JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Call of Isaiah

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah? Why is Isaiah afraid? How does God make Isaiah holy? What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar? Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

Isaiah recognizes God's holiness and his sins against God. That he is unclean. It opens his eyes to his sinful state. Isaiah is afraid because he believes if anyone sees God they will die including him because sin displeases God. God makes Isaiah holy by putting the burning coal to his lips. That coal burnt all the sinful thoughts, words, and actions that Isaiah may have away, thus making him pure. Isaiah was now ready to serve the Lord with all his heart. He was at the point to where he could say, Here I am, send me. He wis willing to go where the Lord sent him and do whatever the Lord ask.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

Isaiah realized his sin and knew that he didn't deserve to be in the presence of a Holy God. He cried out, "I am undone." He was completely humbled by the experience.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

Isiah knew that he had sinned and that he had unclean lips. With sin in our lives, we should be afraid of God. His holiness cannot tolerate sin.

How does God make Isaiah holy? What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar?

The angel touched Isaiah's lips with not just any coal, but a coal from the alter. This fire cleansed and purified him.

Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

After he was cleansed, Isiah wanted to give his life for God's work. He said, "Here am I. Send me."

When God makes a request of me, I want my answer always to be, "Yes."

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

He was undone and said he was ruined...he recognized his own sinful condition and the sinful condition of those around him, particularly his lips and words.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

The foundations and door posts shook and the temple was filled with smoke. He saw the seraphim and heard them crying to one another about the Lord's holiness. He saw the Lord! He was afraid he would die.

How does God make Isaiah holy?

He had a seraphim with a live coal from the altar touch his mouth..then told him "Your iniquity and guilt are taken away, and your sin is completely atoned for and forgiven."

What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar?

Fire is a purifier, and coming from the altar where sacrifices were made, it symbolized the future shedding of the blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ.

He immediately responded in obedience to the Lord's saying "Whom shall I send? And who will go for Us?", by saying "here am I; send me."

• 2 weeks later...

Isaiah was both terrified that He would die because of being in God's holy presence and was aware of his own sinfulness because of the Lord (Holy Spirit) showing that sinfulness to him.

Why is Isaiah afraid? Isaiah was afraid he would die.

How does God make Isaiah holy? God makes Isaiah holy by responding to Isaiah's acknowlegement and admission of his sin at which time God cleansed him (forgave) and removed his guilt of the sin. With his sin forgiven, Isaiah now is holy (without sin) before God. (I'm sure Isaiah sinned after this but in God's eyes the forgiving work still maintained Isaiah's entrance into God's presence.

What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar?Coal from the altar: symbolizes the atoning death of Jesus on the cross. Also, the coal represents a sacrifice of Jesus and also, in a way, the sacrifice of Isaiah to the work and life of God.

Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God? Isaiah's response? Filled with love for God, appreciation for God, the power of the H. S., a cleansed life, etc, Isaiah enthusiasticly (sp.?) responds, "Lord, please send me to do your work!". He is a given-over man!!

I heard a scholar say once that he believed from the wording of the scripture that God was not specifically speaking to Isaiah with the words, "who shall go for us?" but was speaking to whomever would hear....and that Isaiah "overheard" God saying that. Interesting. Makes sense to me!

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah? Why is Isaiah afraid? How does God make Isaiah holy? What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar? Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

As Isaiah recognizes GOD's holiness he immediately recognizes he is not worthy to enter into GOD's presence, Isaiah is reminded of his sins against GOD and is immediately feeling guilt and shame.

I believe Isaiah is afraid because he believed that no none can see GOD and still live. he thought he was going to die and he was guilty of sin.

Isaiah was made holy with fire on an coal. he believed GOD mad attonement for him and he released his feelings of guilt unto GOD.

After being made holy Isaiah responds to GOD in adoration and worhip ready to serve as GOD leads.

• 4 months later...

Scares him.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

He recognizes plainly his own unholiness; in vast, vast contradiction to God's. He also recognizes that the two cannot be together.

By touching his lips with a coal from the alter.

