JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (Ephesians 1:3) What does it mean to you to be "in Christ" -- incorporated into Christ? What are the implications of this for your life?
To be in with Jesus. Worshipping Him, and following not just His footsteps but His ways, and everything that He left with us. The implications for me, would be for me to take up my cross and walk in His ways.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Ephesians 1:3) What does it mean to you to be "in Christ" -- incorporated into Christ? What are the implications of this for your life?

for me, it's like being in the middle of the ocean. i can't see the shoreline on either side of me, there is no telling what could be swimming underneath me, and i can't see or reach the bottom, and all i can do is look up. yet the only fear that grabs me is his love. even though i know his love sustains me and draws me close, it scares me as well. his love is so much more than i can ever imagine, so i will rest in him as he works through me.

• 2 months later...

To me, it means that we are jointly connected with Christ we are part of his existence; everything that flows out and within Christ flows through us. Paul said Galatians 2:20. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. We can not do without Christ in our life. We are under his influence and control

For in him we live, and move, and have our being; Acts 17:28

• 2 months later...

Just as the Trinity represents the three manifestations of God - Father, Son and Holy Spirt - we as His disciples, once we claim Him, are living manifestations of Him.

As a result, if we are truly in Him, everything we do is a reflectionf of Him and of His plan and love for us. This means that our lives are no longer our own, but His to use in order to reflect His love and mercy to all mankind.

Each in our own way, as unique creations of His, remain ourselfes but indwelt by His spirit - the Holy Spirt -to use our talents and weaknesses to His best use.

• 1 month later...

To be in Christ for me is the same as being included as part of his family, a whole and complete member. It gives me a sense of peace and security that I have the love of my Father even when I make mistakes (sin).

The implications of this mean that my actions no longer effect just me. Everything I do personally directly effects my new "family" and carries it's own weight.

To be in Chirst is to be part of him sharing what the Father has promised. Seeing people the way God see them not what we see. We are not our own we were purchase with a price. We need to be God's light through us. What non-believer see in us is what they think God is all about. One has to be careful not to give the wrong implication of christians.

It means that I am no longer vulnerable for sin, but that I am hidden in Him. That means that I must focus on Christ each day and not on distractions and dwell in His Word and learn His ways and search His will. In that way I have nothing to fear of sin, because His love covers me and the spiritual blessings that I receive then will satisfy me more than enough. Learning to walk in His intimacy and drink from Him daily and not focus on my own abilities and failures but be Christ centered.

Being in Christ for me means I look to Him for direction. The Holy Spirit took up residence in my life when I asked Christ to be my Savior and as I give Him more control of my life then he directs me.

The implications for me is to be constantly aware that He is there and not to ignore the promptings when He wants to direct me.

• 2 weeks later...

"in Christ" - How awesome those two words are and how secure that makes me feel. To me it means that no matter what

goes on in this old world, I belong to Christ and I belong with Him, and with that I will never be alone, He is always with me and for that I am truly grateful to my heavenly father for the gift of His Son.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

to me it means to one with Him! to be lead and guided and comforted by the Lord of all Creation! That no matter what I go through on a daily basis, I never have to go through it alone again. That He is right there with me. To know that I never have to go through the hurts and the pain of this world (and the joy too, lets not forget that) by myself again. Before I knew Christ all of the hurt and pain that I ever went through seemed desolate. Like there was no hope, like it served no purpose. Now that I am one with him, I still go through the pain and sorrow, however, I know that it is for some greater purpose.

I would just like to say thank God for this fantastic teaching. This is my first class and I am already enlightened. I at 26 recently received my calling as a prophetess and minister of the gospel and, I am diligently seeking the Word of God.

Now, I will answer this question that has just stirred up something in me. How powerful is it to be in Christ. I, Shantae, am in Christ. One of my favorite scriptures is Acts 17:28. This scripture represents what it means for me to be in Christ. In him I live, and move, and have my being. This means I am faithfully serving him because, I am no longer my own, I have been bought with a price. I am chosen, for this reason, I will inherit many spiritual blessings. He is my Redeemer, Reconciler, Restorer, but best of all he is my Lord and Savior.

I am indebted to Christ for all that I am. I would not exist as I do without

• 4 weeks later...

The meaning to be "in Christ" to me means to one with "Christ". For me it represents that indwelling spirit of him that I have in him since I confessed him as my "Lord and Savior" and undestand what he came here to do for all of us.

The implications of this on my life has been to make the effort daily to die to myself and walk with his example while using the guidance of the word for my map. I pray to be decreased and he increased so that I might be an example for others to see how wonderful being here and how important it is to truly understand God's purpose and plan.

The meaning to be "in Christ" to me means to be one with "Christ". For me it represents that indwelling spirit of him that I have in me since the time I confessed him as my "Lord and Savior" and understand what he came here to do for all of us.

The implications of this on my life has been to make the effort daily to die to myself and walk with his example while using the guidance of the word for my map. I pray to be decreased and he increased so that I might be an example for others to see how wonderful being here and how important it is to truly understand God's purpose and plan.

