JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Persistence

Abraham was persistence because he started with 50 and ended up with 10 rightous people Ibelieve his main focus was on Lot's family. We have to be persistence in our prayers if we results. Yes I prayed through and at the time it seem as if I was

praying in vain, I almost gave up then I realized that my time was not God's time. then the answer came.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lesson 3 Q 4

In what way does Abraham show persistence?

Abraham shows persistence by he do not give up, he keeps bargaining with God until God gives the answer.

Why is persistence necessary in prayer?

Persistence is necessary in prayer because it shows our faith in God and by persisting we believe God will answer our prayers.

Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

I can not say that I have been so faithful in praying like the older generation but I have prayed, knowing within that God will answer my prayer one way or another. I have total faith in God that He will come through for me.

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence?

He continued to importune God regarding any righteous people who may be living in Sodom.

In scripture we are told that God will do what needs to be done, if His chosen ones continue to beseech Him day and night.

Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

From personal experience, be careful what you pray for. You may get it, but it may not be in a way you like.

Abraham showed persistence in that he keeps asking, and even keeps lowering the number. Persistence shows God that you really are serious about what you're praying for. I can't say I've ever "prayed through".

Something to share....

My Dad has an aneurysm on his aorta and this week came to see the doctors at the Arizona Heart Institute. I am going through a lot in my life right now, and really couldn't handle losing my Dad. I prayed and ended it with accepting that God's will be done. The doctors said that the doctors who sent him to the Institute over-reacted, and they're just going to check on it again in six months! Praise God!

Abrahan continued to enquire with God how far he was willing to go.

And even as he was answered continued to seek more for the answer he wanted which would give Lot his salvation.

I was having much difficulty dealing with some character weakness with my new wife who was also a new Christian at the time. I was daily and constantly before God pleading for him to reveal to her the need to change some of those bad habits .

Funny thing was He instructed me to place a mirror in my prayer room.

As I did this he them showed me as I looked at myself, that I was the one who needed to change.

I repented and was absolutely humbled in my prayertime that day.

As I walked inside to my wife Who was waiting for the fight (verbal),all I could do was seek her forgiveness and confess my Faults.

This absolutley flawed her not being accustomed to this behavior from her previous partners,she was humbled knowing that the problem was her fault and was changed from then on.

Abraham shows persistence by continuing to intercede for the possible righteous living in Sodom, though he knew there were few. He felt with each positive reaction from God, the courage to persist in prayer for the few, if not just his nephew and his family. It was in Abrahams heart to take a risk on behalf of savable lives, like Esther.

Jesus shows us it is to our benefit to be persistent in prayer. It brings us closer to our Creator, and allows Him the great pleasure to reward our faithful persistence.

I have experienced a praying through answer to prayer, and I also knew in my heart that my families faithfulness and faith in that prayer being answered would indeed find an answer. It was relatively swift, within 2 months I think, and it was on behalf of a friend, and past neighbor. It was wonderful for me and my son to experience the joy of persistent daily intercession on behalf of a friend. God is sooooo good.

He keeps asking believing that he will get results

Its important to pray persistently when we need results. I think he wants us to becuase wants to see if we really believe for what we are asking. :unsure:

Have you ever experienced "praying through"?

yes :rolleyes:

What was it like?

Its a good feeling to have God agree with you and give you the answer you were seeking him for. :D

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence

necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"?

What was it like?

Abraham continued asking God to reduce the number of righteous people required. Sometimes answers to prayer don't come easily andspiritual warfare through prayer is needed for a breakthrough. I have experienced praying through in praying for my father-in-law to come to have a personal relationship with Jesus and it took quite some time praying before peace and release came and then the answer came a number of months later. It was exciting to see the result!

I find myself speachles. This subject has been tough for me for years. I had often wondered or questioned my faith because I wouldn't pray once and have the faith to let it go from there.

I can't add to what has allready been written down.

Q4 In what way does Abraham show persistence ? Whay is persistence necessary in Prayer?

Abraham show persistence for continually praying going from 50 to 10. Presistence in prayer overcomes our insensitiveness, not God's It does more to change our hearts and minds than his. It helps us understand and express the intensity of our need. it is helpful to pray as if the answer depended on our prayer, but then to trust that the answer depends on God. Persisstence in prayer helps us reconize God's work when we see it.

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Abraham bargains with God to save people from fifty all the way to ten. And Abraham didn't jump from fifty to ten he went by intervals. Persistence is necessary because "praying until assurance of an answer comes." Yes I have prayed through and peace came over me, it was exactly what I needed.

Oh yes,Abraham showed persistance.He prayed the same prayer but lowered the numbers,"but Lord please dont be angry with me,"he bodly bargains God down from 50 to 10.Abraham was persistent,and in this situation Abraham needed to be, because he was wanting to bring as many righteous out of Sodom,so they not be destroyed also along with the wicked. Abraham new God was going to destroy all of Sodom,so he had to pray through,knowing what could happen to Lots family and the righteous,pleading to God for the people.

