JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Name Yahweh

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

Yahweh states that GOD always was, is, and will be, there is none before HIM. Yahweh states that GOD is all powerfull nothing is done outside of Him knowing and / or allowing it to happen,

The contrast between Yahweh and the egyptian idols is that GOD is the one true living loving faithfull GOD and the idols are dead or made of stone, they were created by the worshiper and not by the GOD of all creation.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power?

I am a little confused, but if i am just referring to the name of Yahweh, then that simply means Lord. Lord is a name that indicates absolute authority; that He is master and above all. There is no power above Him.

How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

I don't know anything about the Egyptian idols, but I would imagine they were specific to a certain area; such as the god of the sun or something. Yahweh, however, is Lord over all. He is not the Lord of the Sun, He is simply The Lord, period. It would put Him, Yahweh, above them all or better put, they would all be beneath Him. No god would be greater.

• 3 weeks later...
Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

The Name that God revel to Moses first speaks on the eternity of God, it says that before the beginning , God is and after the end, God is.

This is contrast to idol worshiping which were made of wood would decay after a given time and could not be eternal or have any power

• 2 weeks later...

The name Yahweh refers to God's omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence. The idols are lifeless, Yahweh is eternal Life Himself

• 3 months later...

Yahweh reveals that Gos has always existed and will continue to exist; nobody created Him or helped in His existence. This means that He is self existent, self sufficient, almighty and omnipotent.

The gods of the Egyptians were man made, and were not able to speak, or interact with their surroundings.

• 2 weeks later...

The name Yahweh reveal that God has always existed, and will always exist. He is a living God who interacts with His people and who is revealed in His actions.He was not made by hands like the gods of the Egyptian, who are dead and have no life in them. His self existence also reveals His power.

• 3 months later...

What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

Many times, parents eagerly look up names for their children, hoping to pick just the right one for their precious blessing to grow into. Names that reflect character, sensitivity, or sometimes as a namesake for a special relative or friend. The Egyptians placed importance on names, too. Calling their gods to indicate power, authority, ownership of things. God gave the name of Yahweh to the Israelites to communicate to them along these lines. The name describes that God is always and He can't ever not live up to His name.

• 1 month later...

That name is a non-existing grammatical form of the radix jod-hee-jod ('to be').

It means He has always been, He is here now, He will always be - He is forever.

He is real but the Egyptian gods like Isis and Ra aren't.

We can't speak this name because it can't be spoken.

Some people make up things like Yahweh or Yehova.

I can read Hebrew and according to tradition I read 'adonaj'.

• 1 month later...

I think this indicates the personal nature of God- the relationship He wants to have with us. "I AM WHO I AM" shows the everlasting aspects of God. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. The present tense being used at any time helps indicate this. I think also that it indicates a desire to be known for who He is, not just what He has done and will do. Also maybe a comfortability with His being--instilling that confidence in us as well.

• 2 months later...

Names of God: 3. Yahweh, I AM, the Eternal God ('El 'Olam)‏

The Lord's Name, YHWH (I AM) reveals that He does exist! He is the I AM THAT I AM, more real than anything in His universe and creation. It reveals that all that is written of Him, because He is in existence and very real, is the demonstration of what He is. As we know, He is Almighty, The One True God and Father of all in creation.

In contrast to all the other idols worshipped by pagans and the heathen, throughout The Scripture of The Old and New Testament, we see that He does appear to His people and He does cause things to happen. The Holy Bible is so full of demonstrations of His Might and Power, from The Flood that wiped out all that was corrupt upon the face of the earth, to His messengers who gave prophesy to The Prophets, to His guidance and protection of His people Israel. From these demonstrations of His reality we can see that no idol ever demonstrated real power; because they are lifeless, they are created by humans, of wood and stone and have no power atall.

In Exodus we read of the battle of The Lord with the false idols of the Egyptians. Here we see that the magicians and priests of Pharaoh are no match atall for Our God. Our God could bring plagues upon His enemies. Our God can part the sea for men to cross! Though Pharaoh had a huge and well equipped army and chariots, the Israelites were able to escape and win the Lords Battle to become the nation of God in order to deliver the message of The Prophets and ultimately Gods only Son Himself, The Messiah Jesus Christ; who in turn fulfilled the Promise made by The Father in His Covenant with Abraham, that people of all nations will come to know The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15)

What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power?

How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

The name Yahweh proclaims God as self-existent, self-sufficient, eternal, and sovereign. I AM WHO I AM or I AM BECAUSE I AM or I WILL BE THAT I WILL BE.

This is in contrast to the Egyptian idols who were lifeless, temporal, and man made. Or perhaps created by our Lord, like the stars, sun or moon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

God called himself I AM, Yahweh, the LORD, names describing his eternal power and unchangeable character. We can find stability and security in our unchanging God. The God, that apperared to Moses, is the same God who lives in us today. Yahweh, The LORD, reminded Moses of his covenant promises to the great patriarchs hundreds of years earlier. He would now fulfill it through Moses. His promises and direction give meaning to our lives as well. An Egyptian's idol, has no power, they were man-made, and hollow. There was no life in them, they couldn't save their people. Only our God can and will do that. Our God, who is, was and will always be.

• 2 weeks later...

