JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Tasting Death for Everyone

In what ways did "Christ taste death for everyone"? Why is this so dependent upon God's grace? If Christ died for your blackest and most stubborn sins,what are the implications for you?

He tasted death by dying on the cross for our sins so we can have the salvation.We are dependent on God's grace because He is superior to all of us and His Holy Spirit so we can have the grace. When He died for the blackest of sins that means that we should be able to go to Him,to be able to go near to Him with everything.We are to not fear those who are around us and to follow after Christ in many ways

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Word of implications:

Loving the fear out of the world means we see others for what they can be, not for what they appear to be now. Jesus called Peter a rock when the fisherman was still acting on impulse (Matt. 16:18), and God called Gideon a mighty man of courage when he was hiding from the enemy among piles of grain. (Judges 6:11-12) God calls us to encourage and affirm each other (1 Thessalonians 5:11), seeing those around us in terms of their purpose and mission in life.

*from a daily devotional

Jesus bore the full weight of human sin and God's wrath/punishment of sin upon the cross. This could only have been done through the grace of God Almighty -- God the Father. Humanity isn't capable of saving itself. As a result of what Jesus did for me on the cross I owe Him everything. I must give Him everything I have. All for Him.

Q2. (Hebrews 2:9) In what way did Christ "taste death for everyone"? Why is this so dependent upon God's grace? If Christ died for your blackest and most stubborn sins, what are the implications for you?

In what way did Christ "taste death for everyone"?

Angels are immortal and cannot die so Jesus was made lower than the angels in the form of man in order to taste death for mankind

Why is this so dependent upon God's grace?

Because of we are created like him (little gods) that even the angels could not fathom what it is He has with mankind - it is not his will that we perish so he had such grace towards us and still do

If Christ died for your blackest and most stubborn sins, what are the implications for you?

That I should be sold out to Him and Him only, I must at all times pray, praise, and worship HIm. I must share and give love cause love came down from heaven

Q2. (Hebrews 2:9) In what way did Christ "taste death for everyone"? Why is this so dependent upon God's grace? If Christ died for your blackest and most stubborn sins, what are the implications for you?

Jesus being fully dinve, God's Son, He became fully human, to die on the cross to save us. Jesus death on the cross, dying for our sins, He substitute himself for our own sins, due not to any merit of our own, was by the grace of God. When I looked back at my past life and the blackest of my sins, Iam worthy of death and hell. But the blood of Jesus washed and cleansed me.

• 2 weeks later...

By taking our sins upon Himself on the cross and died so we could have etermal life with Him and the Father. Jesus was used as a substitute for our sins. In the we sin against Him each and every day. He alone will be the Judge, so only He can say what it takes for us to become right in His sight. It is by His Grace alone that we are fofgiven our sins.

It means that not only do I need to be thankful that Christ chose to die for me but that I also should be greatful that God would pardon me and give me the strength to seek to follow after Christ and worship the Father and be in right standing with Him. If I continue with my sins, after I know what God has done for me, then I am rejecting the pain and suffering that Jesus suffered for me and I am also rejecting Him as my Lord and Saviour.

Jesus was ranked little lower than the angels for only a little while because He knew that He was to earn His crown of glory and honor in just a little while after He suffered and died for us. He tasted death in our stead not only to save us but to endure what death was like for us. he came and lived in the flesh, knowing what it was like to live here on earth as a man and so dying really was something he must do as well to understand to complete package of what is in a human life.

We didn't do anything to earn life or death. We didn't do anything to deserve salvation. We are all here only by the pure grace of God who sent His only Son to die in our stead, so that we would be able to make a choice to take Jesus up on His Gift, His offering to us ... of eternal life. God could have wiped everyone of man kind off the planet but one man, Noah found grace in the eyes of God. Genesis 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. God saved eight sinners from the flood that cleansed the earth. Jesus died to cleanse the heart and soul of mankind. It was still by the grace of God that Jesus came here. It is still by the grace of God that any of us are on this planet now.

