JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Elisha and the Chariots

Pastor Ralph

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid? What was the difference between Elisha and his servant? What does it take for our eyes to be opened? How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?

As with all of us, Elisha's servant was afraid because he could not see a solution to his present condition, he was around a powerful man of God and still was not quite ready to rest his faith in God. Even after Elisha told him don't be afraid those that are with us are greater than those that are with them his belief was still wanting.

It was not until Elisha prayed that God would open his (the servant's) eyes that be could actual see God the numbers of the heavenly host and experience God's saving power.

1 John 4:4 is the New Testament scripture equivalent to what Elisha told his servant. it Says to us be not afraid those that are with us are greater than those that are with them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid? What was the difference between Elisha and his servant? What does it take for our eyes to be opened? How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?

Elisha's servant was afraid because he couldn't see what Elisha was seeing. He didn't know if what Elisha was seeing was good or bad. The difference between them was that Elisha walked with God and prayed to Him in his distress, all the while putting his trust in the Lord of battles. When we spend more time with God, when we get to know His heart even more, when we trust Him in every circumstance and when our spirits merge in love and one-ness, God reveals things to His children. 1 John 4:4 encourages me because I need only to look to God, because I draw my strength and power through He who lives within me. Also, I don't have to fight the battle, I let God do this because the battle is His

• 3 weeks later...

God be Praised!!! Elisha's servant was afraid because he knew not the Lord that Elisha served. He wasn't aware of the presence of God at the time that he approached Elisha... he may not have been a child of God, the Lord says that His sheep know His voice... Elisha's servant relied on Elisha, and not God, his relationship with God appeared to have come through Elisha, as opposed to being personal with God himself... We as Christians will never be able to see the glory and the protection of God if we do not believe in the God we serve... we must know in our hearts, minds and souls that God will never leave us nor forsake us, and that He is a present help in our time of need... Yet it takes the power of the Holy Spirit to reveal God to us, He is the only one who can open our eyes to the truth... He was the one who at the request of Elisha through prayer, open the servants eyes that he may see...

1John 4:4 strengthens me in that though I may be weak, my God is strong, for His strength is made pefect in my weakness... I know that facing battles alone I am no match for the enemy, He would surely overtake me, however God is greater than all, He created the waster to destroy, and He said that is Greatness in me far outweighs that which is in the world, which comes against me... if God be for me there is none other that can be against me... I am a Child of the Most High God, Mighty in Battle!! Commander of the Heavenly Hosts.... Hallelujah!! And my Father will protect me, His child.

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid? What was the difference between Elisha and his servant? What does it take for our eyes to be opened? How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle

Elisha's servant was afraid because he/she only saw the inevitable happening since the city was surrounded with King Aram's forces. Elisha, on the other hand, had faith in God's rescue plan. The difference is that Elisha was a man of faith and his servant was not.

We need to learn from Elisha's faith and know without a shadow of a doubt that God is sovereign and He is in control no matter what. This is the solid foundation that we need to drive deep into our hearts as it is so easy to forget God in times of difficulty.

• 1 month later...

Elisha's servant was afraid because he saw the power of the enemy attacking them, while Elisha saw the army that the Lord of Hosts sent to their rescue. We all need to always pray to God to open our spiritual eyes to see what is happening in the spiritual realm. This will make us realize that the One in us is much greater than the one in the world.

• 1 month later...

Elisha's servant was afraid because he was unable to see God's army. Elisha knew that God was there and that God's Army was mightier than Aram's Army; Elisha's servant did not. 1 John 4:4 can strengthen us in battle because it lets us know that God has our back and we shouldn't be afraid. God is greater thatn anything that comes against us. Through Jesus we are overcomers. Our faith should be in God not in ourselves or other humans. :o

• 4 months later...

Elisha's servant could not see the whole army there to protect without Elisha praying for the opening of his eyes. All he saw was the army against them. the circumstances and not the answer.

Elisha had the faith to believe in God and he was able to trust in the Lord. he also was looking at the outcome not the circumstances of the battle. He knew the battle was the Lord's and not his.