I am that I am.....reminds me of what I would say to my children...Because I am the mom....he is saying to me I am that I AM I created you I have always been here and I will always be here. Eternal Forever :rolleyes:

The idols that were worshipped never spoke for one, could not say they created us or that their presence was with us always. It was just something they adored, like nowadays say a car, or a phone....pretty to look at no substance....God was making a statement that he is the one and only true God

• 2 weeks later...

God was saying I am That I am.....reminds me of the kids saysing It is what it is HE IS what HE IS....eternal, Self-existent, God of All, Creator of Everthing. When he explained to Moses what to explain to the eqyptians...he wanted them to know he was not a piece of wood to be worshiped, he created the wood, he created everything Yahweh, eternal God.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When God revealed his name as Yahweh, I am that I am, He was telling Moses and the Israelites That He is the everlasting God who existed and occupies eternity in contrast to the Egyptian gods who were carved out of wood and stone. He is the God of Abraham, Isac and Jacob, who would free them from slavery.Where the Egyptians have numerous gods who rules every aspect of their life, Yahweh is the one and only God who needs to be worshiped and obeyed and the Israelites have to trust Yahweh that He is who he said He is. He is the ONE who rules , not the gods of Egypt.

"I AM" speaks of God's eternal nature, sovereignty and omnipotence. In this text, He knew the suffering of His people, He understood the question of Moses and gave Him a reply that revealed the attributes Moses and the Israelites needed to be encouraged in their faith to follow in obedience. God's sovereignty and omnipotence reveals His position and power over the Egyptian idols. The Israelites had been enslaved in Egypt for generations. There are times when being in captivity feels secure. There are times when fear of the unknown is so overwhelming, people will choose to remain in captivity where they are familiar with their discomfort. Having an understanding of the name of Yahweh gave the Israelites confidence to let go of their captivity.

Yahweh reveals the concept and reality of "The One Who Is and Always Will Be"......The Eternal .... Oneness ..... The United All Encompassing.... In Contrast with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians it represents the limited and material dimensions represented by the consciousness through which the human species maintained itself (i.e. Egyptian)....although the Egyptians were quite advanced in their representations of the other world..the afterlife and nonpermanence....in contrast to Yahweh they were still involved in conundrums of doubting other representations of this afterlife and nonpermanence of the human form and the permanence of "All That Is"...

• 4 weeks later...

1. a. God's name Yahweh reveals that he is the great I AM, the Eternal Everlasting God. The one who lives forever. The God who is, who was and who is to come. The God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. I will be with you always.

b. Yahweh, the Eternal Everlasting God, who is Almighty, Immortal, Invisible, the one who lives forever -vs- Idols - dead, made of wood and stone, no power, worthless.

• 2 months later...

The name Yahweh reveals the Eternal nature of God making me to know that He is the same yesterday, today and forevermore - He changeth not and that He is able to remember us and deliver us always.- anytime, anywhere, forever there for us.

Our God is Invisible God and not man made (object) god placed somewhere worshiped by a set of people but The Supreme God that made The Heaven and Earth and all that dwelt in it. He is incomparable, incontestable not a magician but a miracle God, He is too High, too Deep, too Wide for anyone His handiwork no-one can fathom. May His Name be praised forevermore.

• 1 month later...

Exo 3:1 Now Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law, Jethro, the priest of Midian, and he led his flock to the west side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.

Exo 3:2 And the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed.

Exo 3:3 And Moses said, "I will turn aside to see this great sight, why the bush is not burned."

Exo 3:4 When the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am."

Exo 3:5 Then he said, "Do not come near; take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground."

Exo 3:6 And he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.

Exo 3:7 Then the LORD said, "I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings,

Exo 3:8 and I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites.

Exo 3:9 And now, behold, the cry of the people of Israel has come to me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them.

Exo 3:10 Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt."

Exo 3:11 But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?"

Exo 3:12 He said, "But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain."

Exo 3:13 Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?"

Exo 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Exo 3:15 God also said to Moses, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.

God is revealing Who He is. This signifies the real being of God, his self-existence, and that he is the Being of beings; as also it denotes his eternity and immutability, and his constancy and faithfulness in fulfilling his promises, for it includes all time, past, present, and to come; and the sense is, not only I am what I am at present, but I am what I have been, and I am what I shall be, and shall be what I am. God is revealing He is self sufficient. The Egyptians have many Gods to look after different things while I AM is the creator of all things. He is everything

Exo 3:1 Now Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law, Jethro, the priest of Midian, and he led his flock to the west side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.

Exo 3:2 And the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed.

Exo 3:3 And Moses said, "I will turn aside to see this great sight, why the bush is not burned."

Exo 3:4 When the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am."

Exo 3:5 Then he said, "Do not come near; take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground."

Exo 3:6 And he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.

Exo 3:7 Then the LORD said, "I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings,

Exo 3:8 and I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites.

Exo 3:9 And now, behold, the cry of the people of Israel has come to me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them.

Exo 3:10 Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt."

Exo 3:11 But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?"

Exo 3:12 He said, "But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain."

Exo 3:13 Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?"

Exo 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Exo 3:15 God also said to Moses, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.

Yahwey reveals that he is the strogest. He has one name that describes what he is.

• 1 month later...