JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Elisha and the Chariots

Pastor Ralph

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he saw the enemy and the forces behind him; he was afraid of what he saw in the natural. The sight of the king’s forces against what he thought was just he and Elisa made him afraid. He also couldn’t see into the spiritual realm until after Elisha prayed and asked God to open his eyes. Elisa believed God would protect them; he knew that God would fight and he didn’t have too. Many of us are just like both of them today and it sometimes takes God to open our spiritual eyes and show us things in the spiritual realm before we can believe. Knowing that 1) I am a child of God, 2) His Spirit lives in me and He’s greater than anything in the world, and 3) Jesus’ victory over Satan is a reminder that I have nothing to fear. God fights for me just like He did Joshua and Elisha. Though I have to deal with spiritual warfare, the battle is not mine, and it has already been won.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid? What was the difference between Elisha and his servant? What does it take for our eyes to be opened? How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?

He can only see the huge army against them. Elisha's eyes were open and he could see God's army and knew his might. The only thing that will open our eyes is to

ask our Saviour for this.1 John 4:4 says to be not afraid for God is greater than anything on this earth all we need to do is trust.

• 4 months later...

Elisha's servant was afraid because of the huge army that was waging war against them. The difference between he and Elisha was that God had opened Elisha's eyes supernaturally to see all the spiritual heavenly host that surrounded them.. God must supernaturally open our eyes in some way, for us to see what He wants us to see that He is doing for us.

Knowing that the One who is in us as believers, God almighty Himself, is more powerful than any enemy in our world, seen or unseen, should deliver us from all fear of ever doing anything we feel God may be calling us to do. It enables us to step out courageously in any situation we are faced with. It should enable, empower, encourage me to pray that whatever God wills, I will do it and ask Him to lead me into HIs battles for me. Then I know that I will be victorious in all circumstances. I am so weak that I need to fear doing anything apart from surrender to my Lord and that type of praying.

• 3 months later...

Elisha's Servant only looked at what was before him, the vast army of King Aram the multitude of horses, chariots and men preparing to engage the city what seem to him to be a hopeless cause much in comen with how we see our problems/troubles and circumstances in our life times today. we get struck with fear, paralized for a lack of trust, faith and spirit. the differance was that Elisha knew that his God was a mighty warrior commander of the host, mighty in battle in short he walked by faith and walked with his God not by sight. Fear is a very strong weapon that the enemy use's in contending with christian and men a like only to stress, strike fear, and throw off balance. It take's prayer to open closed eyes and a warfare faith to overcome our fears stand asured that He that is with us is greater than he that is in this world.Walk with God.

Elisha's Servant only looked at what was before him, the vast army of King Aram the multitude of horses, chariots and men preparing to engage the city what seem to him to be a hopeless cause much in comen with how we see our problems/troubles and circumstances in our life times today. we get struck with fear, paralized for a lack of trust, faith and spirit. the differance was that Elisha knew that his God was a mighty warrior commander of the host, mighty in battle in short he walked by faith and walked with his God not by sight. Fear is a very strong weapon that the enemy use's in contending with christian and men a like only to stress, strike fear, and throw off balance. It take's prayer to open closed eyes and a warfare faith to overcome our fears stand asured that He that is with us is greater than he that is in this world.Walk with God.

Elisha's servant could only see what was before him, the vast army of the king (Aram) the multitude of horse men, chariots and men ready to engage and charge the city, what must have seemed to his servant to be a hopeless cause. much in commen with how many see their problems/troubles and circumstances in life times today we get struck by fear even paralized for a lack of trust, faith and spirit. the differance was that Elisha knew that his God was a mighty warrior commander of the all the host in heaven mighty in battle in short he walked with God not by sight because fear is a very strong weapon that the enemy uses in contending with christians and men alike only to stress, strike fear, and throw off balance. It take prayer and communion to open closed eyes and warfare faith to over come our fears stand asured that He that is with us is greater/stronger than he that is in this world. walk with God and in His Spirit. Love conquers fear walk in it.

• 1 month later...

