JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Anger, Caprice, and Justice

Anger at sin is ok as long as it is controlled by the Holy Spirit. We are told to hate the sin but to love the sinner. I think that also works for us - my problem is that when I sin, I get so angry with myself :angry: - not that I am perfect :unsure: but I get really down on myself. I need to remember that God loves me and has died on the cross for that sin. :)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anger at sin is appropriate because it takes into account the true and awful consequences of that sin. I think some of the saddest words in the Bible are God's words to Eve in the garden, "What is it that you have done?" All the woes to come in the world are in that question. :( Thank God for the Lamb!

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin?

As a Fundamentalist Christian I believe we are called to imitate our Savior Jesus.  There are numerous examples in the Old Testament of God exercising His awesome power and His anger against His people

We should be angry at sin because it is selfish, destructive and brings about death. The word of God says that the wages of sin is death. Sin is the tool Satan uses to drive a wedge between God and us and to ultimately bring about our demise.

Uncontrolled anger lashes out indiscriminately. God has not dealt with humanity in the way we deserve; we would all be toast if He allowed Himself uncontrolled anger. With Jesus, God has given all humanity the opportunity to repent and turn to Him for forgiveness. His anger will come to those who stubbornly refuse to accept their sinfulness and reconcile themselves to God. So, no one gets away with anything :(

It is okay to be angry, only when the anger is focused on the sin that caused the mistrust or event. Paul even said to be angry but not to let that anger turn into wrath. When the power that anger produces is used to take vengence than it becomes sin on the angry person's part. But when the anger is used to take proactive action to prevent the hurt being repeated than this is righteous anger. We as Christians are to be God's tool in bringing about justice in this world, and not adding injustice to that which already exists. :D

hello everyone, this is my first post of my first internet biblestudy. i felt that i could share a thought on question #2 for the simple reason that anger is something that ive had to deal with in my past. i believe the 'emotion' anger in itself requires an "action", which then produces a "result". as a sinner, i have to say that many times the action taken and given result were not good! but now as a believer, i think that a "righteous anger" toward our sins as well as others', can only bring about the desired result of god the father in his devine will.

Anger is an appropriate response to sin because sin id deeply offensive to God. We cannot approach His holy presence unless our sins are cleansed.

We should try and control anger because capricious or uncontrolled anger is anger that is out of control. This type of anger will lead to injustice. Exodus 34:6-7 tells us God is compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love,faithful, maintaining love to thousands, forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet He does not leave the guilty unpunished. This is the anger that bring about justice.

:) Anger is an appropriate response to sin because we have a holy and righteous God who hates sin but not the sinner. And people seeks to pull down God to its level which is not right. To sin is to miss the mark; it is disobedience to God and if we regard sin in our hearts, God will not hear us. Anger at sin is not being angry with the person himself but on how he opens and allows himself to be used by the schemes of the enemy.

Capricious or uncontrolled anger is acting merely out of anger without logic or any good reason at all maybe because of pride or just to save face. Anger that brings about justice is something that does not leave the guilty unpunished and taking into consideration what the Word of God says about the matter.

:) Anger is an appropriate response to sin because we have a holy and righteous God who hates sin but not the sinner. And people seeks to pull down God to its level which is not right. To sin is to miss the mark; it is disobedience to God and if we regard sin in our hearts, God will not hear us. Anger at sin is not being angry with the person himself but on how he opens and allows himself to be used by the schemes of the enemy.

Capricious or uncontrolled anger is acting merely out of anger without logic or any good reason at all maybe because of pride or just to save face. Anger that brings about justice is something that does not leave the guilty unpunished and taking into consideration what the Word of God says about the matter.

The anger of God is a rightous anger. God can not tolerate sin, He is angry at the sin not the sinner. I think that most Christians think that it is a sin to feel anger. Anger out of pride, or ****,out of selfishness or self improtance is a sin. Anger at what sin has done to mankind and anger at how easily we look over sin should be the normal response to sin.