To be in Christ means that I have recieved salvation by grace through faith. To believe that he is the son of God & that he was the propitiation for my sin & the whole worlds. Once initial salvation has taken place; he will fortify my spirit by his word & through prayer to be conformed into his immage. I will be born again when he fills me with his spirit & then have power to live a life that is pleasing to him. To live a life that is holy & exceptable. Other wise I wouldn't be able to do. My whole intent is to please him. In order for this to have taken place I would have to be adopted. Then I can cry out abba father! I believe that this is being in Christ.

• 4 weeks later...

As I meditate on the question of being in Christ....I think of standing before the Father....blameless....in full right standing....standing boldly at the Throne of Grace transformed by the renewing of my mind....no longer a slave to sin but free because of what Jesus the Christ did on the cross for me and that I chose to believe that He is Lord and that God raised Him from the dead.

No longer am I of this world. I applied for a citizenship for Heaven....was accepted and given a new identity.........IN CHRIST!!!! ;)

This is the good news.

Mike

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Ephesians 1:3)

EPH 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, NASB

What does it mean to you to be "in Christ" -- incorporated into Christ?

As pointed out by Dr Wilson and in most modern commentaries this phrase

• 2 weeks later...

It reminds me of what Jesus spoke in John that the Father was in Him and He was in the Father. Also that my life is hid with Christ. When we receive Jesus we receive his Spirit so Jesus lives in us through the Holy Spirit. We have died to a natural life and live to the spiritual life and that Life is in Christ.

The implications is that my focus shifts from being self sufficient to drawing on this new Life found in Christ for all my needs.

It reminds me of what Jesus spoke in John that the Father was in Him and He was in the Father. Also that my life is hid with Christ. When we receive Jesus we receive his Spirit so Jesus lives in us through the Holy Spirit. We have died to a natural life and live to the spiritual life and that Life is in Christ.

The implications is that my focus shifts from being self sufficient to drawing on this new Life found in Christ for all my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

To be in Christ means that we are in a close relationship with Him. We need to grow spiritually mature and nurture that relationship with Him through reading His Word and praying everyday, not just superficially but really studying and searching.

We should, as a result, love the things that He loves and hate what he hates.

We are joined with HIm, and everyone has that opportunity to be so. We have to make an effort - by being 'in Christ' we will receive every spiritual blessing. Take the self out of our lives and focus on Him and our relationship with Him.

Christ is the location of the believer's new life - to be united to Christ is to be 'in Christ'

• 3 weeks later...

What does it mean to be "in Christ" to me?

It means that I am a part of Christ and Christ is a part of me. My life is intertwined with the life of Christ, in that I can live a Christian life by the example Christ set for me. This Christian life is one of pain, suffering, hardships, fasting, loss, ridicule, abuse and misuse. This Christian life is a life of sacrifices, persecutions, of lonelines, of mourning, of crying and crying out to God, of trials, test and tribulations. On the one hand. Now on the other hand, this Christian life is one of faith, peace, joy, love, humility, obedience, prayer, praise, wordship, fullness of the Holy spirit, victory, power from on high, healing, protection, miracles, faith to move uproot trees and to move mountains into the sea and getting closer to God and Christ Jesus. This Christian life is one of prosperity, favor of God with men, knowledge and wisdom, strength, fasting, feasts, of dancing, of singing, of blessings. This Christian life which goes beyond the grave unto eternal life, my name being found written in the book of life, a mansion, a crown or two laid up in store for we who serve, most of all to be with God forever and ever and ever.

It means that I understand fully "God is love". It means I know that I am in love with Jesus. It means I know that I love the Lord. It means that I know that it is His love that is in me. It means that I surrendered all and all that I've not surrendered I do so daily to Jesus. It means that I know that "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." is keeping me from dangers seen and unseen, picks me up when I am down, catches me when I stumble or fall, helps me to discern the needs of those around me, helps me to encourage others and to praise God even when I don't feel like it.

This is what it means to be "in Christ" to me. :)

I believe that being in Christ means that I am an extenstion of him, meaning that I must ask myself continuously what would jesus do and act like him in an effort to be "in Christ" or "incorporated in Christ". I wish I had looked at this question before today. I have encountered many events in my life, especially the past few months, weeks, days where I have not acted as if I am in Christ or incorporated by Christ. But I hope that I can move forward with an renewed sense that I am in Christ and should act accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...

To be"in Christ" means to me to have the same mind as Christ, His thoughts, his sentiments, His way of acting...being incorporated into Christ! The implications of this for my life is that before I act, or make a decision I must stop and think to myself "How would Christ act in this circumstance?" Then make my decisions ... To be certain this does not work all the time. Most of the time I am in such a hurry to get done all that is facing me during the day that I don't know how to slow down and ask myself this question..."How would Christ act in this circumstance?" spk

Spiritual blessings in Christ means we have all the benefits of knowing God. We received salvation and being adopted as His children. Marked with a seal of approval. These blessings are eternal and not because we did something good or earned it, this is a free gift from God in Jesus Christ. To be IN Christ is to have everything He Is. We are holy in Christ, we are righteous in Christ, we received the Holy Spirit. We have salvation now and a intimate free relationship with God.

I know that just by knowing who you are in Christ, you know more and the most importance of the whole bible.

It is solid as a rock. Anything could happen to you in life and it won't blow you away, because this solid rock you build

your life IN Christ IS Jesus. Ask me I experienced it.