It takes us believing and seeing God's answers and knowing that He is always there for us. It takes us walking in faith and not disbelief

We are in God and the one who is in us is greater than the one who is in the world. That is the force we have behind us and the victory is always ours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Names of God: 2. The God of Might ('El Shaddai)‏

From this account in 2 Kings of The King of Aran

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17)

Why was Elisha's servant afraid?

What was the difference between Elisha and his servant?

What does it take for our eyes to be opened?

How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?

Elisha

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

Elisha's servant was afraid because he could not see into the spiritual realm, he had no idea, what was there, until God opened his eyes. Elisha on the other hand, knew what was there, to protect them. He knew, God was there with His armies, there was nothing to fear. When you learn to beleive God, your eyes become open. You start seeing thing differently. 1 John 4:4 But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world. NLT Just to know God is with you, and is there to fight your battle, will give you inspiration, courage and strength. For our God is mighter then Satan, who is in the world.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After careful consideration o fhte scripture, I think it was a natural thing for Elisha's servant to feel fear. He was facing the unknown. Elisha, however,had time to develop a relationship with an awesome and powerful Father, and he knew the capability God had to protect those who walk in HIs light. Sometimes we need a God moment to redefine how we feel about our relationship with God, and I think this moment may have served the servant well as just that. I can only imagine his walk after seeing what the God of our universe can do.

The passage in 1John serves to remind us all that God is greater than any adversary we will ever face, and it is a wonderful reminder of what God is capable of doing when we are in deepest times of stress.

Elisha's servant was afraid because he did not have eyes of faith. Elisha asked God to give him eyes to see, and he saw the armies of heaven which were much greater thn the enemie's. It takes salvation so the Holy Spirit can open our eyes to God's word, his principles, his love, his law and opens the door for His own armies to battle for us.

• 1 month later...

Elisha's servant was afraid because he didn't have the same Vision as Elisha and saw no one to help them. Elisha realized that one not necessarily see with one's eyes in order to understand. Although Spirituality is mentioned here in a military context...the original conflict is begun with the non-acceptance of Spirituality...hence when reached to the stage of definition, as in Elisha's dilemma, his Spiritual Strength will carry him to his Ultimate goal...God's support for Life.

• 3 weeks later...

Elisha's servant looked at the natural world while Elisha's eyes were on the Lord. He knew that God would protect them.

We have to realize that our God is the Mighty warrior and nothing is impossible for Him. He is our protector. We also have to look away from our natural circumstances and pray that He will open our eyes to see His protection and to realize that His armies surrounds us. He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world. Praise God , we have nothing to fear.

Being able to "see" as Elisha did has much to do with faith. Faith is a gift of God but it is one we need to exercise for growth. As we anticipate, watch, and see God working in our lives, our faith grows. Elisha saw what God promised. His servant had yet to experience what Elisha already knew to be true. God, in His Grace, opened the servants eyes to see instantly what many take a life time to see. When we can truly see that God is greater than all things of the world (He is the creator of all which makes Him sovereign over all), and He is, by His Spirit in me, then no one or nothing can prevail against me. It is Him who is at war for me. I only need the faith to "see" that He is.

• 1 month later...

2. a. Elisha's servant was afraid because he saw in the natural. He saw a city surrounded with an army, and horses and chariots, with no way out.

b. Elisha saw in the spiritual, he was not afraid, he had faith and believed God to deliver.

c. An opportunity to trust God, faith in God and believe and declare His Word.

d. Knowing that I belong to God. Christ is in me and greater is He that is in me that he that is in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

The servant was afraid because he was looking to his lord Elisha and not to the LORD. The difference between the servant and Elisha was Elisha had a relationship with God the Lord of hosts and the servant didn't. In order for our eyes to be open we must have a true relationship with God.1Jn.4:4 strengthens me in my spiritual battles because I know that I am a child of God and He has over come the world therefore I'v over come too because He lives in me.

• 1 month later...

The servant was afraid because he is still learning and have not experienced God power or revelation of God which Elisha had experienced or seen, Elisha could see the host of army surrounding the city and he knew the battle is won but the servants eyes were not opened to spiritual things all he could see was the armies, horses and chariots surrounding the city and imagine how possible it is to overcome this troop. It takes the spirit of God in us for our eyes to be opened because He reveals God to us all the time. My strength in whatever spiritual battle I face as it is written in IJhn.4:4 I am Gods child and have overcome every battle because the one that is in me is greater than the one that is in the world. - seen or unseen the commander of all battles is with me therefore I am victorious in Jesus Name

• 1 month later...

