JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. First and Last

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God? How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

The first thing that springs out, especially when you see the context is that God, in saying "I am the first and the last", puts himself above and opposite, yes, even against any idols.

Isaiah 44:7 (NIV):

Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come - yes, let him foretell what will come.

(NLT):

Who is like Me? Let him step forward and prove to you his power. Let him do as I have done since ancient times when I established a people and explained its future. (I think the New Living Translation puts it even better than the NIV, :-))

And everything remained quiet and silent, because no one is like God. not even close!

"The first and the last" also shows eternity. God was in the beginning. And He will be in the end. God is! "Yahweh", I AM WHO I AM. I AM!

No one else can say this, only God, the Creator of the universe.

"The first and the last" also speaks to me of God's sovereignty. God is in control. Whatever happens in my life, God is the first and the last. Nothing comes between. Nothing can take me out of his protecting hands. God rules over everything. He is in control.

Revelation 1:8 (NIV):

"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

(NLT):

"I am the Alpha and the Omega

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God? How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

God has no beginning and no end. He has always been and always will be. He is the only true God. The Creator of all things. When all things have passed from Earth, He will still be present.

God's revelation to Moses takes on much the same meaning in Revelation 1:8: "I am...He Who is and Who was and Who is to come, the Almighty-the Ruler of all." (AMP) He is called in Isaiah 9:6, "Everlasting Father (of Eternity)" (AMP). This is the meaning of His name that He spoke to Moses. From the beginning of the Scriptures to the end, just as in eternity. God has remained the same.

He is the one and only God. There is no other beside HIm. He empowers all glory and honor and worthy of all the praises of His people. He is the same yesterday, today and forvever. He is never changing. And is what His Word says He is . The almight Living God.

• 4 months later...

What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God? How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

God is eternal and there is no beginning nor end to Him. It is like a ring of gold. Our God, who knows the end from the beginning, is and was and always will be.

God. Rev 1:8 is saying the same thing as God's revelation to Moses. He is eternal and unchanging and while we may not be able to comprehend that with our finite minds

there will soon be a day when it will all make sense to us. And oh what a day that will be.

• 2 months later...

The idea of "first" and "last" tells me that God is eternal -- existing in the past, present, and future.

The Lord God said that he is "the Alpha and the Omega ... who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." God, in revealing Himself to Moses said, "I AM THAT I AM" -- the eternal one, one who has always existed -- past, present, and future.

The Holy Scripture is consistent from Genesis to Revelation on this point as it is every point.

• 2 weeks later...

He is the Creator. He spoke us into being. He was long before us and will be long after us.

John 1:1

[ The Eternal Word ] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Revelation 1:8 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It tells me:

that if I go to the western side I'll come across the Almighty God.

that if I go to the Eastern side the last I'll meet will Adonai.

that if I go to the South there I will come face to face with El Shaddai

even if I decide to go Northwards He is also there.

This means that God is the First and the Last of everything. In fact to put it correctly He is outside the bounds of human imagination, He is not controlled and guided by man-made boundary, He is there above everything that man can see and touch. He is the Alpha and Omega, He is the last to every imagination, thought, or any intelectual thinking that may prop into the mind of man.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God?

Before anything existed there was God, and His existence will be forever.

How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

I AM completely who I AM, God Almighty. :blink:

• 1 month later...

The idea of first and last tells me that God has always existed. Before time and after time He will exist. He spoke the world into existence. He made us in His image. He has always existed. I AM THAT I AM is saying He is our eternal God, there is no one else like Him. He is the one and only true God.

• 2 weeks later...

The "first" and "last" tells me that God always was and always will be. Revelation 1:8 mirrors God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM", in that He reveals himself as the self-sufficient one, which means he, like matter, cannot be created or destroyed, so he always was and always will be.

I want to preface this with a comment from a Jewish woman I knew. She said that God was the A, the Z, and the M. Not only is He the beginning and the end, but he is also the middle. I would like to add that he is ALL of the letters between A and Z.

What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God?

Everything on earth has a beginning and an end. In human language and understanding it is difficult to describe an eternal God. To say that God is the beginning is insufficient. There was no beginning of Him. To say that he is the end is insufficient becuase there will be no end.

God is and that is sufficient.

Reva

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God?

When you're the first...there has been no one before you.....and when you are the last...there will never be another....this tells me that God is eternal, self existent, has always been and will always be. No one created Him....He is the creator of all that exists. He is all powerful...sovereign.

He IS the Beginning and the End, He Who was, and Is and Is to come, the Almighty (the ruler of all) I Am that I Am...."I Am all that you need..ever."

First and last tells me God always has been and always will be, t he alpha and omega. Is Eternal. I AM THAT I AM declares His eternal existence and He is all one needs.

First and Last: God is eternal...always was, is, and will be. Also that He was creator and will be the Finisher. Also, that in my life I can completely trust His commitment to me at all times and that He will never leave me . That He will retain His power and presence in my life and that of others for the future.

Just as the Greek alphabet has the first and last letters as "Alpha" and "Omega", so God is fully in control throughout my life. He is the I AM of my life....I can count on Him more even than I count on the Sun to shine. I am comforted!!!

First and last imply that GOD always was there is none before Him and He will always be none will be after Him either.

being first and last and I am relate as not only is GOD from beginning to end but He is also EVERYTHING inbetween. GOD Was GOD IS GOD Will be!!!!!!!!! All is said and done that settles it.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God?

I love the comment made by JanMary who wrote, "When you're the first...there has been no one before you.....and when you are the last...there will never be another."

Also one made by Reva who said, "To say that God is the beginning is insufficient. There was no beginning of Him. To say that he is the end is insufficient because there will be no end."

These two comments sum it up beautifully.

How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM?

They somewhat relate in the idea of God being eternal or always present. The name I AM, however, suggest no time element. It makes me think that He just "is" always. Saying God is the "first" implies a past, saying He is the "last", implies future, but the name "I AM" seems timelesss.

• 2 weeks later...

The First and the Last relates to the attribute of Eternity, not immortality which has it's origin in living forever, it suggest the futurity of things. but Eternalness which is the expression eluded to in genesis 1:1 that before there was; God was already. and when the end of everything that we can perceive happens, God will still be.

It is the very expression which is reveled to us in rev 1 :8 When God said I am Alpha and Omega God is saying "I was there before there was a beginning I was there after there is an end." That the eternity of God is just an single expression of His Omnipotent Self

• 2 weeks later...

First and Last tells me that God was never created, He has always existed even from the beginning, whatever that really means, and that everyone and everything came after Him. Last tells me that |God is eternal, no-one and nothing can outlive Him. So in both of these, God is all powerful, He is mighty and lofty and all honour is due to Him

• 9 months later...

Isaiah and John tell us that God was/is/will be.

Besides this, He is the only God (the first and the last with no one in between).

God IS and the other gods aren't.

• 4 months later...