God expects us to be upset and angry at the sin in this world. We must always pray for the sinner, but it must be pointed out to him that sin will not be tolerated by God and that overlooking it or easily dismissing it can lead straight to hell.

God is there for us when we ask forgiveness of our sins and thank the Lord He sent our Lord and Savior to take away those sins. He is the atonement for the world! :D:D

I think it is clear that anger toward sin is a justifiable reaction. I'm reminded of an analogy which Ron Hutchcraft used. He said, "Imagine 2 men at a party. One of the men begins telling drunk driver jokes. The second man is not laughing. When the first man asked why the second was not laughing, he replied, 'Because a drunk driver killed my son.'" Sin killed God's Son. It is not a matter to be taken lightly.

This question also has me pondering how easily I get angered over the sins of someone else, but also how easily I overlook my own sins. Those don't seem to anger me nearly as much.

As far as how to express the anger we feel over sin, I have been trying to develop the habit of venting to God FIRST when I'm angry about something. I won't call my sisters, my dad, my husband first. I shout it out to God first. He is the divine and wise judge -- I CERTAINLY am not. In these heaven-directed explosions, I find that I'm able to release the initial anger and then let God be the judge. Sometimes He wants us to confront sin. Other times He asks us to be dispensers of His Grace......the same grace that He's shown us ..... and let Him do the correcting. It's tough to be human, but what a relief to know that God is in control, and that He will guide.

blondesmiley.gifHi, Everyone

Anger is an appropriate response to sin for GOD, but not for us. He created us to be like Him, and when we fail, as we always do, He has perfect justification to be angry. Praise Him that He is long-suffering, loving and forgives us! :wub:

We have no right to be angry at another's sin, as we are all sinners. We must first look at ourselves (I can't see the speck in your eye because the lumber yard in mine is getting in the way!) Otherwise, we are being self-righteous. The only person who was ever justified in His anger, was, of course, Jesus, being wholly man and wholly God, and perfect in every way. Of course, I think it is righteous and just for us to be angry at the world's sins in general. It is our duty to proclaim the Word for the truth.

The only time I think we are justified in our anger over sin, is when it is directed at our own shortcomings.

Of course, it would be nice if I could say I'm never angry ... :rolleyes:

:angry: Anger is an appropriate responce to sin because it effects our families,friends in a way we all live.It angers us when someone lies about something.Terrible things happen from sin,and sin can be life threatning.We have to controll anger or it could lead to injustice.

Capricious or uncontrolled anger ia s freak:or sudden unreasonable change of opinion,or humor which could cause a bad situation to accur.Anger that brings about justice is fairness or just treatment in punishment.

Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Before I answer the question I just want to say that it is such a blessing to read all of your answers, your knowledge really helps me to gain a deeper understanding of the topics we are studying!

Anger is an appropriate response because it is seeing how things that could be so good and right have gone wrong. It is wishing that things were right, just and fair the way they are supposed to be, not the way they are. We know that that person could have done so much better, made such a better choice.

Capricous and uncontrolled anger, however, is more like resentment than displeasure. It focuses on the hurt that is done to myself and usually wants to retaliate and cause hurt to get "even" with the other party. The reason we have to get anger under control is to filter out this sinful, fallen man, response.

An anger that brings about justice works for the good of the other person, to lovingly, in a gentle manner point out their wrong and steer them onto the right path.

Be ye angry and sin not. I think this at least allows for the possibility of a righteous anger directed not at the sinner but at the sin. I know as a Pastor I have dealt with christians who willfully sin and just don't seem to get the big picture that our lives need to be lived as an example before the unbeleiving world. I know that in those instances I was able to be very angry at thier actions but at the same time I was able to demonstrate toward them a loving disposition, and maintain a genuine desire to see them not only reconciled to God, but also restored to fellowship. Anger that is directed toward the sinner seems to create a hardened heart or defensiveness in them that makes it harder to minister to them in a manner that they will respond positively to.

God is holy and righteous, separate from humans and human sinfulness.

Sin is offensive to God. Capricious anger is merely acting out of anger.

