JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Name Yahweh

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

Yahweh the name above every name, All poweful, mighty God, Life for all times, never ending, always the same, Alive for ever more. in contrast to the idols the Egyptians worshipped, they were dead as door nails and could not offer them eternal life could not offer them anything real and lasting the only thing they could offer was death and hell with out the living God.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power?

The name Yahweh says that God's is eternal, that He always was and always will be. As Yahweh His power transcends all other power.

How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

When one understands that Yahweh's existence is eternal in contrast with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians. They had a beginning and they ended when replaced by other created idols. Yahweh is exalted as the only eternal God not made with the hands of man.

• 1 month later...

Revelation 22:13 and Isaiah 44:6 refer to God as being the first and the last. I take this to mean that God was there before everything or anyone else. His power is everlasting. He is a Mighty God. Nothing or no one will ever take that from Him. He can not be defeated. An interesting note is that God knew that Moses would stop and investigate why a burning bush was not consumed. If God did this to for Moses, He will do this for everybody so that we may get to know him. Each person has a

• 3 months later...
Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshiped by the Egyptians?

Yahweh, I AM That I Am, Who IS and Who WAS, and Who Is To Come: What else can be said?

I looked up the idols of ancient Egypt, in connection with the plagues GOD sent. The Egyptians worshiped the forces of nature and considered the Pharoah as god. Yahweh gave the best contrast between HIM and the idols - through the plagues HE sent Egypt:

Nile River - source of life to the Egyptians - Plague #1 - turned to blood

Sun god - Plague #9 - darkness

Earth and sky gods -protectors of crops - Plague #7 fire and hail; plague #8 locust

Pharoah- divine - Plague #3 - gnats, plague #4 flies; plague #6 boils; plague 10 - firstborn

Frog god - defender of home - Plague 2 - frogs

Livestock - certain sacred animals - Plague 5 - disease

Sekhmet - god of healing - Plague 6 boils

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

Yahweh means "I am that I am". God is. That's all there is to it. He is not "I was as I was" nor is He "I will be as I will be". It is hard for us as finite humans to comprehend that God is, in that He always has been and always will be. Although the always will be is a much easier term for us to accept. It is hard to understand that God had no beginning. God's power, as He is, endless--it too had no beginning nor an ending--His power has always been.

The Egyptian idols came and went. They could and would create another god anytime it suited them. Their gods all had beginnings and endings. Yahweh is much greater than this.

• 2 months later...

The name Yahweh , reveals God as the self-existent, eternal God. In considering why God chose to reveal these characteristics of Himself at this time, I think it's important to consider some details regarding the Egyptian gods. I briefly looked at <http://www.touregypt.net/godsofegypt/index.htm>. The first thing you notice as you look at the Egyptian gods, is that there is a quite substantial number of them. Secondly, (and I am no expert on this), but as I looked through a few of the earlier gods, it seems that most were created or conceived. (Except for ones like Atum, who created himself; or Ptah, who "simply is".) So in this aspect, Yahweh makes himself equal, if not above all Egyptian gods, as far as their origin and existence are concerned.

The name Yahweh also reveals God's free will and power to determine and define Himself. As we look at the Egyptian gods, it seems that each god has a specific set of tasks that it is either given credit for doing, or assigned to perform. Moses, no doubt, being a part of the royal household, would have been well aware of the many Egyptian gods and their titles. So when he asks God what His name is, it makes sense. He was asking, What's your title that denotes your occupation? Are you an expert on crops, rain, warfare, helping us once we're dead, music, being in charge of the other gods, or what? So when God simply tells him-"I am.", he must have been puzzled and amazed at His response. A god not governed by a title, not to be known for a great things he'd done in the past? This was definately something new. Yahweh redefined what a god was. He made certain that both Israel and Egypt knew that none where or could ever be His equal.

Bottom line, the name of Yahweh takes our understanding of God to a whole new level. He says, I am faithful, yet I am unpredictable. I am determined to see you through eveything that you will ever face, yet I am not limited to anything I have ever done before. I am always there, yet I am not boxed in. I am forever the same, yet through time, you will see me more and more as you begin to understand even just the surface--just the brink of My love for you.

