JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Commander of the Armies of the Lord

Pastor Ralph

Q1. (Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side? What is the significance of this? What did Joshua feel like during this encounter? How did he feel after this encounter?

1. a. Because He wanted Joshua to know he was in charge, He is the commander. Joshua needs to be on God's side, not God on Joshua's side.

b.We usually ask God to bless our plans, but what are his plans, we need to be on His side. When we are totally submitted to Him, He fights for us.

c. Joshua was questioning Him until he realized it was God Himself, then he was humbled and fell face down in reverence.

d. Joshua was totally submitted to God and would do whatever He asked. He could now be confident that the Lord would do what he said he would... deliver Jericho into his hands along with its king and its fighting men.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the commander responded that way because his agenda was Gods agenda and not mans agenda.

The significance of this is that we must have a God agenda and not a self agenda . I believe at the first encounter Joshua was afraid. after the encounter he felt assured of victory .

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side? What is the significance of this? What did Joshua feel like during this encounter? How did he feel after this encounter?

This is because the Israelites army are suppose to be enlisted in His cause so, it was a wrong question for Joshua to ask rather he would have asked if Israel was on the Lords side. This should apply to us all whatever happens or we do we should always check if we are on Gods side and if not retrace our steps. Joshua felt it was God who appeared to Him and he fell face down to the ground as a reverence to God. He felt secured with an assurance that God will be with them and fight the battle for them for He who has promised never fails.

• 1 month later...

Okay..first off..The Commander answered "Neither" for each side had it's own agenda. He had no part of the agenda of man. It's significant in that His way is perfect not to be contorted by man's agenda or motives. I'm sure at first Joshua was a bit pensive at seeing a man with a sword drawn. He reacted accordingly. Afterward, he realized where he needed to be, in line with God's plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Joshua 5:13-15: "When Joshua was by Jericho, he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man was standing before him with his drawn sword in his hand. And Joshua went to him and said to him, "Are you for us, or for our adversaries?" And he said, "No; but I am the commander of the army of the LORD. Now I have come." And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped and said to him, "What does my lord say to his servant?" And the commander of the Lord's army said to Joshua, "Take off your sandals from your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy." And Joshua did so."

The Commander said he was on neither side because he doesn't care which side he's on. The significance is God's way is so perfect, only he doesn't contorted by men's emotions. Joshua felt greater than ever before. Joshua didn't felt sure after he realized that he need to be in line with God's plan.

Jos 5:13 When Joshua was by Jericho, he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man was standing before him with his drawn sword in his hand. And Joshua went to him and said to him, "Are you for us, or for our adversaries?"

Jos 5:14 And he said, "No; but I am the commander of the army of the LORD. Now I have come." And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped and said to him, "What does my lord say to his servant?"

Jos 5:15 And the commander of the Lord's army said to Joshua, "Take off your sandals from your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy." And Joshua did so.

The commander said he was on neither side because, He shouldn't choose sides. That is what we have to do. The significance of this is that the Lord shows that no body can tell him what to do. I think Joshua felt weird that the commander did not choose sides and after i think he was confused.

Jos 5:13 When Joshua was by Jericho, he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man was standing before him with his drawn sword in his hand. And Joshua went to him and said to him, "Are you for us, or for our adversaries?"

Jos 5:14 And he said, "No; but I am the commander of the army of the LORD. Now I have come." And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped and said to him, "What does my lord say to his servant?"

Jos 5:15 And the commander of the LORD's army said to Joshua, "Take off your sandals from your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy." And Joshua did so.

The Commander was the Commander of the LORD, he is the LORD Himself the leader of the Heavenly Hosts. It is not Him who picks the sides but us who decide whose side we are on. We can choose to follow the LORD or we can follow the enemy. During this encounter Joshua must have a first wondered what was going on then he must have felt awe and wonder and after the encounter Joshua must have felt trust and faith and he did what he was told to do.

• 1 month later...

The statement that He was on neither side was made to make Joshua to realize that the battle was not according to Joshua's will. The battle for Jericho was according to the will of God for His people. God wants us to fight for His causes and for this we will have his support and victory in His name and to His glory according to His will.

When Joshua realized he was in the presence of the Lord, he was overcome with His power and glory. This resulted in Him falling down in worship and humility. Imagine, even though you have been visited by God, you still are made to realize your relative position to Him and His purity. The dirt your shoes pick up is symbolic of your sins that are picked up by you in your walk through life. Hence they are unfit to be worn on the ground made holy by His presence and must be removed. Although you would feel somewhat special to be in His presence, you would be definitely humbled by this prerequisite action.

Once he had been in the presence of God, Joshua's resolve would have been renewed as he realized no matter what odds he faced, victory was assured - not because of his efforts in battle, but due to the will and presence of God and His angelic armies. This would indeed be a confidence booster.

• 3 weeks later...

Since God is the mighty warrior, the all-powerful King, He is the commander. We have to be on His side. I imagine that Joshua was humbled, perhaps fearful somewhat - in awe. After this encounter, I can imagine that he might have been greatly encouraged, thrilled perhaps- He was on God's side, and very thankful. His commander would not leave him.

• 1 month later...

The Commander is or represents the God Most High / God Almighty. He doesn’t have to say what side He’s on when He is over and in charge of ALL things. The battles are not ours they’re His; He decides how it’s going to go, who wins and who loses. It’s significant because God’s appearance gave Joshua a sense of security in that “HE was in charge of this fight and not only was HE with him/Joshua but, HE will lead him/Joshua into in battle as well. El Shaddai the Commander demolished the enemy and its territory in the Spirit realm and Joshua watched them fall in the natural. This not only gave Joshua the assurance that he needed to go forward and have victory in battle. It showed him that God meant what He said when He told him “not to be afraid because He would be with him”; not only in battle but always.