What are the implications for me? That I must live and die by that same grace that comes from God knowing all along that I do not deserve it but that God has a purpose and a plan for my life and therefore I live.

Q2. (Hebrews 2:9) In what way did Christ "taste death for everyone"?

God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, 'Christ died for us

What is this grace of God? It is unmerited, undeserved, unearned favor. God's grace is seen in the death and resurrection of Jesus, our gift from God. It is by the blood shed on the Cross of Calvary, and our faith in the Christ Jesus that washed us clean from sin. It is by this grace, this love for us that we are saved from the hold sin had on us. His grace is also seen in the giving to us the Holy Spirit, so we can walk in His grace and mercy and be a testimony to the power of the cross.

If Christ died for your blackest and most stubborn sins, what are the implications for you? Sin is covered by the blood of Jesus Christ, grace is based upon the work Jesus did for us and not on anything we have done. SO! if grace abound when we were yet sinners, should we continue in our sin? Paul answered, God forbid, no, never.

Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin!

His death was the atonement for everyone who has ever live. All this so we will have eternal life and never really experience death. Of course we will have a physical death, this is unavoidable. But, we will live in eternity with the Triune God.

There is nothing we can do for God. He initiated the whole of the universe, it was all His idea. When Adam and Eve chose to disobey God and rebel against His authority, it left the legacy of a root of 'wrong being' in the rest of humanity to follow. We are born this way. Much like a birth defect. We didn't choose it but there it is amyway. The only remedy is the one our Merciful, Gracious God provided through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All this revealed and ever-present with the indwelling Holy Spirit...all this is a gift to be received. It is already done...there is nothing we could or should add...just receive.

If Christ died for your blackest and most stubborn sins, what are the implications for you?

I am to receive it and believe it, end of story. It's that simple and that complex all at once.

Jesus took our place on the cross, taking the consequences our sins on to himself and died in our place.

Without God

Jesus tasted death for all by His suffering. Christ's death for sin was substituted for our own.

He took the punishment that we deserve.

This is dependent on God's grace because it is only by the grace of God that Jesus was allowed to substitute His death for our own.

The implications for us is that we are to accept by faith that Jesus died for our sins. We are to accept Him as our Savior and Lord.

• 4 weeks later...

Just as the First Adam, as representative of the human race, tasted death upon his act of sinful rebellion against the Lord God and became a curse upon all of mankind to follow him; the Second Adam became a curse for us when He went to the cross to be put to death to be substituted for us who believe upon Him for the wrath of the Lord God upon all of our sins; thus He tasted death for us by His death upon the cross as our representative of God

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Jesus experienced death!-Amazing eh! The 2nd person of the Godhead, the co creator of the worlds experienced death! His heart stopped, no more breathe, He was absolutely 100% dead- a corpse!

Not only did He experience death, He experienced a painful death, He suffered in death physically and emotionally, and was murdered and executed as a criminal although He was more innocent than we can understand.

Later we read that through this act He rendered powerless the one who had power over death

Christ tasted death because SIN means death and He took on the sins of the world. It is dependent upon God's grace because without His grace He wouldn't have sent His precious Son to die for me and for you.......

The implications for me......is that He made away for me to be brought into glory with Him. HE died for my sins so that i would not suffer the pains of spiritual death. Therefore i have assurance to live on high with Him on that glorious day!!

• 2 months later...

Christ tasted death for us by sacrificing himself to the cross. He had suffered torture and slander for all of us. He tasted what death feels like. God's grace was extended to us through this. It is hard to try and figure out why God would do such a thing: send his own son out to die, but he was thinking Big. God's thoughts are not our thoughts- he has Godly wisdom, and in that wisdom He found that sacrificing his Son to the cross, would be grace to us. Christ suffered, then died for our blackest sins to be covered. What does this mean? Well, I believe it means that we are precious and dear to God too. So this means that we can all be saved.

• 1 month later...