As we grow in the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, we begin to comprehend quite simply that we cannot comprehend Yahweh . We cannot put our finger on Him or draw a line around Him. He is greatly to be feared and to be praised.

Job 26:14 And these are but the outer fringe of His works; how faint the whisper we hear of Him! Who then can understand the thunder of His power?

Yahweh stands for "I AM WHO I AM" or even more beautiful I think "I WLL BE WHO I WILL BE".

The first thing that springs to mind when hearing the name Yahweh is "unchanging". Both "I AM WHO I AM" and "I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE" clearly show that God does not change. God's character does not change. "HE IS!"

This implies something very comforting. Something to rejoice about. It implies that God's promises do not change. "God is not a man that He should lie". What God has promised God will do. And God has promised so much!

The next thing that comes to mindis that God has always been. He has always existed. This makes him stand outside of our time and dimensions. For God there is no time. HE IS, always.

This also shows that God is so powerful. Because the fact that God has always been "I AM" means that He has made everything as well. We can read this in Genesis as well, but it is refreshing to have this come to mind from other passages of the Bible, or even from just one of the names of God.

A third thing is that the name Yahweh shows that God is eternal. He does not die, nor can He be destroyed or defeated. He is "I AM" forever.

The idols worshipped in Egypt were gods made by human hands. Made from earthly material. This indicates that these idols are not more than things made by material God created. So, taking this as it is, this means that these idols are even less than God's own creators, because they have been made by humans, who have been created by God, :-).

The Egyptian idols are totally within our time and dimensions and they can therefore easily be destroyed. The Egyptian idols are basically no more than idolized persons (Pharao) and animals (most Egyptian idols)

Yahweh is "I AM WHO I AM". He is the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob. Not impersonal, but personal. Not distant, but close. Not dead images made of earthly material, but the Living God. Not Ra, Amon, Isis, Osiris, etc. But the "I AM". No wonder the Egyptian gods did not stand a chance against Yahweh when He acted on behalf of his people in Egypt.

Praise Yahweh, the eternal, powerful, living, and personal God. Hosannah!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The name I AM is the most holy name for God. Later Jewish leaders would not even speak the name aloud. This name probably caused the Israelites to be reminded of God's absolute supremacy and their special, unique relationship with Him.

Egyptians worshiped many gods. but I AM makes the case that there is only ONE true God that is everlasting and supreme over any other gods. The God of the Israelites is able to perform miracles (witness the plagues, which were God's response to individual Egyptian deities and their supposed power) while the Egyptian gods are simply idols of no power whatsoever.

hE IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE THE aLMIGHTY rULER OF hEAVEN AND EARTH AND Has contain all power that defeats all. He has dominion over all things and The egyptians worshipped a god for each different thing. God has power over all. He is ever enduring, merciful, powerfull over all creations in heanven and on earth.

• 1 month later...

Yahweh, I AM that I AM, strongly declares God's eternal existence and presence among His people now and forever. His name is an ensign and an banner. It is the name by which we know and learn about God. Just like God did Moses, He does us:

1. Draws near to us and reveals a "burning bush" to us.

2. As we come nearer to Him and He catches our attention, He calls out to us.

3. He tells us that he sees our trouble, cries, and pains. Every aspect of our life is important to Him.

4. Therefore, He is I AM, who delivers us from our troubles, and guides us in all ways.

In understanding Yahweh's name, we powerfully learn the Lord God is the one true, permanent God. And, the Egyptian idols are just inventions of people, physical, dead, nothing, less than man.

• 2 months later...

As we will find in the New Testament "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and tomorrow", God is God from eternity past and never will change. He knows the end from the beginning and is holy. Idols are transient and will change and are not all powerful. Even the name I AM causes man to bow the knee to the Eternal God.

• 2 months later...