I think that anger is an appropriate response to sin because sin hurts, and the consequences of sin can be very damaging. God hates sin, but through him we can be redeemed. I don't think that being angry about sin is wrong because it makes us conscious of sin, I think that the difference occurs in what the response to that anger illicits and the manner in which justice is gained. Capricious or uncontrolled anger wll lead us to think thoughts that are ungodly and may lead to actions which are detrimental. We are told be angry and sin not, and also that we are to put off anger because we are new creatures. I hope I'm not contradicting myself here but what I'm trying to say is that we are allowed to be angry but it's better not to because sometimes you may get so enraged that you lose control. With regard to anger that brings justice I think that this is where even if you are angry, you acknowledge that you are angry, but allow God to take control of the situation and allow him to seek justice.

Sin is a rebellion against God. A rebellion that is damaging against the sinner both physically and spiritually. Spiritual is a separation from God. Gods laws are set up as a protection of our physical and

spiritual welll being. God our heavenly father like our earthly father

has our best interest in mind. And when we disregard our fathers

loving imbrase with sin and rebellion Anger at what we did is the result. An anger directed at what we did not at us.

Capricious, acting merely out of anger. uncontrolled anger one in which you do not known the end result when the anger is over or forgiven.

hello everyone, this is my first post of my first internet biblestudy. i felt that i could share a thought on question #2 for the simple reason that anger is something that ive had to deal with in my past. i believe the 'emotion' anger in itself requires an "action", which then produces a "result". as a sinner, i have to say that many times the action taken and given result were not good! but now as a believer, i think that a "righteous anger" toward our sins as well as others', can only bring about the desired result of god the father in his devine will.

Dear Wayne I.; I thought your answer, concerning anger, was very good! You said this was your first posting....I pray we see :blink: many more of your "thoughts" put to words! An on-line Bible study, I'm sure, is new to alot of us....A hint; Pretend we're all setting together, just discussing the Word! It worked for me. :lol: love, jaunita

This below was my answer to this question. on page 2.

+ God's anger with sin is justified as He is perfect and can not accept sin in us. He sacrificed the Best so that we can be cleansed of sin and one day be with Him, the Triune God.

+ Justified anger is one where the anger serves a purpose for the better good.

+ I like Juanita's idea of sitting in a circle and sharing our thoughts on these topics. When I answered part one of the question I was thinking of God's anger at sin. Not the anger we have in our life situations.

+ In life our anger should not be hidden - it should be brought out in an approprate manner, showing the love of Christ and remembering "WWJD". Which is what I touched on when I wrote that anger should always serve a purpose for the"better good." That would go a long way in helping us to live in this world. B)

Why is anger an appropriate response to sin?

This is my take on anger. :) Anger is God's "fire alarm" to alert us to danger. Whether one labels that danger a crossed emotional boundary, verbal abuse, or manipulation for selfish gain, at the root, it is simply sin. Anger amplifies the truth that sin is wrong...and, hopefully, motivates us to act. If sin didn't anger God, would He have been motivated to pay the price to redeem us from it? Would we have been left to wander farther and farther from the Shepherd?

What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

This question reminds me of the "be angry but don't sin" verse in the Bible. I don't think anger (emotional response to sin) is ever wrong. I think that, when angry, we can choose right or wrong actions. Wrong actions in response to anger might include words, thoughts, desires, actions that seek to tear down or destroy something God values (person, place, thing, idea). Right actions might include words, etc. that seek to build up or restore.

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Even God gets angry at SIN.

Uncontrolled anger hurts people, the person being angry and the person that it is directed at. Anger that brings justice - The end results are thought about before doing anything in anger. This is normally a restorative action.

:P

• 2 weeks later...

It is simply natural to be upset when a wrong is done exspecially if it directly affects yourself or a loved one!!

Uncontrolled anger is just another sin. It results in yet another person being hurt in one way or another. It brings about more trouble and more anger. Anger that brings about justice results in trying to solve or rectify the problem and should be done with a sense of love for what is right.

Beverly