The servant saw the armies of the enemy surrounding them, and was afraid. The difference between him and Elisha, is that Elisha could see the next dimension, and knew the size of God's army. We also need for God to open our eyes to truth. Studying lessons like this helps me to know truth. I am strengthened in my spiritual battle as I gain greater awareness of God's character and Presence with me.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid? What was the difference between Elisha and his servant? Because he could not see with his natural eyes.

What does it take for our eyes to be opened?  God has to open our eyes.

How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?         It  helps  me to know the the  Greater One is on the inside of me and that He will go with me into battle. He is my confidence. 

• 4 weeks later...

Elisha's servant was so afraid because his lack of faith caused him to be blinded of the things of God. He couldn't see that God was there with His mighty army to fight their battle for them. Elisha's faith in God allowed him to see the chariots of fire and the hill filled with horses.  Sometimes it takes a great deal for our eyes to be opened. But all it really takes is a step of faith and then BOOM your eyes are opened to the splendor of our God.  Our spiritual battle has already been fought and WON!  When Christ died on the cross he defeated Satan! I should remember this when hard times come my way.  I am more than a conqueror in Christ which mean not only do I get to defeat Satan, I get to take back everything he has taken from me! How AWESOME is that?! 

• 1 month later...

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid? What was the difference between Elisha and his servant?

Elisha's servant was seeing only with worldly eyes. That's why he was afraid when he saw the enemy army. Elisha had unshakable faith in God's ability to save His people and could see the army of God, the invisible angelic army, ready to conquer.

What does it take for our eyes to be opened?

Faith in God that He will save us just as He saved people in Biblical times. We need to really be in tune with God's will and purpose for our eyes to see Him at work. Most of the time I dare say God is wanting to work in us but we aren't surrendered to Him sufficiently. We aren't willing to let Him do His will in us.

How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?

If I keep always in mind that the Spirit in me, the Holy Spirit, is greater than the spirit that is in the world, the evil one, I can overcome in Christ.

• 6 months later...

Why was Elisha's servant afraid?

Elisha's servant was afraid because the army of the king of Aram had surrounded the city of Dothan where they were and he could not see any opposing army.

What was the difference between Elisha and his servant?

Elisha was able to see the spiritual world, the army of the Lord, the massive host of heaven which was protecting them from the threat.

It takes spiritual sensitivity in prayers to the Lord for ours eyes to be opened to the spiritual surroundings of our environment.

The verse strengthens me by giving me assurance that

(a) I am of the Father in heaven

(B) God see's me as His precious child

© I am given assurance that I have already overcome the challenge

(d) The God that I serve is greater that any opposition I will ever face in this world

• 11 months later...

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid? What was the difference between Elisha and his servant? What does it take for our eyes to be opened? How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?

The servant saw with fleshly natural eyes that which is carnal, right before him, that which he can hear, see and touch - just like we very often do !    Elisha looked from a Spirit filled heart of faith on The One with whom he has a personal relationship.

Knowing Gods Word, having a relationship with Him, believing, trusting relying on Him !  Having learnt of His Greatness, Power and Might, knowing that Holy Spirit lives within me, therefore He that is in me is Greater than whatever is in the world!  The battle is a spirit one, not fleshly!   So we can take courage and our faith strengthened in the knowledge that El Shaddai,  Yahweh-Sabaoth, The Almighty God, Lord of host is victorious!  He has already defeated the enemy!   Therefore we are victorious with Him!

• 3 weeks later...

Elisha's servant was afraid because the city was surrounded and it appeared they were outnumbered by an army with horses and chariots.he became anxious and his thinking was blinkered.

The difference between Elisha and his servant was that Elisha trusted in God and the servant's faith was minimal.

For our eyes to be opened we need to put all our faith and trust in G-D.We need to have a personal relationship on our Creator.

The 1John 4:4 strengthens me because it says if I am of God ,then he is in me. He gives me power to overcome evil. For the spirit of God is greater than the spirit of the antichrist.

• 1 year later...

Names of God. Lesson 2, 2 Kings 6:13-17

Q2 Why was Elisha's servant afraid?

