JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Father, Forgive Them (Luke 23:34)

I was thinking of either Pilate or religious leaders. But It does not matter to figure out who is most responsible for killing Jesus. It's because Jesus won't accuse or punish the person. We also can't just blame him/her because we all are sinners just like the person. When we still live in sin, fear, and unbelief, Jesus in Heaven is still praying for us, "Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing."   

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

Everyone has sinned, therefore we are responsible for Christ death on the cross, he paid our debt for our sin by becoming sin himself.

Our responsibility in this is that we realize we have sinned against God and need a savior to redeem us back to the Father.

Jesus was praying for us because we were or are ignorant of our offenses against God and our neighbors. 

• 1 month later...

Luke 23:34

34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”[a] And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

Footnotes:
  1. Luke 23:34 Some early manuscripts do not have this sentence.

Who was most responsible for killing Jesus?

We were. You and I made the cross necessary. We are the ones he prays to forgive.

What responsibility do you and I bear in this?

Everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Jesus came into this world to die for our sins. But God is far more merciful than any of us deserves. He has made a way that we do not deserve, because he knows that if we really knew the truth, we would embrace his Son.

In what sense was Jesus praying for us? 

Matthew 6:12

"And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." 

He is speaking of sins as a debt owed to God which must be paid. The Lord's Prayer asks God to cancel our debts --  as we cancel others' debt of sins committed against us.      

I feel that we all are responsible for Christ crucifixion on the cross, which didn't start with those of His time. Sin was born into the world through Adam and Eve, therefore, we all have sin and crucified Christ on that cross. All of us is to blame. Thanks to our Heavenly Father He found a way out for us so we wouldn't have to be doomed to hell and that is through Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior.

Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

Reading the words that Jesus said while he was nail through the wrist and ankles of " Father, forgive them for the know not what they have done" make me just sit back in aw, teary eyed, and so thankful that my Savior did this for me.  I am not a perfect person and I know that I have sinned to a point that Jesus is my only way but to think that during his time of total agony from the days of torture, then to be whipped mercilessly, and then dragging 400 lbs plus wooden cross across the city up to the top of the hill and then to be tied and nail through the flesh and bone and hung to die for the things that I have done in my life.  How can I say anything.  Accepting him as my Lord and Savior, repenting of my sins, and following his teachings and the narrow path is just a small thing that I can do for what he has done for me.  Jesus is my Savior and he is Risen.  I cannot even imagine the pain that He endured and still had the Words to say " Father, forgive them (me) for they know not what they have done".

We are all responsible, for it is our sin that made it necessary for Jesus to die on that cross. Our Heavenly Father loves us so much and wanted to look upon us with that love, but because of our sin he was unable to. But, now he is able to gaze upon us through the precious blood of Jesus Christ. 

(Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?  

• We all equally share in the responsibility for killing Jesus.  We were all sinners.  This was his main purpose for coming here on earth was to save us from our sins.  He loved us so that he prayed to his Father to forgive us.

Was this not preplanned in God’s divine plan of Salvation ? Yes I believe that it was God’s intent to send Jesus to offer an absolutely eternal sacrifice as compensation for sin -  obviously a fulfillment. Then again, Jesus, a Jew living in a different time – AD33 – where the Jews, Chief Priests, Scribes, Pharisees and Sadducees lived, not us – these people and not us, must be held accountable for killing Jesus. You and me a BIG NO.

Because humanity was in "the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will"(2 Tim 2:26), is why Scribes and Pharisees incited the crowds when Pilate found no guilt in the Jesus – “When the chief priests and the officers saw him, they cried out, Crucify him, crucify him! Pilate said to them, Take him yourselves and crucify him, for I find no guilt in him” (John 19:6)

St. Augustine wrote, "The true image of the Hebrew is Judas Iscariot, who sells the Lord for silver. The Jew can never understand the Scriptures and forever will bear the guilt for the death of Jesus.”