The name Yahweh reveals to us the eternal nature and existence of God. The name reveals God's power over death or non-existence.

The idols worshipped by the Egyptians were created by human-beings or by Satan -- a product of God's creation.

• 1 month later...

His name reveals that He is not only eternal but also current, pertinent and interested in what is happening in the lives of His children. It is the name He gave Himself, whereas the idols of the Egyptians were given names by those who created them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It reveals the Eternal God, Who has no beginning or ending but Who is Himself the Beginning and the Ending. It God the Supreme Being Who is above everything dead or alive, the Father of all of us. El Shaddai, Almighty God. To the Israelites knowing God would put them into a platform that would enable them to understand Him, be able to communicate with Him, fellowship with Him and also have an everlasting, intimate relationship with Him. On the other hand the idols they were living among them in Egypt are just but lifeless man-made object worthy of being trappled on.

• 4 weeks later...

Yahweh reveals God's eternal nature, that there was never a moment in time where He did not exist. Since He was eternal and everlasting, He could not die or fade away, so that He will always be with His people and His children.

All the gods had some sort of beginning or existence that wasn't everlasting. In most cultures, they believed that even the gods would have an end. But Yahweh made it clear that he would never end, that all hings would pass away, but the Word of God would remain.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power?

He is the Eternal/Everlasting God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the Covenant God.

He is the great I AM, Who Is, the One Who Will Alway Be.

He is the Lord God of Israel, Who is, was, and is to come, the Almighty,

powerful God, the Self Existent One, Who will continue to be present with His covenant people, Israel.

How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

The Egyptians had gods for everything they could think of. Their gods were powerless,

were made with mans hands, imaginary, could not speak. :(

• 1 month later...

That He exits, that he is was and who is the self existant eternal one, and this is His name forever, unto all generations. The almighty, the Father of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, their forefathers.

The Egytians, had many gods, of the beasts and bugs, but Isreal has only 1 and he was not of an earthly form.

(1) God's name Yahweh says He is an everlasting God. One that will not forsake his people. He is the great, mighty, and powerful one. (2) Our God is a living God. One that wants to talk and have fellowship with us. The Egyptian idols was nothing but wood and stone.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the word of God. It never changes, but grows in meaning each time it is read. Yahweh revealed himself to Moses in the burning bush. We need not fear that God will change or cease to exist. He assured Moses that He was the only, the eternal, living God.

Reva

God's name Yahweh reveals that He is self-existent, that He always was, and always will be. In a way, God is eternity, which makes Him all powerful and omniscient. This understanding of his name contrasts with the Egyptian idols because idols can be destroyed, and were originally made by human hands, while God is above this.

It reveals that He's God, the Lord, all powerful, Creator, Eternal and personal. (I'm the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and God of Jacob.) I AM: Self existent..He has always been...no one created Him...rather He created all that exists and He holds all of creation together. He will always exist...no beginning and no end "This is My Name forever"

He's alive and hears the cries of His people. He knows the future, as He tells Moses what the future holds. In v.8 He tells Moses "I have come down to deliver My people out of the power of the Egyptians, and to bring them into a good land"....He's a shepherd over His people.

The gods the Egyptians worshipped were carved or fomed by their own hands...their power was imaginary or given to them by Satan, if they seemed to have power. They could be smashed or broken or tipped over...The Egyptian's seemed to know they'd been created, but not by Whom, so they filled in the blanks from their own imagination and made their own gods.

He is the I AM the EVERLASTING ONE. The same yesterday, today and forever. All powerful. Self existing . Idols created by man have no eternal power or existence. They last as long as man keeps them in their midst.

His name: YHWH reveals about His person that He will eternally be with us/them...from this day forth (actually that He has always been with them). It reveals God's commitment to His people, His "loyalty"(weak word for God), His plan to be with them in the future.

It reveals that His power is over all since He is eternal and self-existent, and since He is Creator.

The idols of the Egyptians are described by the Lord through the prophets, particularly Isaish, as dead, cannot help man, cannot do anything but sit there.