to just say "Thy will be done"...other times He will place within us a burning desire to be bold and "reason" with God as Moses did here.

We are Spirit led...not pattern led if we are true Christians.

J.

• 2 weeks later...

For me I need to pray with the boldness and trust that Moses did. He put forth his appeal to God and he wasn't afraid. I have recently been afraid to ask God to change a situation. I have been afraid to ask him to have the same result but in a different avenue. This lesson was huge for me. I really needed to hear, read, and place it upon the tablets of my heart.

Moses present a alternative answer to what God wants to acomplish. And it is definatly a ligitamete and a awesome solution to what God wants for the people of Egypt.

When I pray the promises of God I put the the word of God into action. I state that I know what God has said to me and that i hold it to be true and that i trust that it will be and that it will surely come to pass. Knowing the Bible helps me in my prayers because it allows this communion between Him and I. He reminds me of His words and i respond accordingly. The Bible IS Gods conversation with me. He speaks, I listen, I tell Him what I am thinking and we go back and forth. And when I am in a place of misunderstanding or confusion, He tells me were to go in the Bible, to seek refudge, to find peace, and to find the answer he wants me to hear. ..PRAISE BE TO GOD...

• 1 month later...

Moses was able to approach God with boldness on behalf of thge people. He also reminded God, (just as He requires of us to remind Him of His promises) about what the eneny nations would say. That God was unable to do what He promised His pople, and so decided to destoy them instead. We also as Christians ought to constantly interceed on behalf of sinners and unbelivers, that God would have mercy on them and save their souls.

Moses based his appeal on the promises of God to His people. To Abraham, Issaac, and Israel, and reminded God of His faithfulness to His words and promises.

It is essential to pray the promises of God, because God's promises are true and eternal. God Himself told us to remind Him of His promises. He is faithful to fufill His promises. It further shows that we know what God's will is concerning us.

Knowing the Bible is essential because it is from there that we know and understand the will of God. His purpose,plans and promises are revealed in His words.

When we pray according to God's will, He answers us. This is because God is only moved by His will.

Moses knew God intimitly. We need to know God this way also, by prayer, and by reading his words to us we grow close to God and begin to know him on a much deeper level than we ever thought was possible.

A perfect stranger can not come up to you and make demands on you to change your mind. that is why we must know God, know his will for us, his people, and his kingdom. then we can come boldly to the throne and ask our Father for his love, compassion and mercy to answer our petitions. We should use all aspects of Mose's prayer to come to the Father, including respect, honoring his decision in the end.

Moses knew the scriptures and God's promises, and asked according to what God had said, and promised.

Praying the promises of God increases our faith that God will answer based on his words and shows the Father we have faith in him to do the right thing.

If you don't know the Bible, then you won't know God's promises and can't back up your requests.

Knowing the scriptures is knowing God's will.

Moises prayed and pleaded to God and intercede for the people of Israel. We could see here that Moises prayed within God's perspective and not want he wants - he reiterated the promises of God and God was moved by the prayer of faith of Moises looking forward the fullfillment of what has God already promised.

We need to learn to pray within God's perspective and submit to His will, and how can we know His will? by reading and meditating to His words., - we do not see God physically but He could speak to us by His words thru the bible, we need to open our hearts and go to the flow of what God is showing us - and we will receive answer to our prayer.

• 1 month later...

We should take God's interest int our heart as our own . We should also be pleading God to have mercy upon us and others rather than condemnation .

Moses was basing on God's promises- that is character, righteousness and precedents.

Pray the promises of God means that , the promises God made with our forefathers , that is ,Abraham , Isaac and Israel are still there up to now if only we obey God's commands.

Knowing the Bible helps us to pray according to God's will

• 3 weeks later...

As Moses appealed to God for who He is and how He presents Himself through His word this is what we should duplicate from Moses' example.

Moses' logic is God's obvious love compounded by God's own promise to muliply the seed of the forefathers, a reminder to God of His own word.

To pray the promises of God is to ask of Him what He has told us He will give, which is more than we will ever need. Knowing the bible is instrumental in having effective prayer.

You cannot possibly pray in God's will if you do not know Him, have a relationship with Him which can only be established by obeying Him as He has intructed, in the bible.

As Moses appealed to God for who He is and how He presents Himself through His word this is what we should duplicate from Moses' example.

Moses' logic is God's obvious love compounded by God's own promise to muliply the seed of the forefathers, a reminder to God of His own word.

To pray the promises of God is to ask of Him what He has told us He will give, which is more than we will ever need. Knowing the bible is instrumental in having effective prayer.

You cannot possibly pray in God's will if you do not know Him, have a relationship with Him which can only be established by obeying Him as He has intructed, in the bible.

Moses was bold. He knew God. He trusted God. Afterall, Moses didn't drag millions of people out into the wilderness on a "feeling". He knew he could trust God to be faithful to His word and His promises. Moses had an intimate relationship with Father God. They had seen each other face to face.

God's promises are God's word and vise versa. God's word is what He knows. Jesus showed us in "The Lord's Prayer"...thy will be done... The Bible, the Word is God's will. He is not a man that He should lie.

• 3 weeks later...

We should remind God of His great power and mighty hand and his promises to his people We should ask God to turn his wrath away and pled for mercy while standing in the gap for our nation If God destoryed the Isrelities in the desert then the Egyptians would only think that was His reason for getting them out of Egypt.

They would see God as only a God of wrath and not of love and mercy too.

To pray the promises of God means to me that you take the scripture promises and pray what it say making it a personal to God for you or on behalf of someone, or a city of state or nation.

When you know how to pray the scriptures you are praying God's will because He wrote it.