An alter is where sacrifices are made. This coal is hot - for its says "live coal." Perhaps this piece of coal was from a burning or burned sacrifice. This sacrifice would attone for Isaiah's sins, just as the sacrifice of Jesus attones for ours.

Ready and willing.

Isaiah sees how great his sins are and how pure and holy God is and this makes him realise that he can't stand before God or be in his presence the way he is. He is afraid because he thinks that anyone who sees God will die. God touches his lips with the hot coals. The coal symbolises God's forgiveness and His cleansing of sin. Isaiah now dedicated his life to God and says "here I am, send me."

• 9 months later...

Isaiah sees God sitting on a throne (1), surrounded by serafs (2) singing His holiness (3), even the house is reacting on it (4).

This makes Isaiah realize God's holiness and therefore he is afraid (5).

An angel burns his sins from his lips with a coal (6-7).

The coal stands for burning away.

Then Isaiah volunteers for a mission (8).

Just like Mary and Isaiah we have to accept our calling.

We better not make excuses like Moses or even run away like Jona.

• 4 months later...

Names of God: 5. The Holy and Righteous One‏

Isaiah 6:1-8(NLT):

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8)

Why is Isaiah afraid?

Now made holy - dedicated to God - how does Isaiah respond to God?

The vision of God

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

Isaiah's vision of God on His throne, shows us God's greatness and His power. Isaiah realized God is pure and sinless, and that he, himself was an unclean sinner. He feared that he would die, because of his sinful nature, and the fact that he was in God's presents. In a time when moral and spiritual decay was running rampant, it was important for Isaiah to see God in His Holiness. The purifing by the burning coal, is the same a the purifing of silver. It is the burning process that cleasne it of all impurities. It removed Isaiah's guilt and sin. It made him worthy to be God's servant, to worship and serve Him. Isaiah was ready to respond to God. He said, "Here I am, send Me!"

• 4 months later...

When Isaiah saw God on the throne in His holy splendor, He himself immediately saw himself as he was- sinful and unholy. He realised that his words and actions did not bring glory to God and he realized that he cannot live in the presence of the Most High God and that he was sure to die. He cried out to God and God answered him - an angel took a coal from the fire and touch Isaiah's lip, I think its was like the burnt offerings for sin.The coal from the fire burnt away his sins so that he can stand before God. He then was totally dedicated to God and was ready to do whatever God wants him to do.

If we have a clearer vision of God and His holiness, we would also be more dedicated and willing to be used by Him

• 1 month later...

Holiness of God made him keenly aware of his own sinfulness and afraid of judgment of God. No one has seen a holy God and still remained alive. There is a definite chasm between a holy God and unclean man. God let seraph bring a live coal to Isaiah and touched his lips and made him clean. The live coal from the altar symbolizes God

• 2 weeks later...

The realization of God's holiness affects Isaiah in a way where Isaiah sees none of his own reflection when viewing God and is stunned with remorse......God's very presence to Isaiah surrounds Isaiah with God's reality of holiness and is no longer purely an abstract conception...bringing Isaiah to ask forgiveness of God for his ignorance......

The symbolism of the coal from the alter is to represent a fire that is still carried in warmth and holding Spirit to re-kindle those awaiting recognition of God's Kingdom ....and touching the lips of Isaiah give Isaiah the strength to understand his new place in existence...

Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- Isaiah responds to God by receiving God's call to be sent to spread this knowledge of God's holiness.....

• 1 month later...

Isaiah's realization of God's holiness opened his eyes to see himself as a complete sinner unworthy of delivering God's message which brought about his repentance followed by God's cleansing him. He was afraid because of the vision he saw, the holiness of God, and what he has been prophesying against the people of Israel and Judah and that because of his uncleanness he could also receive the judgement of God. The coal symbolizes cleansing and forgiveness by God. Isaiah submitted himself to God's work saying Here I am send me.

• 3 months later...

