JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

:rolleyes: Q1. (1 Timothy 3:2-12) What kind of leader do you believe Paul is indicating for us with the phrase "husband of one wife"? Why is a leader's family an important indicator of leadership potential or problems?

I believe that Paul is talking about faithfulness. If a man is faithful to God, he will be faithful to his spouse. If a man is not faithful to God and His Word, he lacks respect for the Lord. That unfaithfullness could affect his relationship with his spouse. God is to be the one and only focus in our lives and when that happens it flows through the rest of our relationships and actions towards others. We learn that we would not want to have our love divided between the things of this world and Him when He is orchestrating our lives.

I believe that how a man conducts his home is how he conducts the other affairs of his life.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 Timothy 3:2-12) What kind of leader do you believe Paul is indicating for us with the phrase "husband of one wife"? Why is a leader's family an important indicator of leadership potential or problems?

That as a church leader one should be "Blamless" ( not to laid hold of), Husband of one wife literally means "a one-woman kind of man"or as referring specifically to those who have remarried after devorce. Temperate (sober or clearheaded), sober-minded must have control of his body and mind, balance state of mind self-restraint or good behavior (orderly), hospitable (loving strangers), able to teach (qualified to teach, or be teachable).

Q1. (1 Timothy 3:2-12) What kind of leader do you believe Paul is indicating for us with the phrase "husband of one wife"? Why is a leader's family an important indicator of leadership potential or problems?

Paul was looking for a Leader?

At the potential elder in his present condition, since his conversion,

Or over his lifetime? What do the other qualifications suggest in

This regard, if any, result in the

Dissolution of the marriage relationship besides death;

At the time Paul wrote the Pastorals the

Office of elder was common in the churches since he had appointed elders

in churches that he had founded (Acts 14:23). This is the

Main quality that the following ones make clearer;

2. There have been many interpretations of the phrase "husband of

one wife" (Gr. mias gunaikos andra, v. 2). There are four major

views as to what Paul had in mind. First, the elder must be married.

Second, he must be married only once. Third, he must be

monogamous.( Marriage for Life) Fourth, he must be a moral husband. All the other

Qualifications are character traits.

Pax

Q1. (1 Timothy 3:2-12) What kind of leader do you believe Paul is indicating for us with the phrase "husband of one wife"?

Most likely Paul is referring to faithfulness within the marriage bond on the part of elders and deacons. This is important for three reasons: (1) God places a high priority on faithfulness and uses the relationship between Christ and the church to describe the relationship between husband and wife, Eph 5:23. (2) They must be considered above reproach in the larger community or they will bring disrepute on the church. (3) Their example will be emulated by families in the church. 2Tim 2:22 also commands us to

I believe Paul is referring to a leader who has remainded married and fatihful to his first wife. A leader's family is an important indicator of potential or problems because you can see how family members respond to the individual and how he reacts. The interactions of the family would give you an idea of how the man might respond in a leadership capcacity.

I think he was looking for someone who was settled. Had sown he wild oats. I have more respect for a leader who is married. They have a partner who is there for them. Sharing the burdens of life and the joys. We need to know our pastors and the family. The moods, the problems, not everything but be able to read them. I can tell when one of my pastors is moody or down and up. I am praying for them, giving them encourgement. I think we loose that in large churches. We have a disconnect. Then when it goes wrong we wonder why.

Paul is looking for a one woman man. A man who is commited to his wife.

Leadership is tested in the family. However his family is functioning could be a good indicater of how mature his walk with God is. Also if there is chaos in his family there most likely with be chaos under his leadership.

I'm single, so I don't know about everything I'm going to say, it just comes from observationand a few conversations that I've had with others.

I think that leading your own family, you have the opportunity to learn things about yourself and improve who you are. If your a good parent and spouse, you're learning how to give grace in ways that I as a single person don't have to. YOu're learning how to teach and how to show pride in the things your family does. You're learning how to deal with disappointments and struggles with other people. And your ability in these areas is going to come through by your children. If they are angry and rebellious, that is a reflection on you. And when they act out, the people in the church will start to make guesses about why.

that's not to say that single people can't grow in some of these areas. But the opportunities for them to are different. It also isn't to say that single people can't lead churches. Paul himself said that he thought all people should be single so they can completely give themselves over to the work of the church. However, single people have a different set of challenges and we grow in different ways than married people.

I have been married 24 yrs and this answer is very accurate.

I believe that what Paul was speaking about when he said a "husband of one wife" is that he was not out carousing around.

Believe he had to be a person that was faithful to his wife and only one wife. I do not believe he was speaking of someone who had remarried because of death or divorce.

It is important that he can lead his family well. If he can't lead his family how is he going to be able to lead a whole church family. He must be a man who is respected by his own family. The children should be obedient unto him. I must add that if they are 18 and not living at home he no longer has control over them and therefore it would not be appropriate it hold him responsible for their life now. To lead your family well you must be a person who takes care of them and has their best interest in mind, not a dictator, but a loving, patient dad.

A question I ask of myself after reading chapter three in 1st Timothy. Does my actions and re-actions represent the living Christ?