Yes,I believe I have prayed through a bad situation.I prayed for a person that I love,and for others who had the same addiction.I found myself right in the mist of what these poor addicts were going through.God showed me its not so easy to get yourself out of any situation without Him.I prayed and asked God for His help over,and over again.I was a desperate mother.God heard my prayers and answered my prayers within a year.I still pray for assurance,for God to keep the evil away.What was it like?Sometimes I thought God was not hearing my prayers.Sometimes I asked God why was this happening.I even went through fear of death for my loved one.Even fear for my own family.I seperated my family from my loved one.I did what I had to do.God came through for me,for my loved one,and my

family.I knew God was our only hope.I leaned on his promises,and His strength to deliver my loved one from this addiction.I want everyone to hear me.I now give God all the Glory for what he did.I praise God and Honor God,for reaching out to my loved one in giving her life back,and bringing her out of this addiction.Amen and Amen

:rolleyes:

Abraham doesn't stop at 50, he continues down to 10 people and he knew that God would answer his prayer. Abraham didn't give up and settle, he continued until he knew he had gone far enough.

Persistence is necessary because it shows God where our hearts lie. (He already knows but then we need to know also.) Persistence in the right things will make Gad take action and give you an answers.

Yes, it was really cool to see. Our church needed a major overhaul. As a congregation we prayed for one thing at a time. When that prayer was totally answered to completion we would start to pray for the next thing that was needed. God provided everything. Then we prayed, thanked God for all that He had provided from the roof to the ground. Completion because we prayed though the need believing that God would meet each need as it arose.

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL OF YOUR HEARTS!

hi

Abraham asked 6 times for God to spare Sodom because of the righteous people who lived there. Each time reducing the number of righteous people that would be needed for God to spare the city. God answered His first request affirmatively yet Abraham persisted in his reqest 5 more times to save Lot and his family.

I have experienced "praying through" (though not often enough). It was a delight to see the way God affirmed my reqests in the outcome of the answers He gave.

jeff

In what way does Abraham show persistence? Have you ever experienced prayng through? What was it like?

Abraham didn't give up with the number 50. What if there were fewer? So he kept asking about fewer and fewer. He persisted because He cared about God (who is not willing that any should perish 2 Peter 3:9) and He cared about those righteous who would perish with the wicked.

Today we need to be charitable towards those who are lost in wickedness as we once were and pray for them.

Once when we were moving I knew some unbelievers whom I loved dearly ( in my own selfish way) and I laid with my face down and prayed for them until I found peace. I never saw the outcome to that prayer but I knew God put me in the situation for His purpose. He is to be trusted. Sometimes it is difficult for us to let go when we have prayed so hard and we want to see but He asks us to. We are to trust and obey.

We need to pray for each other and each others children.

Please God have mercy on us and on our children.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

A. He continues to ask---up to six times, each time increasing the odds of saving Sodom.

B. Persistence demonstrates the depth and sincerity of the prayer, as well as the faith and trust of the one praying for the one their praying to.

C. "Praying through," felt like a weight being lifted; like sunshine after a dark cloud; like a fresh burst of joy.

Abraham continued to ASK God for more..."What if only forty are found there?"....."Now that I have been so bold as to jspeak to the LOTD, what if only twenty can be found there?"......

As he seems to plead with a heart that is contrite, God sees the intent....

YES..I have prayed (talked) with my LORD and over and over as each moment turned into other moments...thru addiction and then finding myself praying for others with addictions and then seeing DELIVERANCE come and FORGIVENESS giving way to JOY and continued praying thru day in and day out...AN ONGOING WITH THE FATHER....

Jesus gives me many times precious scriptures that reveal to me HE IS DONE...or HE WILL continue to see me thru a situation...the scriptures are HIM speaking directly about this thing .... the more I am TRUSTING in a prayerful situation (or I call it FAITH-ing IT).....I find a delightful or a bouncing back and forth experience with my JESUS; He sees my FAITH-ing IT and HE delights to bless me again and again...and then I FAITH-IT and He blesses me and REMINDS me over and over of this LOVE ; this unquenching love he fills me up with!!!

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Abraham shows persistence by going back to God over and over again with the same problem.It showed God that He alone had the answers.It is important to persist in prayer we are taught that in the scriptures.Jesus is our example He is seated at the right hand of the Father interceeding for us all the time.

Yes I have experienced praying through. I suffered 6 miscarriages and the doctors gave up on me I went to many doctors I was advised to adopt a child and while I dont have a problem with that I said I would not give up.I went to God and I would weep my heart out. It was in the quiet times with the Lord that my trust in Him grew,and that enabled me to go to him persistently, in prayer and He blessed with with my son and later with a daughter. It is impossible to explain what the feeling is one needs to experience a breakthrough in prayer to really know.Our God is Faithfull and His mercies are new everymorning. :D

All I have to say is Praies God that he is a wonderful and giving father, wether he answers our prayers the first time we ask or the hundredth. I am so thankful that he has even taken the time to be interested in me and my problems. Parying had changed my life and the lives of many that I love. I have seen many answers to my prayers and there are many that I still wathing answers for. Either way I know that he is always with me.

