JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. I Am the Resurrection and the Life

:rolleyes: Jesus when he said that he was the resuraction and the life was showing that he was the long awaited messiah that the jews had been waiting for He was also the passover lamb who was the sacrifice on the cross for our sins the part Jesus played in the resurection was dying on the cross for our sins so that we once again were able to go to God direct so enabling us to have eternal life once we asked ror forgiveness off our sins

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (John 11:23-25) What do you think Jesus meant when he said, "I am the resurrection and the life"? What role will Jesus play in the resurrection of the dead?

When He said He was the resurrection and the life, He also said those who believe in me, even though they die like everyone else, will live again. They are given eternal life and believing in me and they will never perish. He will pay the main Role.

• 3 months later...
Q3. (John 11:23-25) What do you think Jesus meant when he said, "I am the resurrection and the life"? What role will Jesus play in the resurrection of the dead?

Jesus was saying I am life , am why you live and i am why you will rise up and go to heaven or hell!! Im he who givees you breath i breathed into your nostrils i am he. Jesus is who will descend to raise the dead ,as well as the church.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Such a good question! I have never pondered this one before. I am torn between two ideas:

1. We are reading too much into the I AM part (I mean, we are reading it too grammatically). It is meant to identify Jesus with God, not as the embodiment of resurrection, whatever that may mean OR

2. We should not expect to retain our individuality when we devote ourselves to Jesus. In a sense, we have life, but we have HIS life: we are identified with Jesus, and live the same life he is living. Like "soul fusion" with Jesus.

I am definitely open to other suggestions, as I am not sure that I like my own ideas!

• 1 month later...

I think He meant that, since He rose from the dead and now is alive forevermore, then those of us who believe shall be raised incorruptible like Him. Jesus is our life, because in Him we have life.

That He alone is the reason that there will be another life after death and that He is the second life. Jesus said that He will raise the dead and that He will judge the righteous and unrighteous.

Q3. (John 11:23-25)

What do you think Jesus meant when he said, "I am the resurrection and the life"?

What role will Jesus play in the resurrection of the dead?

Jesus is the resurrection and the life. Because He lives we too shall live. If Jesus is removed there is nothing but death left. So when we realise this, we can be assured that He is the cause and source of our resurrection and of our eternal life. We know, as believers, that we will be in His presence and that our resurrection and eternal life is guaranteed.

I have really been enjoying this study and am very much feeling the gravity (no pun in light of Christ arising...haha) of the study.

In response to the question regarding John 11:25, I was drawn to John 11:4 (back to Lazarus and foreshadowing resurrection) When He heard this, Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory that God's son may be glorified through it."

The sickness mentioned that will not end in death can be also related to the sickness of sin. Sin shall not end our lives in death!

sickness in this verse in greek is astheneia

defined as - disease, infirmity, sickness, weakness.

From asthenes; feebleness (of mind or body); by implication, malady; morally, frailty -- disease, infirmity, sickness, weakness.

Psalm 41:41 I said, "O LORD, have mercy on me; heal me, for I have sinned against you."

He is asking to be healed of sin in this reference by a healer or "Physician". He is asking to be healed from sin just as he would a physical illness or ailment. Further evidence is seen in many references to sin/sickness

I am also reminded that it is ALL for His glory. My resurrection is for His glory. Not only resurrection at the end of this mortal life, but by dying in "life" to self-sin-weakness-flesh and my daily resurrection through Christ is for His Glory, too!

I love the last line in John 11:25-26 and think that maybe it is the most important one to ponder...Do you believe this?

Q3. (John 11:23-25) What do you think Jesus meant when he said, "I am the resurrection and the life"? What role will Jesus play in the resurrection of the dead.

Joh 11:23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

Joh 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth on me, though he die, yet shall he live;

It is because of the sacrifice of Jesus we can look forward to life and the resurrection. Jesus is the resurrection. It is His defeating death that we may have life. At point of the resurrection Jesus will also be the one to determine the just from the unjust...the goats from the sheep.

Jesus meant that in Him those that believed in Him and followed His Way would be bodily resurrected on the last day and in Him they (we) would have everlasting life. Jesus will raise the dead from the grave on the last day. God the Father gave Jesus Christ (God the Son), power over life and death. The Bible teaches that that power is in the Holy Spirit which raised Jesus from the Dead. Praise be to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

A3. 6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Jesus is saying I am the gateway, the bridge, the passage way, the only way to everlasting life with God the father all mighty. Thru Jesus the righteous, dead and living, will live again! But you can only get to that life, eternal life with our eternal Father, through Jesus Christ, our Lord and savior. Those that believe in Christ Jesus will arise from the grave, to live eternal life with God the Father.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and the life" by this He meant he has power over the grave. He is the first fruit of those risen from the grave. To Jesus resurrection from the dead is not a myth or a make-up belief about the future event.

Jesus himself is intricately involved as the Agent of Resurrection. Praise Him! Glory!! Alleluia!!!

Death has no power over Jesus. Jesus conquered death and took away its sting. After his resurrection from the dead he went straight to hell and disarm the devil and his cohorts. He paraded them around and took their power to harm us. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life and nothing can overpower the life of God in us. As Jesus lives we live also. As he resurrected from the dead we do too. He lives forever. This is what Jesus meant when he said, "I am the resurrection and the life."

The role Jesus play in the resurrection of the dead is that he is the first fruit of those risen from the dead. Death does not have to hold him captive in the grave. He is risen from the dead. Glory! Alleluia!!

Jesus is the proof that those that believe in him will also be raised to eternal life to live with him in glory.

1 Thess 4:16-18 says it all. Jesus is the one who will make the resurrection of the faithful happen. Just as God, with a word, spoke creation into being at the genesis of time, so Jesus at the beginning of eternity will shout the resurrection into being along with a blast of the shofar by the archangel. WOW what a day. Maranatha!

4. The Jews believed that the soul of a dead person remained in the vicinity of the body for three days. They believed that only after the third day did the soul enter the realm of the dead, leaving the body to decay. The chief priests and Pharisees, then, wanted to make the tomb secure until they knew for sure that Jesus was really dead.

I remember when I was a hospital chaplain that I had to sit with family around the body of a woman who had died. They believed that her soul would stay in the room where she died for 3 days and they would not remove the body until after the 3 days had passed!

Jesus' enemies did not really believe that he would rise on the third day. But just to make sure that the disciples did not steal the body and

Jesus has defeated death and those who believe in Him will have everlasting life. At the time of the resurrection Jesus will separate the righteous from the unrighteous.

Joh 11:23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."

Joh 11:24 Martha said to him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day."

Joh 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live,

Jesus is the reason that we have hope for everlasting life. He is the resurrection and life and without Him we are lost. Jesus has the power to give life to the dead. Jesus will call forth those who believe in Him and have a relationship with Him to life.

John 11:23-25 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again." Martha said to him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day." Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live,

When Jesus said " I am the resurrection and the life" he means that he is a perfect sacrifice for our resurrection, but without the resurrection of Jesus, We're nothing meaning lost forever!