By becoming that spotless and final sacrifice that we are incapable of providing for ourselves or through the law of Moses which only covered the sins temporarily, it didn't take them away. Sacrifice was made often and only for the individual offering the sacrifice (unless the high priest was offering sacrifice for the nation of Israel).

Hebrews 2:9a "But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death"...

Hebrews 10:10 "By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all"..

Hebrews 9:22 "And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission."

Heb 9:12 "Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us."

Also, we note that he was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death.

Hebrews 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

Taking on the form of man allowed Him to better identify with humanity in their temptations and sufferings (even death). Everyone knows the person best suited to minister to the hurting has the ability to empathize rather than sympathize. They have been through the same thing first hand and know exactly what they're going through. Had He come in the form of an angel, He could not have tasted death since angels are eternal beings and do not die.

Hebrew 2:9c " ...that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man."

Man has proved time and again that he is not capable of keeping the totality of the law for very long at a time because of his fallen nature. He always stumbles and falls, or strays completely away from the LORD. The entire purpose of the law anyway was to teach us that we cannot live up to the holiness of God while trapped in these bodies of flesh.

Ga 3:24

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Ga 3:25

But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

God's solution was to prepare an acceptable sacrifice for us in His Son. Now we can come to Christ and live by faith in the atoning sacrifice of the spotless 'Lamb' which washed our sins away, never to be remember against us again. We are able to do this only by and through the grace of our loving and merciful God.

Christ died for our sins so we could be saved simply by accepting His grace through faith and nothing we can do. We have been ordained to walk in good works as a testimony to His saving grace (not works that save us, but works that are an outward manifestation of the inner grace we have received...(sort of a natural by product of salvation).

Ephesians 2:8-10 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

Jesus suffered a violent death to redeem all of creation.

There is NOTHING I can do to seperate myself from God's love. That is so hard for us to comprehend. There is also nothing I can do to deserve what God has done for me, other than accept this gift of ultimate love and sacrifice. I pray that I will please our Heavenly Father in the things that I say and do. Thank you Lord for all that you have done for us. For the love and grace you have bestowed upon us. You are the Alpha and Omega, I pray that You will be my heart's desire and that I will long for you all the days of my life.

The death that Christ tasted may not have been merely physical, but spiritual as well. The wage of sin which God forewarned to Adam and Eve was death. This death was certainly a spiritual death because God said they would die when they ate of the forbidden fruit, not hundreds of years later. Christ was made sin on the cross, therefore he must have died spiritually and been seperated from God. Indeed, Christ cried out "My God, My God why hast thou foraken me." I believe it was his tasting of spiritual death that allowed Him to say "forgive them Father, for they don't know what they are doing." In doing this, He was reporting to God what it was like to be spiritually dead - Jesus was saying "these people who are crucifying me dont see what they are really doing because they dont know you in this spiritually dead condition - don't hold them responsible because they wouldn't do it if they really knew you."

Christ's taste of death was dependent upon God's grace because Jesus was not obligated to die, since He himself had not sinned against God. We (Adam) were obligated to die and could do nothing to win back our spiritual life.

The implication of substitutionary atonement for me is spiritual life. Christ died so that I may live. He paid my debt of spiritual death and my sins have been forgiven. What is more, the spiritual life He gives me comes with a removal of the old sinful nature by circumcision performed by the Holy Spirit, as well as power to do good deeds so that the Majestic Glory may be trusted and praised by those who do not yet known Him

• 2 weeks later...

1) Jesus died as a substitute for every one, so that those who are In christ as believers when they die, do not die the second death of eternal damnation. He is the sacrificial lamb.

2) It's totally God's grace...a free gift. It has nothing to do with anything anyone does...we can't earn it.

3) The implication is that I am forgiven, washed clean by the blood of Jesus through His death and resurrection, and my sins are remembered no more...they are in the "deepest part of the ocean"...and He has put out a no fishing sign, (as Corrie Ten boom liked to remind us) Through His death on the cross, He bought and paid for my eternal life with Him in Heaven.