In Genesis 12:1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

(Did Abram come up with an excuse, or complain about leaving home, and going some place he knew nothing about)?

(2) And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

(3) And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

(Jesus) would come through Abraham's (seed) line, and (he) will be a blessing to all the earth).

(4) So Abram departed as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran. ( Abram was Lot's uncle.)

Genesis 13:1 And Abram went up out of Egypt, he, and his wife, and all that he had, and Lot with him, into the south.

(5) And Lot also, which with Abram, had flocks, and herds, and tents.

(7) And there was strife between the herdmen of Abram's cattle and the herdmen of Lot's cattle: and the Canaanite and the Perizzite dwelled then in the land.

Abram and Lot were well blessed with cattle , and they didn't have enough room for all of there flock.

(11) Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other. (They didn't seperate as enemies, they just knew that it was time to spread out.)

(12) And Abram dwelled in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelled in the cities of the plain, and pitched he tent toward Sodom.

(13) But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly.

(They were doing every ungodly thing you could think of. In Genesis (Chapter 14), some of the kings of the east captured Sodom and Gomorrah, and took all the goods and their victuals and went on their way. They also took Lot and his goods. One of the men who were confederate with Abram, escaped and came and told him what had happened. Abram took three hundred and eighten men, by night and smote the them. )

(16) And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.

(18) And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most hight God.

(NONE OTHER THAN JESUS HIMSELF) Abram was talking to "THE SAVIOUR" who would later come from his loins, his seed line!!!!

(19) And he (Jesus) blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:

(20) And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he (Abram) gave him tithes of all. (Do you think Abram knew who Melchizedek was)?

Genesis 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

(Abram was to have integrity, truth:-without blemish, complete, full, perfect, sincerely(-ity), sound without spot, undefiled, upright(-ly), whole).

(2) And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exeedingly.

(3) And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,

(4) As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

(5) Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee .

(10) This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised. (Did Abraham say I'm too old to be circumcised, did he complain)?

(23) And Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all that were born in his house, and all that were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham's house; and circumcised the flesh of the foreskin in the selfsame day, as God had said unto him,

(24) And Abraham was ninety years old and nine (99), when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.

(God, already knew that Abraham was concerned about Lot, because he was there with him when Abraham went to rescue Lot. He had made a covenant with Abraham. Not once did Abraham dis-obey him.)

Genesis 18:17 And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;

(18) Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? ((again, the comming of Christ).

(19) For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

(20) And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;

(21) I will go down now, and see whether they (the angels) have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not I will know.

(God already knew how many would be saved from the destruction.) Abraham knew that God was a righteous God, he knew God was fair.

(23) And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

(27)And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the LORD, which am but dust and ashes:

(Abraham was well aware of who was the clay, and who was the potter. He spoke from his heart, he prayed to God with earnesty, along with humbleness. He didn't say , well Iv'e been doing every thing you told me to do , so you owe me one.)

Abraham knew that a Messiah was comming and he was grateful that God had chosen his family to be the SEED line through which the Messiah would come.

those of us who know God's plan, and are well aware , that the anti-christ must come first. We know that Satan will be here for five (5) months sitting in Jerusalem, pretending to be the Real Christ. This is that that was spoken of by Daniel the Prophet. He (satan) and the fallen angels are comming to deceive as many people as they can, especially those who believe in the RAPTURE THEORY. Satan is the one on the (FIRST WHITE HORSE) in the book of Revelation. SEE 2Thessalonians 2:3, Revelation 9:5,,9:10,SeeThe Shepherds chapel

Abraham kept on asking, showing persistance.

The Word of God tells us to keep on asking, seeking and knocking again showing persistance and perserverance.

He keeps asking God if He will still destroy Sodom if 50 righteous men are found there, then 45,then 40, and so on, down to 10.

I believe by that time, Abraham figured if at least 10 righteous people couldn't be found in Sodom, then the city wasn't worth saving.

It's sad when you think about it.

All those years Lot lived in Sodom and he couldn't even convert his own family,much less anyone else. B)

We need to keep praying and not give up until we recieve an answer.

Jesus said we are to ask, seek, and knock.

There are some who teach that you are only supposed to pray for something once, then trust God to answer in His time.

To keep praying for something over and over is praying in disbelief.

However, this teaching goes against scripture.

We are to continue in prayer until God gives as an answer. :)

Have you ever experienced "praying through"?

Yes! Quite a few times in my Christian life. :)

What was it like?

It was like a burden had lifted and I felt a peace in my soul. B)

If actions speak louder than words then I think it was significant that Abraham stood there even when the rest left.

God answered a "praying through" in a way that was my most least desirable way possible. If I could have thought of this situation in terms of worst case scenario, then the answer to prayer fulfilled that worst case. BUT God has always reminded me that Jesus is His "YES" to us.

Where else to go, for Jesus has the words of life!