JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. The Assurance of the Spirit's Presence

Q6. (Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray 'Abba, Father'? What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad? What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation? How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, by which we cry, Abba, Father.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself testifieth with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Rom 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if we suffer with him, that we may be glorified together.

The Spirit Himself testifies that we are children of God. We dont view our Lord as some kind of impersonal God but He is a very personal caring loving God who has adopted us and shares all with us once we accept Him for who He is and what He has done for us. We have a God who loves us as a father loves his children in fact with perfect love for us. We walk in uncertainty when we do not have the Holy Spirits assurance of salvation. We will always try to bring about salvation which in all reality we can do nothing to bring this about but accept Christ as our Saviour. He bought our salvation with His life. The Holy Spirit living within us brings about and testifies to the personal assurance of salvation. There is nothing within our physical bodies that can give us this assurance...It comes from God Himself...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q6. (Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray 'Abba, Father'? What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad? What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation? How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?

the holy spirit testifies to me and you

will god loves us as his kids so that means that we should see him as are dad.

will we would have no hope we will think that we have to do all things alone.

will we have to look for gods will

Q6. (Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray "Abba, Father"? What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad? What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation? How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?

1.So that we can giving thanks for what he done for us.

2.I think referring God and dad are the same meaning what you've pray to.

3.that means your nothing, you don't have a holy spirit in you, and not save.

4.we pray to God, we read our bibles, and we take care of them.

How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray "Abba, Father? What is the significance of us referring to God our Dad? What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation? How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?

he is our father so it is OK.

he loves all of his children which is us human beings

we would be terrible Christians

we pray and read the bible and be very very good Christians

• 2 months later...

I have never really thought about the Spirit's testimony to myself before, but it makes sense now! When you have kids, they know and the parents know, on a rational level, that the children are their own. I know on a rational level that I am saved. However, we all know that children need that frequent, probably daily,reassurance that they are loved and treasured by us. Even though we don't have to tell them for them to "know" it, telling them increases their feeling of value and worth and brings them closer to us. I am going to ask the Spirit to help me sense his testimony of assurance today.

• 4 months later...

The Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. If we've heard the testimony of the Spirit, we'll never once doubt again our rightful sonship and daughtership of God, we'll no longer be afraid or worrying, for God will take care us, in the past, now, and in the future. Referring to God as our Daddy means an intimate, personal relationship with God; it is emotional and spiritual, it is an intense feeling and longing, and we feel with all our being that our existence is because of God, that without Him, we are not. If we do not have this kind of personal assurance, our life will be akin to 'hell' - full of fear and darkness, because of an alienation from God, from our Father. To receive this assurance we must seek God earnestly and cry out to him like lost children, then He will come and dwell in us, and we will never be lost again. "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." God loves us so much; He want to be there for us, to be in our lives. Let us open ourselves to Him.

• 1 month later...

I think the significance here is the same when you compare a little boy looking up to his father. His father is his mentor, his protection, his role model, his inspiration. His farther means everything to him and so must we feel about God.

When our spirit links with the Holy Spirit then that is all the evidence you need to prove that we are God

Q6. (Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray 'Abba, Father'?

The Holy Spirit inspire us to pray 'Abba, Father' by infilling and empowering us as we cry out 'Abba, Father.'

What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad

When we refer to God as our Dad we promote intimacy in our relationship.

What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation?

When we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation in our lives we live in fear of damnation.

How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?

We receive this kind of personal assurance when we truly repent and accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. It is at this time that the Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit giving us the assurance that God has given us salvation.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus can be in our head but not in our heart.

Then we know about Him without feeling inner peace in Him.

Personal assurance makes it easier to fight the devil.

Then we can tell him with confidence to back off.

Praying?

• 3 weeks later...

How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray 'Abba, Father'?

The Spirit is always testifying that we are the children of God....so this makes us want to scry our to Abba, Father...our Daddy, God.

What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad?

It shows us that we indeed have that closeness that we as humans desire and we relate to our Dads...so what better than a heavenly Daddy.

What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation?

If we do not have that personal salvation assurance we can get caught up in doubt, working our way to salavation, or becoming so legalistic that we lose our joy.

It is a step of faith...a walk of trust and then we can be filled with the love of Christ Jesus.....it is nothing that we have done or can do but it is a gift to us.

• 3 weeks later...

6a)The Holy Spirit acts upon our own personal spirit & shows us our need of God,prompting us to cry out as a child to our heavenly father. B) B)In faith we are children of God when we believe,&have an intimate relationship with our heavenly father.c)Our lives would have no hope, no assurance of salvation without Christ.We need his protection & help :) D)If we repent, believe Christ conquerd death for our us in faith & accept his forgiveness, we have the internal testimony of the Spirit that God gives is to assure us of our salvation. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Q6. (Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray "Abba, Father"? What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad? What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation? How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?

Answer:

1.How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray "Abba, Father"?

The Holy Spirit was Given to us by the Heavenly Father Himself(Luke 11:13-If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?)

It is a sign of approval for those Who believe that He send His Son,to redeem mankind,and confesses that Jesus is Lord---

1 Corinthians 12:3--Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost

Ephesians 1:13-In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

The Holy Spirit is represent Jesus living in the inside of us,and since God is a Spirit(Joh 4:24),He(God) relates only through the Holy Spirit in us.And when we accept Jesus as our personal Saviour,The Heavenly Father See JESUS IN US,and not our physical self.HE SEE JESUS IN US,THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT,praying,and mediating for us.

• 1 month later...

