JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Name Yahweh

God’s name Yahweh reveals: His eternity, that He is the Great I AM, the One is Is; Was, and Will Always Be. It speaks of HIS presence and accessibility to His people. He has not forgotten His covenant with their fathers and with His strong Mighty Hand; He is powerful enough to bring them out of the grips of Pharaoh.

In contrast with the Egyptian idols, Yahweh is alive; He is real, not made with human hands of gold or silver. Yahweh doesn’t need to be carried from place to place. He can speak and hears His people when they cry out to Him. Yahweh’s counsel stands and His purposes will be accomplished (Isa 46:6-10). Egyptian idols couldn’t declare things to come; they couldn’t see, nor did they know anything (Isa 44:6-20). Yahweh is Independent, Self-Existent of all, and will take care of and be with His people. The Egyptian idols couldn’t do anything for anybody nor did they have any meaning.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

Yahweh reveals that he was there in the beginning before anything was here and he created earth for his own creations to give praise back to him. He has all power and is able to come to us in any form which he chooses be it a burning bush that never burns up.

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

Yahweh reveals that he was there in the beginning before anything was here and he created earth for his own creations to give praise back to him. He has all power and is able to come to us in any form which he chooses be it a burning bush that never burns up.

• 3 months later...

God is letting Moses know that of all things He is the impossible beyond man's conception, a God of all eternity. He has always been, there was never a time when He came into being, and He will always and forever be who He is without change. What a awesome truth. One can only ever believe this by the faith that God gives because the human mind cannot conceive of eternality or understand it at all. Nothing man has ever known has been eternal.

Gods were understood and beieved to be what they were by their names. No idol could ever have been honestly called eternal with any kind of believability because never would man have thought that something could exist forever. Man would never make up a name like Yahweh for a god. So they have to know just by the Name that this God is the King of all Gods and even truly alive unlike any god that could be made by a man out of a piece of wood. Praise His Holy Name. This is God HImself our personal, loving, all powerful God, worthy of all worship and praise and beyond our human conception.

• 1 year later...

Yahweh reveals that God is the One who is, the One who will always be. The idols worshiped by the Egyptians were not everlasting. They had not always existed.  

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power?

"I AM WHO I AM" or "I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE" is a statement of power. God is telling Moses something new about Himself. Prior to this encounter God was already known as Almighty God, the Highest of the High. The statement: "I am who I am" indicates that God is whatever He chooses to be. It also indicates His eternal nature. We could also take this name to convey the idea that God is the "One who has been who He has been" . . . eternally God, eternally supreme. The continuous tense conveys this.

God, by being the One who made everything is un-nameable. He is so beyond our understanding that our minds can't grasp His greatness. To give His Name as "I am who I am", God is showing Moses a more complete picture of His totality. This is really heavy theology here.

How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

The idols represented the gods of the Egyptian pantheon. Now, these "gods" weren't without power. When Moses performed his miracles before Pharoah, the Egyptian magicians duplicated some of them by means of their magic. Satan had sway in Egypt and was powering the magicians. But when the real crunch came their magic was nowhere near powerful enough to counter Moses' God-given power. I reckon the Israelites were under more than mere human oppression in Egypt. The devil was having his way with them and keeping them oppressed, knowing that one day God would release them and demonstrate His superiority.

By sending Moses back to the Israelites with the knowledge of His newly revealed Name, God was preparing Israel to accept and believe in Him as their God, their Deliverer, their Hope and their Rock. No Israelite living in Egypt at that time had seen a miracle. They possibly had seen dark magic performed by the Egyptian magicians and used against them, but now they were being given an understanding of just Who was going to set them free and take them home. The One with the Name above all names!

• 1 year later...

Our God is an everlasting God a powerful and loving God also a living God , while other God are not living nor do they have power to create life or take it away.

• 2 months later...

Yahweh is Self-Existent;   He has no beginning and no end;   He is past, present & future;   He will continue to be;    He is Creator,  Mighty, Powerful;   He is a Covenant God Who fulfills His promises;  He is ever present with His people!   He is involved in His peoples lives and demonstrates that involvement !