• 2 weeks later...

The Commander can't be a part of either side-they must be on his side for he is the Commander. The question should be "Are we on his side?"

We are to be on the Lord's side and not to expect Him to come to our side.

God is not a rubber stamp that is always there to stamp and approve our desire.

We are to acknowledge, go and call on HIM.

''And it shall come to pass,

that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.''

• 4 months later...

Because that was the wrong question. It was not the issue. The real question is not whether God is on my side, but whether I am on God's Side.

Joshua would have been at first frightened and then prone to listen carefully.

And at the end he must have felt empowered by God. For He obeyed implicitly all that was said without further question. He realized that He had seen and heard God HImself in one form or another... it matters not which. And He was prepared to obey Him and did indeed obey Him.

• 5 months later...

Joshua's question is from the human perspective, but it is the wrong question as it relates to God. We need to ask if we are on God's side. That is, are we walking in obedience to Him? Joshua at first approached the person, apparently without fear. But when he realized Who it was, he fell face down in submission and surrender. He asked for instructions and obeyed. I expect that after the encounter, he was in a state of exhilaration and joy.

• 2 months later...

The COMMANDER said HE was on neither because as COMMANDER of the LORD's Army, HE came. HE is not of Israel's army must be enlisted in HIS cause HE is The COMMANDER not they. The significance is we as Israel must be on GOD's side. Joshua felt the Pressence of GOD. Joshua felt assured because he knew that GOD will be with him.

• 9 months later...

Q1. (Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side?  Because God is on the side of those who are following His plans.

What is the significance of this? Because God is the Commander In Chief, not Israel.

What did Joshua feel like during this encounter? How did he feel after this encounter?          Joshua felt confident, because God told him that he would be with him and to be strong and courageous and do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.

• 4 weeks later...

The Commander wanted Joshua to realize that he needed to be on God's side; on the Commanders side.  Instead of Joshua fighting for his reasons he needed to be fighting for the Commanders reasons. Once Joshua realized this he felt the courage and the strength he needed to go into battle.  During the encounter he was humbled and fell to his knees in reverence. He felt assured because he knew that his God, the Commander, would never leave him.  He would be there in battle right beside him. 

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side?

Almighty God is not "on our side". We must be on His side. He doesn't serve us; we must serve Him. I know the Bible says that if God is for us who can be against us? But in this case God wanted to make sure Joshua . . . and whoever reads the account of the conquest in the Bible subsequently . . . knows that He is the One in charge. The victory over the city of Jericho was a supernatural victory in every way.

What is the significance of this?

The conquest of Jericho was a major milestone in the establishment of God's Kingdom on Earth. It was significant because of the supernatural way in which God handed the city over to Israel. The giving of the Promised Land to Abraham's descendents was done in such a way that news of how God did it would spread. It was important that history records that God achieved the victory and not the military might of Israel.

What did Joshua feel like during this encounter?

Joshua knew he stood in the presence of God. Therefore when God told him who He was, Joshua immediately asked what message The Lord had for His servant. When God told Joshua he was on holy ground Joshua took off his sandals and prostrated himself before his God. I imagine Joshua felt incredibly priveliged.

How did he feel after this encounter?

Ten feet tall and bulletproof most likely! Joshua was careful to instruct the Israelites to do exactly what God had outlined in His battle plan. He knew he was God's instrument in this encounter and was not going to make any mistakes.

• 6 months later...

God is the commander, they are not. Israel's army must be listed in his cause. The significance of this is that we should ask ourselves are we on God's side. Joshua felt, like his forefathers before him, he was before the presence of God. He lies prostrate before the Lord. After this Joshua knew that the battle ahead was assured, the Lord was fully with the Israelites. 

• 11 months later...

God does not take sides!   He is on the side of righteousness. He has an ultimate plan with ALL involved.  He loves and believes in man and has a purpose to build into man faith, humbleness, dependence  and Christlike character!

The moment Joshua realized The Commander is God, he knew himself to be totally dependent on The Mighty Warrior !    After his encounter his faith was strengthened, he was confident and focused !

• 3 weeks later...

The Commander was not there to take sides but to take over and take charge as Commander of the Lord's army.

This is significant  was for Joshua to acknowlege God's claim and God's purposes. We tend to expect God to support us rather than submit and follow him.The battle was a joint venture.We must follow the Lord and be in submission of hie authority.

Joshua would have felt reassured and confident because he had heard Moses say "the Lord will fight for you;you only need to be still. So he fell down in worship and submission before his creator.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Names of God. lesson 2; Joshua 5:13-15.

Q1: Why did the Commander say he was on neither side?

He was the Commander in charge of the battle, which was God's battle and destiny for Israel. Joshua was to be on the side of God which was to obey and conquer the land He had promised to give them.

What is the significance of this?

This wasn't Joshua's battle as he had assumed...he need only show up with his army and follow the Heavenly Commander's orders.

What did Joshua feel like during this encounter?

Completely humbled, undone, in submission to the Commander whom had revealed Himself as God, as He had done with Abraham and Moses before him. He was on his face lying on Holy Ground before the Mighty Warrior, Lord of Hosts.

How did he feel after this encounter?

He was confident that God was not only going into battle but that victory was assured. I thought about how I feel when I'm assured that life's battles are God's and not mine, and relief, rest, peace  and joy best describe that feeling.