6.a. The Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God inspiring us to pray "Abba, Father".

b. We are adopted by God being his child we can trust, rely and depend on Him.

c. We must have personal assurance by the Holy Spirit of our salvation because having it gives us the faith, encouragement, and excitement to desire after and know and serve God. If you don't have that how can you know you are saved?

d. I wondered: what is life all about, is this all there is? We must seek and desire after God knowing that we are helpless to save ourselves in our situation and we need Him. He even give us the faith and grace we need to do this.

• 1 month later...

The Spirit inspires a person to pray Abba Father by giving us the assurance that we are children of God as believers in Jesus Christ. When we refer to God as our Dad we show that we have a personal intimate relationship with Him, not a formal fearful approach to Him. If we do not have an assurance of our salvation we will not have hope that we will live forever with God; we will be separated from Him for eternity. We receive this personal assurance by the witness of the Holy Spirit which assures us we are a child of God.

• 1 month later...

Q6. (Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray 'Abba, Father'?

By assuring us via direct communication with our spirit that we are indeed saved regenerated sons of God, with the rights and privileges a son has, including the ability to call Him "Dad" as we would an earthly father.

What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad?

It is a response of love to God for what He has done for us.

We miss out on the close familial relationship with God. We're still Christians, still saved, but we have doubts and fears that we are still under some kind of punishment clause.

It has to come from God. It's a mystery, a mystical thing that can't be explained in an instructional way. There's no magical prayer we can pray that will make it happen. It comes as a result of walking in the Holy Spirit and not according to the flesh.

• 3 months later...

My personal assurance is about feeling good now, feeling the Spirit is leading my actions, words, etc.

He lives in me; He said, "remain in me..." Oh, Lord let if be this way 24/7, 365 days a year!

Having the perfect, wise father, what is better than that? Getting the right advice 100%. Praise and thank God!

• 4 months later...

I realized that, the closer I got to the Father, the more I realized that I wanted a personal relationship with Him. I love Him with all my heart, and I desire a closer walk with Him every moment of every day. My spirit is on the same page as the Spirit of God in me, and reassures me that I belong to god through Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.

• 4 weeks later...

We are adopted sons of God and the Spirit tells us this. God is our Dad and so we are joint-heirs with Christ.

A lack of personal assurance of salvation can cause us to be unstable and feel distant from God. We can receive assurance by studying the scriptures and praying and seeking to develop a personal relationship with our God.

• 3 months later...

(Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray "Abba, Father"? He inspires us by confirming that we belong to Him, thus we can cry, "ABBA FATHER!" We are His children and have the right to call Him Abba!

What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad? Calling God as our Dad signifies that we are truly His children. His Spirit confirms with our Spirit that we are His children. It should an intimacy and closeness with Him.

What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation? Oh, we miss out on the blessings of our salvation. We won't walk in victory and assurance. We'll probably live in fear never knowing where we stand. We would not be able to accept all of what God gave us through salvation.

How do we receive this kind of personal assurance? We receive it by earnestly seeking God in prayer.

• 1 year later...

The Holy Spirit witnesses to us that we belong to God, He is our Father, our Dad. We were created by Him as His children so we can accept that and relate to Him as our Father. If we dont have personal assurance we are somewhat adrift and we try to do things on our own. By walking with Him constantly hand in hand

• 1 month later...

A1. romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. It gives us assurance that we belong to God and have become joint-heirs with Christ Jesus, who saw it not robbery to be equal with God. Philippians 2 - 5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

A2. That we have a very personal and endearing relationship with him.

A3. We begin to doubt and stray away.

A4. Through Faith. Hebrews 6: 9But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak. 10For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. 11And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: 12That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

God's Promise is Certain: 13For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself, 14Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee. 15And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise. 16For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife. 17Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: 18That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: 19Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; 20Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Hebrews 11:6. But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

2 Corinthians 5:7 - (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)

• 4 months later...

6. (Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray "Abba, Father"? What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad? What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation? How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?

God loves us so much and has adopted us into His family. We are children of God. He wants to be intimate with us in our relationship. If we don't have assurance we live in constant doubt and guilt. We can receive this assurance by asking The Lord for it.

• 10 months later...

The Holy Spirit in our lives testifies with our spirit that we are children of God. Because of Gods love for us we are in His family, when we pray, our spirit cries out to our Heavenly Father "ABBA", it is the Holy Spirit Himself who helps pray for things we know of and God directly testifies to our heart, through Christ sacrifice we are brought directly to throne of God Himself, He is our Dad in Heaven.

If we have no personal assurance of salvation then we have not put our trust in what Christ has done for us on the cross. His redemptive power and sending the Holy Spirit to witness with us is the greatest assurance we have. If no filling of the Holy Spirit or inner feeling of His love, you rest assured you are not one of Gods chosen or you believe not in Him.    

• 7 months later...

Paul writes ""The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children." (8:16) Thus the Holy Spirit convicts us by the presence, by a sincere sense  of the love of God, a sense that God so loved the world (Jn 3.16), by, as Wesley says warms our heart in a strange way and we KNOW that we are loved and that the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, the God who gave us the new covenant in Jesus will not see us perish but give us eternal life in this world and will hold us closely and warmly in His embrace forever.

With this personal assurance by the Holy Spirit we are then free to become comfortable with God; no longer is he the feared judge but he now becomes Abba-Daddy. Without this personal assurance we tend to fear God but once we are assured of our place in the kingdom of God, both now and in eternity we can relax and enjoy the ride. For the promise is to good to be true and we have the assurance of the Holy  Spirit that our hope is not in vain!