Idols are handmade from stone or wood or other materials,  they are breakable, dead symbols /figures /statues that are blind, deaf, speechless and powerless !

What a Mighty Loving God we serve !!

• 4 weeks later...

The name Yahweh reveals that it stands for the almighty all powerful person.It means I am that I am.No other gods could attribute this meaning or title,only the Creator.He is not an idol that is made of stone and wood, but an all seeing supernatural being.He is the past,present and the future. The Aleph and the Tav.

The idol gods worshipped by the Egyptians were made of inanimate stone and wood.they were not endowed with a spirit.They were carved by man.

• 1 year later...

only  Names of God, Lesson 3. Exodus 3:1-15.

Q1: What does God's name Yahweh reveal about His person and His power?

It reveals that even the ground near Him was Holy, as He is Holy (v5). He has always existed: I AM the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.  And I have surely seen the affliction of your people...400 years they'd been enslaved. (v6 & 7). He is all powerful, and reigns over everything and over all kings, pharaoh's and nations (v8) He is a deliverer of the afflicted and true to His Word, Active and faithful. (v8). He's a God of compassion. He heard the cries of the enslaved (v9). He works through people and empowers them (v10 & 12) He is Self-Existent and eternal ...I AM WHO I AM AND WHAT I AM AND WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE. (v14) Yahweh is My Name forever and to be remembered to all generations.(He names Himself) (v15)

How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast Him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

In every way He contrasts with the Egyptian idols: They are dreamed up and created by men to try to meet their needs and hopes, while God has always been and is self existent and created all things, including the stone and wood their idols were carved from and the carvers themselves. Their idols were useless stone or wood...God is Spirit,  invisible unless He reveals Himself, and is all powerful. Their idols were the result of demonic presence and godlessness among them only able to perform a few copies of the first plagues Moses' rod performed which only added to their misery, while God is mighty and all powerful (Ps 119:91 All things serve God...even the entire universe serves His purposes. (that includes Satan, fallen angels and demons) Their idols were not living therefore had no personality or emotions, while God is filled with compassion and fully aware of suffering. They made up the "powers" they wanted their idols to possess, while God is omnipotent in power and needs nothing. They sacrificed to their idols, and in some cases, their babies to placate the angry, indifferent idols they'd carved. While to God those sacrifices were blasphemous and useless and evil. They were absolutely mute and unproductive, while God is alive and faithful! Their idols had a "shelf life" until they got chipped, or marred or broken...while God is eternal and has no end.

How blessed we are to be His children, chosen by Him, saved by Him, delivered from the kingdom of darkness, and now we will have no end and will live with Him forever!!!!

• 1 year later...

God's name Yahweh means Lord.  He is the God of Abraham  Jacob and Isaac.  He is the only God, the beginning and the ending, the first and the last, the which is , the which was, the which is to come.  the Almighty, the King forever.  besides him there is no other.  Egyptians idols are not living Gods, they have no power and no spirit.  Yahweh is the only true living God.  He is.  Don't even have to have a name!  He IS,   the Great I Am  Egyptian gods are made my mans hand.   Yahweh is the beginning of all things.  before anything  He WAS!!!  He IS!!! Egyptian gods have names given by man....Yahweh revealed himself as the Almighty, Everlasting, King and God forever.  There is no god  but Him.   "I AM"  he told Moses to tell them when that asked who sent him, tell them "I AM" sent you, that's all they need to know, there is no other!!

• 6 months later...

God’s name revealed to Moses in Exodus is I AM THAT I AM, which in Hebrew is made up of the four Hebrew consonants which in English would stand for YHWH or YHVH and is called the Tetragrammaton. This is God’s covenant name revealed throughout the scriptures. It means Self existing One or Eternal One, the One who had no beginning or no end. The self-existing One created all things and being the Creator it expresses His power and ingenuity to create and sustain all things that He created. The Paleo Hebrew for these consonants were expressed in pictures. Y would be in the picture of a hand, H would stand for to see or behold, W or V stands for nail. So just reading the meaning of these consonants, it would stand for “Behold the hand, Behold the nail”. It is as though even His name expressed as YHWH shows how He would covenant with His people through the cross. And this is so personal to each and every individual who has experienced the covenant with the Almighty through our Lord Jesus Christ.