When he went out he saw the city was surrounded by a huge army of chariots and horses, and felt they would be killed.

What was the difference between Elisha and his servant?

Elisha saw the army through spiritual eyes by faith in God, and according to the Lord's purpose.

Elisha's prayer to open the servant's eyes, enabled him to "see" the mountain filled with horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. Prayer and the Holy Spirit are available to open our eyes to God's truth and promises, no matter our circumstances. Elisha had a personal relationship with the Lord. The servant saw God "second hand" through Elijah.

His promise is to me...that He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world. Satan's roar is loud and can be frightening. I can call upon the Lord to fight and win the battle! Even if afraid, the Lord's angels surround me whether I see them or not. He is Sovereign and in control of everything, and only those things which have passed through His approval may touch me.

• 1 year later...

Elisha's servant was afraid because he did not worship or know the God that Elisha served. The servant did not understand the faith or perhaps did not believe in the faith of Elisha or maybe he had never witness the God of Elisha for himself.  This was a servant of man but Elisha was a servant of God.  Elisha needed to show his servant the God he served so that he would witness for himself the true and living God, and therefore believe in him also.  The difference between Elisha and his servant is the belief and faith in God.  For our eyes to be opened we must believe and trust in God in all things.  We must accept him and live our lives according to his purpose. We are children of God and he dwells and lives in us.  We are his and he is greater than anything the world has to offer.  1 John 4: 4 assures and strengthens us that He will take care of His own and we do not have to fear for anything or want for anything as long as we are doing his will he provides for us and fights our battles.  We only have to trust and obey and believe and walk in his word.

• 5 months later...

Elisha's  servant was afraid because of the enemy's army that surrounded them. The difference between Elisha and his servant is that Elisha, rooted and grounded in his relationship with God, understood that there was an invisible army there to help them. For our eyes to be opened, it takes an intimate knowledge of the God we proclaim to serve. It means we are ready to pursue Hs agenda rather than our own. This scripture strengthens me in the knowledge that He is with me and He is greater than any force the comes against me. He is the overcoming power within me.

• 1 month later...

Elisha's servant saw the problem when he got up in the morning and knew that they were surrounded by the Syrian army. This servant has to be at least given the credit of being observant enough to see the enemy, whereas many of us are not even aware of the reality of the enemy around us. But he lacked faith and was short sighted in the sense that he could not see beyond the physical realm. 

But Elisha not only saw the problem, but he saw the solution to the problem too. For he knew that the Syrian army that surrounded him was surrounded by the heavenly host of angels and chariots of fire that were much more powerful than the earthly army. In Ephesians 1:18 Paul prays that the eyes of our understanding be enlightened... and that we may know the exceeding greatness of His power that is working towards us who believe.

I believe there should be relationship with the Lord which will result in our spiritual eyes to be opened. Then as we grow in that relationship, the Lord will cause us to see more and more clearly. But how I pray that I may continually remember that the One who is the answer to all my problems, is with me, and He will never leave me and forsake me, He will cause all things to work together for good for me, because I love Him and I am called according to His purposes. May the Lord cause us to be the ones whose eyes are open to see the reality of the spiritual promises and experience the presence of the Lord. 

The Mighty Man of war who is able to dispel all darkness and be the Protector and Comforter of my life dwells in me. If God is for me, then who can be against me? The promises of God stands and no weapon that is fashioned against me will ever prosper, no foe will ever have a chance to stand against me, because my Warrior King is my defender. Greater is the one who is in me, than the one who is in the world. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2006 at 5:42 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Elisha's servant was afraid because his eyes were not opened to see that God's army is far greater than any army on Earth could ever be. All he could see was the worldly army that was gathered around them and he feared them, without first thinking of God Who could easily save them. He only focused on the number of horses and chariots and the army that belonged to the king of Aram.

The difference between Elisha and his servant is that Elisha did not panic because He knew God would fight for them and his eyes were opened to see the armies of God around them, rallied together and ready to fight for them.

It takes complete faith in God and a personal relationship with Him for our eyes to be opened. Elisha could see the army of God because he was completely devoted to God and had a strong relationship with him. However, he had to pray to God to open his servant's eyes because the servant did not have the same relationship with God.