2 Kings 6:13-17: "And he said, "Go and see where he is, that I may send and seize him." It was told him, "Behold, he is in Dothan." So he sent there horses and chariots and a great army, and they came by night and surrounded the city. When the servant of the man of God rose early in the morning and went out, behold, an army with horses and chariots was all around the city. And the servant said, "Alas, my master! What shall we do?" He said, "Do not be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them." Then Elisha prayed and said, "O LORD, please open his eyes that he may see." So the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha."

Elisha's servant was afraid because he haven't experienced God's Power which is why Elisha has more experience/seen. It takes our eyes to opened is to learn God's word, to pray, and to worship. According to 1 John 4:4; " Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world." God is still live in us that we can have faith in us.

2Ki 6:13 "Find out where he is!" the king ordered. "I'll send soldiers to bring him here." They learned that Elisha was in the town of Dothan and reported it to the king.

2Ki 6:14 He ordered his best troops to go there with horses and chariots. They marched out during the night and surrounded the town.

2Ki 6:15 When Elisha's servant got up the next morning, he saw that Syrian troops had the town surrounded. "Sir, what are we going to do?" he asked.

2Ki 6:16 "Don't be afraid," Elisha answered. "There are more troops on our side than on theirs."

2Ki 6:17 Then he prayed, "LORD, please help him to see." And the LORD let the servant see that the hill was covered with fiery horses and flaming chariots all around Elisha.

Elisha's sevant was afriad because it was just him and Elisha by them selves while they were surrounded. The difference was that Elisha wasn't scared at all and his sevant was scared out of his mind. It takes faith, prayer, and trust.

1Jn 4:4 Children, you belong to God, and you have defeated these enemies. God's Spirit is in you and is more powerful than the one that is in the world.

This can streangthen us in our battle because we know that God is watching over us.

2Ki 6:13 "Find out where he is!" the king ordered. "I'll send soldiers to bring him here." They learned that Elisha was in the town of Dothan and reported it to the king.

2Ki 6:14 He ordered his best troops to go there with horses and chariots. They marched out during the night and surrounded the town.

2Ki 6:15 When Elisha's servant got up the next morning, he saw that Syrian troops had the town surrounded. "Sir, what are we going to do?" he asked.

2Ki 6:16 "Don't be afraid," Elisha answered. "There are more troops on our side than on theirs."

2Ki 6:17 Then he prayed, "LORD, please help him to see." And the LORD let the servant see that the hill was covered with fiery horses and flaming chariots all around Elisha.

Elisha's sevant was afriad because it was just him and Elisha by them selves while they were surrounded. The difference was that Elisha wasn't scared at all and his sevant was scared out of his mind. It takes faith, prayer, and trust.

1Jn 4:4 Children, you belong to God, and you have defeated these enemies. God's Spirit is in you and is more powerful than the one that is in the world.

This can streangthen us in our battle because we know that God is watching over us.

2Ki 6:13 And he said, "Go and see where he is, that I may send and seize him." It was told him, "Behold, he is in Dothan."

2Ki 6:14 So he sent there horses and chariots and a great army, and they came by night and surrounded the city.

2Ki 6:15 When the servant of the man of God rose early in the morning and went out, behold, an army with horses and chariots was all around the city. And the servant said, "Alas, my master! What shall we do?"

2Ki 6:16 He said, "Do not be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them."

2Ki 6:17 Then Elisha prayed and said, "O LORD, please open his eyes that he may see." So the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

Elisha's servant does not understand that they have the LORD fighting for them. Elisha has his the Spirit of the Lord guiding him. His eyes are opened to the Spiritual things of the World. The servant is worldly and understand only what he can see. We must have faith and trust in the Lord of our eyes to be opened. We also must have knowledge of who the Lord is and what He desires of us. We must have a hunger for Him.

1Jn 4:4 Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

Once we understand that we are God's and that He has sent to us the Holy Spirit to live within us and guide us and teach us and protect us...and we understand fully who the person the Holy Spirit is...then we have the knowledge that within us is someone who is stronger and powerful beyond our understanding. God is within us...with Him who can hurt us.