Jesus uttered, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 23:32~34) – for all present at the time of His passion and crucifixion – would they have done what they did if they had believed that He was the Son of God – they ignorant – refused to believe and envied the work of Jesus – fear of losing their status quo.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Jesus looked down from the cross and saw the roman soldiers casting lots for His clothing. The criminals on either side of the cross,the religious leaders were mocking Him. The crowd was making fun of Him. Jesus looked down and prayed Father forgive them. Jesus in His suffering and agony was asking for forgiveness. He asked the father to forgive the theives on the cross who made fun of Him,one of whom accepted His love and mercy. He asked Father to forgive the Roman soldiers who crucified Him. Jesus. Asked forgiveness for the angry crowd that mocked Him and shouted for His crucifixion. Jesus asked forgiveness for Sadducees and Pharisees who demanded His death.

Above all, Jesus was praying for forgiveness of all those who would ever believe in Him, past,present and future. Jesus paid the penalty for the sins we committed,offered himself as an eternal sacrifice.

Jesus says that he is the WAY, TRUTH and LIFE.

And certainly he is our only WAY back to God almighty. For me, the truth of Jesus dying on the cross encourages me that i cannot be burdened by sins. There is a way and he died on the cross.

We are all sins and we do partake in his crucifixion and He died because he knew that we will have those denial moments of his truth - those moments have been forgiven. We just need to believe in Him.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe Jesus asked the Father to forgive the sins of all the above.

I may not be the one of the soldiers who nailed and lifted Jesus on the cross; however, i am just as guilty. I am one of the people put him there. Jesus died for my sins. I cannot on my own take away my sins. Actually, he died for the sins of the whole world, not just my sins. Only he is without sin - the perfect sacrifice to wash away the sins of the human race. However, to be saved and have eternal live, one also must believe in Jesus - that he is the incarnate Son of God who came to the world and took away the sins of the world. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 3/23/2009 at 11:23 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

I think that we are all responsible for killing Jesus.  It started with the Jewish Leaders and ended with us.  It was for our sins that He gave his life.  Jesus knew that the people did not know what we were doing.  That is why he prayed for their forgiveness.  The same is for us today.  Jesus continues to pray for our forgiveness.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2009 at 8:23 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1 & 2.  I remember leaving church on Good Friday, as a young girl, feeling furious that "those people" killed our lovely Jesus! It wasn't until I was born again at age 30 that I realized I was just as responsible as the Roman soldiers, those who cried out to spare Barabbas instead of Jesus, Pilate and all of the others and that my sins of scarlet were nailed to the cross with Him and that only through His hideous suffering, shed blood, death then resurrection was I washed clean of all sin, past, present and future then raised to eternal and abundant life with Him!

3. Jesus' prayer was for "the whole world" from that day forward, "that whosoever would believe on Him would be saved!" I love that our Father gave Jesus the comfort of a new believer, hanging beside Him, condemned for being a thief, who was also included in His prayer.

On 3/23/2009 at 11:23 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I am the one that sent Jesus to the cross.  He died for my sins and the sins of the whole world.  John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.God, His Father allowed Jesus to die on the cross for my sins and the sins of the whole world, because He GAVE His only begotten Son.  "GAVE" - God voluntarily gave His Son, and Jesus willingly followed the will of God.  Mankind could not make claim to this.

For every sin, I commit or have committed Jesus died for.  That is why it is so important to repent with godly sorrow when I/we do wrong,  I John 1:9 - "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Jesus prayed for me through and because of God's mercy and His righteousness.  This is how God has forgiven me/us..

• 9 months later...

Though the soldiers carried out the act of killing Jesus, our sins were the true cause of the punishment and death. He bore each strike, gauge, lash, beating, etc. for our sins. Each was the markings of our sins. Jesus' prayer of Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do, was for all of mankind, soldiers, accusers and us. I believe He prayed out of love and our ignorance. We can never truly know the height or depth of the love and forgiveness He has shown. He is certainly good to us and loves us with an everlasting love!