Even if Uzziah were somewhat humble, one would think being a king, he would develop an egotistical attitude to some degree. After all he is a king and would have some expectations of being superior to his subjects both in mind and deeds. Yet we are told even our best works, which we consider righteous, are like filthy rags to God (Isaiah 64:6). Upon exposure to God

• 2 months later...

Isaiah realized that he was a sinful man and could not measure up to God’s standard of holiness. He knew that he was unclean before the presence of God and because of God’s holiness. Isaiah thought it was over for him; he was sure that he would die. But, God cleanses him making him holy when the seraph touched his mouth with the coal from the altar. The coal itself represented ceremonial cleansing and atonement of his sins. Isaiah responded by submitting himself to and accepting the task that God needed done.

• 3 weeks later...

Isaiah feels like he falls short for he is a man of unclean lips and his eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts. He was afraid since he had not been cleansed nor was pure enough to see God and the penality was death. His unspoken request of attonment was answered immediately. He was cleansed by a seraphs flew to him with a live coal from the altar where he touched his mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sins are attoned for."

• 3 months later...

He is afraid for His life, for he believes that anyone who sees God will surely be put to death. And of course, wow, I am sure even God's very appearance frightened him when he first saw it since he had never seen anything like it in his whole life. It must have been awesome beyond words.

God makes Isaiah holy by sending an angel to touch his lips with a live coal from off the altar. I'll bet he never forgot that again. I probably left a scar for life. It symbolized the holiness of God, and the cleansing of Isaiah's own body and life from sin in the eternal forgiveness of God. And set him apart from His service. He obediently responded: Here am I, send me." Oh, God that I might get just a glimpse of Your holiness and respond as obediently as he did. I have seen enough that I have not excuse now. " I believe. Help my unbelief."

He is afraid for His life, for he believes that anyone who sees God will surely be put to death. And of course, wow, I am sure even God's very appearance frightened him when he first saw it since he had never seen anything like it in his whole life. It must have been awesome beyond words.

God makes Isaiah holy by sending an angel to touch his lips with a live coal from off the altar. I'll bet he never forgot that again. I probably left a scar for life. It symbolized the holiness of God, and the cleansing of Isaiah's own body and life from sin in the eternal forgiveness of God. And set him apart from His service. He obediently responded: Here am I, send me." Oh, God that I might get just a glimpse of Your holiness and respond as obediently as he did. I have seen enough that I have not excuse now. " I believe. Help my unbelief."

• 11 months later...

I lovee God so much yet I am very aware of the many times I have failed in tought, word, and sometimes deeds. When I read this scripture it reminds me 'how far short I come of God's absolute holiness. Just like with my natural father, I become afraid of His displeasure. Yet I will 'admit my faults and failings and ask for help. Sometimes it is discouraging BUT I do remember that Jesus died for all of us so that we CAN have a relationship with Him. He never requires anything that we caznnot do as we seek His help, forgiveness, strength. While I know that I cannot 'undo the words I have uttered, nor the wrong thinking I go through, I KNOW that God will help and I WILL grow and mature. It is a 'process.'

• 10 months later...

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

Isaiah becomes acutely aware of his sinful existence and that he is not worthy to be in the presence of God.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

It was commonly believed that no mortal man could see God and live to tell of it. He is deathly afraid that God will kill him outright because he is a man belonging to a sinful people.

One of God's seraphim touches Isaiah's lips with a hot coal from the fire on the altar and declares Isaiah forgiven and cleansed. His sin was also declared atoned for.

Fire it often regarded as a purifier. Isaiah's confession that he is a man of sinful lips prompted God to have the seraphim touch his lips with a coal from God's own holy altar.

When God asks whom He should send to the people of Israel, Isaiah immediately volunteers.

• 1 year later...

Isaiah's realization of God's holiness has affected him spiritually and emotionally. He has a feeling of unworthiness and unclean.

Isaiah is afraid because of uncleanliness and lack of purity before God.

God makes Isaiah holy by cleansing him by way of a seraphim touching his lips with hot coals from the altar.

Since the altar is holy and pure, the hot coal is a symbol of purification and atonement.isaiah's guilt is taken away.