1 John 4:4 says " Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world." This verse tells us that God is mightier than the world and we are His children. He has helped us overcome the world and its evils, so we have nothing to fear.

• 11 months later...

Elisha's servant was terrified because he could only see the opposing army that surrounded them. He did not remember that God had His own army of angels protecting them. He though that they were doomed. 

The difference was that Elisha had more faith in God and He could see through his eyes of faith that God was protecting them. The servant was forgetting that and only thinking on what he could see with his physical eyes, Elisha had more faith than his servant did and knew God would come to their aid.

I believe it takes God speaking to us through His word or others in our lives before we see Him working sometimes. Because we focus too much on our circumstances and not on God.

It can remind me that God is in control and that through Him I am an overcomer and He is greater than the devil who rules the world.

• 1 month later...

Elisha's servant was afraid because in his humanity he could not see himself and his master - just two of them - being able to fight their way past the Syrian army.  To his way of thinking they were in quite a predicament with no one to help and so fear gripped him.

The difference between Elisha and his servant was that Elisha's natural and spiritual eyes were opened.  He looked at the situation through a totally different pair of eyes than his servant.  The servant looked and saw through his natural eyes,  his spiritual eyes being closed until Elisha asked God to open them.   The sight of the natural eyes is very limited when it comes to the things of God.  By looking with his natural eyes he only saw the enemy, he only saw what was against them, he only saw defeat and destruction and death.  His master on the other hand looked at the situation from a spiritual vantage point and so was able to see both naturally and spiritually.  Elisha saw the Syrian army, but better than that, he saw the Heavenly Army whose Commander-in-Chief is Jehovah Gibbor Himself.

For our eyes to be opened I think it takes having a very special and serious relationship with our Abba Father.  It is imperative that we spend quality time in His presence in prayer, in reading and studying His Word.  In being obedient to His commands and submitting to His will and His way, allowing His Holy Spirit to lead us in all of our ways. 

In my spiritual battles 1 John 4: 4 strengthens me by reminding me that being a child of God I do not have to fight on my own.  I can  fight from within, leaning fully on Him who is in me, knowing for sure that I am fighting from a place of victory (Col. 2: 15), for all my battles have already been won by Him who died for me. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2006 at 8:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid? What was the difference between Elisha and his servant?  Elisha's servant could not see what his Master could. His eyes could only see what was in front of him, which was the massive army of King of Aram there to capture Elisha. The significance here is that Elisha had enough faith in his Lord God to see him through the battle. He knew that God of Israel had many more warriors in His arsenal, than the enemy of Aram. Elisha knew by faith that God's army was greater than that of man. 

What does it take for our eyes to be opened? How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle? I think it always goes back to having faith in God, and in His might. As man, I think we tend to judge by the flesh and our ability to bring death to the other side for which we measure our own power. But we have to realize that no matter how many enemies we kill, we are also subject to death which makes us infinitely weaker than God's army. So as 1John 4:4 says, "one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."  If God's spirit is fighting for you, no enemy can conquer you.

• 3 months later...

Elisha 's servant was afraid because he could not see spiritual things around him.  His spiritual eyes were not open.  The difference between the two is that Elisha's spiritual eyes were opened unlike his servant. It takes walking with the God and the Holy Spirit for our eyes to be opened. We are encouraged that greater is He that is in us than in the world. 

• 2 months later...

Elisha's servant needed a spiritual eye adjustment.  We can ask God to show us  all the fresh work of God's spirit in the now. The things that hinder our lives that have caused grief can now become our subject.

Elisha had faith in God.  His spiritual consciousness was much higher than that of his servant.   All visible things are thus like their invisible counterparts (Romans 1:20; Colossians 1:15-18).

Foremost we must be diligent Bible students to try the spirits and discern the spirit of error.

By the grace of God, we can have the perfect peace of God because our minds are stayed on God (Isaiah 26:3).   We have the third person of the Holy Trinity to be our dearest Advocate and Comforter in times of trials (1 John 4:13; 3:24).