• 4 weeks later...

Who was most responsible for killing Jesus?  I believe God was the Only One ALONE having the authority to do this. Yes, I understand that the ones who condemned Him & the Roman soldiers each played a part in carrying out the crucifixtion, but Jesus willingly went to the cross & died in obedience to His Father’s will. It is a scientific fact that any other human could have died from sheer blood loss & trauma many steps before the actual cross. But Jesus, Who could have called the angelic hosts to deliver Him at any moment chose to fulfill His Father’s plan to redeem mankind which fulfilled all the prophecies spoken hundreds of years before. 

As to what responsibility do I share in this it is my sin, my ****, unkindness, dishonor, unfaithfulness, selfishness, pride, etc., every sin I have, am, or will ever committ that made it necessary for God to give His Son. Eve was deceived & Adam sinned in a perfect environment & sin entered the world. I sin because I was born a sinner!  There would have been no was for me to go to Heaven - ever -apart from the innocent blood of Jesus that was shed on the cross for the redemption of my sin. Jesus paid the price that I could never have paid no matter how much I tried to live right. 

In what sense was Jesus praying for us?   He loves us and is well acquainted with our frailty & weakness. I’m so truly grateful that Jesus loved His Father & that love was extended to me. 

• 1 month later...

Q1 (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? 

The soldiers and Pilate, the chief priests and scribes.  In relationship in the treatment of Jesus, we all played a part.  It was out of reaction to the mob, cries of the people, ignorance, I don't know and I am not making excuses for unexplained  hatred, that is why,  Jesus asked his Father , to forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing,

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

I hope you are having a Terrific Tuesday.

Judas, Jesus' own disciple, was probably the most responsible for killing Jesus. Judas was so guilty; he hung himself. If the truth be told, all of us (the soldiers, Pilate, chief priests and scribes, the Pharisees and the Sadducees, all mankind) are responsible for Jesus' death.  "For God so loved the world, John 3:16;  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23. The responsibility I have and I bear in this is to thank God everyday for loving me and forgiving me through His Son's life, death, burial, and resurrection. I make sure I repent on a daily basis for my sins. I partake of and honor Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection when we observe the Lord's Supper/Holy Communion at my local church on the 1st Sunday of each month.  Also, as led by the Holy Spirit throughout the year, I fast and partake of Holy Communion then. Jesus was praying for us in a sense, because He said forgive "them" for they know not what they do. He was forgiving us as future mankind to be born on this earth for our ignorance in killing him. Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He is faithful and just to forgive us all our sins..... I John 1:9. Another awesome thing is Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us daily. Romans 8:34.

I come to this Bible study forum with an open mind and an open spirit. Thank you Dr. Ralph F. Wilson for this opportunity of studying, discussing, and getting other feedback on the Word. I am enjoying everyone's comments. I am truly being encouraged and inspired by your contribution to this forum.

• 9 months later...

We are responsible for killing Jesus. If we knew better than to sin and live by the flesh, He would not had to get on the cross and save us. I have sinned plenty and I have played my part in this. I am do glad Jesus loved me enough to take away the sins of me and my abusers. Jesus was praing for us in a sense of saving and rescuing us from death.

• 2 years later...

Everyone was responsible for killing Jesus that rejected him but at the same time even those who followed him was still responsible. Even if they did not really understand that. We are all responsible even though we were not born yet. It is our sin and rebellion that brought him to the cross. So Jesus in that sense was praying for all of us. All of us are guilty. We could never do enough good works to make up for our sins. We all needed a sacrifice which was Jesus.

• 1 year later...

Reading Luke 23:34

We were responsible for the innocent death of Our Savior Jesus, because of this sinful world. It all started in the Garden of Eden. This was something that had to happen. God already knew that He would be sacrificing His only Son ( which was God himself) to come and save this dying sinful world.

Forgiveness is part of walking with God as hard it may seem to forgive someone. The Lord's Prayer says it all. Amen