Q1. (1 Timothy 3:2-12) What kind of leader do you believe Paul is indicating for us with the phrase "husband of one wife"? He must be committed to his wife and remain faithful to his wife and visa versa.

Why is a leader's family an important indicator of leadership potential or problems? Because as the leader in his own family, he would then be a leader in a section or part of the whole body of Christ, representing Christ Jesus. :rolleyes:

Paul is establishing the character qualities required of the positions. As a servant of God one must carry themselves above reproach. The way you handle "the little things" is the same way you'd handle the spiritual requirements. Paul is not looking for those who change wives the way the do their socks. He wants someone wo will be a beacon on the hill drawing lost souls to Christ.

I think the kind of leader Paul was indicating is one that is true and faithful to his wife, the ssame with the church. They would be true and faithful to the church and to God. If a leader cannot manage his family with love and respect, they can't manage a church because of the lack of love and respect.

I believe by saying that, Paul is pointing to a person, who believes and commits himself to God's decree. For God made man and woman for each other, and they shall be one. A person who leaves by that is true to God and to himself. Separated from the world believes and committed to God.

By seeing one's family, you can tell a lot about the person. It shows his ability to lead. It shows how much he cares.

The leader I believe Paul is indicating for us with the phrase "husband of one wife" is one that is faithful within his marriage, that does not have sexual relations with women other than his wife

A leader's family is an important indicator of leadership potential or problems because the leader

Paul is talking about a leader worthy to follow, a pace setter, one people can look up to and lead the same kind of life his leading, one that can be called a mentor, one who can lead people to cross over the red sea.

When a leader is of good standing, then you find the followers living the kind of lifestyle he lives.

Q1. (1 Timothy 3:2-12)

1. What kind of leader do you believe Paul is indicating for us with the phrase "husband of one wife"?

This phrase "husband of one wife" indicate that as a leader he should be faithful and if he could not be faithful to his wife then he couldn't be faithful to his flock that God has entrusted into his hand. Also what is being said here is that as leaders we must go against the immoral standards in this pagen culture so prevalent in Ephesus.

2. Why is a leader's family an important indicator of leadership potential or problems?

Because One who runs his house well will do likewise with the church, and the family is the smallest unit and how can you be faithful with bigger things when you can't be faithful with the small.

• 2 weeks later...

The leader here that Paul is speaking of is a man that is in control of himself. I believe that if he had more than one wife or if he were fooling around with other women, how can he concentrate on anything important that he is responsible for? His mind is on how to please all those women and how they can please him. If there are more than one woman in his life there is going to be chaos. Every woman in his life is going to want his attention. If there are children they will need his attention. Now where will the church come in at this point? There will be no time for the needs of the church and the congregation.

Paul is talking about a man that has humility, love for God, love for his fellowman, love for Jesus Christ. A man with integrity, and morals.

If a man can not be head of his household then he can not be a head of his congregation because the qualities that a man possess as a leader of his congregation he should have those same qualities as head of his household.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul wants to ensure that leaders are people of character. Husband of one wife indicates someone who is able to commit and be faithful in the long term, through the good and the bad, not inclined to look for the easy option or satisfying his own need at the expense of another. A leader must be able to lead and influence others, a man's family life gives an indication of how succesful he is in this area. Children who are wild may indicate a lack of discipline or rebellion against someone who is unloving eg harsh towards them.

I believe Paul is speaking about one man married to one woman.

The behavior of family members under the leadership of a potential church leader can indicate his/hers leadership and personal stability.

The first verses in Chapter 3 all infer family stability; polygamy would be a cause for division and strife, as would unruly children. Church leaders need a stable and peaceful homelife in order to best serve the church. Paul is suggesting that the state of the family's homelife be used as a yardstick for the individual's potential for leadership and teaching ability. If they have not taught their family things of God, how can they be trusted with the teaching of the broader church family?

The first verses in Chapter 3 all infer family stability; polygamy would be a cause for division and strife, as would unruly children. Church leaders need a stable and peaceful homelife in order to best serve the church. Paul is suggesting that the state of the family's homelife be used as a yardstick for the individual's potential for leadership and teaching ability. If they have not taught their family things of God, how can they be trusted with the teaching of the broader church family?

• 2 weeks later...

Paul is looking for a leader who can set an example for those in the congregation and as a "husband of one wife" I believe he's referring to one who is faithful.

A leader's family is an important indicator of leadership because it's felt that if a man is unable to lead his own family well, he is unable to lead the church family well. I believe, however, that these situations need to be addressed individually. I remember as a young woman (about 25) with young children, attending a church where the pastor's 18 year old unmarried daughter got pregnant and they fired him. I remember him as a gentle, caring, Christ-loving man who led his church well, and was well spoken with a good sense of humor. At that time, I did not understand why he was judged for another's sins, although these verses were used as rationalization. I lost faith in that church, maybe because I felt that if I made a mistake, I would get the same kind of treatment, I don't know. For different people at different ages and stages of their Christian life, we put importance on different things, sometimes because it's close to our heart and sometimes because it's the extent of what we understand.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...