In contrast, the gods of the Egyptians were man made, and had no existence apart from the imagination in the minds of the Egyptians.  

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2006 at 5:46 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

God's name is I AM THAT I AM ("the Self-Existent One")/I AM WHO I AM ("He who will continue to be"). His name means He is the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He is the Past, the Present, and the Future. No other god can claim to be this as He is the one true God. God is eternal and His name attests to that.

The idols worshipped by the Egyptians were false gods and were made of earth by men. Therefore, they had no power of themselves and are inanimate. 

• 11 months later...

Yahweh reveals that He has always been, always was and always will be around. That He was Here before man was created and that He is the same God who their fathers knew. That He is still there for them and will bring them out if they trust in Him.

There is no other god like Yahweh who can deliver His people. For all the other gods have no power to save their followers. They do not hear or answer prayers like He does. 

• 1 month later...

God's name 'Yahweh' reveals His Self-existence, His Self-sufficiency. In His name 'Yahweh', God reveals that He was not created, nor was there any before Him. For He was, and is and always will be.  There was none like Him, is none like Him, and never will be any like Him. He is the eternal, all powerful God.

An understanding of Yahweh's name would greatly contrast Him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians in that His name (Yahweh) reveals His relationship with man.   Genesis 2 and 3 tell of Yahweh-Elohim the creator of everything and the redeemer of mankind.  Yahweh is all-sufficient for those who belong to Him. He is our Mighty Deliverer, Mighty Warrior, Great Provider, our Healer, our Peace,  our everything. 

The idols worshipped by the Egyptians were made by man, (man who was made by Yahweh), had no life, could do nothing by itself for itself.  The owners of idols were the ones who protected their gods (idols) instead of their gods (idols) protecting or providing for them.  A story I find very amusing in the Bible is in Genesis 31 where Rachel stole her father's household gods.  The poor gods couldn't do a thing to prevent themselves from being stolen.  All idols are the same.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2006 at 8:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? I think God wants to be known as the God of His people. That's why He is always referring to Himself as Your LORD, Your God. He also tells Moses to tell the Israelites that He is the God of Abraham, God of Jacob, God of Issac which also shows Himself to be a humble God. He is the Great I am, the One Who is, and will Always Be-- with His chosen people.

How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians? God of Israel clearly defines Himself as God all All-- He is the Creator of the Universe so all in it are His dominion. In contrast, Egyptian Gods were false Gods created by man, and each had dominions over separate things-- Earth, Sun, Sky etc. 

• 6 months later...

Yahweh is the instinctive name of Deity.  Here in Exodus 3:13-17, we have the first distinct revelation of Himself by His name of Yahweh which was in connection with the redemption of the covenant people out of Egypt. Yahweh is the self existent One who reveals Himself.

Idols of Egypt were inbued by immoral relations such as brother-sister marriages and condoning of immoral behaviour.  The ten plagues of Egypt showed how impotent these idols were.

• 1 year later...
  • Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. The Name Yahweh
  • 3 months later...

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power?
Yahweh reveals that He Is The Beginning and The End, The Alfa and Omega. The Great I AM. All powerful God.

How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

Yahwehs name was set apart a name that is like no other. Moses wanted to know who he was to say he was so that the Israelites would know that it’s the God they worshipped. The God of their father Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The Israelites would know that the name of their God would be different than the god the Egyptians worshiped.

• 3 months later...
On 2/14/2006 at 8:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yahweh (Jehovah, in English) is believed to mean "I will PROVE to be".

It's left out (7,000 times) by most translations, and it is not in Koine Greek.

It is the name of Jesus' God.